What’s the top three resorts to walk/jog around?

lmhall2000

May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you
I walk 5 miles a day- you’d think park walking would be plenty- but I love being able to get a sunrise walk and one at night when things are cooler. Riviera seems to not have a great option or BLT, just curious for those who have to get their jog in if you have any favorite resorts. Really trying hard to choose our home resort.

For a scenic walk, I like walking along the water between Poly and GF. Going between BW and YC/BC is also nice for a walk or jog (as long as you don’t dislike running on the boardwalk slats).

The path between the Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness is nice for running as far as having a continuous paved path that isn’t crowded, but I don’t know if I’d do it at night (I’ve never tried so I don’t know from firsthand experience). During the day it’s nice, but not as scenic as the ones by the water.

I would say the worst is AKL only because they don’t really have outdoor space to have a long walk since it’s taken up by the animals or the parking lot.

To be honest if you are doing the parks you can easily get 5 miles in without even trying to walk and just doing the parks.

To be honest if you are doing the parks you can easily get 5 miles in without even trying to walk and just doing the parks.
I actually logged 21 miles on my longest 4 parks in one day (done that twice)...but, trying to narrow down choices and long scenic walks would be a clincher 😁

For a scenic walk, I like walking along the water between Poly and GF. Going between BW and YC/BC is also nice for a walk or jog (as long as you don’t dislike running on the boardwalk slats).

The path between the Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness is nice for running as far as having a continuous paved path that isn’t crowded, but I don’t know if I’d do it at night (I’ve never tried so I don’t know from firsthand experience). During the day it’s nice, but not as scenic as the ones by the water.

I would say the worst is AKL only because they don’t really have outdoor space to have a long walk since it’s taken up by the animals or the parking lot.

Its currently closed while they build Reflections.

They are building the bridge from GF to MK and looks like it should be open in a few months, so the Poly, GF, MK, & BLT loop might be pretty good. Also, there is a loop around the water BC, BW, & Swolphin that looks pretty good.

I actually logged 21 miles on my longest 4 parks in one day (done that twice)...but, trying to narrow down choices and long scenic walks would be a clincher 😁

Are you buying or renting? If buying you really should visit.

If renting then Boardwalk or Beach Club. You can walk at all hours, have some nice views, have a loop around the lake (not a back and forth), can even expand out to walk down to HS or through Epcot around World Showcase.

No other resort is close in my mind. The Magic Kingdom resorts are going to be a back and forth walking path. The Wilderness area will be through actual secluded areas (animals or people danger possibly at night), Animal Kingdom is all indoors with minimal views, and OKW/SSR will both be like walking through apartment areas (yes I said those buildings look like apartments).

If you are really trying to put in 5 miles the Epcot area gives you the most variety and paths not to mention direct transportation along your route (friendship boats would have 4 stops along where you might walk if thunderstorms pop up).

The best resort used to be WL as it had a nature trail that followed along the shore just past the bike rental there, and you could run (or walk) all the way to the back parking lot for FW employees--a little over a mile. The second option was the paved biking/walking trail between those same two resorts, also right at a mile one way. Once at FW, you could take all the paths that ran through the campground. Truly lovely, especially during the holidays. When Copper Creek was built, the sandy trail disappeared permanently, tossed on the trash heap of history and nostalgia. Last March, the paved path was also closed--supposedly temporarily--as they began work on Reflections Senior Living Center and Rehab facility (sorry, I hate the name pirate:). It won't reopen until they finish which is likely at least two years off, and there's no guarantee it will ever reopen. That leaves the other two spots that I've used in my runs: the BCV/BWV area since you can not only run around in a loop there, but you can always walk/run down to DHS along the path that parallels the water route. SSR also has a lot of open areas you can walk and is quite spread out, too. You can head all the way into and through DS before coming back the opposite direction. Now, at WL, you can actually make a loop by taking the path that runs by the cabins and then go into the parking lots before getting back to the path. I haven't done the entire thing, but it's close to a mile if you do the entire distance and use the back of the parking lots to walk. Oh, and yes, you can walk between Poly and VGF, and actually head toward SOG, too, but none of those sections is very long.

SSR and OKW are the most spread out resorts and have more walking/ jogging area. SSR by far has the longest area with the path along the water in Congress Park area. I think they have a loop that is 3 miles long.
I logged 3.53 miles on our check-out morning last month all within SSR in the early morning hours. Given the early hours, I was blocked from walking through Disney Springs which would have made for a nice loop!

I started in Grandstand, joined the inner loop path near Carriage House crossing the bridge towards the Paddock, continued to Congress Park’s water line, returning towards Grandstand ... crossed over to the Treehouses, walked that loop, crossed the bridge towards the golf course and followed it back towards the Golf Center at SSR ... and back to Grandstand. I was in good company with other walkers and joggers.

I generally walk 7 miles a day at home (around the ranch) and ~10 miles/day at the parks but the pace inside the parks is too slow to count as “exercise.” It was good to get out early, especially on our travel day, to get the blood pumping. :)

SSR / OKW by combining the two. The walking trail between the two is open dawn to dusk and is very pleasant. You can extend by looping through the two resorts to whatever extent you want. I always end by looping through DS and picking up a coffee from Starbucks for DH. I would not do this once DS is open but Starbucks, and some of the restaurants, open earlier than the merchandise location. DS is pleasant before the crowds arrive.

WL is also nice, take the trail to the campground, bonus is the wildlife along the way. You can extend by doing some of the loops in the campground.

I have found AKV the least interesting for walking.

SSR / OKW by combining the two. The walking trail between the two is open dawn to dusk and is very pleasant. You can extend by looping through the two resorts to whatever extent you want. I always end by looping through DS and picking up a coffee from Starbucks for DH. I would not do this once DS is open but Starbucks, and some of the restaurants, open earlier than the merchandise location. DS is pleasant before the crowds arrive.

pictures from a few years ago:

http://www.mousesteps.com/wdw-resor...from-the-hospitality-house-to-downtown-disney

WL is also nice, take the trail to the campground, bonus is the wildlife along the way. You can extend by doing some of the loops in the campground.
A reminder for those who haven't read previous posts, however, that the pathway is closed and has been so since March. It won't likely reopen until Reflections is finished in something like 2022. If you do get to FW then, yes, you can walk around the campground which is very nice.

I'll chime in too. I love early morning walks before the rest of my family is awake. My favorite is Poly to GF. The views all through the poly are the best. And once they open up that bridge to the MK from GF then the views (and length of path) will be even better.

A close second is a walk along the boardwalk BC/YC loop, especially if you walk/jog really early when it's still dark and the boardwalk has their festive lighting still going. The advantage there is that it's a full loop, but I like the views at the Poly better.

I've taken walks around OKW and SS, and find them more boring (less disney), but some people might want that escape from disney. I also stay at AKL a lot, but there aren't good places to walk there, so I usually end up finding some of the cozy nooks just to sit in. I can't comment on Wilderness, because I only visited there (never stayed).

With OKW and SSR, you can walk/run around both resorts (they connect with the path along the Trumbo Canal), plus add in Disney Springs. And if you want a longer distance, you can walk/run down the road past the Disney Springs Hotels. You have sidewalks all the way. Riviera would have CBR, with the addition of AoA and Pop Century as well.

With OKW and SSR, you can walk/run around both resorts (they connect with the path along the Trumbo Canal), plus add in Disney Springs. And if you want a longer distance, you can walk/run down the road past the Disney Springs Hotels. You have sidewalks all the way. Riviera would have CBR, with the addition of AoA and Pop Century as well.
FWIW, I believe Disney Springs is closed for access until 8A. I tried accessing DS as part of my intended loop last month but was blocked after crossing the bridge at Congress Park.

FWIW, I believe Disney Springs is closed for access until 8A. I tried accessing DS as part of my intended loop last month but was blocked after crossing the bridge at Congress Park.
So cross the street and do the sidewalks along Hotel Plaza Blvd.

So cross the street and do the sidewalks along Hotel Plaza Blvd.
I don't know how the OP would feel about this ... but for me, the idea is a strong NO.

My idea of walking is to remain "with nature" as much as possible. Not to do a city street sidewalk. Not to worry about crossing a driveway. Not to wait for lights at cross-walks. Waaaaay to much city for me. Blech.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter