We Ate, We Drank, We Conquered - An Aug/Sep '16 Dining Report - Complete 3/11

Great review! I think of big juicy charred steak of I think of ribeye too so your husband isn't totally off the mark. I would love to go to CG but I am afraid my DH will be left hungry. He would have eaten that steak in 4 bites.
Thanks! Yeah, the ribeye certainly wasn't the most filling. But appetizers and dessert help fill that void :-)

I'm eagerly awaiting that last Bloody Mary and the start of your next review!
Commencing any moment, at least on the bloody mary front :-)

I just love your dining reports, and am always sad to see them coming to an end. Thank goodness you make fairly frequent Disney trips, lol! I love Bloody Mary's, so I've def got my eye on that African one! Is Tusker House the only place to get them? My sis, bff & I have a dinner reservation booked for the ROL show on our upcoming girls' only trip, so I'll def have to try one. You said it's not on the menu? What do I ask for? will they know what I'm talking about, lol? Your Casey is too adorable! Love her modeling poses, as well as the male model, too, lol! :laughing: Oh, and I love the dress you wore to dinner at CG! It looks so nice on you.
Thanks. And thankfully in this case when this one ends, the next will be beginning in fairly short order.

They have the African bloody marys at the Dawa bar (along with 3 other kinds I believe) so you can get them there, but they are usually only served from 10-11 or 12 I think. I don't know why they aren't on the menu, but just say African bloody mary and they'll whip it right up.

I can't even!!!! :crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

Really, your filet looks GREAT. I think Justin's came w/ marble duck fat potatoes, so it's nice to see how they switch things up. I can't decide if I enjoyed Narcoossees or CG more, but I can't wait to go back to both.
Marble duck fat potatoes!!!!!! Now that sounds awesome. CG probably gets the slight tick up from me, but only because I prefer how often they rotate their menu.

Great updates thanks for taking the time to write the repost for us to drool over xx
You are most welcome!!! Hope you enjoyed

First of all thank you very much for your incredible review. I enjoyed how each of your personalities came through, and enhanced the fun of reading about your experiences. I am looking forward to having a wonderful time in each of these places when I visit Disney for the first time. Seeing and hearing all of the reviews have been helpful in knowing what I would like to enjoy once I finally get there. Thanks again for the great review!
Wow, thanks so much. I'm glad that you enjoyed. So exciting you have your first trip planned!!!!

I would have loved a picture of Jason joining the kids in their game of Duck Duck Goose :duck: Seriously *** (do you know that acronym :P) I can't believe parents would put that many kids alone at a table and not go check on them once. If they WERE out of control and I had a few of that cool looking cocktail you had, I would've ended up saying something to them. Even though I have kids I put up with no crap young ones!
I too love getting a familiar server who is exceptional. The first time we went to Citricos we had a fabulous server and on our 2nd visit we saw him, even though we weren't in his section. He came over to us, remembered us and where we were from! He played a big part in our experience there the first time and while the food on that visit was also fantastic, I think the service makes that dinner stand out so much more. And in the same way it makes you want to return even when your meal isn't the best overall.
Because you know Jason oh so well and him not joining in was a minor miracle in life :P And do I know ***? I'm pretty sure I invented the term :P I still have no idea what was going on at that table. We were far enough away it wasn't to annoying, but i was just amazed that parents have such little disregard for other diners.

I'm totally with you on the servers. We had another good one at CG this past trip, but missed Gary. Think we may ask for him next time

The Last "Supper"

Before I get to the last day of this trip, I have some good news to share. We hadn't planned on heading back to Disney until next February, but when I realized that Casey conveniently has a school break at the same time as the Wine and Dine Half Marathon the stars seemed to align for a November trip. Thanks to some magic from @ariane37 we were able to score a good rate at POR, so we're all set. Now of course I want nothing to do with the aforementioned marathon, but Jason running means food and wine for me, the world for Casey and everyone is happy :-)

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.....

It was our last day in Disney, but thankfully we had more time to eat before the tragical express picked us up. After an easy pack and bag drop off, we headed upstairs to Kona for a last breakfast. Apparently as it was our last day, my note taking skills had suffered a bit as they say.....

Amazing Samoan

J Cakes
Casey French
Spicy Bloody Mary

While that could have translated to this....

According to my pictures, it actually meant this...

The Samoan for me. Poached Eggs, Hollandaise, served over Smoked Pulled Pork Hash and topped with arugula. Gonna go with this was amazing!

And of course one last Disney Bloody Mary!!!!

For Jason his beautiful aforementioned cake actually meant Macadamia Pineapple Pancakes.

No notes on how this tasted but given past successes with the wonders of macadamia nut butter and pineapple compote, I'm gonna declare it a winner!!

I didn't get a picture of what I gather was Casey's french toast, but I did find this beauty

Kona Coffee Pressed Pot. Because when you drink at breakfast a little caffeine can do a long way :drinking1

I have no comments on our service and remember nothing about it, so I'm going to go with it was mediocre vice the normal bad, so success! In all seriousness though, Kona is our go to Disney breakfast place. The service is usually pretty bad, but the breakfast is so darn good we can overlook it. With our tables in wonderland card we saved $9.15.

After breakfast we headed to Ep-A-Cot one last time to swim with some fishes, listen to the land, trip with a purple dragon, and it wouldn't have been Florida without one last rain storm. Thankfully the rain meant some of the characters were indoors (aka their lines were nonexistent) so Casey had fun meeting these English lasses.

From England we headed over to Arendale, um I mean Norway, to ride with those frozen chics and nosh on some Norwegian delicacies before we left.

Couldn't leave disney without a troll horn and school bread!!!

After one last request from Casey to smell Rome burn, we headed back to the Poly where we begrudgingly got on the tragical express and eventually made it home. To no ones surprise the trip ended, just as it began, with Jason and I drinking some wine and reflecting on another great trip.

Next up, some parting thoughts on this trip and hopefully I'll get the next one going.

Oh and before I go a certain little girl is looking over my shoulder and wanted to share this message....

:banana::cheer2::cake:::MinnieMo::MickeyMo::MinnieMo::MickeyMo:dumbo::goofy:

Last edited:
So if you are going in November, does that mean we finally get to meet? My husband is running that challenge! I'm running the 10K. Outside of that, we're planning on eating lots in EPCOT! We're there 11/2 to 11/6 at Boardwalk Villas.

Looks like a great final breakfast!

Been a little behind on your DR but am catching up!! BTW, we'll be there for F&W, running the Fall Feast 5k. If you're around we should meet up! Our date are Oct 30-Nov 4th. I am also thinking of extending another night. :)

Another amazing report!
I've never tried Kona's breakfast. Given how people love it, that's kind of tragical (like the Express).
Love Casey's message. She can really rock those emojis. Maybe after November's trip, she might write a segment for you! :thumbsup2

Amazing Samoan
J Cakes
Casey French
Spicy Bloody Mary

Oh my gosh, this cracked me up...where on earth did you find that random J-shaped cake picture? LOL

Looks like a great ending to a great trip! And yes, by all means, get the next report going! Was that your AKL stay? Curious to hear what you thought.

Amazing Samoan
J Cakes
Casey French
Spicy Bloody Mary

The pictures you found are perfect! I almost peed myself. Which is getting easier to do the older I get

I cannot believe I didn't get schoolbread in Nov. That won't happen again this month!

Thanks to some magic from @ariane37 we were able to score a good rate at POR, so we're all set
pixiedust: And here's a few princesses just for you princess:princess:princess: because I cannot wait to see pictures of the fireworks-spouting headboard in your room ;) :rotfl2:

Looks like a great last day, Kona is on our breakfast list for August, I think last day is a great idea for it. Sounds like a fun trip will be had in November!

We hadn't planned on heading back to Disney until next February, but when I realized that Casey conveniently has a school break at the same time as the Wine and Dine Half Marathon the stars seemed to align for a November trip. Thanks to some magic from @ariane37 we were able to score a good rate at POR, so we're all set.
Awesome! Have you been to POR before? Our last trip we stayed in a Royal room there. It's a nice resort and the room is fun. I'm sure Casey will like it.

The Samoan for me. Poached Eggs, Hollandaise, served over Smoked Pulled Pork Hash and topped with arugula. Gonna go with this was amazing!
It sounds great. I've read about it many times, but sadly have yet to try it.

Sadly, two more things I have not tried. I need a trip back soon. I have too many things on my must try list!

Oh and before I go a certain little girl is looking over my shoulder and wanted to share this message....

:banana::cheer2::cake:::MinnieMo::MickeyMo::MinnieMo::MickeyMo:dumbo::goofy:
Tell her hello from the great white north! (although there's been rain lately so looking a bit less white these days)

So if you are going in November, does that mean we finally get to meet? My husband is running that challenge! I'm running the 10K. Outside of that, we're planning on eating lots in EPCOT! We're there 11/2 to 11/6 at Boardwalk Villas.

Looks like a great final breakfast!
Looks like we may just be able to :-) Jason is doing the challenge too and of course we plan on lots of F&W. Have you all done the post-race party before? Jason seemed interested in doing it, but i"m not sure how much energy one would have left at night after running a 1/2 marathon in the morning.

Been a little behind on your DR but am catching up!! BTW, we'll be there for F&W, running the Fall Feast 5k. If you're around we should meet up! Our date are Oct 30-Nov 4th. I am also thinking of extending another night. :)
We most definitely should meet up!!! We'll get down sometime on the 3rd and are staying until the 11th. Jason is doing the 10K and 1/2 marathon so we have to get down there on Friday for him to register.

Great report! Love all the pics!! No fall trip planned for us :( but thinking about a Disney cruise.....we shall see.
Thanks! We've considered a cruise a few times now, but haven't bit the bullet. We've only done 1 cruise (non-Disney) and my bar bill at the end has me rethinking if we'll ever do another one :-)

Another amazing report!
I've never tried Kona's breakfast. Given how people love it, that's kind of tragical (like the Express).
Love Casey's message. She can really rock those emojis. Maybe after November's trip, she might write a segment for you! :thumbsup2
Thank you! Not trying Kona breakfast is most definitely tragical. You must remedy that!

Love the idea of getting Casey to write a segment. She's doing great reading, so doing a segment of the report may just be in the cards by then.

Oh my gosh, this cracked me up...where on earth did you find that random J-shaped cake picture? LOL

Looks like a great ending to a great trip! And yes, by all means, get the next report going! Was that your AKL stay? Curious to hear what you thought.
I just googled letter J cake and voila there she was :-)

Yep this last trip was AKL and we loved it. I haven't gone through the pictures yet, but hopefully I can get that done this weekend.

Just wanted to tell you that I love your trip reports!!! Looking forward to more!
Thank you so much!!! Glad you are enjoying reading them. I know I enjoyed eating it!

The pictures you found are perfect! I almost peed myself. Which is getting easier to do the older I get
Funny I did have "pressed pot" written down in my notes (aka the coffee) but you can fathom the picture I wanted to use. Figure they'd kick me off if I showed any sort of green spice like substance :-)

With ya sister on the getting older bit. I always joke my bladder has never quite recovered from pregnancy and child birth.
pixiedust: And here's a few princesses just for you princess:princess:princess: because I cannot wait to see pictures of the fireworks-spouting headboard in your room ;) :rotfl2:
pirate:

Genius, photo-rendition of your notes!! That final TR was brilliant (as always!).
Thanks so much!

Looks like a great last day, Kona is on our breakfast list for August, I think last day is a great idea for it. Sounds like a fun trip will be had in November!
Yeah, this was our 3rd or 4th trip with our last meal at Kona. If you're willing to overlook the service we know its always going to be good! Are you staying at the Poly this August?

Awesome! Have you been to POR before? Our last trip we stayed in a Royal room there. It's a nice resort and the room is fun. I'm sure Casey will like it.
We haven't stayed at POR, but did do POFQ one time. Funny story though (for everyone except our very patient travel agent) we switched this morning to CBR. The room was cheaper to begin with and with all the construction they are offering $75 gift cards for each night of the stay. Couldn't forgo that kind of cash, so we traded the princesses in for some pirates pirate:

Tell her hello from the great white north! (although there's been rain lately so looking a bit less white these days)
I'm sure you all have seen more snow than us. We got crushed last year (or at least crushed for DC) but no more than a trace this year. Some potential this weekend, but we'll see. Casey is not happy about it, so maybe we'll just send her and the dogs up your way

Hi!! :wave: I've been away for a while but I'm back and trying to catch up on TRs.

And did I mention we love food? I mean not just like food, but deep, longing, we may even kiss it kind of love.

And less I forget our dear friend alcohol, who as always will play a prominent role in our vacation.

:rotfl:

Needless to say it was a great 11 days and I hope you enjoy reading about it as much as we enjoyed eating, drinking, and down right conquering Disney!

So excited to read more and catch up!

95db51de-2405-494a-adcf-4326ead296f3.jpg

Such a cute picture :goodvibes

Before I get to the last day of this trip, I have some good news to share. We hadn't planned on heading back to Disney until next February, but when I realized that Casey conveniently has a school break at the same time as the Wine and Dine Half Marathon the stars seemed to align for a November trip. Thanks to some magic from @ariane37 we were able to score a good rate at POR, so we're all set. Now of course I want nothing to do with the aforementioned marathon, but Jason running means food and wine for me, the world for Casey and everyone is happy :-)

YAAAY! When? I'll be there 11/9-11/13 with my mama. As of right now. Unless she bails on me then it'll be my trusty sidekick Justin.

And we're here

And we're really excited

Yay!! So much excitement!! You're having so much fun already. I want to go with you guys!

The room was great though it was closer to Grand Floridian than it was to the Transportation Center.

Oh wow! Closer to the GF!? But the room is gorgeous so there's that :)

Walks to get to the monorail for Ep-A-Cot were LONG (especially because Casey was sans stroller for the first time ever) But check out our view!!!!

It looks like you could just jump out the window and hitch a ride!

Casey's grown so much! And how lucky she has a restaurant named for her ;)

I want these. Now please.

After all those people she finally let us adults get a few rides in, including my beloved Pooper. For those just joining us, on our first trip Casey for some reason thought the People Mover was called the Pooper. We never corrected her and to this day, so has no clue it isn't called that. Not sure what were gonna tell her when she can finally read :-)

:rotfl:

After the Popper, Casey was so transfixed on "meeting people" she found some random lady and asked her for a picture.

Oh wait, that's @suse66 who was on her last day of a solo birthday trip!!!!!

OMG for a half a second I believed you. Okay, maybe a whole second :scratchin

Jason decided to go all Revolutionary War on me and channeled his inner Englishman with the Tavern Battered Fish and Chips.

During lunch a manger came over and asked how our meal was and we responded good. She wanted to know what would make it great and I blurted out beer :drinking1. Apparently I was the first person to ever say this (sacrilege) so she had a good laugh over it.

:rotfl:I'm just cracking up through your whole commentary of this meal

Just $137.20 to go!

I have faith you can do it!!! :thumbsup2

Some people clearly needed to chill more than others. :P

:rotfl2: I guess you had the car to yourself?

I need these glasses for everyday life. Please and thank you.

I think this is a preview of my upcoming August trip...

OMG Yum!!!!

but he was a good husband who didn't want to kill his wife with a peanut allergy

I didn't realize you had a peanut allergy! If you don't mind my asking, have you always had it? I've learned in the past year that food allergies definitely suck :sad2:

In case you couldn't tell Kona was a definite disappointment. While the location was convenient, the service was just plain awful, and the sushi didn't even stack up against our local slushi joint.

That's disappointing. I didn't know that they had such a bad reputation for service.

But she didn't care. She was in Jedi Heaven and didn't care who she got to battle, as long as she had a light saber. My only complain is this is uncovered so at 11am on a day with high humidity and temperatures in the mid-90's it was brutal. Couple that with the kids wearing the robes and it was H-O-T!!! I can only fathom what the afternoon kids had to deal with.

Glad she enjoyed it despite the brutal heat!

We were seated quickly, but in a continuation of our theme were seated in the back of the restaurant by the emergency exit.

This certainly is the theme of your trip! Maybe there was a note on your reservation to put you in the back corner :rotfl:

Casey loves all characters, but she was totally mesmerized and smitten with Olaf in a way we'd never seen before.

That is adorable. How was the wait for Olaf? Ryann LOVES him

This looks awesome

We were seated quickly (and to know ones surprise in the back corner of a side room I'd never even noticed before),

No way!! Again!?!?

Casey stuck with good old lemonade but in the tradition of her mother of course was double fisting it.

Nice!

The bone marrow was also utter perfection. For anyone who hasn't had it its kind of like beef flavored butter. It's rich and fatty and silky and sweet and oh just so good. It paired perfectly on the tender brioche.

I don't think I would ever order bone marrow, but the way you're describing it makes it sound good. Maybe I'll try some off your plate when you take me to Disney with you! ;)

And after 5 days in the world, you'll be shocked to learn that our seat was in fact in the back corner of the restaurant right by the emergency exit again.

OMG stop!! Seriously!?!?

Casey is too funny!

Did you make the autograph book on Shutterfly or a similar site? Did you customize the inside pages too?

It was kind of like if a gin and tonic married a mojito and then had an affair with a moscow mule.

This description is amazing. Also, is a Moscow mule a drink or an animal?

Overall, Tiffins was the best meal of our trip and unquestionably the best restaurant inside one of the parks. Amazing food, perfect service, gorgeous atmosphere. Other than their weird pomegranate sauce I have absolutely no complaints. Even better with our tables in Wonderland card we saved $27.40, putting us in the black by $20.

I knew you could do it! ;)

From there we hit a major family milestone and Casey finally decided to brave the Broken Track Roller Coaster (aka Expedition Everest for those not down with the Casey lingo). She's watched this on Youtube for years and finally got the gumption to give it a go. Now this may or may not have been fueled by some slight bribery on our part, but she did it nonetheless and in the dark to boot.

Yay Casey! I can't wait to ride EE in the dark. It's on my list of must-dos for next trip.

Very cool picture

Yay! You guys got to meet up! @ariane37

When I checked in the hostess said you're a party of 2 and I said no 3 and she said oh ok. And that was it. We were taken to a table for all of us.

But were you shoved in a back corner....? If not, maybe you should make all your reservations for only 2 people ;)

Loved your TR. Love that you love Bloody's, so do I especially spicier ones. Funny for some reason every time I fly home from a vacation I have to stop in the airport lounge for at least one bloody:drinking1. I don't know why airports make me crave them but I'm thinking it's my heavy drinking Vegas trips. :confused3.
Anyways I'm so glad that you showed me that we could plan a trip to Dis and not have a ton of advanced ADR's and can play it by ear. Exactly how I'm going to plan our Dec trip.
I hope you do write a TR for your most recent trip, just love living vicariously through you.....I don't end up with a hangover.:rotfl2:Enjoy your Nov. trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter