Weekend at Beach Club Part 2: Cape May/FF/Kouzzina COMPLETE 9/18/12

Wow! You are FLYING through your reviews!

Your DH plates at Cape May look awesome to me! If I were to ditch my hubby for a night I would be there to pig out on the Crab Legs! Unfortunately when I open crab legs the juices tend to fly and that doesn't combine well with my DH seafood allergy so no Cape May for us.

I was looking forward to your Flying Fish review as we will be dining there for the first time in October! I was one that thought the char was excessive in Barbs thread so I am excited to hear it was still moist and tender on the inside!

I love PB to the PB&J Creme Brulee sounds good to me! :lmao:

I would book Kouzzina for a breakfast but I know hubby would not go for the sweet potato hash. Do they offer other potatoes or just sweet potatoes? He is not a waffle/pancake/french toast person so it would most likely be the stacked breakfast he would get.

Great reviews! I need to go back to FF. I had the snapper and I just didn't care for it but had the banana napoleon and it was devine!

I love Kouzzina too....you MUST try the Baklava French Toast....way better than the waffle. :)

I want to hear your live reviews from January too!

Jill in CO

Wow! You are FLYING through your reviews!

Fast and furious, so I can jump back into reading scholarly journals on evidence-based practice! :laughing:

Your DH plates at Cape May look awesome to me! If I were to ditch my hubby for a night I would be there to pig out on the Crab Legs! Unfortunately when I open crab legs the juices tend to fly and that doesn't combine well with my DH seafood allergy so no Cape May for us.

That's really unfortunate, I'm sorry! Maybe you and my DH should become Cape May buddies, you could have leg-cracking races! :laughing:

I was looking forward to your Flying Fish review as we will be dining there for the first time in October! I was one that thought the char was excessive in Barbs thread so I am excited to hear it was still moist and tender on the inside!

Well, I should have been more cautious in my enthusiasm! The steak was moist and tender (and NOT burnt!) to my standard, BUT I freely admit to liking my meat and chicken cooked on the dry side. I'm really a big fan of well done. So while I think it was deliciously juicy, I'd be worried about someone else who has different standards ordering it based on my recommendation! :laughing:

I would book Kouzzina for a breakfast but I know hubby would not go for the sweet potato hash. Do they offer other potatoes or just sweet potatoes? He is not a waffle/pancake/french toast person so it would most likely be the stacked breakfast he would get.

Yup, they have regular breakfast potatoes in addition to the hash! And there are several other non-carby breakfast items as well, including a spicy breakfast skillet with eggs/bacon/peppers/cheese, etc. He might like that!

I would definitely love to receive more live updates from you on your next trip and hopefully (if my thread is still alive by then) in January, as well. :thumbsup2 What are the dates of your next trip so I can add the exact dates to my list?

Yay! October trip is 10/21-10/24, and January is 1/15-1/21. :thumbsup2

They still have the PB & J Creme Brulee! I really wanted to try this during our May trip, but unfortunately Flying Fish was the one fatality of my dining schedule. Yep, instead of dining on crab cakes, red snapper, and creme brulee, we had cardboard from a pizza box...I mean pizza from a cardboard box. ;) :p But then again, if our plans hadn't been changed, I would have never met the Boardwalk "pizza dude". :rotfl:

Your meal that night sounded like a LOT of fun! And btw, I was SO sad when I went to check out the pizza window and the guy you and Brenda made famous wasn't there! It was a sweet young girl instead, not nearly as entertaining! :laughing:

And your Kouzzina breakfast looks very good. However, I'm still partial to their french toast. YUM! :goodvibes I'm so glad you had two great meals along the Boardwalk. Oh, and btw, how was that cupcake from the Boardwalk Bakery? Did it taste as good as it looked?

The cupcakes...went slightly to waste, I'm afraid. I did try them, and they were delicious, probably the best I've had at Disney! There was just no room for them. I told DH to please, please not let me pick up treats like that when we're only staying for two nights, because they'll just sit in the fridge all forgotten. :laughing: The frosting on both of them was superb, light fluffy whipped cream instead of cloying buttercream. I'll toss my pics of them and some comments into my review at some point!

My DBF is not too thrilled with our upcoming Capt Grille breakfast ADR, but after reading your review, we're definately going and I think I need the pancakes AND the lobster omellette (SP??)! 15 days!!

Haha! I hope you enjoy! I really liked those pancakes! :thumbsup2

I've read some very mixed reviews of FF before, so it always seemed like a place that I didn't mind never trying. But your review is making me put it back on the list of places to try. Just for dessert, if nothing else, although I do love fish and seafood. And the crab cake appetizer looks wonderful as well.

The crab cake was a delicious surprise! And the desserts were fantastic! :thumbsup2

What a fun FF review! I know exactly what you were saying about the server - fun (if you roll with it), but the antics kind of make more sense at WCC or Prime Time, right? :laughing: (our experience at Artist Point was similar - I can't imagine everyone being okay with it.)

Yeah, that was what fascinated me. He couldn't possibly just be like this all the time! All I could think of was my older brother, who has an incredible temper. He'd have had heads rolling by the second comment. And with a lot of people at Disney on edge with super high expectations, it seems kind of dangerous! :laughing:

As for the food, I loved the banana napoleon, but your panna cotta looks incredible! I could skip the rest of the food (since interesting seafood is so easy to find at home, and I'll never try that steak!), but I could totally go to FF and order a sampling of desserts. :thumbsup2

That's my feeling with seafood as well! It's hard for me to get excited to order a seafood entree, because we cook it at home about three nights a week, and our favorite restaurant here is a great fish place that offers creative specials with whatever local catch they have that day. But I'd never order that steak around home! :laughing:

We were so sad to leave BC once again, but heading to our very favorite resort, AKL/AKLV, softened the blow at least! What better way to relax before lunch than to spend some time on a rocking chair overlooking the savannah? :thumbsup2

Last time we went to Sanaa, we couldn't see any of the turtles outside the windows right by the restaurant. This time, we spotted one right away!

mini-DSC02219.jpg

And this guy, apparently, has a beef with paparazzi. As soon as I snapped that pic, he stopped drinking...

mini-DSC02220.jpg

and relatively quickly...in turtle-speed, at least :laughing: came right over to where we were standing!

mini-DSC02225.jpg

I actually took a step back to show the window frame and how close he was. I think if the glass hadn't been there he'd have come right at us and grabbed for the camera! Look at the rage in his eyes! This guy is the Charlie Sheen of turtles!

Ahem. We were seated by the window, and of course there was one thing I simply HAD to start my meal with...

mini-DSC02235.jpg

The Malawi Mango Margarita! :worship: Our server Danielle said everyone in the back was jealous when she was bringing this out to me! :laughing: They piled it HIGH this time! I almost asked for a spoon! I stirred it down some, and took a sip...ahhh, just as before, liquid sunshine. I think if I ever had a meal here without one of these beauties I'd be kicking myself on the way out!

For my entree I chose...
mini-DSC02236.jpg

Mango-glazed Tandoori Chicken Breast - served with arugula, cucumber, radish, mango and masala-spiced pistachios

I was worried too much mango COULD be a bad thing and I might not like this in combination with my drink. But I was pleasantly surprised! The glaze was NOT overly sweet, it was very light and didn't distract too much from the lovely tandoori flavor. The veggies were plentiful and beautiful. The nuts had a wonderful flavor from the masala, strong on clove, which I looooove. This was a light, refreshing lunch, a pretty perfect choice.

So, of course, our server had news for me! It's being taken off the menu! :sad: Just as I was sitting there imagining all my future lunches at Sanaa, she informs me it's on its way out the door! So sad. She had high praise for its replacement, a salad similar in nature to this but with a ginger-glaze on the chicken, but that sounds so unoriginal to me. I'll be curious to see the full description when it's added to the menu though.

DH decided to stick with the slow-cooked menu and ordered...
mini-DSC02237.jpg

Shrimp with Green Curry Sauce, Basmati Rice, and Beef Short Ribs.

And everything on the plate!
mini-DSC02238.jpg

He loved this even more than the last time! I had a bite of the shrimp and we both liked the flavor even more than the Durban shrimp, although the green curry wasn't spicy at all. It was delicious. The beef short ribs were tender and slightly sweet. I tried a bit of the sauce and I loved the kick of cinnamon! This was definitely a winning combination. I'd love to get the shrimp next time we go!

For dessert, we didn't even need a menu. We'd been talking about the chai cream so our server used her 'pull' with the chef and brought out a big cup full of it! :laughing:

chaicream.jpg

We fought a bit over this one! I hadn't been prepared to share! :lmao: I just love the flavors of this. It's autumn in a cup. Creamy, delicious autumn goodness!

The manager who visited our table was the same as last time, and she confirmed for me that if they ever told me they couldn't bring out a big cup of the chai cream, for whatever reason, I COULD just order the trio and ask for three servings of it. That WAS my plan before our server volunteered! :laughing: I actually enjoyed the kulfi from the trio, so next time I think I might try ordering it with two servings of chai cream and the kulfi. Just leave off that worthless chocolate cake! She said they should be able to bring the chai cream back as its own dessert with the next menu revision. I don't mind as long as its on the menu in some capacity. :thumbsup2 We thanked for her another wonderful meal!

I'm so, so jealous that you got to try the pistachios. :laughing:

For the most part, I'd given up on Sanaa...but then I saw your pic of the chai cream (which I love), and now I'd be happy to go there just for dessert. :goodvibes

I'm so, so jealous that you got to try the pistachios. :laughing:

For the most part, I'd given up on Sanaa...but then I saw your pic of the chai cream (which I love), and now I'd be happy to go there just for dessert. :goodvibes

I think that sounds perfect! I can't imagine anything better than enjoying some delicious chai cream while watching the animals outside! :thumbsup2

I'd avoid the omelet! I read your post to DH and he said the lobster had good flavor, but it WAS chewy and rubbery, so he thinks you might want to skip it. I wish I'd gone up and looked at the buffet so I could give an opinion on it, but we didn't. I know I've seen pics on here from it...Brenda/Emmysmommy reviewed it I think? If I hadn't been interested in the pancakes (or, as a backup, those dark chocolate waffles) I would have tried the buffet.

Two breakfasts there does seem pretty generous though, especially if there's nothing on the menu that grabs you (apart from the lobster omelet). Have you had Kouzzina breakfast? Our breakfast there today was SO good I changed one of our October ADRs to fit it in! :worship:

We have been to Kouzzina and enjoyed ... may go back there again. I just wish Epcot and HS had another TS breakfast option lol. Maybe we will go back to Fresh.

Your FF review is killing me because I just cancelled our reservation for Il Mulino at DH's request. The things we do for love ;)

Fast and furious, so I can jump back into reading scholarly journals on evidence-based practice! :laughing:

:confused: That sounds like no fun!

That's really unfortunate, I'm sorry! Maybe you and my DH should become Cape May buddies, you could have leg-cracking races! :laughing:

LOL! Sounds yummy to me!

Well, I should have been more cautious in my enthusiasm! The steak was moist and tender (and NOT burnt!) to my standard, BUT I freely admit to liking my meat and chicken cooked on the dry side. I'm really a big fan of well done. So while I think it was deliciously juicy, I'd be worried about someone else who has different standards ordering it based on my recommendation! :laughing:

I'm sure they can make them more to suit someone who likes them a little less cooked as well!

Yup, they have regular breakfast potatoes in addition to the hash! And there are several other non-carby breakfast items as well, including a spicy breakfast skillet with eggs/bacon/peppers/cheese, etc. He might like that!

good to know!!! I thought when I looked at the menu all they had was the sweet potato kind!

Yay! October trip is 10/21-10/24, and January is 1/15-1/21. :thumbsup2

Your trip overlaps mine!

Wow Becky, it seems that no sooner did I start reading than your reviews are over.

So many comments to make, where do I start?

First, I was so disappointed that you felt the grilled cheese was too buttery/rich. Last month, I was wishing I liked tomato soup so I could order that grilled cheese and seriously considered just seeing if I could order it anyway.

I am glad that you had a nice meal at Cape May - see, all that pretence paid off for you. It was your thanks from the Disney Food Gods for making the ultimate sacrifice of being prepared to endure that meal for the sake of your partner ;)

I loved the look of the char-crusted steak at FF II am forever trying to get DH to burn the sausages when we have a BBQ) and am desperate to try it next trip. Now I just need to persuade my fish/seafood-hating DH that it is worth the trip for that steak. I think maybe the PB&J creme brulee might do it - 2 of his favourite things combined :)

Kouzzina seems like a nice option for breakfast but I always think it sounds a little healthy (yes, I know, it's supposed to be). Kudos to you for managing to stick two fingers up to healthy by getting a breakfast appetiser in too :rotfl2:

And, as for Sanaa, every time I read/see a review, I just cannot believe that we didn't take the opportunity to eat there when we stayed at Kidani Village a couple of years ago. We did make good use of the bar on many a night, though, so I almost feel as if that was good enough :laughing:

Seriously, the food looks great. That mango glazed chicken is right up my street :thumbsup2

So sorry that it is over almost before it got started but am very jealous that you get to go back to WDW next month

Finally finishing up the last bit of this review, some cupcakes from the Boardwalk Bakery! One of them is the same exact cupcake both Brenda and DDW recently reviewed! :lmao:

This was actually our first time popping into the bakery. And I was majorly impressed. The variety is large, and everything looks much fresher and better made than at, say, the Main Street Bakery.

GOODIES!
mini-DSC02164.jpg

We wound up taking two cupcakes in to-go containers back to our room. Unfortunately, with us being there for just the two nights, with ADRs every day we never really had room for the cupcakes. While I didn't want to waste them, they really didn't get to be particularly enjoyed. If we hadn't had breakfast one day, or skipped dessert after one meal, these would have been a perfect fit.

Coffee mocha cupcake:
mini-DSC02165.jpg

Doesn't that just look lovely? For some reason I never can seem to find a piping tip quite large enough to make such a sizeable 'fluff' of frosting on my own cupcakes. The frosting on this was fantastic! It was a super light whipped cream with a subtle coffee flavor. It wasn't cloying or fake-tasting at all, so I'm guessing they used real coffee and not extract. The cake was a rich moist chocolate with a mocha filling.

Strawberry cupcake:
mini-DSC02166.jpg

This cupcake was the most neglected out of the two, but I did try and love the frosting! Again, a very light, smooth whipped cream. DH is a big strawberry shortcake fan and I think he would have LOVED this, but I couldn't get him to try it, since whenever we were in our room we had pretty much just come from a meal. :laughing:

I've been disappointed by Disney cupcakes in the past but the cupcakes at BB seem to be some of the best Disney offers. The coffee mocha one was easily the best I've had at Disney. I think I'm going to take a break from Disney cupcakes for awhile, especially with my own biggest baking season approaching (yay holidaaaaaaaaays!) but I'd definitely be interested in returning to the Boardwalk Bakery and trying some new flavors! :thumbsup2

Oh, and I snapped this while in the confectionery on the boardwalk, Seashore Sweets:

mini-DSC02162.jpg

Love love love love LOVE! Nothing makes me happier than Halloween, and these were just too cute to pass by without a pic!

Aaaaand that concludes my mini-dining-review! I'll be back at the end of October with a slightly longer edition that hopefully doesn't go by as quickly! :laughing: I'll also probably post a review from the booths we try during the first/second week of F&W, and I'm planning on posting a review from our dinner at opening night of Be Our Guest on 11/19! :yay:

Thanks for reading and thanks again to Barb for the live update fun!!

Cupcakes - a great finale to the reviews! I agree with your assessment that Boardwalk Bakery is one of the best places for a Disney cupcake (although there might be one place I prefer :)). All of the cupcakes I've tried from BW Bakery (orange cream, oreo bon bon, s'mores, and strawberry) haven't tasted as heavy or 'fake' as other Disney cupcakes. And that coffee mocha one looks awesome! :cloud9:

Loved your reviews...see you in Oct...I mean seriously, we might run into each other :rotfl2:

We have been to Kouzzina and enjoyed ... may go back there again. I just wish Epcot and HS had another TS breakfast option lol. Maybe we will go back to Fresh.

Your FF review is killing me because I just cancelled our reservation for Il Mulino at DH's request. The things we do for love ;)

I really need to try some Swan and Dolphin restaurants! Your reviews of those are priceless because they're so rare to come by. I tried my best to convince DH to try Kimonos this trip, since we both love sushi, but he has a fear of S&D, for some reason! :laughing:

Wow Becky, it seems that no sooner did I start reading than your reviews are over.

So many comments to make, where do I start?

First, I was so disappointed that you felt the grilled cheese was too buttery/rich. Last month, I was wishing I liked tomato soup so I could order that grilled cheese and seriously considered just seeing if I could order it anyway.

It wasn't a BAD sandwich though by any means! I just have a slight intolerance for a certain amount of grease that you'd NEVER guess by looking at me. :lmao: and I shouldn't have ordered it in the first place. Grilled cheese is now on my "NEVER!" list alongside burgers. :laughing:

I am glad that you had a nice meal at Cape May - see, all that pretence paid off for you. It was your thanks from the Disney Food Gods for making the ultimate sacrifice of being prepared to endure that meal for the sake of your partner ;)

Haha! Yes, I was ultimately rewarded for my selflessness! With shrimp. Lots and LOTS of shrimp! :thumbsup2

I loved the look of the char-crusted steak at FF II am forever trying to get DH to burn the sausages when we have a BBQ) and am desperate to try it next trip. Now I just need to persuade my fish/seafood-hating DH that it is worth the trip for that steak. I think maybe the PB&J creme brulee might do it - 2 of his favourite things combined :)

Yesssss! Finally, someone else who can appreciate the beauty of burned meat! :lmao: I hope your powers of persuasion work!

Kouzzina seems like a nice option for breakfast but I always think it sounds a little healthy (yes, I know, it's supposed to be). Kudos to you for managing to stick two fingers up to healthy by getting a breakfast appetiser in too :rotfl2:

Well we have to over-indulge in SOME way during a Disney meal! :lmao: Next time we go I totally have my eye on that greek yogurt platter. I'm not sure how I'll handle such a healthy meal at Disney. I'll probably need to compensate with a sundae afterwards! ;)

Cupcakes - a great finale to the reviews! I agree with your assessment that Boardwalk Bakery is one of the best places for a Disney cupcake (although there might be one place I prefer :)). All of the cupcakes I've tried from BW Bakery (orange cream, oreo bon bon, s'mores, and strawberry) haven't tasted as heavy or 'fake' as other Disney cupcakes. And that coffee mocha one looks awesome! :cloud9:

What's your favorite, what's your favorite?! Enquiring minds want to know! :laughing:

Loved your reviews...see you in Oct...I mean seriously, we might run into each other :rotfl2:

That would be GREAT! I'd have to get your autograph! :laughing: And then maybe I could get you to tell my DH to USE THE TIW VALET! For some reason, he doesn't trust it! All the places we've driven to and not once have we taken advantage of that perk! It's like he thinks it's a trap! :confused3

I've been disappointed by Disney cupcakes in the past but the cupcakes at BB seem to be some of the best Disney offers.

I agree! :thumbsup2

Aaaaand that concludes my mini-dining-review! I'll be back at the end of October with a slightly longer edition that hopefully doesn't go by as quickly! :laughing: I'll also probably post a review from the booths we try during the first/second week of F&W, and I'm planning on posting a review from our dinner at opening night of Be Our Guest on 11/19! :yay:

Thanks for reading and thanks again to Barb for the live update fun!!

You are very welcome and thank you, Becky, for sending me the live updates! :thumbsup2 Do you think you might send me a few preview pics from your first visit to the F & W Fest? And opening night at BOG too? I hope so. :goodvibes

Oh, and as always, loved your reviews! :)

You are very welcome and thank you, Becky, for sending me the live updates! :thumbsup2 Do you think you might send me a few preview pics from your first visit to the F & W Fest? And opening night at BOG too? I hope so. :goodvibes

Of course! :thumbsup2 I'm half expecting BOG to be a train wreck that night so if I'm right I should have interesting texts to send you! :lmao:

I really need to try some Swan and Dolphin restaurants! Your reviews of those are priceless because they're so rare to come by. I tried my best to convince DH to try Kimonos this trip, since we both love sushi, but he has a fear of S&D, for some reason! :laughing:

You are kidding, you have not dined at the SD places yet? OMG you have to try them! Bluezoo is to die for, Shulas is incredible and Il Mulino is just wonderful! If you guys love sushi you should def try Kimono's, I have read great reviews on the place.

That would be GREAT! I'd have to get your autograph! :laughing: And then maybe I could get you to tell my DH to USE THE TIW VALET! For some reason, he doesn't trust it! All the places we've driven to and not once have we taken advantage of that perk! It's like he thinks it's a trap! :confused3

Ah shucks, my hubby made me famous for his eating habits :rotfl2:

What dates are you at the POFQ? We are there Oct 18-25, leaving early on the 25th to check into the YC for 3 more nights.

Your DH doesnt use TIW valet??? Oh no, I need to chat with him about this lol. That is a huge perk and a big savings, we always drive to the resorts, its just much easier. You will need to show them your dining receipt and your TIW card but thats it and its no charge...more money for snacking or drinking :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter