Weight watchers in Disney?

Disneymomcinderella

Earning My Ears
I just joined weight watchers and am planning a Disney trip soon. How did you manage your weight watchers in Disney? Any suggestions for healthy snacks/meal choices in the parks? Thanks!

Hi,
Every park has a cart or two where you can get fresh carrots, celery, strawberries and other fruit. Always refreshing on a hot day. Most CS and sitdown rest, offer salads. You can get grilled chick at many places. You can select grapes or carrots as a side, instead of fries.

Whenever I was on we and went to wdw I always came back having lost between 4-5 lbs. I think the key is to have a plan in place before you go. I always look at the menus in advance if our trip and get an idea of what is we friendly. That way when I go to the restaurant there really is no need to look thru the menu and get tempted by something else. I am also very vocal (in a friendly way of course) eith the waitstaff and let them know not to use butter etc. if you are nice I have found that most restaurants will allow you to substitute items for steamed veggies etc

During the day I bring lots of bottled water and crystal light packets and for snack I do as the previous poster said and get fruit bowls and veggies where available

I know that I've read other we folks who say its Disney and they don't really want to track while on vaca but I find if I'm on plan it helps me to always be on plan. And while it may seem challenging when you're there I can tell you that you will be much happier with yourself once you get back home

Good luck

I've lost weight when on WW in Disney -- but I've also gained 5 lbs. And then lost 10 the next week without adopting a Spartan diet. I've assumed it was the sodium. So don't get too down if you're numbers seem weirdly high when you get back.

For me, the trick is to eat vegetarian (which do most of the time anyway). In WDW, the veggie choices usually rate among the healthier -- and cheaper. As long as you don't live on melted cheese, anyway.

And I second the vote to look at the menus and plan in advance what you're eating.

Good luck!

Honestly, it is very difficult to count points, pretty much impossible. Disney can provide an ingredient list but not nutrition facts for their food. When I visited the parks, I tried to eat foods comparable to what I would eat if I weren't at Disney. If I wanted to splurge, I would try to eat a smaller portion. Combine that with walking around a lot, and I normally either maintain or lose.

Last time I went on WW, I totally blew off counting points, ate like a pig and still lost .2. All that walking! Good luck to you, it was so difficult to get back on track after that. Let me know how you do, I'll be in your shoes soon, and I don't want to totally blow it like I did last time.

Me and my DM went for a mother daughter trip last year (before we both started WW) we were both aware that we would be eatting a lot but we had our daily snacks (deluxe dinning plan) for fruit pots for breakfast then we would drink a lot. Before our trip I had bought a dress and was shocked when I stil fitted after our trip! There is hope

I try not to stress too much about it. Eat smaller portions, fruits and drink lots of water.

And with all that walking, you might even lose some weight. Just enjoy your trip and get back on track when you get home.

I was a bit concerned about the food choice while at Disney next month. But you guys put:goodvibes me at ease. I just started WW and know I will be walking a great deal. I most definately going to enjoy myself. Thanks:goodvibes

I went to Disneyland last year and lost 3.5 pounds. I did a lot of research on menus ahead of time, and actually put a list in my phone with places with healthy options, what I would choose there, and where they were located. I took snacks with me so that I didn't get too hungry between meals. I allowed myself one treat a day, and was careful the rest of the day. I also drank a TON of water. It is not impossible to track at Disney. Of course there is no nutritional info, but I treat it just like going to someone's house for dinner or a restaurant without nutritional info. I make my best guess. If I eat a chicken breast, I put down chicken breast, etc. For me, any tracking is better than none. I also take my own salad dressing!

It is definitely doable! It is supposed to be vacation, so don't be nervous. Have fun! I found that I was so much more able to enjoy my trip when I ate healthy 80-90% of the time. So much more energy to do fun things!

From a former WW follower (successfully kept off the weight after 5 years and a baby)- you're on vacation, just enjoy it! I took a pedometer with me on my last trip and I averaged between 10-15 miles of walking a DAY! Times that by 8 days... holy smokes, THAT is some good exercise! I honestly eat with abandon while I am there and dont think twice about it. I don't gain weight either...last trip I lost a few pounds. But, if you're that worried about it, then just try to make smart choices- order kids meals at quick services places, get fruit instead of fries, limit yourself to one indulgence a day.

But seriously... don't stress about it! Don't you know.....food is calorie-free while on vacation ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter