• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What are the current cancellation penalties for banking and borrowed points?

Mich Mouse

Poly Loving Disney Bride
Wondering if there is any advantage to canceling my two August reservations now. They are made up of a combination of current, borrowed and banked points.

Just hoping for the best possible outcome- I have a week in Aulani booked and a week at the Poly for my daughter.

I am hoping to understand this a bit better before I call MS

Thank you for your guidance- it is greatly appreciated.

Be well....

Wondering if there is any advantage to canceling my two August reservations now. They are made up of a combination of current, borrowed and banked points.

Just hoping for the best possible outcome- I have a week in Aulani booked and a week at the Poly for my daughter.

I am hoping to understand this a bit better before I call MS

Thank you for your guidance- it is greatly appreciated.

Be well....
The following applies to all reservations canceled during the closure, regardless of the UY of the points
  • No holding penalty - not a problem if you are canceling 31+ days ahead of arrival
  • Borrowed points are returned to their original UY - could end any time once resorts open, or even before

The other temporary changes only affect April and June UYs and are only effective for reservations that were canceled during the actual closure.
  • Banked points (from 2018) from canceled reservations will be extended 6 months from their expiration.
  • Current UY points will be extended 12 months from their expiration.

As mentioned, polices are subject to change and I think once information comes out as to when things will open, other than holding, I think the return of borrowed points will end,

Also, they are being pretty strict with banking window so if you haven’t passed it, there would be a benefit from canceling sooner rather than later

As mentioned, polices are subject to change and I think once information comes out as to when things will open, other than holding, I think the return of borrowed points will end,

Also, they are being pretty strict with banking window so if you haven’t passed it, there would be a benefit from canceling sooner rather than later
Even if you have passed your banking window they told me they will not allow banking past standard times if not April or June use year. My reservation was canceled today (May 24th-28th) and I was told no banking extension with my August use year. I am out points at this point.

Even if you have passed your banking window they told me they will not allow banking past standard times if not April or June use year. My reservation was canceled today (May 24th-28th) and I was told no banking extension with my August use year. I am out points at this point.

I wasn’t clear, I meant if the OP was still within their banking window for the points....they didn’t mention UY...canceling now would be better,

If your trip was canceled by Disney, I would call back. The website did say that a late banking would be allowed for other UYs if the trip is actually during a closure..not just a member canceling it ahead of time,

I just had a May reservation cancelled using points with a June UY. Per review of the site, I am not allowed to bank those or extend them past May 31. I would have thought this would have been automatic with their policy. Another portion of the reservation was using points from an Aug UY, so I am out those points. I am frustrated with the way DVC has treated its members throughout this situation.

Last edited:
I just had a May reservation cancelled using points with a June UY. Per review of the site, I am not allowed to bank those or extend them past May 31. I would have thought this would have been automatic with their policy. Another portion of the reservation was using points from an Aug UY, so I am out those points. I am frustrated with the way DVC has treated its members throughout this situation.

June UY points will be given exceptions. 2018 banked points get 6 months and 2019 UY will be banked late and good for a year.
They won’t show up until at least first week of June.
If you had the banked 2018 points, you will need to call. Not sure about 2019.

Aug UY 2018 banked so far has been given no extensions...although some have said they did allow late banking if they came from an actual date canceled by Disney..even if they did it themselves. I’d call!

I must be misunderstanding the notice on the member website. It seems both of you should be allowed to bank current year points.

Members with later Use Years should follow normal banking guidelines to bank their current Use Year Vacation Points. If a reservation was cancelled due to the Resort closure after the Member’s banking window, an exception will be made to bank the allotted Points associated with that reservation. https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/borrow-points/policy-updates/

Ok, so i went through the chat feature this time. The person I talked with said all my points used for that reservation would get banked. They also said it might take 4-6 weeks to happen though. Definitely listen to Sandisw and if you don't get answers that follow the policy call back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter