We're Home From the Road!! 17 Days of Travel with Tons of Pics~COMPLETE!!

Oh wow Laurie, some more fantastic updates! This trip is so inspiring to me- I’d love to plan a similar road trip and make down to and around California. You kids are so so lucky to be able to go on such fantastic vacations! Thanks also for your cost estimates- do you happen to have gas amounts- ie how many miles your trip was. I’m kinda playing around with a budget, trying to work out an approx. cost per person of a trip like this.
Nice update on universal also, we will prob visit to check out the HP part once it opens in a few years.

Oh wow Laurie, some more fantastic updates! This trip is so inspiring to me- I’d love to plan a similar road trip and make down to and around California. You kids are so so lucky to be able to go on such fantastic vacations! Thanks also for your cost estimates- do you happen to have gas amounts- ie how many miles your trip was. I’m kinda playing around with a budget, trying to work out an approx. cost per person of a trip like this.
Nice update on universal also, we will prob visit to check out the HP part once it opens in a few years.

Thanks! I think we drove around 2300 miles. I didn't pay gas, Mike's mom did. I didn't really pay attention to how much & how many times we had to fill up. I know that gas prices were pretty high at the time $3.79 to $4.15/gallon.

Oooh! I've never been to Walt's barn. What's with the stickers on the kids shirts?

When you go in, you sign in & let them know how many people are in your party. Each person must wear one of the Walt's Barn stickers so people know you are supposed to be there.

Nice!! I just noticed in your siggy the kids first WDW trip. The twins will be the age I was when I first went

Nice!! I just noticed in your siggy the kids first WDW trip. The twins will be the age I was when I first went

Nice!! I'm excited to show WDW to the kids. With Derek's discounts, this would be the only time we could afford to do so.

Loved the update and thought I would just chime in on the disney stuff that we did. We did the Disney Studio tour and for those that are friends with me on FB I posted some pics. Not all but most of them. We really enjoyed it. It was so cool finally getting past those gates. We got to see the lot and places where they filmed saving Mr. Banks and got lots of behind the scenes info. We got to see some of the props in the archives and each tour they bring out some special props and for ours it was some items from The Santa Clause. We also got a special D23 pin and access to the studio store. Most of the stuff was stuff you can get at any disney store but I did get a shirt that says Studios and was able to score a cute Olaf xmas ornament that a gal next to me told me was sold out everywhere. We had to join D23 and then pay for the tour on top but I am glad I got to do it once. And if you live there it is worth belonging because they do screenings there and other events for D23.

After Disney we drove up the Griffith Observatory which was really cool and that park is amazing. This giant beautiful park right in the middle of the city. It is huge and so much to see. We didn't go buy walt's barn but we went to the Merry Go Round where walt thought up Disneyland. Girls and I took a ride and it is very old and not that good repair but fun to be there. We were going to go to the Cemetery to find his plot and look at the beautiful statuary but were running out of time. The girls wanted to meet up with a friend for dinner. We went down to Marina Del Rey and met her at the cheesecake factory and got to see outside near the water so that was fun.

Then on Sunday we went to the California Science center and they had a special exhibit about Pompeii that was really neat as well as the space shuttle Endeavor. That is a great museum and is basically free. You pay 2 bucks to see the shuttle or you can pay for the Imax but the regular museum is free! Then after that we had a tour of the Biltmore hotel. This was built in the 20's and is in downtown LA. Supposedly they based some of the interiors for Tower of Terror on this. It is a BEAUTIFUL old hotel and so glad that we got to see it. There was a huge expensive wedding going on so we didn't get to take pics in all the rooms or see all of them but WOW what a wedding. Looked like comparable to a celeb. VERY expensive!

Then that night we found a really cool place to eat up on the hill called the Castaway. Great views of the city and we got to eat on the terrace. Good food and yet ANOTHER wedding on the balcony.

Then Monday we did Universal and just ate at City Walk and yesterday we did a hollywood tour and got to see several parts of the city.

We had a great time and saw almost everything on our list but as always we need to go back. We don't have any plans to go back till next Thanksgiving and we are hoping to do a week on the city pass and do 2 days in San Diego and then DL and possibly Univ and then possibly one extra day to do a few things we missed.

Still want to check out the cemetery, want to do a haunted hollywood tour, want to go back to the Grove when we have more time. We went for lunch on our tour but it took almost the whole hour to eat and barely got to see anything.

We want to go to the Getty and there are just a lot of neat places we have either done but it was a long time ago or have not done. So always something fun to do.

Looks like your day at the Barn was fun and as always looking forward to the next update. :)

Loved the update and thought I would just chime in on the disney stuff that we did. We did the Disney Studio tour and for those that are friends with me on FB I posted some pics. Not all but most of them. We really enjoyed it. It was so cool finally getting past those gates. We got to see the lot and places where they filmed saving Mr. Banks and got lots of behind the scenes info. We got to see some of the props in the archives and each tour they bring out some special props and for ours it was some items from The Santa Clause. We also got a special D23 pin and access to the studio store. Most of the stuff was stuff you can get at any disney store but I did get a shirt that says Studios and was able to score a cute Olaf xmas ornament that a gal next to me told me was sold out everywhere. We had to join D23 and then pay for the tour on top but I am glad I got to do it once. And if you live there it is worth belonging because they do screenings there and other events for D23.

After Disney we drove up the Griffith Observatory which was really cool and that park is amazing. This giant beautiful park right in the middle of the city. It is huge and so much to see. We didn't go buy walt's barn but we went to the Merry Go Round where walt thought up Disneyland. Girls and I took a ride and it is very old and not that good repair but fun to be there. We were going to go to the Cemetery to find his plot and look at the beautiful statuary but were running out of time. The girls wanted to meet up with a friend for dinner. We went down to Marina Del Rey and met her at the cheesecake factory and got to see outside near the water so that was fun.

Then on Sunday we went to the California Science center and they had a special exhibit about Pompeii that was really neat as well as the space shuttle Endeavor. That is a great museum and is basically free. You pay 2 bucks to see the shuttle or you can pay for the Imax but the regular museum is free! Then after that we had a tour of the Biltmore hotel. This was built in the 20's and is in downtown LA. Supposedly they based some of the interiors for Tower of Terror on this. It is a BEAUTIFUL old hotel and so glad that we got to see it. There was a huge expensive wedding going on so we didn't get to take pics in all the rooms or see all of them but WOW what a wedding. Looked like comparable to a celeb. VERY expensive!

Then that night we found a really cool place to eat up on the hill called the Castaway. Great views of the city and we got to eat on the terrace. Good food and yet ANOTHER wedding on the balcony.

Then Monday we did Universal and just ate at City Walk and yesterday we did a hollywood tour and got to see several parts of the city.

We had a great time and saw almost everything on our list but as always we need to go back. We don't have any plans to go back till next Thanksgiving and we are hoping to do a week on the city pass and do 2 days in San Diego and then DL and possibly Univ and then possibly one extra day to do a few things we missed.

Still want to check out the cemetery, want to do a haunted hollywood tour, want to go back to the Grove when we have more time. We went for lunch on our tour but it took almost the whole hour to eat and barely got to see anything.

We want to go to the Getty and there are just a lot of neat places we have either done but it was a long time ago or have not done. So always something fun to do.

Looks like your day at the Barn was fun and as always looking forward to the next update. :)

Wow, that sounds amazing & fun!!! Was Griffith Park part of the tour?? If we weren't going to go spend time with my brother, I would have loved to gone further on to see the park. I saw most of the pics you posted but think I'll go back & look at them cause I know I missed some. I've been working a lot lately (which is not what I want but they are short handed & it will help with the holidays coming up!!) One of these times, we'll need to find a tour somewhere & go together......I have a feeling we would have a blast!!!

No we.went to Griffith park on our own some things were part of tours and others were things I looked up. I agree we need to do a tour for sure.

Day 11, Part 7:​

After Walt's Barn, we drove right next door to the LA Live Steamer's Railroad Museum so we could ride the miniature train, which actually goes through the Walt's Barn grounds. This was a miniature set when you walk in.

This is where we said our goodbyes to Michelle & Zoe. I was glad we got to spend some time together!!

We had about a 30 minute wait to get on the train. Betty, Mike, the 4 littles & me rode......Ty & Derek stayed in the van with the A/C running. I believe we made 3 loops around the entire property so you will most likely see some repeat photos because we passed it multiple times. It cost $3 per person to ride.

More of our train ride coming up next post!

Day 11, Part 8:​

Continuing on our miniature train ride.

Hmmmmm, not sure why this picture looks like this....it doesn't look that way originally.......

Another look at the miniature set and the entry to the LA Live Steamer's RR Museum.

Day 11, Part 9:​

We were all getting tired from the heat but Betty really wanted pictures from the Travel Town Museum that houses a lot of trains. It is located right at the entry of Zoo Drive to Griffith Park. So Mike found a shady parking spot & ran down with the camera to get Betty pictures. These are just a few that he got.

Well Mike did sneak in a few different vehicles while he was getting the train pics!

Day 11, Part 10:​

Continuing on in the Travel Town Museum.

Lots more coming up in the next post!

Day 11, Part 11:​

More of Travel Town Museum.

Two More posts of the Travel Town Museum. Mike took a ton of pictures here!

Day 11, Part 12:​

Continuing on...............

One more post and then we'll move on!!!

Day 11, Part 13:​

Wow, Mike really took a lot more pictures of Travel Town Museum than I realized.....but this is the last post of those pictures!!

You will see that we did a lot of things with trains. Betty is a volunteer at the Oregon Coast Historical Railway Museum in Coos Bay. Since this trip was supposed to be interesting & enjoyable for her too, we made sure to add all these stops into our trip!!

Day 11, Part 14:​

After we left Travel Town Museum, we found a McDonalds to get a small lunch/snack before driving to Torrance. These were taken as we journeyed down the road!

We got to Torrance & Steve's house earlier than we thought we would. We had used our Google Map instructions I had printed out before we left home only to find out we were not at Steve's house at all!!! Somehow it changed the address I put in & gave us a totally different house # (and no, it wasn't transposed....it was just different & wrong!!). Luckily no one was home when we knocked.....lol At this point, we didn't know it was the wrong house.....so we decided to use the time to find a laundromat so I could do some laundry and maybe Mike could find a park for the kids to go run around in.

We found a laundromat, but I asked for a volunteer to stay with me (it was kinda a creepy place). I took in what I thought was ALL the dirty laundry and used their huge machines and was able to do it in 2 large batches. I called Steve to let him know we were going to do this before coming & I mentioned we had already stopped by the house but he said they were home. So I read the street address and found out it was wrong......lol I called Mike who had found a grassy field to let the kids run while he fed Michayla, but took the family over to Steve's when he was done. Well, we're almost done with the laundry & Shy I guess pee'd her pants......we also figured out while we were folding the laundry that we were missing a bunch of clothes. (it was later found stuffed under the seat where Anthony sits and it was surrounded by toys). So unfortunately, I didn't get it all done.....rats!

Mike came back & got us and we headed to Steve's. We got there & everyone was hungry, so we loaded up & headed to Shakey's Pizza. Now, as a child, we had a Shakey's and I have lots of fond memories, so this was a fun spot for my older brother to pick! (I guess I didn't mention that Steve is my older brother).

They didn't have gluten-free pizza, so Shy had to have salad bar.....but they also gave her pizza toppings (meat, cheese, tomatoes, etc)

Michayla was tired......

Day 11, Part 15:​

We really enjoyed catching up with Steve & his wife Janie. Also visiting them & joining us for dinner was Janie's daughter Kendall with one of her daughter's~Gigi. Janie also had her grandson from her daughter Lauryn (who wasn't there).....his name is David (cute, cute, CUTE kid!!)

Day 11, Part 16:​

The kids:

The "older" kids.....lol:

Siblings & Spouses:

Cousins:

We said our goodbyes & headed south to Westminster. We were staying at the Super 8. This was by far the WORST motel on the entire trip!! The floors were disgusting!! Blech! When Mike was bringing up suitcases, a "prostitute" came out of the room by the elevator. She got on her phone (to her pimp??) and said "done, come get me". On one of Mike's other trips up with our stuff......the large car, lowered, tinted windows pulled up & she got in. EEK!!!!!!!!! We didn't feel safe leaving anything in the van & we didn't feel safe being here. We locked our doors and called it a day!

This will not be on our list of places to stay at again!!! So ends Day 11!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter