We’re all going on a Summer Holiday to the Disney Parks -WISH July Lifestyle/Challenge

QOTD: How are you with your general water intake? Given that you have just had a celebration long weekend ... did you indulge in some cocktails with friends? Have you cut back purposefully on alcohol in an effort to cut calories or found new alternatives? Are there other drinks in there that aren't helping you e.g. soft drinks, sports drinks etc?

Bonus Question: New is Disney is changing the Auction scene to a more PC version .... what do you think of this change to a favourite ride?

I'm pretty good on my water. We have an RO machine at work and I have one at home, so I am constantly refilling my big cup with water. I do indulge in a fair few cocktails, but consumption has decreased immensely these past 6 months. Twofold -- I don't want the calories, and secondly, I want to feel great so I can't excuse myself out of the gym. I've never been big on soda or other beverages so that's not a problem for me. I do find the La Croix waters help me feel like I'm getting a nice treat when everyone else is having cocktails. Sometimes I use it as a no cal mixer and add a little lime or other fruits to it. It's nice and keeps me out of the tonic water!

As for POTC - I really don't see what the hullabaloo is all about. I wonder too if they were getting complaints, but I don't see it as a necessary change. I'd rather see that money spent to spruce up other things that really need some help!

QOTD: Is your self talk helping you focus and believe in yourself like Lightning's .... or is it making you fall behind and lose the race?

Bonus Question: Have you ridden Radiator Springs Racers?

Interesting question... I would like to think it's helping me, but I see situations where it could be better. Recently, as I see my body changing with my workouts, I tell myself how strong I am and how much improvement as been made and that is a great motivator. But currently I am not too good. Having not been to the gym in 2 weeks, I am starting to feel like I am loosing it. I have to stop myself from thinking I've completely reverted.

LOVED Radiator Springs Racers! We rode it twice, and could have gone more and more had the lines not been crazy LOL! DH is a huge Cars fan (like the ONE Disney thing I don't have to pull his teeth to do!), so it was awesome seeing him really Disney-out in Cars land!

Yesterday was Woohoo Wednesday

Glad somebody remembered! lol - if you are feeling woohoo give us your belated woohoos for the week :thumbsup2

I have decided to approach a new milestone with positivity - I got my eyes tested this week and I need reading glasses - so I will woohoo that next week I will be able to read without holding things at the end of my arms or it being a little blurry anymore!

QOTD: How are you with your general water intake? Given that you have just had a celebration long weekend ... did you indulge in some cocktails with friends? Have you cut back purposefully on alcohol in an effort to cut calories or found new alternatives? Are there other drinks in there that aren't helping you e.g. soft drinks, sports drinks etc?
I am pretty good about water, I aim for 8 cups a day and usually get pretty close. I don't really drink alchol all that much because it get expensive and I don't need the calories. I have also cut out soda and sweet tea because I can't stop at just one and it is a recipe for disaster.

Bonus Question: New is Disney is changing the Auction scene to a more PC version .... what do you think of this change to a favourite ride?
I don't like the change and I agree with @4HOLIDAYS someone is always going to be offended.

QOTD: Is your self talk helping you focus and believe in yourself like Lightning's .... or is it making you fall behind and lose the race?
I bounce around, sometimes it helps me focus but other times I get down on myself and think I am never going to change. During my races I have started to chant mantras or tell myself other postive messages and it really makes a difference. My favorite line is- When you're fighting a gorilla, you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is. It sound silly but it's the perfect motivation during the last couple of miles when I want to stop but it reminds me I can't give up until the finish line.

Have you ridden Radiator Springs Racers?
YES! I love that ride!

Happy Friday everyone :yay:

One of my absolute favourite meet and greets is with Tigger - he is just so playful, fit and full of energy.

upload_2017-7-7_20-25-1.jpeg
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), physical fitness is defined as 'the ability to carry out daily tasks with vigor and alertness, without undue fatigue, and with ample energy to enjoy leisure-time pursuits and respond to emergencies.' Based on this definition, fitness involves everything from getting out of bed to hiking to performing CPR (http://study.com/academy/lesson/what-is-fitness-definition-components-types-examples.html) - there are components of fitness which are also explored at this site but for me this quote really hits the mark as it talks about having the ability to do the things we need and want to do each day.

QOTD: Are you as fit as Tigger ... or is this an area you are working on? For those of you who have improved it ... share your experience in how long it took for you to really notice a change in your everyday life as a result of your hard work.

QOTD: Are you as fit as Tigger ... or is this an area you are working on? For those of you who have improved it ... share your experience in how long it took for you to really notice a change in your everyday life as a result of your hard work.

Okay I confess today's QOTD was inspired by my experiences today - We had a big day in Brisbane which mean lots of time walking around - so the slower walking on flat ground - all good - but put me on an incline or steps and boy do I struggle. Also - had a turn on one of those Dance games with the kids at the games arcade - first turn not so bad but was basically standing there just moving my legs - next turn was a more upbeat song which required faster movements and some jumps - and guess who couldn't even finish it?! I am on the verge of getting quite upset because really I am just at my biggest ever - photos were taken today - in which I hate how I looked - combined with just this general feeling of being so unfit and unhealthy. You know honestly the picture of me in my head just soooo does not match the reality - when I caught glimpses of myself in fuller length mirrors or an unflattering photo - I just thought who is that? Because in my mind I am not that big - but I am. I know I am in the right place to keep my head in game with you all and that you understand how I feel. The good thing about today was I got in over 12,000 steps!

Happy Friday everyone :yay:

One of my absolute favourite meet and greets is with Tigger - he is just so playful, fit and full of energy.

View attachment 249407
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), physical fitness is defined as 'the ability to carry out daily tasks with vigor and alertness, without undue fatigue, and with ample energy to enjoy leisure-time pursuits and respond to emergencies.' Based on this definition, fitness involves everything from getting out of bed to hiking to performing CPR (http://study.com/academy/lesson/what-is-fitness-definition-components-types-examples.html) - there are components of fitness which are also explored at this site but for me this quote really hits the mark as it talks about having the ability to do the things we need and want to do each day.

I am not fit like tigger. I would like to be. I am good with walking but anything with high energy I get tired quickly.

QOTD: Lack of fitness is a really big deal for me. I'm also huffing and puffing with any type of incline. It was really humiliating to have the yoga teacher try to make special accommodations for me, which she should be doing, its just me having to face the fact that I don't have the range of motion and flexibility that I think I have. And its a double whammy because in addition to feeling chubby it makes me feel old, so this is a real sore spot with me and a big motivator.

First day of eating differently is in the bag and overall it went well. We did go out for drinks after work so there was that (my cocktail had blackberries in it so that counts as a fruit serving, right?) and I got home late so dinner was pretty much just cherries, which are supper yummy in season right now. It wasn't the most nutritionally well rounded day but there was no Starbucks or dairy and very little gluten, so I'll count it as mission accomplished.

No big plans for the weekend: Saturday will depend on the delivery window for the new mattress but there's plenty to be done around the house while I wait so that'll work out fine. I'm still working on clearing out the kitchen, but have made progress. Sunday is wide open so I'd like to do something different than running errands and going out to eat.

Hope everyone has a happy and healthful weekend end - yah summer!

QOTD: Working out has always been an on/off relationship for me. For about the past 6 months it's been on and I've been pretty good about either getting at least 10,000 steps a day or a 30 minute workout about 5-6 days per week (on my really good days I get both!). I've seen a major change in a few things. One of the biggest is at work. I work as an engineer in a manufacturing facility and I give a lot of tours. Let me tell you- it feels amazing to hike up three flights of stairs and still have the breath to give a speech about what's going on in the process. A year ago I couldn't do that.

Another way I've noticed an improvement is at rehearsals. I'm one of the dancers in the show so I'm doing extra choreography and still have to sing with the ensemble. It's not Beyonce level quality but I'm able to keep up.

Don't get me wrong, I still loathe exercising and if there were a way to stay fit and never have to exercise again I would be on that like Donkey Kong. But it's these little victories that make me realize that it's worth it. I think about having kids some day and I want to have the energy and fitness level to keep up with them.

This is THE area I am working on and the one I am seeing the most improvement with. I loathe exercise too @dolewhipdreams! However, I am seeing changes that make me keep going.

I work at DH's family paint shop. I do a lot of office work so I rarely carry anything, but a 5 gallon bucket was a joke to even think about. They weigh about 55 lbs and up depending on the product. I picked up my first one after about 4 months of exercising and it felt like a national holiday.

Another thing that makes me happy with my changes is my energy level. I don't need naps as much, and when my teenager cousins ask me to play volleyball with them, I have the energy to. I used to just feel like a slug all the time.

I like your gorilla mantra, @MommaoffherRocker! I'm going to be thinking that to myself too!

My favorite line is- When you're fighting a gorilla, you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is. It sound silly but it's the perfect motivation during the last couple of miles when I want to stop but it reminds me I can't give up until the finish line.

That is great - whatever motivates you to keep going - and it really speaks to how so many of us give in at the first signs of tiredness - I really like how it addresses that and helps you push through.

First day of eating differently is in the bag and overall it went well. We did go out for drinks after work so there was that (my cocktail had blackberries in it so that counts as a fruit serving, right?) and I got home late so dinner was pretty much just cherries, which are supper yummy in season right now. It wasn't the most nutritionally well rounded day but there was no Starbucks or dairy and very little gluten, so I'll count it as mission accomplished.

Sounds like a good start to me - we have to remember that eating is part of our life and so is the drinks and the need to make connections with friends, co-workers etc and sometimes that happens over drinks - so we just need to find ways that work to balance it all out.

No big plans for the weekend: Saturday will depend on the delivery window for the new mattress but there's plenty to be done around the house while I wait so that'll work out fine. I'm still working on clearing out the kitchen, but have made progress. Sunday is wide open so I'd like to do something different than running errands and going out to eat.

How exciting - the new mattress! I also get what you mean about wanting a day that isn't about the usual routine and catching up in between the work week :-)

And its a double whammy because in addition to feeling chubby it makes me feel old, so this is a real sore spot with me and a big motivator.

Yes I hear you on this - because so many of us are dealing with a range of complex issues that are all rolled in there on our healthy journey - the chubbiness just multiplies the feelings of so many things.

Let me tell you- it feels amazing to hike up three flights of stairs and still have the breath to give a speech about what's going on in the process. A year ago I couldn't do that.

Another way I've noticed an improvement is at rehearsals. I'm one of the dancers in the show so I'm doing extra choreography and still have to sing with the ensemble. It's not Beyonce level quality but I'm able to keep up.

Don't get me wrong, I still loathe exercising and if there were a way to stay fit and never have to exercise again I would be on that like Donkey Kong. But it's these little victories that make me realize that it's worth it. I think about having kids some day and I want to have the energy and fitness level to keep up with them.

They are some great improvements - 3 flights of stairs and I would be ready to sit down! The best part is your examples of how it benefits your everyday life. You are inspiring me to push myself to get off the couch!

I work at DH's family paint shop. I do a lot of office work so I rarely carry anything, but a 5 gallon bucket was a joke to even think about. They weigh about 55 lbs and up depending on the product. I picked up my first one after about 4 months of exercising and it felt like a national holiday.

Another thing that makes me happy with my changes is my energy level. I don't need naps as much, and when my teenager cousins ask me to play volleyball with them, I have the energy to. I used to just feel like a slug all the time.

Some of those paint cans are huge! So that is awesome that you are now able to lift it :-) You have been working very hard on this goal - so I am so happy for you that you are noticing the improvements :banana::banana:.

QOTD: While we are waiting for the CMs to open for the day let’s get to know each other – introduce yourselves and tell us about your goal for the month.

Hi I am Tammy a 44 year old mama of 2 girls ages 12 and 9 from the great state of Montana. I know your all dying to know if I felt the earthquake and yes I did. I was sitting in my overstuffed chair and it felt like it was vibrating and even sounded like there was a vibrator put under it. I just thought that's weird until I heard the news later. Nothing moved in my house. My goal this month is to exercise at least 400 minutes. Since I did not keep track the first week though I did do some walking to the dining hall from the lodge, a couple of blocks to and from the car when the place we had originally planned to eat on Sunday Night was a 30-40 minute wait and we ended up walking down to see if we could get in some where else. We did and I had a lovely chicken sandwich with rings, DH had a burger with rings, 12 year old a burger with kettle chips, 9 year old an individual custom pizza, and mother and father in law split a chicken sandwich with sweet potato tots, and I walked .6 mile according to google maps from where we parked to where we ended up sitting to watch the parade in Red Lodge on the 4th and back to the truck. What can get in my way is the weather being too hot, or there being a thunderstorm, the house being a mess so walking in there is hard, finding time with DH's work and sleep schedule to go to the gym to hit the pool, and lastly my knee as 9 year old decided to about knock me down in Childrens place the end of June and I am still having trouble with my knee-having to land on it getting out of the bed at the lodge did not help matters any so I didn't stay off it right away like I should have.

Bonus QOTD: Are you an early starter rope drop person when you are at the parks? Similarly are you an early starter in your every day life? Does this help you fit in exercise or a healthy breakfast?

No at least not on the only trip I have done that was not a day trip unless my mom was saying we are going to be there when park opened. I managed to make rope drop 2 of the days-animal kingdom and one of the Epcot days. Personally I am more of an evening extra magic hours person than a morning one. Depends on what you determine as early I tend to be awake and moving most days between 9 and 9:30 in the morning where the rest of my household doesn't get up until 10:30-11 unless there is a reason. My dad thinks that is sleeping all day though he does make an exception for my DH because he gets off work usually between 1 and 2 am so not too much is said about his sleeping till noon. I tend to stay some what awake most nights until DH is home so even though I sit down and put my feet up a few hours before I don't really sleep until later. Being up before my family does help me get a healthy breakfast in provided I have clean dishes which are on my list of things to work on tomorrow as DH and 12 year old are going fishing with Father in law for the day. I also tend to get bored with the same old things so I do need to watch that as I wont eat and I am not too good about eating when it is hot. Exercise I tend to do that more in the evenings unless I can get to the pool so it is usually after I either have 9 year old occupied in the tub or in bed that I get my exercise time.

what is your go to shoe for the parks? Are you all about comfort/practicality or do you like to be stylish? What about your workout shoes - again are you all about the function or do love a good splash of colour/design on them?

I tend to wear a a simple walking shoe that I get at Payless usually a Champion Brand just about everywhere. My last 2 pairs were black with pink trim and my current is a darker purple around the heal fading to a lavender into a white into the toe with a neon pink trim. This is a brand that I know fits me well and is within my budget. I do not wear other foot wear if I can help it with the exception of an old pair of crocks around the house usually when I know I am going to be sitting right back down and putting my feet up because well shoes on the furniture drives me nuts and it's too much work to take tied shoes on and off. I wear a pair of low hiking boots when the snow is too deep to use my walking shoes and trust me DH hears about how he needs to get the drive shoveled or I need a new pair ( seriously I do because they are only 15 years old but we have had enough really mild winters that other than the fact that the insole piece came out of them and I need to figure something out they are not in bad shape so I might just get some custom dr scholls insoles or at least some gel ones and call it good for another couple of years unless of course I find a nice pair of actual women's winter boots that have some traction-what is it with winter footwear that has no traction-hello people can we all say ice is slippery. I just want footwear that is warm and won't land me on the ice and to not be judged for wearing a carhart jacket everywhere all winter long instead of a long past my rear dress coat that I freeze in and when I sit down I feel like it is chocking me and don't get me started on the hood as I have it in my eyes unless I can figure out how to tease my hair to add at least 6 inches of big 80s hair style volume out and up.

Bonus QOTD: Tell us your favourite shop or memory of Main Street USA

I really haven't explored much of the shops of Main Street USA though I did get a nice book about Disneyland back in 95 which I believe is in a storage tote somewhere in my basement.

Let’s keep it simple today - How are you celebrating?

We celebrated by being with extended family at a family reunion. My DH's Father's Mother's siblings families and a couple more distant relatives who have found us and have joined the last few years. We got to meet the son of one of my father in law's cousins who was placed for adoption at birth and he was able to find him ( the son did the searching) after all these years. Get this newly found family member is a triathalon participant and has placed really well at some big meets. The original plan was to have a float in the parade but that was scraped due to the heat and there is no cover for it-not a good idea for the elderly crowd plus we hadn't gotten the decorating done by the night of the 3rd and that night we had a storm so it would have all been gone or destroyed. Wandered into the town of Red Lodge watched the parade, came back to the place we all were staying, hung out in the lodge, ate the lunch we had packed, got on the computer of a bit, went to the famous family auction where I got a pan pipe, a huge glass fish, and some home made american girl doll clothes ( either a birthday or Christmas gift for 9 year old). Had a pulled pork dinner and we were supposed to have dancing down by the creek but instead had smores and visiting around the campfire and watched some fireworks we could see between the trees in the distance.

I know many of you get the visit the parks regularly – do you still enjoy the fireworks or do you use that time for riding with lower crowds? Does is evoke any special memories for you?

I tend to enjoy fireworks more from a distance as I hate crowds and dealing with a couple of kids who freak out one due to the crowds the other the noise of them that we tend to watch more from our house for our local ones. I enjoyed both times I saw illuminations on my trip in 10 but really liked the ones we were able to watch in Tokyo Dining in our seats by the window sipping tea and having dessert with lights turned down and the music piped in. I also was able to catch one of them at least the high stuff from the smaller pool in Jamacia at CBR sitting on the right side of the pool from the laundry area with my back to the laundry building and they were to my left a little bit. Since Fantasmic was that night those might have been it. We saw wishes through the windows of CRT. The other ones I remember seeing were the Christmas time ones at Disneyland back in 87 and I think we saw the regular ones back in 95

My general water intake is fairly good though it could use some improvement. I don't drink adult beverages for religious reasons though I did taste some in my home growing up and honestly didn't care for the taste. I do occasionally have a soda or a coffee drink but most of the time it is water.

Looking at it from a historical context I don't like it. I think that people need to quite getting their fewlings hurt over historical issues and expecting people to change history so that they are not hurt. Guess what women were sold into slavery back then and many of this was done by pirates who attacked other vessels in particular the ones they thought they could get money from.

This one I tend to go back and forth on
Bonus Question: Have you ridden Radiator Springs Racers?

Nope haven't been since 95

I guess I am pretty fit. My issue now is I need to improve on total body fitness. Running is great for cardio but I really need to strength train too. As far as a change I feel like I haven't really had too much of a change, that is why I went to the doc to see if I am missing something.

Hello @sweetpeama welcome back - Glad to hear nothing was broken in your house by the earthquake - we had a small one and an aftershock here last year I think it was - very unusual for our area - both times I did not feel anything at all :confused3 . Great goal for the month - I am sure you will achieve it :-)

Aaaahhh the weekend and the end of our first week of July - what a week its been!

Mater switches places with his best friend Lightning for meet and greet in Radiator Springs. Mater's slow pace matches my feeling this weekend! Mater has a unique view on life that can really make you think...

So with this Mater quote in mind, where have you been this week? How are you going with your goals, what is working for you and what do you need to think about to help you feel successful this month?

Mater's Junkyard Jamboree is a deceptive ride ... it looks so simple and for young ones ... but it is SO much fun for all ages!
Have you ridden it or are you looking forward to riding it?
Do you have something FUN planned for the weekend?

where have you been this week? How are you going with your goals, what is working for you and what do you need to think about to help you feel successful this month?

Needing to increase my water and get in some exercise. My feet have been so swollen that I have marks from my crocks making patterns on my feet. I had planned to do some house cleaning today while DH and 12 year old were off fishing with Father in Law. Due to the heat they decided to wait and try again next weekend. I get upset at my family not helping me with cleaning the house that I don't do anything myself and I ended up taking a nap which on one hand is better than drinking a cola to keep myself awake. I have it worked out that I just let my DH know I am heading out and make sure that 12 year old is awake to listen for 9 year old that I can start going into one of 3 pools available with my fitness plan depending on the exact time as to which one I will head to. This should help me successful in my goal for the month and my overall goal to loose weight.

So with this Mater quote in mind, where have you been this week? How are you going with your goals, what is working for you and what do you need to think about to help you feel successful this month?

So this week there has still been a little takeout - but it has been more thoughtful and kind of essential e.g. on the day out in Brisbane. What will help me going forward is that I have completed a meal plan until the end of July and have just returned from a Costco trip where I pretty much have all the meat needed for all of the dinners - just have to get some chicken breast as it was cheaper at the local supermarket. So each week I just have to grab whatever vegies etc are needed for the meals. Activity has dropped a little I was way too tired yesterday - still recovering from the huge day in Brisbane.

Mater's Junkyard Jamboree is a deceptive ride ... it looks so simple and for young ones ... but it is SO much fun for all ages!
Have you ridden it or are you looking forward to riding it?
Do you have something FUN planned for the weekend?

Yes we rode this ride several times it was a family favourite :D - nothing fun this weekend - shopping and prepping for back to school/work tomorrow after 2 weeks off - that is never fun o_O

Back in Dublin joining little late this month. I feel jet lagged and tired after 21 hour trip door to door.

I seriously underestimated the challenge that moving from one place to another adds to the picture. When you add that a 5 year old had a say at our choice of dinning on many nights, and we were travelling with others ... I am not going anywhere near the scale this week

My goal is to go back on tracking and eating a lot more veggies and fruit and exercising

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter