What are some things you missed on your first cruise ??

Lollipop's Mom

<font color=teal>Special trip with your little one
I think it would be fun to do a thread of things we had no idea about on our first cruise and missed, but want to make sure you catch on your next one (or caught on your next one!)

For instance - as I put in another post, because there was no room hangy thing for the room service breakfast in my room, I thought it was not available at all (the menu in the book showed only the regular food and breakfast is somewhere in the middle. lol).

Also, I thought all those treats in the cove cafe were for purchase and had no idea they were free! Definately visiting that this time a couple times!

What are yours?

I think it would be fun to do a thread of things we had no idea about on our first cruise and missed, but want to make sure you catch on your next one (or caught on your next one!)

For instance - as I put in another post, because there was no room hangy thing for the room service breakfast in my room, I thought it was not available at all (the menu in the book showed only the regular food and breakfast is somewhere in the middle. lol).

Also, I thought all those treats in the cove cafe were for purchase and had no idea they were free! Definately visiting that this time a couple times!What are yours?

I always thought they were extra too! They're so pretty, I just assumed there was an extra charge.

-We missed the dessert buffet, but from what I've read lots of people miss that one. Next time we'll know to look for it.
-We missed ALL of the entertainment between our early show and our late dinner seating. I feel bad for our kids who missed a lot of the family game-shows and stuff because we didn't think we had enough time to do all 3 things in such a tight time-frame. We have early dining for our next cruise and think this will help... especially since we've seen all the shows once already.
-I think my daughter missed all of the character appearances in the Club. I have no idea how, she was sure in there a lot.
-We missed out on the antenna toppers shaped like the ship. Bummer... next time I'll shop ASAP.
I'm sure we missed dozens things we don't even know existed... that's why we're doing it again!!

Ditto to what Moomy-san said! We missed out on all the family events/games they had going on because we had late seating. Our next cruise that we've booked we've got early seating so far and most likely going to keep it so we can do those family games next time!

We also missed the dessert buffet! (Not the pirate one, but the others have mentioned.)

We did find the 'secret' lounging area on Deck 7 of the Magic, but at night so the doors were locked. If we cruise that ship in our future, we'll at least check it out.

We also missed formal night and we'd planned and bought separate outfits just for that occasion! NOW I know NOT to book Palo dinner reservations for hubby and I on that night. (I know to do more research and find out which night is formal night before-hand if we want to attend that dinner as a family.)

We missed several of the shows like "Twice Charmed"... We will plan ahead better next time. We *thought* that maybe it would be showed more than once on the cruise and found out the hard way it is only that one night.

Now this wasn't ours nor DCL's fault, but we missed doing the double slides thing on CC. We got in line for it and were about 3 people away from doing it when they made everyone get out of the water because of the weather (low to no visibility due to a storm). Next time we'll head there FIRST and at least say we tried it.

Also, I thought all those treats in the cove cafe were for purchase and had no idea they were free! Definately visiting that this time a couple times!

What are yours?

Now, many of these we missed "intentionally" b/c we/the girls chose other activities (READ: KIDS CLUB).

We only saw Believe--which was the only one I put my foot down on. Next time --a 7nt-- we will see as many as I can force them into

We did get any family pictures b/c I'm a cheap skate. Well, I learned, not taking them, doesn't mean you won't want them--I'm budgeting big time on that next cruise.

Dessert buffet? WHAAAT? WHERE? Missed that.

We didn't see a movie onboard but will do that next time. Heck we might need two more cruises to fit it all in.:rotfl:

All the main restaurants! :rotfl2: Our first cruise was a 4 night. We upgraded at port to a concierge room and had DD1 with us and late dining, so while she slept we had dinner from the restaurants brought in. Looking forward to our 7 night this November. She'll be 3 and we'll be able to try them all out in person! :goodvibes

Dessert buffet other than Pirate night??? I gotta read that navigator better this time!
This is our 'the ship is our destination' cruise coming up, so I plan to catch all of it.
Oh one thing we missed (on purpose) was pirate night dinner - we were exhausted from activities all day and had a nap instead, then ate at the late night buffet during the pirate party instead.
I definately want to go to the pirate dinner this time!

My room did not have a room service menu - so we never ordered !!! I knew that there was room service but thought that maybe I was an idiot and wad just supposed to "know" what to order.

Also if you even think you may want to cruise DCL again - REBOOK !!! I did not realize that you could fill out that rebooking card and that the future cruise people would get back to you. Everytime I went by the future cruise desk the line was redic ... I didn't know about dropping off the card and was not wasting any time on my 3nt cruise so I did not rebook. I did get a really good price (compared to now anyway) on my upcomming Dream cruise but 10% cheaper and the OBC would be nice !!
I did know this but not everyone does - you can go into OC/OL at anytime with your children for FAMILY time. So if your little one is too young or unwilling to leave you they can still play if you go in with them !!

Gosh I'm sure the list is too long to remember... The ones that come immediately to mind are:

All of the shows. In fact I don't think we saw any shows until our 4th cruise.

Castaway Cay. We did the glass bottom boat tour, and I was SO seasick when we got back that we went directly back on the ship. Needless to say, we have not been on an excursion at CC again. Love the calm relaxed beach day!

Dessert buffet other than Pirate night??? I gotta read that navigator better this time!
This is our 'the ship is our destination' cruise coming up, so I plan to catch all of it.

It is not well spelled out in the navigator. It is generally on 7 night cruises on the semi formal evening. It will be listed in the Navigator under Late night snacks.

What we missed was Pirate night buffet on our first cruise. Got so involved in the party, that didn't even realize there was a buffet.

Mr Toad's Wild Race - Heard about it afterwards, so on our 2nd cruise, we happened upon it. No one had came by and DD and I played and she won and got the trophy! Unfortunately there was no crowd or anyone else in the lobby to cheer for her... Just the 2 CM running the race.

Early morning Yoga - I could never get myself up to do this.

Discount drinks with your sailaway glass - Someone mentioned we could get 1/2 price drinks with our sailaway glass, but I never tried.

It is not well spelled out in the navigator. It is generally on 7 night cruises on the semi formal evening. It will be listed in the Navigator under Late night snacks.

What we missed was Pirate night buffet on our first cruise. Got so involved in the party, that didn't even realize there was a buffet.

Mr Toad's Wild Race - Heard about it afterwards, so on our 2nd cruise, we happened upon it. No one had came by and DD and I played and she won and got the trophy! Unfortunately there was no crowd or anyone else in the lobby to cheer for her... Just the 2 CM running the race.

Early morning Yoga - I could never get myself up to do this.

Discount drinks with your sailaway glass - Someone mentioned we could get 1/2 price drinks with our sailaway glass, but I never tried.

What is Mr. Toads Race?

-We missed the dessert buffet, but from what I've read lots of people miss that one. Next time we'll know to look for it.
-We missed ALL of the entertainment between our early show and our late dinner seating. I feel bad for our kids who missed a lot of the family game-shows and stuff because we didn't think we had enough time to do all 3 things in such a tight time-frame. We have early dining for our next cruise and think this will help... especially since we've seen all the shows once already.
-I think my daughter missed all of the character appearances in the Club. I have no idea how, she was sure in there a lot.
-We missed out on the antenna toppers shaped like the ship. Bummer... next time I'll shop ASAP.
I'm sure we missed dozens things we don't even know existed... that's why we're doing it again!!

Sorry if this is an obvious question (first time cruiser). you mentioned you missed the shows due to your dining. I thought the there were two shows watch night (one early and one late) to accommodate all cruisers and their dining rotation. Also, another poster mentioned yoga class. Do they have gym classes on the ship? Is it free or is there a charge? I see a lot of people missing things because they are not sure if it is free or has to be paid for. Is this listed on the navigator? I would hate to go everywhere and ask if things were free (seems a bit tacky for lack of a better word)

Sorry if this is an obvious question (first time cruiser). you mentioned you missed the shows due to your dining. I thought the there were two shows watch night (one early and one late) to accommodate all cruisers and their dining rotation.

There are indeed 2 main shows every night (whether it is a broadway type show, an entertainer or a movie) and we did see all of those. But we missed EVERYTHING that happened in Wavebands and other spots @ 7-8:00 every night. There were gameshows, variety acts etc and we were never able to squeeze it in before dinner.
My husband and I did go see the adult version of a few of the entertainment acts late at night- all were very funny and not offensive in any way.

There are indeed 2 main shows every night (whether it is a broadway type show, an entertainer or a movie) and we did see all of those. But we missed EVERYTHING that happened in Wavebands and other spots @ 7-8:00 every night. There were gameshows, variety acts etc and we were never able to squeeze it in before dinner.
My husband and I did go see the adult version of a few of the entertainment acts late at night- all were very funny and not offensive in any way.

Great thanks for the clarification. For the early show - do you know what time they are? You mentioned you are going to an early dinner. Will this allow you to go to these shows as well as the other activities? Sorry about the q's - I do not mean to hijack this thread.

Can someone confirm? If I buy the sailaway glass I can use it for 1/2 drinks thru out the cruise?!?

disney_guest- I was also wondering about the extra shows/games. We have late seating, but I want to be able to do the shows & things also.

Do you not preorder breakfast like you used to? Last two cruises (been a few years) we put out our breakfast order the night before on the door I believe... They were actually our wakeup call. :lmao:

We missed eating dinner at Triton's and Animators Palete on the Wonder. While I am looking forward to the new show at Animators on the Dream, I am sad that I haven't seen the old one! Guess I need to book another cruise on the Wonder, huh?! I also didn't know that the sweet treats in Cove Cafe were free...exciting! We didn't know about the FE's or door magnets and were clueless when we would see them on doors! We missed all the shows except Toy Story. Looking forward to seeing them on the Dream!

Can someone confirm? If I buy the sailaway glass I can use it for 1/2 drinks thru out the cruise?!?

I don't know... but I CAN tell you that both of the ones we got during the sail-away party had cracks in them by the time we left! :sad2: All we did was take them back to the room and rinse them then put them on a shelf! I will not buy anymore of them in the future thats for sure!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter