• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We Should Be Studying For Finals. But... Let's Go to Disney

Enchanted Tales with Belle is one of my favorite Disney attractions so no judgment here.

I love your pictures of the resorts. On my recent trip we were at the parks the whole time, but if we had had another day I would have loved to do some resort hopping.

I would definitely read The Palm Tree in Front of the Kingdom.

Once Upon a Christmastime at Christmas! The soundtrack is so great, definitely a good thing to hear even if you can't see the parade.

The Olaf wake up call was one of the best surprises when I was there!! Such a great sound to wake up to!

Reading along!! Sometimes the best vacations are the spontaneous ones with your friends! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip

Blake you and your buddies know how to deliver every ounce of fun out of Disney! This day sounds similar to your last 24 hr trip without the Illuminations finale when you took a spin around Epcot. That was brilliant - I'm still impressed with your timing!

I've heard the Nike tree were shoes from the DCP CM from their last day. We've seen that tree on the boat rides before and it is definitely a conversation piece.

I agree... go higher! No one goes up the stairs above the 4th floor CR lobby area. They congregate at the viewing platform but the monorail dissects that view so it's not ideal.

Again, what a great day! And you only purchased food. :)

What a fun night you all had.

Great update and pics.

The Nike tree? No way! I thought I knew it all, but guess there is more! Thanks for sharing that!! Can't wait to read about your MK day!

I know, right. Like what the heck.

Thanks everybody for following along, and now our adventure becomes a glorious multimedia epic! Jeremy just got done with the first two vlogs, which align perfectly with what I've written so far. So if you so desire, you can now follow the TR two ways, text or video!
Part 1
Part 2

I recognized that this season of my life is unique in that I simply won't have the opportunities to do things like this for very long.

Boy, you got that right. ::yes::

How neat that you got to bring along someone who'd never been, and who appreciated it properly!

I can't decide for our next trip whether to do the parks or the non-park stuff. We did the parks last time, and I really missed doing the resorts and riding the boats (my favorite is from Wilderness Lodge to the MK, because I love the canal over the road!), plus we still haven't done the boats from DTD to Port Orleans, or Bob Jackson, or even visited Caribbean Beach, or... well, lots of little stuff. :p

What I need to do is get a parks ticket and then not add to it, but of course once you have a three day ticket, adding days is a huge temptation. And the more days in the park, the less days doing the other stuff. :upsidedow

Also very cool that you got to stay onsite. :thumbsup2

Time for part 3! Random side note - Caleb lives right next door to me at school, and last night he screamed very loudly in the middle of the night in his sleep. Well, naturally this alarmed his roommate, who bolted upright in bed at the alarming noise and frantically asked what was wrong. Waking from his sleep, Caleb said that he had a dream where the villain from Mulan tried to kill him. lololololololol :lmao:

Anyway, now back to the regularly scheduled program:

I answered the phone to hear the wake-up call at All-Star Movies, and to my surprise on the other end was the familiar voice of Olaf from Frozen. I loved the old Stitch wake-up call, but it was time for a change, and Olaf's excited tone is a great way to start a day in Disney!

IMG_2330.JPG

We ate breakfast at the All-Star food court (the shock value of being there still settling in!). I had a Mickey waffle, some grapes, yogurt, and a container of Chip & Dale orange crackers (tasted like Cheese Nips). They were an absolute bargain and lasted the entire day. They were perfect for munching on something quick when I was kind of hungry but didn't want to stop to sit down somewhere as we toured the park.

IMG_2334.JPG

And before we knew it... it was time to go to the MAGIC KINGDOM! :dance3:

Something that I have always been a firm believer of: Getting to the park earlier than necessary and waiting outside the park gates. The time stamp on my pictures say that we got in the All Star bus line at 7:35 and were fully in front of the MK train station by 8:04. I would MUCH rather do this than get in line for the bus at, say, 8:00, when you would face a longer bus line and then risk making it to the park in time for the opening show. I'd rather wake up 20 mins earlier and just chill in front of the park guaranteed than prompt that extra stress. (This way, the food court is much less crowded when you eat, too.)

We were SO EXCITED!! When the opening show began, that's when it really hit me how surreal of an experience this whole trip was. This was really happening. We were here.

IMG_2336.JPG

Something kind of neat, from Town Square we saw Magic Kingdom Vice President Phil Holmes standing with a tour group at the backside of the train station. You know leaders generallly have a firm grasp on what they're part of, but it's always cool to actually see them being part of it and putting themselves in the shoes of the people they serve.

The next moment was something I looked forward to from the moment we decided to take the trip, and something I never really thought I'd get to witness personally: Walking into the Magic Kingdom with someone who had never been there before, and sharing the experience with them of seeing Cinderella Castle for the first time. Holy freakin crap. Wow.

IMG_2339.JPG

We didn't have a set agenda for the day other than our Fastpass+ reservations, but we knew we wanted our first attraction to be Space Mountain. We took a longer route so that Brody could have the experience of walking all the way down Main Street and then through the Castle.

Space was fantastic as always. :cool2: Getting off, we went to obtain Fastpasses for later. Space was one of our Fastpass+ ressies, but we figured we'd also go ahead and grab physical FPs too while we were there. But to our surprise and disappointment, we learned the most primary fundamental of Fastpass+ that somehow we failed to realize until then: Fastpass+ replaces physical FPs rather than working in conjunction with them. This meant that our 3 Fastpass+ ressies were the only FPs we could get all day. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. :confused: This was a real bummer to us. If you work the system well, you can get way more than 3 FPs the old way. We asked the CM if we could exchange our MagicBand privileges to just use FP the regular way, and he said no. (We later asked this same question at Guest Services and they said yes, you are allowed to trade, but at that point the day was halfway over so we didn't.) I wish there was a happy medium where you could reserve FPs on your phone, but you did it as you went about your day, you know? Oh, well.

So, with all that confusion out of the way, we hopped back in the standby line for Space Mountain to ride it again (just 10 minutes, which we came to find all day means walk-on in Disneyspeak). Getting off, we ran into someone wearing an Elevation Church jacket - our home church! Crazy! Small world. (See what I did there.) We chatted with him for a few minutes and then took the quiet pathway from Tomorrowland to Storybook Circus. I adored Toontown to death, but I must say I absolutely LOVE Storybook Circus. The landscaping, the rustic feel of everything, the background music, and especially the way is still retains some of the main aspects of Toontown but does so with a classy, vintage style rather than loud and in-your-face. The Imagineers did a fantastic job.

I'm a big fan of meeting characters, but it isn't a huge priority for the others. That's why I was really glad Pete's Silly Sideshow literally had about 2 other families inside it--it would be an easy sell! We met Goofy and Donald, and Goofy's encounter was really fun. I explained to Goofy that it was Brody's first time in Disney, and asked what's the #1 thing he should do today if he doesn't do anything else.

IMG_2523.JPG

At first Goofy told us the Barnstormer (his ride!), but then made a cancelling motion, getting ready for a different suggestion. He stuck his foot out in a pose, but we didn't know what that meant. A show? Nope. The Laugh Floor? Nope. The cars? Nope. Goofy was getting frustrated and kept doing the same thing, but we just couldn't get it. Finally he went to his Character Attendant, grabbed a piece of paper, and wrote on it "Princesses." Ohhhhhhhhhh. Meet princesses! You were doing a princess curtsy pose thing. Ok.

IMG_2524.JPG

IMG_2525.JPG

Next up, Dumbo! There is a symbol on many Disney ride vehicles that indicates not to move around like a crazy person while you're experiencing the attraction. Someone on the DIS a while back posted that their family calls this the "No Dancing" symbol. I thought that was the funniest thing, and that's all I think of every time I see it now.

IMG_2354.JPG

We strolled through Fantasyland, but passed by everything because we wanted to save those until the very end of the day (tradition :)). Haunted Mansion time!! Entering the line, we gave Jeremy a hard time. The night before when he had been looking over an MK Guidemap, he suddenly shouted, "THE HAUNTED MANSION! I FORGOT! THE HAUNTED MANSION IS IN THE MAGIC KINGDOM! YES!" Caleb and I glanced at him like what planet have you been living on and joked with him about how excited he was for the Haunted Mansion. I sat with Brody, and his reactions were great. He's a web developer, and he loved all the special technical effects, especially the ghost projections in the graveyard room. He was turning around in his seat a lot trying to figure out how everything worked. :hmghost:

We ventured into Frontierland for the mountain ranges. Big Thunder had a posted 20-minute wait, but it was more like 10. Always a fun one. Then Splash Mountain was a straight-up walk-on because it was so cold. We were hesitant to get on because of the low temperatures, and because Brody isn't a huge fan of water. But Caleb assured us that they turn the water levels down in the wintertime... YEAH RIGHT. Goodness gracious. We got soaked!

The first of several waves in Tropical Storm Splash came at the very beginning when we passed in front of Chickapin Hill. We saw the water spraying. But surely it was censored and when it felt our log coming, it would die down. Lolnope. Dang it! Wet wet wet! Well, that was ok, it was just one jet, the hills won't be as bad. Lolnope. The first hill (you know, the really small one that if someone were to tell you you'd get wet on, you would ask why they are insulting your intelligence), our log pummeled down that thing and (we could see it coming, almost like a horrific slow motion tape in our mind) the tidal wave rose from the depths, soared above us, and crashed down upon us like nobody's business. And that was just the baby hill! It was the wettest I've ever gotten on Splash Mountain, but it was also the funnest ride I've ever had on it. The cold (rather than the sweltering heat) meant we wanted to avoid water (rather than embrace it), which added a new level of play to the attraction.

IMG_2356.JPG

Brody's favorite Disney movie is Aladdin, so next we went to create a little magic moment. :wizard: We entered Adventureland toward the Magic Carpets - he'd get to live the most iconic scene from his favorite Disney film! On our way, I noticed Aladdin and Jasmine had just come out for a meet & greet. Perfect! We hopped in line to meet them, and as we did, the Character Attendant closed the line. That was weird, I thought. There weren't that many people in line ahead of us, so why was the line already closing? But then we realized the line was closed even though it was so short because Aladdin and Jasmine were spending a good whole 1-2 minutes with every family. If we'd be the end of their set, we're looking at about a 20-minute line. The attention Aladdin and Jasmine were giving was really neat and I'd imagine very memorable, but we didn't think it was worth waiting that long, so we got out of line and went to the Carpets.

I forgot how fun that ride is! I like it much more than Dumbo. "A Whole New World" is my favorite Disney song, so that might have something to do with it, but I had just forgotten how enjoyable of a ride it is, and Brody loved it. And I had COMPLETELY forgotten about the safety spiel. :rotfl:

Carpets.jpg

Artsy hipster vscocam #notreally​

Brody had to do some work at this point, so he split from us while Caleb, Jeremy, and I rode the Jingle Cruise. This was another thing that was kind of surreal. I had been surprised and delighted when Disney announced they were giving the Jungle Cruise a Christmas overlay, but of course I didn't expect that I'd get to experience it. I don't think it was until I got to the park that I realized I'd get to see it! They did a really nice job with it. I don't really think some of its criticism is warranted, and the partial negative buzz it got came from too high expectations. But if you go in expecting a fun little overlay rather than a completely different ride, it's a start-to-finish pleasure. It was the longest line we waited in all day at 35 minutes. Looking back, I'm glad we had to wait for it, though, as it gave time to soak in the Christmas props in the queue as well as the special Christmas-themed "radio station" playing in the background. It was a perfect amount of time to take in all the details but not wait an overbearingly long time.

IMG_2362.JPG

My favorite joke this time, from when the rhinos chase the explorers up the pole: "That explorer's name is Hontas. So you know what the rhino decided to do today? Poke a Hontas." :laughing: At the end, Jeremy volunteered Caleb's head to be sold to Trader Sam to be shrunk. Caleb was not amused.

Swiss Family Treehouse next. I'm glad that that's still there. :goodvibes

Now, let's split up and look for clues. Caleb and Jeremy went to go grab a table for lunch at Casey's Corner, and I went to go find Brody, who texted us saying he was watching Move It Shake It Celebrate It in the Hub. So I went searching for him, and I will tell you that task is easier said than done. Somehow I ended up in the conga line. I never did find him, and eventually he texted me saying he went to go explore some of the park and that he'd catch up with us later. Well, we had done our job right. It had happened: He was experiencing the magic on his own accord and wanted special time to soak it all in. :guilty: They grow up so fast. [Tear.]

IMG_2372.JPG

So while I was still in the Hub, I went ahead and stayed for the rest of Move It Shake It, and unexpectedly got a bit misty-eyed when all the floats made their exit and "Celebrate You" started playing. I've seen this show several times, so it really surprised me that I got emotional. Nothing hysterical, just a brief tearing up. I could feel it coming on. The song started and the floats started moving. Then Mickey waved right at me. Well there you go, that about did it for me. I guess it's the whole nature surrounding this trip: Being so spur-of-the-moment, happening so fast, one minute taking final exams and the next minute being in my favorite place in the world. It didn't feel real, and realizing that it actually WAS real prompted several similar out-of-nowhere, brief waterworks at how glad I was to be there. I couldn't be happier.

Continuing our video version of the TR (for you, my friends, only the best), here is Jeremy's vlog of part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySfTSgZlcnA

Boy, you got that right. ::yes::

How neat that you got to bring along someone who'd never been, and who appreciated it properly!

I can't decide for our next trip whether to do the parks or the non-park stuff. We did the parks last time, and I really missed doing the resorts and riding the boats (my favorite is from Wilderness Lodge to the MK, because I love the canal over the road!), plus we still haven't done the boats from DTD to Port Orleans, or Bob Jackson, or even visited Caribbean Beach, or... well, lots of little stuff. :p

What I need to do is get a parks ticket and then not add to it, but of course once you have a three day ticket, adding days is a huge temptation. And the more days in the park, the less days doing the other stuff. :upsidedow

Also very cool that you got to stay onsite. :thumbsup2

I definitely agree - sometimes the difference between one more day gets to the point where it's like "Well, I practically *have* to stay another day" ;) But I'm right there with you, there are a ton of resort things I'd love to do. I had forgotten about the DTD boats and Bob... excuse to go back, right?

I believe you may have created another Disney addict by taking the newbie! I'm sure he thanks you. :laughing:

I'm not a fan of being "Splash-ed" if it is cooler than 76 degrees out! Nope, not at all. Looks like you were in for a soaking.

I watched the vlogs including the ever so graceful ballet moves - that was ballet right? Very well done.

You guys look like you are having a blast so far. :)

a container of Chip & Dale orange crackers (tasted like Cheese Nips).

I like to get food at WDW I'm not likely to get anywhere else, but I'm too picky for a lot of that sort of thing; those are something I should add to my list. :thumbsup2

Something that I have always been a firm believer of: Getting to the park earlier than necessary and waiting outside the park gates.

Agreed, but while it's worth doing at all of them, for me it's much more of a buzz at the MK than at the other parks.

I explained to Goofy that it was Brody's first time in Disney, and asked what's the #1 thing he should do today if he doesn't do anything else.
[CLIP]
Finally he went to his Character Attendant, grabbed a piece of paper, and wrote on it "Princesses." Ohhhhhhhhhh. Meet princesses! You were doing a princess curtsy pose thing. Ok.

Goofy has my college-aged son's number. :p

Actually he does all the face characters. Which just happen to be mostly princesses. ;)

Your Splash story cracked me up. And you got to do the Jingle Cruise! :cool2:

Swiss Family Treehouse next. I'm glad that that's still there. :goodvibes

Very much so yes. ::yes:: Hope they never take it away, and also hope they don't do it over for Tarzan or somebody.

I really like the Move It, Shake It parade. The crowds are more tolerable and the interaction is keen. :thumbsup2

Great update and pics. Missed the Jingle Cruise when we were there.

Good video too.

:wave2: Hi, everyone. What did everyone think of that big Disney announcement yesterday? There's going to be a FIFTH PARK called Austin & Ally Land! ::yes:: Jk. But what if there was. What if there was...

Anyway. Now that your heart rate has returned to normal... to recap, I'm alone, Brody is alone exploring, and Caleb and Jeremy are eating lunch. I went to grab an ice cream cookie sandwich from Sleepy Hollow. I got really excited when I remembered that you can have it with candy cane ice cream in the middle at Christmastime - but when I got there they said all they had was vanilla and cookies and cream. Whaaaaaat. I went with the latter, which was still incredible. (But weird for the weather to be cool enough to not melt ferociously in my hands under the Florida sun.) I caught up with Caleb and Jeremy, who were in the Hub on a bench watching Dream Along with Mickey. Love that show. (Though I am surprised they're not creating a new castle show to coincide with the new parade this spring, it's been there a while now.)

As I chowed down, inevitably I stained my Santa Mickey hat with ice cream smudges. (The next week when I washed it at home, the stains didn't come out, but that secretly made me happy. :firefight) And, low and behold, who should show up in the castle show than Captain Hook! Caleb was shaken again. :laughing: while Jeremy shouted repeatedly, "Pick him! Pick him!" This is Caleb's "not amused" face: :surfweb:

We caught up with Brody for our 1:25 Space Mountain FastPasses, and then enjoyed the PeopleMover (and other compound words with stylistic mid-word capitalization). The Space Mountain portion of PeopleMover is always so disorienting! Next up was Laugh Floor. Must be tradition because the same thing happened to us as the last time I visited Laugh Floor - we were the last party to be admitted into the theater, so we had to squeeze into the remaining available seats, which meant we were all split up. Bummer. BUT it was a good audience at least. This one guy kept dancing like a madman every time the camera went to him! A little girl, poor thing, started crying when she was chosen to be Boo. It was so sad. I was SO hoping Caleb would be "That Guy," but, alas, was not.

As we headed down Main Street and entered Town Square, Mary Poppins strolled by on her way backstage from her meet & greet. When she passed by, I said hello and she bid me a good afternoon. :blush: At about the same time, Pluto chased Marie (the Aristocat) around the flagpole lol.

IMG_2374.JPG

Next up, parade time!!! Let me say this: I know a lot of people were not huge fans of Celebrate a Dream Come True. I love this parade, and was so glad to see it one last time before it ended just a few days after our visit. The music (THE MUSIC) paired with the strong emphasis on character interaction was what made it so special to me. The fact that the floats and choreography WEREN'T the best meant that the focus HAD to be shifted from performance to interaction, and as such you get some incredible moments with characters throughout the whole thing.

Granted, like I said earlier, the others are not huge character/show/parade fans. They appeased my requests to see it on the basis that Brody had never seen a Disney parade. Well, slap me thrice and call me Betty Sue, because the parade ended up being one of their favorite things of the entire day! Again, because of the interaction. We sat at what I believe to be the best parade spot in the whole park, right outside the barber shop where the parade first begins. The Disboards turned me on to this location a while back: there's hardly anybody there so you can get there about 15 minutes before showtime instead of waiting forever, and the performers are fresh and energetic since they've just gotten started. Putting the two reasons together - because there's nobody around AND because the characters are so enthusiastic, that means YOU are basically the only people that they come up to! Not to mention that this particular parade encompasses EVERY character that is integral to the Disney legacy in one procession - they're all here, and since it moves so quickly, it's almost like they're just popping out of a storybook and you're turning the pages quickly or something. What is lacks in float intricacy it makes up for excellent character memories.

IMG_2375.JPG

We got a ton of great moments. First off, everyone in the opening unit was fantastic. If anybody from Disney management ever reads this at any time, go back and look up the records for the Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade on December 18, 2013, and give every Cast Member in that opening float a raise. Right out of the gate, they were on the ball. Donald and Lilo immediately went over to mess with the Parade Audience Control Cast Members, which I tried to get on camera (above) but you can't really tell what's happening. But I'm pretty sure Donald is shaking his shaking his tail feather while Lilo is looking on aghast.

IMG_2379.JPG

Mickey and Minnie were wonderful. The BEST of either of them I've seen, probably ever. (And I'm not just throwing out compliments here, they were really THAT good.) Very expressive - totally in character while also still being engaging with the crowd. Loved it.

IMG_2382.JPG

Jessie came up and grabbed my nose (like, literally, she tried to pull my nose off of my face it was the weirdest thing ever), and (this made my entire vacation worth every penny) Caleb was an all-out villain magnet. I don't know what it was, but every single bad guy came up to him!! The funniest was Jafar. Caleb was looking down (I guess at his phone, maybe he had just taken a picture or something?), and when he looked back up Jafar was right in his face and scared him half to death. :rotfl2: A few floats later, the Queen of Hearts strode right over to Caleb and just stood there staring at him. She then turned to the rest of us, and indicated the "crazy" hand signal :rotfl: Jeremy replied, "I know right," and the White Rabbit came over and laughed. THEN (this is the BEST), we shouted for Captain Hook to come over and he DID! Caleb was practically petrified :lmao: I told Captain Hook that Caleb has always been afraid of him, to which Captain Hook extended his hand for a handshake. Not the reaction I expected, but I guess you can say that the 20-year-old misunderstanding between them is resolved. Mr. Smee was right there for this whole encounter, and Caleb turned to him and said, "I actually do like you," and Mr. Smee celebrated something fierce.

IMG_2377.JPG

Our final fun moment was with Cinderella's stepfamily. Lady Tremaine barked at all of us, "WHY AREN'T YOU APPLAUDING FOR ME," and of course we all began clapping, and naturally she acted very humbled and shocked to receive applause. Then Drizella clumsily skipped over to Jeremy, and Caleb said something like, "Look, Jeremy, you've got yourself a date!" And then Drizella looked at Jeremy and said, "Ooooh yeah what do you want to know?" :laughing:

It was without a doubt the best parade experience I have ever had in any Disney theme park, ever. Period.

The whole time I FaceTimed my mom back home at work, since she did the same thing for me when she went with friends in October. Technology!

We crossed Town Square to meet Mickey. On one hand, it makes ZERO sense that Mickey still meets during the parade and it totally ruins the magic (as does the whole very obvious room thing...), but at the same time there was not a wait at all since everyone was still watching the parade. Sooo anyway. I was ecstatic when I found out Mickey was talking permanently after all of those on-and-off tests they did for so long. Just the thought of it - getting to talk to MICKEY MOUSE and he will TALK BACK TO YOU. Like whaaaaat?!?!?! That is amazing. I was so pumped, and walking into that room was something I will never forget.

"Hey, there! Come on in." :faint:

I had watched some YouTube videos beforehand and I knew that Mickey would ultimately steer the conversation in a certain direction, so right after he finished shaking each of our hands and saying hi, before he could say anything else, I had the great pleasure of officially introducing my childhood hero to one of my best friends. "Mickey, this is Brody. It's his first time here and he's never met you before."

That mouse didn't miss a beat.

"It is?! Gosh! Welcome, pal. Thanks for comin' to visit us."

:eek::sad:

IMG_2526.JPG

The whole conversation lasted a good 3 minutes, and involved Mickey doing a card trick. Then when it was time to go, the PhotoPass card wouldn't work. The other 3 had already exited, and I was waiting with the PhotoPass CM while she tried to figure it out, but in the meantime the next family couldn't go to meet Mickey yet because the CM wouldn't be able to take their pictures. So there was a cool moment when Mickey tried to zap some Pixie Dust into the card reader, and what do you know, it worked. andthenmickeysaidseeyourealsoonandblakedied

So a freakin awesome parade and getting to talk to Mickey Mouse. Those two experiences, one after the other, was probably the proudest I have ever been as a Disney fan. It just encompassed everything I love so much about this place and the stories (both fictional that it represents and real that we create while we're there) that embody it.

It was about this time that something occurred to me that I never thought of before, and will change the way I visit WDW from now on. I had seen that same parade a bunch of times before. I've been meeting Mickey since I was a toddler. So what made today so different? It was the way it was approached: Watching the parade was not just a passive observance, it was a fun memory we were part of. Meeting Mickey wasn't the typical autograph-and-picture routine, it was a real, fluid conversation. These genuine reactions gave a very real authenticity to everything we did. They really put something in perspective for me: The magic is in the moments, not the experiences. Walt Disney once said, “You can design and create and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” That’s what gives these parks the special qualities that permeate our fondest memories of our visits there: the interactions. The encounters. The verbal, visual, and exceptional exchanges we have throughout our day. This includes Cast Members, but it also encompasses the people we share our memories with: our family and friends. What Walt Disney World exists to bring us are quality, fantastical moments that we’ll never forget with the people we value most. That’s where the magic lives.

----------------------------------

Up next: Are you a mommy with a vicious touring plan that you've been slaving over for months? Too bad if you visit Enchanted Tales with Belle at 4:25!

Great update and pics.

The parade sounds like fun and so did Mickey. We missed him this past trip.

I'm calling this "Part 4.5" so that is stays in continuity with Jeremy's vlogs - so Part 4 and Part 4.5 on this TR collectively make up the Part 4 vlog (link below).

After pretty much being on cloud 9 after the parade and talking to Mickey, next we rode the train to Fantasyland because it was time for our FastPasses Enchanted Tales With Belle.

IMG_2384.JPG

Not bad for mid-day! The week before Christmas is legit.​

I was very surprised last May when Enchanted Tales ended up being my favorite part of New Fantasyland - it's really the technology and the repeatability factor (no two shows the same) that drive it home. I think part of it too was that my expectations for it were not very high, so when I actually experienced it, I was impressed all the more.

Something kind of funny but strange though - when the wardrobe asked if everyone had a part that wanted a part, before anybody had a chance to utter one syllable, the CM immediately shut it all down and blurted "Yep, they sure do!" very quickly. I looked at Caleb, and we were both thinking the same thing. It was kind of humorous the way the guy had said it, but at the same time I felt bad for any little kids who wanted to meet Belle but now couldn't. Maybe they do this when crowds pick up mid-day? Idk. But if my kid's favorite character was Belle and they didn't get a part, I'd be upset!

IMG_2388.JPG

Jeremy was the suit of armor. :rotfl2: And those CMs did not let him stop marching, I will tell you that. When he got his picture taken with Belle at the end, she remarked, "Oh, you're a very strong suit of armor." :rolleyes2

On our way to dinner, we noticed the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train was testing our its ride vehicle! Woooaaaahhhhhh. So cool! Then, it was really weird, an ambush of crows descended from the heavens onto the stroller parking, which was right beside us. Lol for a moment it was like life flashing before my eyes as the swarm of featherd rushed toward our face.

Dinner at Pinocchio Village Haus - got a flatbread (good!), and we ate in the outside balcony. I'd never eaten up there and we had the whole entire balcony to ourselves! I really think not many people know it's there. It's a beautiful view. I didn't notice until I got home that we were sitting there when all the lights came on for the night.

IMG_2401.JPG

IMG_2402-001.JPG

We made our way toward the Hub for Cinderella's Holiday Wish (the castle lighting), and as we did two little boys approached us. "Excuse me, I don't know where my mom is!" Oh, no! I guess it's good that we look approachable though haha. The boys' mom was smart - she had written her phone number on the boys' hands just in case they got separated. Clever clever clever. We got them back together, and felt like much bigger heroes than we were haha.

Then... I don't know where this even came from (we were probably reaching the point of tiredness when you're just delirious), but Caleb acted like he was a character (Mowgli lol) and just stood right beside the castle and started waving to people as they walked by just like characters do. It was hilarious. Everyone he waved at didn't know what the heck he was doing, and a grand total of two people waved back hahahahahahahaha.

IMG_2404.JPG

The Castle lighting up... oh my goodness :wizard: We watched right near the Adventureland bridge so we could easily beat the crowd once it was over. Next up, pirate:! This was the 2nd time I rode it since the mermaids were added, and I liked them better this time, probably since I knew what to expect. They hyped them up waaaaay too much. Kind of like the Jingle Cruise - might've been better for them to just be added without much fanfare.

I LOVE PIRATES. Especially the drop and then the reveal of Barbossa's ship. One of my favorite attraction moments, so iconic. Brody really liked it, and actually kept asking if we were outside or inside because he couldn't figure it out.

Next we had our FPs for Big Thunder! Sooooo cool to ride it at night, especially with a chill in the air. :woohoo: Then Brody split up to make a few phone calls, Jeremy and I went to Country Bear Jamboree, and Caleb went to Splash Mountain again. He said he was the only person in the entire line because it was so cold. When he got to the front, he asked the CM if it was even open, then the CM laughed and said, "Yep, it sure is!" with a face that basically read "Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah you are going to be frigid and only an idiot would ride Splash Mountain in these conditions."

Country Bear Jamboree was about 1/3 full, and it was a surprisingly (and refreshingly) enthusiastic audience. They clapped along and laughed at all the jokes. I freakin love the Country Bear Jamboree.

We then hightailed it over to Tomorrowland to do Space Ranger Spin. I am horrible at that ride. It's kinda embarrassing.

IMG_2412.JPG

We noticed the Buzz Animatronic was behind a huge curtain in the queue. The curtain looked pretty nice, and had the ride's logo on it, so I couldn't tell it it was a temporary fixture or not. (It looked like something that maybe was at one time temporary but upgraded to look permanent.) I asked the nearby CM where the Buzz Animatronic was, and he replied with a straight face: "Oh, yes, he went to, uh, what was it? Oh, yeah. Infinity and beyond.") Aaahaahaaa...butreallywhereishe.

Apparently now, though, Buzz is back and the curtain is gone. Buzz Lightyear used to be one of my favorite attractions - Toy Story has always been one of my top Disney movies. But now that Toy Story Mania is open, I just don't find Space Ranger Spin that fun. It feels outdated and at times cheesy. Idk.

Next: Celebrate the Magic! That technology is SOOOO COOOOOOL. The new part for Frozen - WOAH! Goodness gracious! :eek: I think it's about time for the Imagineers to combine Celebrate the Magic with Wishes, though - they already do that in Paris and the videos I've seen look fantastic. I'm not sure if I would want Wishes to leave, though. But in any case, Wishes was amazing as usual. Love love love love the crowd reaction when Tinker Bell flies.

We had, sadly, reached the point in the vacation that elicits a stomach pummel upon glancing at the time. It was 9:15, and the park would close at 11. There was just a short time left to soak in the magic, and then it would all be over.

Heading to Fantasyland, we made our way to Little Mermaid. New Fantasyland at nighttime is beautiful. We intentionally saved a bulk of Fantasyland for last to really encompass the Disney experience. I had been on LM once before, but really enjoyed it a lot more this time. On our way inside, Caleb remarked at how it would probably be remembered by our generation in the same way that Haunted Mansion is celebrated today, and he's totally right. With that perspective in mind going into it, I really paid attention to a lot more. Just because we could, we rode it again.

Next was Small World, which everyone hated except for me haha. Pooh and Peter Pan had really long lines, so we opted to skip it. Kind of a bummer, but oh well. The Barnstormer was a walk-on, which is the only condition I will ever ride that thing for lol. It's fun and all, but... earlier it had been 45 mins. I just don't understand why anyone would wait that long for it. I get the whole "first roller coaster" thing, but... it's literally about 28 seconds long! But. Still a fun ride, and Storybook Circus at nighttime is freakin gorgeous.

Mad Tea Party next! And I swear, every time when that bizarre break noise comes on that signals the end of the ride, I always think I broke the vehicle haha.

And at long last, it was time for the attraction that I always intentionally save for the finale, my favorite thing in all of WDW: Mickey's PhilharMagic. To me, this attraction so perfectly sums up every emotion associated with Disney as a whole, and does it so well--laughter, reflection, amazement, excellence--that it is the quintessential attraction to bid you farewell. I got a little misty-eyed during A Whole New World... it was really starting to set in.

As we exited, it technically wasn't 11:00 yet. So while PhilharMagic was planned to be our last attraction, we could still get in any line up until 11:00 and we'd still be allowed to ride. So we chose Peter Pan's Flight! At this point, it was a walk-on. Although I felt weird going on something else after I had gone into PhilharMagic with the mindset of it being the last attraction, of course I wasn't about to complain about going on another ride and Peter Pan ended up being just as good of a send-off. Dat London scene.

IMG_2424.JPG

It was officially after 11 now, and it was time to leave. Walking through the Castle at the end of a trip... :guilty: That just about sums it up.

On Main Street, we noticed the shops and Starbucks were all still open. So we got some hot chocolates and went back toward the Hub, sat on a bench in front of the Castle, and enjoyed a pensive, content moment as 4 friends. Then the closing announcement with Mickey's voice and the Pixie Dust all over the Castle did its thing and then basically :sad: but at the same time :)

IMG_2430.JPG

As we headed down Main Street, I was surprised at how many PhotoPass CMs were still out. I understand they're trying to get as many photos (and subsequently photo sales) as possible, but to me that just encouraged staying in the park even longer... I mean, I wasn't complaining that they weren't kicking us out yet, but it did seem odd. We had a great conversation with a CM for about 5 minutes about the whereabouts of Walt's frozen head. She assured us he is not frozen, and then went on to tell us some neat trivia (like the Castle lights use the same amount of energy as 3 loads of laundry!).

IMG_2433.JPG

IMG_2437.JPG

We walked toward the exit (for real this time). Looking back at the Castle one last time, Main Street nearly deserted and framed in a sea of Christmas garland, I was so thankful to have this quick, surprise recharge at this place I admire so much with people I respect so greatly. Going home in the morning would be bittersweet. The whole adventure was, in a word, unreal.

--------------

Fast-forward 24 hours later:

IMG_2472.JPG

To be continued ;)

----------------

Vlog Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQsIYuxX7qw

I'm calling this "Part 4.5" so that is stays in continuity with Jeremy's vlogs - so Part 4 and Part 4.5 on this TR collectively make up the Part 4 vlog (link below).
And at long last, it was time for the attraction that I always intentionally save for the finale, my favorite thing in all of WDW: Mickey's PhilharMagic. To me, this attraction so perfectly sums up every emotion associated with Disney as a whole, and does it so well--laughter, reflection, amazement, excellence--that it is the quintessential attraction to bid you farewell. I got a little misty-eyed during A Whole New World... it was really starting to set in.

I was a passholder when Mickey's PhilharMagic opened and was at the AP Preview, sat through it 7 times, then returned later for more. My review that night was: "One can go to WDW, see this attraction, and go home, and it will have been worth it."

Nice job on doing the park, and nice report on it,

:)

Jud

Great update and pics.

I love closing down MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter