What’s going on at Ohana?

Hi, I had a question for everyone who has been to Ohana recently:

I've never been to this restaurant myself, but I'd like to if I go to Disney World next year. One thing I'm trying to figure out is that in a lot of older pictures / videos / talks about the bread pudding dessert at dinner time, it looks like it's banana bread pudding. But when I go to newer videos or photos of what people have had this year at Ohana, the dessert looks very different. Commentary from guests say it's a light coconut / pineapple bread pudding, and it also looks more square than the original. So is it just me and it's always been like that, or did they actually change this dessert? If they did I'm a little bummed since I was looking forward to the banana bread pudding, but I'm sure both are good if that's the case! Ty!

I've never been to this restaurant myself, but I'd like to if I go to Disney World next year. One thing I'm trying to figure out is that in a lot of older pictures / videos / talks about the bread pudding dessert at dinner time, it looks like it's banana bread pudding. But when I go to newer videos or photos of what people have had this year at Ohana, the dessert looks very different. Commentary from guests say it's a light coconut / pineapple bread pudding, and it also looks more square than the original. So is it just me and it's always been like that, or did they actually change this dessert? If they did I'm a little bummed since I was looking forward to the banana bread pudding, but I'm sure both are good if that's the case! Ty!

I don’t believe the bread pudding itself has changed, but the sauce definitely has. It used to be Bananas Foster/Caramel; now it’s Homemade Caramel. Still good and pretty close, but I prefer with bananas.

As far as the shape, it’s been served square, at least to our table, for several years.

Personally I don't think you'll miss the bananas. It's wonderful!! I despise bananas though, lol.

If you're thinking of banana bread pudding as in made with "banana bread," it was never that. It was always the pineapple-coconut bread pudding but the sauce had bananas in it.

Thank you everyone for the replies!

If you're thinking of banana bread pudding as in made with "banana bread," it was never that. It was always the pineapple-coconut bread pudding but the sauce had bananas in it.
Nope, I wasn't thinking it was banana bread. I was just watching videos and seeing photos, and to me it looked like they changed how the dessert was. Maybe it's the lighting, or the angle of the food, since I've never had it I wasn't sure. I get that they removed the bananas like you are all saying, but even the bread part looks different (to me). Here are some video links to give you an idea:

The Disney Dining Show review of 'Ohana (2018 / old)
Go to the 14:42 mark

Duke Family Adventures 'Ohana (2022 / recent)
Go to the 6:07 mark

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the replies!

Nope, I wasn't thinking it was banana bread. I was just watching videos and seeing photos, and to me it looked like they changed how the dessert was. Maybe it's the lighting, or the angle of the food, since I've never had it I wasn't sure. I get that they removed the bananas like you are all saying, but even the bread part looks different (to me). I'm not sure if we are allowed to post links, but just to give you an idea:

The Disney Dining Show review of 'Ohana (2018 / old)
Go to the 14:42 mark

Duke Family Adventures 'Ohana (2022 / recent)
Go to the 6:07 mark

The bread is the same. Could be color variations with cooking, darker end cut..or the sauce amount, coloring, lighting, etc.

DIS video has banana sauce; bottom one has the caramel. Looking over our photos, our bread pudding in 2016 looked like the 2022 video, but with bananas.

Last edited:
We ate there last summer and were thrilled with our meal and the service. For years this was my favorite place to dine. Not only for the food but for the atmosphere. However, a few years ago the service was terrible, enough to make us pause and not go for a few visits. Last year turned it around for us and we were very pleased. Planning to go again this August!
That’s good to know just in case, although it’s doubtful we will go back. On our last visit (pre-covid) service was terrible. Probably the worst of any table service meal I’ve ever had at Disney. I’m jealous of people who seem to have great experiences.

The bread is the same. Could be color variations with cooking, darker end cut..or the sauce amount, coloring, lighting, etc.

DIS video has banana sauce; bottom one has the caramel. Looking over our photos, our bread pudding in 2016 looked like the 2022 video, but with bananas.

Thank you Lehuaann for the insight! I'm still excited to try it!

Last edited:
We were there a few months ago and the food was good, but not pre-COVID good!
However, last week we went to Sebastian’s Bistro and were shocked at how good the food was. The bread pudding was even better than Ohana’s!! The manager came over to check on us after our meal. When we told him how we enjoyed the bread pudding more than Ohana’s he said he hears that all the time and the old head chef from Ohana is the head chef there now. Maybe that is the issue????

However, last week we went to Sebastian’s Bistro and were shocked at how good the food was. The bread pudding was even better than Ohana’s!! The manager came over to check on us after our meal. When we told him how we enjoyed the bread pudding more than Ohana’s he said he hears that all the time and the old head chef from Ohana is the head chef there now. Maybe that is the issue????
Sabastian's has become the must-do for our family. Far superior to Ohana these days.

For us it is nowhere near as good as it used to be, particularly in food quality. We noticed the downward slide approximately 10 years ago. Prior to that it was among our top choices. The exact same thing happened to Narcoossee's. For many years it was my number one recommendation, now it doesn't even rank in my personal list (again, due to declining food quality). The Grand Floridian Cafe, which you mentioned, is still a great pick and their steak outperforms Narcoossee's and costs far less. Perhaps the Narcoossee's reno may bring it back to life. Hopefully for Ohana they can turn it around during dinner service. I'll never forget the first time we noticed the decline (quality of everything, from the wings on down the line). It was a bit shocking. We've tried it twice since then and the same. So until something changes, we'll go there for breakfast only, occasionally. I think you'll notice these comments mostly from guests who remember how good it truly was 10+ years ago. Again, food quality primarily (not necessarily ambiance or service).
We stopped Ohana because I felt as if we were being rushed and the beef was tough.

As someone who has worked in restaurants, the head chef is the key, even if you dine when he/she has the day off, new norms are set in the kitchen.......no wonder Sebastian's is getting so much praise this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter