weight limit for Aqua Duct ??

I am sure there will be both size and weight restrictions...there has to be for everyones safety. However I understand those people who choose to be upset will be and those who choose to understand will. No one can please everyone. I have family that is pooh sized....yes I try to help them lose weight for their health, not for theme park rides. I can say I would be extremely upset of someone over or under either limit rode the ride and caused it to be closed for the rest of the ship. That is not fair. I am one of the people that cannot stand calling a company and getting a person that does not speak english, or people in this country illegally getting benefits I pay for, or someone taking advantage of a broken welfare system. However I do have to deal with pooh-sized people at my job and it is a very touchy subject when I have to call someone and ask their size due to airline restrictions. I know it is embarrassing for them and it is for me too. I know some people may have a problem...be it thyroid, allergies...whatever, but some choose to be that way and do nothing about it except to expect more and more people to expand seats, rides, etc. That is not right either. I am not getting down on anyone that has a real medical issue, but like I tell my family...you can save yourself healthwise. I worry too much about my overweight family. They do not embarrass me....just worry me. I would never want to lose a loved one for them being too lazy to help themselves.

Don't think so, only a 48" height minimum.

Why am I picturing Augustus Gloop after reading your question?

Disclaimer:
I am not insinuating anyone is fat...I'm only proposing a way to quantify another way CMs may need to restrict riders...so punching in the numbers...
C=pi*d is the formula I am using to calculate circumference:
where
d=diameter of the Aqua Duck =52 inches
pi=3.1415926
C=circumference of person at hips=(3.1415926*52)=163.36 inches

Therefore if a person's body is 163.36 inches circumference at the hip, they would definitely get stuck in the tube if not even riding the inner tube thing. This is disregarding the inner tube thing space it takes up in the Aqua Duck. If we asume the inner tube thing floats and takes up 25% of the diameter of Auqaduck tube, then the circumference would have to be reduced by 25%. Hence the body diameter would have to be possibly be 0.75*163.36 inches (i.e 3/4 of the 163.36 inches I calculated earlier)... i.e. 122.52 inches.

Assuming the parameters for the calculations are sound, there *IS* a way to quantify the limit in size of the person that can safely ride the Aquaduck. So maybe DCL will have to issue a height and circumference limit (which could checked by a CM if needed. Perhaps a few inches could be lopped off for CM measuring error.

This final number also assumes the kinks in the aquatube (i.e the corners) are not restricted in any way.

FWIW,
Luvstocruise

I'm not overweight, I'm fat. I eat too much or the wrong things and exercise too little or not at all. Most fat people are fat because they do the same as me. What I don't do is make excuses or expect special consideration. I did this to myself. It is my fault. I can lose weight so that my body falls into the range of normal and I fit in places like 90% of the people. I do check and consider seat sizes on amusement rides, theaters, cars that I may buy etc.. I do not claim a disability just because losing weight is hard. I am not offended or "appalled" when someone makes a fat joke like the ones on here. They are not personal attacks.

Wow. Between this thread and the Concierge Gate thread, there are an awful lot of 'opinions' out there :eek: and none of us have even been on the boat yet. Just sayin'.

I don't think anyone was rude or out of line really. It's really a matter of safety IMO. I personally hope they've taken that into consideration when building the aquaduck. In all seriousness....it is a tube that hangs hundreds of feet above the OCEAN!!! I hope to god they know just how much weight is too much before putting people at risk. Even if it means it may offend some, safety should be #1 concern.

I keyed in on the unfortunate minimum height requirement. I am going to have one VERY unhappy 5 year old boy.

We've been showing him pictures of the Aquaduck for months ... guess I thought he'd be able to go on my lap or something. Not sure what we're going to do about this now. May be better to cancel the cruise and perhaps try again in a few years.

I bet the weight thing can get awfully tricky...are they going to have a combined weight (since they encourage double riders) limit? Well, my husband is 220 and if I was 160 (yeah, like I'm really going to list a real weight, HA!) my gosh, that's nearing a 400 pound weight limit!! It would be so much fun to ride with my husband, but we may have to selectively choose one of our skinny children to ride with! :)

I'm sure Disney is coming at it from a safety/liability position, hope they figure it out soon! :)

Oh, and we from Bama are pretty tootin smart! Doubt there would be many defense missiles, shuttle launches or unmanned aircraft without us! :)

Tara

I'm thinking the average overweight person would be fine.... It is a two rider- if you had two people of average weight (w/height varying average 150pnds) then- that is 300 pounds that the ride is easily ready to handle... And I'm sure it can handle much more.... And over 100inches is a good bit- to the point I'm guessing anyone that is mobile enough to climb the stairs to ride, can probably fit.... I really don't see size being an issue on the aqua duck..... But, I guess time will tell....

true, you have to climb the stairs to access the ride, eh?
Yeah...pretty sure that most anyone who hasn't reached the "I'm so big that I need an ECV to get around because my legs can no longer carry my own weight" category, should be fine. :)

I'm thinking the average overweight person would be fine.... It is a two rider- if you had two people of average weight (w/height varying average 150pnds) then- that is 300 pounds that the ride is easily ready to handle... And I'm sure it can handle much more.... And over 100inches is a good bit- to the point I'm guessing anyone that is mobile enough to climb the stairs to ride, can probably fit.... I really don't see size being an issue on the aqua duck..... But, I guess time will tell....

I completely agree. I bet the 'Duck could easily handle 600 pounds--and then some--on a raft at a time. The thing is probably over-engineered to the hilt. The raft itself is probably the limiting factor.

A little OT, but I suspect the height requirement is actually a measurable way to keep young kids from riding whose parents would otherwise, ahem, exaggerate their age so that their little darling could ride. After all, they paid all that money, right? I could see it now: "He's/She's 6, I swear it", or "But his/her birthday is next week".

I completely agree. I bet the 'Duck could easily handle 600 pounds--and then some--on a raft at a time. The thing is probably over-engineered to the hilt. The raft itself is probably the limiting factor.

A little OT, but I suspect the height requirement is actually a measurable way to keep young kids from riding whose parents would otherwise, ahem, exaggerate their age so that their little darling could ride. After all, they paid all that money, right? I could see it now: "He's/She's 6, I swear it", or "But his/her birthday is next week".
I thinks that works everywhere except a cruise. They know everyones ages! :)

I think the real question, after diameter of the tube, is diameter of the seat of the innertube. One would have to sit there comfortably in order to ride without risk of falling off.

Other than that, there should be no serious weight issues with riders. The raft can probably hold, at the very least, 450 lbs at capacity. Most people who have a hip circumference of 150 inches would not even think of riding a ride like this.

bolding is mine...
that's the thing with a cruise though...
there's no way to 'inflate' or 'deflate' a child/teen's age. You have to provide a Birth certificate or passport when you check in, so you really cannot lie about their age. The ship keeps track of it. Well at least in our experience they do.

Our experience.... a few years ago, older DD (who was 16 at the time) went to Aloft and a CM told her she wasn't allowed to be there. She told them she most certainly was entitled to be there and they questioned her about her age. The CM (guy) did not believe her when she told him she was only 16 (she's 6'1" in bare feet) and he went and checked her KTTW (or whatever they call your card on the ship) against a roster of some sort. When he saw her name and age on the roster, he apologized and told her she was certainly welcome there at Aloft anytime during the cruise.

So while I understand what you are saying, I think it is pretty near impossible to 'change' a child's age on the cruise the way people do it in WDW.
just my .02 :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter