weird question: where to pack hair mousse on plane?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by dj2, Aug 3, 2004.

1. dj2

dj2 all my little ducks in a row...

don't laugh at me....

i've got a can of "frizz ease corrective styling mousse" that seems like it is somehow under pressure inside the bottle---metal bottle, plastic piece on top that when you push seems to add air or something to the product inside so it foams up when dispensed (probably a lot like shaving cream)

i just don't want it to explode!!

can i safely put it in my checked luggage (in a ziplock bag, of course)? will it explode? will it look like an explosive and trigger a luggage search? would i be better off carrying it in my carry-on (would like to avoid this if i can....)?

thanks in advance!

dj
    (traveling this weekend....)

2. disneydebi

disneydebi Mouseketeer

That's not a wierd question...
    I actually read something on a web site (either and airport site or SWA), I believe, that says you should check your aerosol items...
    I don't know if maybe in this "new age" of security, they don't want anything "flamable" in the cabin with you???

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. MickeyCrazed

MickeyCrazed DIS Veteran

I always carry on my hair spray and mousse and have never had a problem.
    I always carry on all toiletry items.
    I don't pack anything in my checked luggage which would cause the airport personnel to want to search my luggage without my presence.
    I'd rather be held up a little in line at the security checkpoint for the representatives view the items there.
    And I pack my tolietry bag to the hilt, but have never had them hand searched or questioned.
    Watch....I just jinixed myself for our upcoming trip! :D

5. safetymom

safetymom Super Moderator

Just put it in your checked luggage and you will be fine. I do this all the time with no problems.

6. TammyC

TammyC DIS Veteran

The pressure (or lack of) in the cargo hold could affect your product. My mousse dispensed as a liquid for 3 days and my hairspray no longer came out in a "mist". I suggest carry on.

Tammy

7. dj2

:wave: yikes!!

2 for checking, 2 for carrying on....it looks as if this could be a topic for the debates board!!! :)

thanks,

dj

8. safetymom

safetymom Super Moderator

I travel several times a month and haven't had any problems with mousse in my checked luggage. I have been at high and low altitudes with no problem. Maybe it varies by brand.

I pack it in a ziploc bag in case of any problems. The only time I was glad I did this the cap came off the mousse and something bumped it to start oozing in the bag.

9. shelbyjosh

shelbyjosh <font color=purple>DVC/OKW Member<br><font color=t

I have always packed that kind of stuff--even canned shaving creme and never had a problem with them exploding or leaking.

10. Mrs. Toaster

Mrs. Toaster Mouseketeer

My husband and I have traveled frequently and we always pack bottled stuff (hair products, contact solutions, etc) in a big ziploc bag. They have only leaked or exploded a couple of times out of many trips, but believe me, I was glad they were in a ziploc bag those times!

11. maraakl

maraakl Mouseketeer

I pack it in my checked luggage. Never had a problem.

12. dj2

once is enough for me! i am also still not sure if it might trigger a checked luggage search, so...i've decided to put it in my carry on bag. oh well.

thanks everyone for all your advice.

dj

13. prncess674

prncess674 DIS Veteran

I have traveled 90,000 actual butt-in-seat miles so far in 2004. I pretty much always check my bags and have never had a problem with styling products (aerosol and non aerosol) exploding in the cargo hold. I have had products spill but it was usually my fault for not making sure a cap was tight. Aersol cans will not trigger a bag search unless they are strapped to some sticks of dynamite.