We're here at last!!

Enjoying reading your trippie - glad to read you're having a good time :)

Day 4 - Epcot, Ohana's and fireworks on the beach!

It was with a certain sense of trepidation that we headed off to Epcot today - the weather forecast was very dodgy and if truth be told its a park we seem to struggle to enjoy. Now before I get an avalanche of "what are you on about - I love Epcot", it's not like we don't try! We go every year hoping to find inspiration....

Well anyway got to front gate by about 8.45 and dutifully queued with what seemed like a mass of people. Weather was great, and we decided to ask a nice Photopass lady to take a picture before we started the day. DD1 had a small camera for Christmas last year and has been intent this year on capturing every moment possible!

Walked straight over to Soarin and had a few minutes to wait before we were seated. I couldn't for the life of me remember which row was at the top so you would miss people's feet dangling so decided to go with the flow and ended up in row 3....the wrong one, it's row number 1 for the best view - must remember that for next time. Enjoyed it never the less but feel it could probably do with some updating now with all the tech available :confused3

After Soarin we walk over to the Seas, and catch the clam ride in. This always cheers me up - a lovely simple ride but with good effects. Walked into Turtle Talk and they were just letting a show in so just managed to catch it. Was a fab show, few small changes to what I remember previously which added to the general humour - really good. Helped that one of the kids picked was comical - when asked by Crush what he usually eats, kid replies "junk food!". Thought his mum was going to sink through the floor! After we get out, visited a few of the aquarium sites including the traditional picture with the girls peering through Bruce's jaws!

We had 30mins to kill before the world opened so the girls picked to go on the boat ride by Soarin (I think it's called something like Living with the Land or something similar). This was ironically the biggest wait we had all day as something must have broken so it took about 20mins to get on. Was the usual ride but DD1 loved the new photo opportunity options!

Wandered over to the left side of the world then to start our walk around. We had a little plan today to sneak in an early visit to Nine Dragons restaurant as we fancied something different. Saw Mulan first which was a hit and then had a bit of time to kill before the restaurant opened so visited the shops and the Chinese exhibit. First time to see this and was really impressed. A fascinating show which was well layed out.

Restaurant was then open so went in, lovely building and had a great seat by the window where we could see over the lake. Girls had the children menu of sweet and sour chicken with rice and DH and I shared a sesame honey chicken and a stir-fried beef. We also had shrimp toast to accompany. Meal was outstanding - girls chicken had the sauce to the side which allowed us to decide whether we liked it or not and it came with a massive bowl of rice. All our courses were lovely, very light and non-greasy....a great hit for lunch.

The girls wanted to fit a few more characters in so we caught up with Snow White, Jasmine and Aladdin, and Marie before deciding the sun had finally killed us off. We decided to give the girls an option of staying and fitting in a few more rides or to go back to the hotel pool - the pool thankfully won! So we headed off home, via the shop to pick up a few bits. I have been trying to pick up a few bits and pieces ready for Christmas and have been quite successful so far this trip..

Back for a relaxing few hours by the pool and then came back to the room to get ready for Ohana's. As we walked back in, noticed a pool of water by the girls hall and bathroom and on investigation discovered the air conditioning unit was leaking. Phoned guest services to report who promised to send someone out asap. We used a few towels to mop up and to hopefully stem the flow until the maintenance man arrived!

We left before anyone arrived and arrived at Ohana's early at around 6.30pm. Got given our buzzer and had a quick wander around the resort before we were paged 5mins early for our table. I didn't know when I booked it that it was an all-you-can eat offering as otherwise I would definitely have missed lunch but hindsight is wonderful! Our server Chris was great, and the food great again - definitely being spoilt today! The meal was huge with opportunity to have second helpings of anything you liked. We were started off with bread and salad with a choice of three dips. Then came portions of vegetables, noodles, chicken wings and some pastry type dish (sorry can't remember what it's called!). After this servers came around with giant skewers of glazed chicken, pork, steak and shrimps - as much as you wanted straight to your plate. All of my family are fond of meat so this really was a lovely meal for us. Drinks were topped up throughout and dessert was a gorgeous pineapple sponge cake with vanilla ice cream. Our server even brought out some extra ice cream for the girls with sprinkles which was a hit. Genuinely lovely food - really great experience. The girls lived the entertainment in the restaurant which they fully participated in! There was a lady teaching limbo and dancing through the restaurant which helped to keep the girls enthralled. Would definitely return next visit.

After we had all finished, it was around 8.40pm so I suggested we try to catch the fireworks at Magic Kingdom from the Poly beach. I would never have thought about this but read it on the boards so was glad to be able to give it a try. We sat on some loungers on the beach and saw the electrical water parade before the fireworks started - cute show. Then the music was piped in quietly to the resort where we, and a crowd of other guests, gathered to watch the fireworks. This was again a lovely moment to share between the family so thank you to whoever posted this before!

Went straight home after and the girls crashed out instantly. Found that the maintenance fairies have been as looks like air conditioning unit fixed and all mess and dirty towels have disappeared. DH has already gone to bed and I am joining shortly! Off to Blizzard Beach tomorrow and hopefully fitting in Fantasmic at the end of the night as long as the weather holds! Goodnight all!

Sounds like a top day. I'd love to watch the fireworks in a different way like from a resort.

Did you visit all the countries in Epcot? Uk? Wife and I love it so much. I guess it's easier for us to enjoy as we don't have kids. I remember as a kid not enjoying Epcot as much as the other parks.

Glad you all had a good day though!!

Epcot used to be Matt's fave park when he was younger, not sure if it still is. Last trip he was speaking japanese (from the help cards) to the CM's, doing Kidcot with Lily etc. We always have good times in there but I remember our first visit in 1993, didn't enjoy it at all, its a park thats grown on us

Ohana was great on our first visit, 2nd time we got a poor server and right in the middle near the "entertainment" hated it, can't stand the woman that does the show, we cringe, just not our type of thing.:rotfl:

Just managed to catch up with your trip report. Sounds like you're all having a magical time! Thanks for taking the time to share it with us! :goodvibes

epcot has always been a favorite with us - we always spend a lot of time in innoventions (but admittedly, our kids and we are all very geeky geeks...)..

epcot has always been a favorite with us - we always spend a lot of time in innoventions (but admittedly, our kids and we are all very geeky geeks...)..

Innoventions is the only part of epcot we skim thru, doesn't interest any of us.

wayneg said:
Innoventions is the only part of epcot we skim thru, doesn't interest any of us.

Weirdly, same as us. We always look, and a couple of things interest us, but in the main we do the rides, we enjoy the seas, and really enjoy the land, and then it's all about world showcase. Could easily do a day there.

We love Epcot. Like to stay At BCV so we can walk around show case calmly. Also like it in the morning before every one arrives.

given how empty both buildings usually are, it would seem that it doesn't interest most people! ;)

what can i say, we're geeky geeks - the kind of people who love to watch those "how things work" and science type shows on TV that most people would rather shoot themselves in the head than watch! :eek:

Wayne, you met us, didn't we seem that way to you? geeks...

anyway, the lack of interest is good for us - no crowds at all!!

Did I have time to form any opinions on you? it was like "Hi, I'm Beth, I am looking for my Husband, bye!" 2nd time did last a little longer but not much:rotfl:

yeah, but i look like a geek - i always have...
to americans anyway....they peg me within a half second of meeting me!

See I told you all you would be singing Epcot's praises :rotfl2:. To be fair I think we enjoyed it much more this year and we took it nice and easy so maybe that's the way to enjoy it more.

Wayne - I know what you mean about the woman! We were quite lucky to be off the beaten path enough not to be disturbed but the girls could join in as they fancied which worked out well!

Well today was mixed to say the least - the weather definitely took us off plan but worked out okay in the end. Weather forecast always had today and tomorrow as the most dodgy but we had planned a water park day so we decided to go to Blizzard and see how it went. We arrived for gate opening at 10am and went straight to the pre-teen part with the melting icecaps...the girls love it! We decided to try and fit as many rides in as we could so did the family ride, toboggan racers, lazy river and a few others before heading back to our base around 12. The clouds were looking distinctly black and the lifeguards started to usher everyone out of the water as a storm was in range. We went to shelter under one of the cabins to see what happened. The next hour or so was filled with a magnificent storm - lots of thunder, lightening and driving rain, easily the worst I have ever seen here. After an hour it started to subside a little but the sky was so cloudy we decided to call it a day. We headed home, changed and decided that as the weather was so rubbish, now would be a good time to fit in our shopping.

Went to the Premium Outlet mall near where we live so only took a few minutes to get there. We spent longer here than we thought but the weather continued to pour down so it didn't give us any inspiration to move on! We bought lots which is a bit unlike us - good bargains in Adidas, Nike, Puma, Banana Republic and Tommy! As we left, we noticed it had actually stopped raining and it was round 6pm. Our original plan was to see Fantasmic tonight so we thought we might try our luck and sneak it in.

Drove over to Hollywood Studios, dropping the shopping off on the way, and got to the gates around 7pm. We grabbed a bite to eat on the way to take with us and made our way to the show. Considering our rush to get there, we got good seats around half way around and half way up and waited for the show to start. With 30mins to go, there were a few Disney cast members organising entertainment between the two halves of the crowd. Did keep us and the girls distracted so a good addition! The show was great - this is a massive must-do for our family as we all love it and it didn't fail this evening either. Wandered out of the park having a leisurely look in the shops but knowing we were back here tomorrow took the pressure off.

I am hoping the weather will let us get what we need to done tomorrow as we are not back to Hollywood Studios after that. Let's hope between the showers we can pick our way through! I think DD1 wants to try out for Jedi training so have to be up early in the morning.....

MGM.....

When we woke up this morning the vote was definitely to try to get Jedi training so left early around 8am for the park. We queued by the gates and were let in around 8.45. As soon as we were past the gates, everyone was free to go wherever they wanted so we split up. I went over to Toy Story to get a fast pass (came out at 9.50-10.50) while DH took DD1 and DD2 over to ABC to sign up for Jedi. I met them and it looked slightly better than in previous years as you could select the session you wanted. DH said that the women was advising not to select afternoon sessions as they envisaged having to cancel some of these due to the forecasted weather. Even though DH went straight there, we only got into the 3rd show at 11am so just shows how popular this is!

We had some time before our Toy Story fastpass so headed over to the other side of the park for some of the rides. DH and DD1 went on Aerosmith rollercoaster and had no wait for the ride. We got a child swap for later on as DD2 didn't make the height restriction. I then took DD1 to Tower of Terror and again was no wait at any point - fab! We walked over to Toy Story for our first ride and had to wait a few minutes for our time to come up. As soon as that clock turned around, I got another set of fast passes and the time was for 2.30-3.30. After speaking to the cast member sorting out the machines, he thought that all the fastpasses would be gone in around half an hour - scary thought that all of these would be gone by half ten!

Had such fun in Toy Story - always made better by the fact I beat DH too! We then spent the rest of the day taking in the whole park and shows - was a very good day. The only spell of rain was around 2-3pm I think but TBH we were in shows constantly so didn't really notice except for coming back to a soaking wet buggy!

Called into Olive Garden on the way home for an early tea around 5pm. It was very quiet and was a nice peaceful meal. The girls had pizza, I had chicken scampi and DH had a chicken and shrimp spaghetti dish. All excellent meals with good service too.

We had thought about going out after but all voted to go to the hotel pool instead. Went home and went to try out the pool in the Cascades section. Really good pool, one end a nice swimming pool, the other was a splash zone was DD2 loved. Stayed here for an hour, sipping a few cocktails and then came home to put the girls to bed.

Apologies for a short version tonight -I am exhausted!! Hoping to find some energy for tomorrow!

Sounds like your all having a great time. Thanks for sharing with us :-)

Katie x

Another one reading along and enjoying.

It is absolutely throwing in down here tonight..i've given in and put the heating on aswell.

dixonsontour said:
Another one reading along and enjoying.

It is absolutely throwing in down here tonight..i've given in and put the heating on aswell.

Nightmare, must be bad! No rain here yet. It's cool, but not too much so no heating going on for a while!

Hi All,

Sorry to hear the weather at home is rubbish - its making me feel cold, just hearing you talk about turning the heating on! I think we will be freezing when we get home!

Well...not meaning to rub it in but today has been the best weather yet. It's been glorious all day with not even a hint of rain. We were meant to be going to Busch Gardens but the weather down south looked awful so we decided to postpone until another day. We decided to go back to Aquatica - gave the girls the choice of this and Blizzard Beach and it was unanimous....for us I must say we much prefer Aquatica to either Blizzard or Typhoon - rides suit us better and it just seems much cleaner and fresher :confused3. Another daft reason - no love bugs in Aquatica where as Blizzard was full of them!

We had an amazing day, easily the best time we have spent in a water park. We stayed all day from opening until 5pm which is the only time we have spent all day in a water park. We seem to have settled down into a routine now - get there, dump our stuff and head off to do some rides for around hour and a half, then go back to base and relax for a whie. This morning went to do the family raft ride (really quick!), the Taissie Twisters, Roa's Rapids and a few others.

We decided to use the unlimited buffet offer on which was $14/adult and $9/child. It's not fancy food by any means but we definitely got our money's worth today. You can pop back and for as any times as you like, including for drinks but you can't take any food outside the place except for drinks. It's the traditional fast-food type of offering:- salad (lettuce, tomatoes, onions, dressings), mac & cheese, pulled pork, hot dogs, garlic rolls, baked chicken drumsticks and three types of pizza - today was cheese, pepperoni and Hawaiian. For dessert there was water melon or chocolate brownie. The pizza was really nice (to my surprise!) and the chicken too! There were several soft drink options but surprisingly no water - DD2 was not happy!

To make sure we used the buffet fully, we did have both lunch and tea here and I still feel full writing this so I think was a good option! After lunch, we went back to the kiddie's part for an hour, watching the girls play. We then went and did all the rides again and kept this up until we left! I visited one of the shops on the way out and bought a lovely sundress so feeling quite pleased!

Went home to the hotel to get showered and changed. I managed to fit in some ironing before we left - another advantage of the Sheraton is having your own washer/dryer in the room - its sad how much I like this!

We popped down to Downtown Disney for a walk and an ice cream. While we were wandering around the shops, the girls decided to make their own bracelet in the store so we spent a long time picking out and arranging the charms. The girls used their on holiday money to pay and I think they made a good choice - its a lovely keepsake they can change and adapt as they get older.

Walked around for a little, then sat down by the stage eating our ice creams. Entertainment was provided by some guys dancing away to the music - one of them was funny in a bad way but soooo addictive to watch! We then decided to call it a night as the girls were busy yawning and when we came home they went straight to bed!

Not sure about what to do tomorrow - might chance Busch but not sure what to do as the weather is unpredictable....saying that it's always the same in Florida!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter