WDW pro but NEVER gone on cruise!!

BraveLittleToaster2

DIS Veteran
I am completely new to the idea of a cruise period, let alone a Disney cruise. I was thinking of planning one for my family. I LOVe planning Disney vacations but am new to this.

It seems that food is included in the price and the restaurants change around every night. Do you have to eat in the restaurants every night or are their counter service places? Are snacks for the kids included throughout the day? What activities are there for kids who don't like water slides? Do you fly to the cruise starting point and the. Fly home after getting off or roll it into a Disney vacation? What is there to do off the ship when you get to ports? I tend to get seasick but am willing to try cruises with some medication so I can at least give it a whirl.

Is their character dining? Do I need to book things ahead of time, shows etc? Or is there always room to just see the shows I want at the times I want?

Pretty much I'm a complete newbie, give me any and all info you have!!!

My kids are 13, 10, and 4 if that helps!

I am completely new to the idea of a cruise period, let alone a Disney cruise. I was thinking of planning one for my family. I LOVe planning Disney vacations but am new to this.

It seems that food is included in the price and the restaurants change around every night. Do you have to eat in the restaurants every night or are their counter service places? Are snacks for the kids included throughout the day? What activities are there for kids who don't like water slides? Do you fly to the cruise starting point and the. Fly home after getting off or roll it into a Disney vacation? What is there to do off the ship when you get to ports? I tend to get seasick but am willing to try cruises with some medication so I can at least give it a whirl.

Is their character dining? Do I need to book things ahead of time, shows etc? Or is there always room to just see the shows I want at the times I want?

Pretty much I'm a complete newbie, give me any and all info you have!!!

My kids are 13, 10, and 4 if that helps!
You are assigned to a specific rotation through the 3 Main Dining Rooms each evening. You'll have the same table number and same servers every night (they "rotate" with you), but the actual room will be different. You certainly don't have to go to the MDR every night, but I'd suggest, as a first time cruiser, you may want to for the experience. Each room is themed differently and has different menus.

There are quick serve locations (hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza, sandwiches, salads) poolside. There is also a buffet available for breakfast & lunch. At dinnertime the buffet area becomes a sit-down restaurant serving selected items from the other dining room's menus that evening.

What sort of snacks are you looking for?

The kid's clubs are quite popular, with many activities. You can look at past Navigators (daily activity sheet) for an idea of what sorts of activities are offered here: http://disneycruiselineblog.com/personal-navigators/

Most people fly into and out of the embarkation port (or as close as they can). Some do so a few days before (to add WDW days), others fly in the day of embarkation. Depends what sort of vacation you want to set up.

All ports have excursions offered through DCL. Or you can book private excursions yourself by searching for them online. All kinds - from active (ziplines/horseback riding) to quieter ones (walking tours/bus tours). For many interests (history/food/water activities/etc).

Be sure to check with your doctor for appropriate medication. Just be aware that being on a large cruise ship is nothing like being on a smaller (fishing/ferry) type boat and often less motion involved.

There is a character breakfast offered on 7 night and longer cruises, as well as a Frozen Meet & Greet, and a Princess Gathering you can book ahead. All other meet & greets are just lined up for once onboard the ship.

The main production shows, as well as the individual entertainers have a set time for shows. You can go to as many (or none) of them as you wish. Often the same shows are repeated on the longer cruises.

Kid's clubs - your 13 year old would be in Edge, while the 4 & 10 year old are in Oceaneer's Club/Lab. They can attend those, or not, as they/you wish.

Last edited:
You are seated with other families at meals, correct? How many people per table?

That is the traditional cruise model. Many people request their own table - it is only a request, but they will try to accommodate you. Keep in mind that even with your own table the others are thisclose so it's not like it'll be super private.

As far as sizes, I've seen everything from a 2-top up to about 14.

You are seated with other families at meals, correct? How many people per table?
As noted table size vary. But the standard set up for each serving team is a 4 top, a 6 top and an 8 top. I'm not sure if there's just 4 of you, or more. As a party of 4 you may be assigned to your own 4 top, or, possibly an 8 top with another family.

What things do cost money? I assume we need to tip? Do the newer ships that are larger feel a lot more crowded as far as waiting for things and pools etc?

We are a family of 5.
Well, as a group of 5, you'll most likely be assigned to a 6 top by yourselves. BUT, my experience, as a party of 5 we had our own table, as a party of 3 we were assigned to an 8 top with a family of 5. So you never know.

If you wish, you can request to be seated at your own table. Or you can request to be seated with others. Or you can just take your chances and let DCL assign you as they need to.

As noted there are larger tables (10 or more) typically set up by putting the smaller tables together.

What things do cost money? I assume we need to tip? Do the newer ships that are larger feel a lot more crowded as far as waiting for things and pools etc?
A little old, but fairly complete: https://www.disboards.com/threads/gratuities-and-extra-costs.3225138/

Gratutities are $12.00 per guest (each person on your reservation is a guest) per night. That $12.00 breaks out to $4.00 per guest per night to your room host; $4.00 per guest per night to your dining room server; $3.00 per guest per night to your assistant server; and $1.00 per guest per night to your head server. The gratuities are added to your onboard account automatically, and at the end of the cruise you gratuity coupons and envelopes to hand out the last day.

Any purchased drinks have a 15% auto gratuity. Spa services have an 18% auto gratuity.

Yes, the newer ships are bigger, and the pools are basically the same size as the ones on the smaller ships. On sea days the pool areas are quite crowded. Not really much a wait for, say, a lounger, as long as you are willing to not have one right at the pool's edge.

1. Yes, you need to tip. Tipping is for your room steward, your wait staff, and DCL will recommend a daily amount. You also need to tip room service. Most room service is included, but the delivery human should be tipped.

2. Alcohol, specialty restaurants and specialty ice cream, as well as certain specialty non-alcoholic beverages will cost $. You can have a lovely cruise without ever spending cash on any of these things.

3. Excursions cost money. You can also do your own thing in port, but that will often cost money as well, so it's just how you choose to roll your planning.

4. Important detail: Getting from airport to port costs money. There is no free Magical Express as there is from MCO to WDW. Even from MCO to Port Canaveral, those buses have a fee.

Trust me: you want to visit every dining room from the rotational dining. They are so pretty and fun!

Thanks for all the help!

I'm hoping I won't have motion sickness problems, but you never know. I get car sick on long drives, and fishing boats and kayaks in the ocean make me very sick. Though the Disney boats used as transport at resorts have never bothered me!

I was interested in the cruises out of NYC because I could drive there and they have marvel cruises which would interest my kids, but they seem to cruise to Canada and cooler places, yet the dates are in fall when it's no longer hot out. Has anyone ever not been able to swim on a cruise due to weather? How long should our first cruise be? Anyone ever done one out of NYC before??

Thanks for all the help!

I was interested in the cruises out of NYC because I could drive there and they have marvel cruises which would interest my kids, but they seem to cruise to Canada and cooler places, yet the dates are in fall when it's no longer hot out. Has anyone ever not been able to swim on a cruise due to weather? How long should our first cruise be? Anyone ever done one out of NYC before??

The longer the cruise, the more time to relax. We cruise for at least a week at a time, preferably longer.

Yes, Canadian cruises are cooler in the fall, but people swim even on Alaskan cruises. We've cruised out of NYC and it's kinda fun to sail past the Statue of Liberty. I do wish this year's Canadian cruise was earlier in October so passengers could enjoy the fall foliage. You might get in on the tail end of leaf-peeper season, but Canadian's prime leaf-peeping is closer to Columbus Day.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help!

I'm hoping I won't have motion sickness problems, but you never know. I get car sick on long drives, and fishing boats and kayaks in the ocean make me very sick. Though the Disney boats used as transport at resorts have never bothered me!

When the air temp is below 75F they heat the pools. DD12 and I went in the pool on the Alaskan cruise with air temp around 58F. Very warm pool! The worst part is getting out...so we went straight into the hot tub next, and then felt fine when we got out of that! They do have a couple of cruises out of NYC that do a roundtrip to the Bahamas with a day stop at Port Canaveral with a Disney day trip included. If you click NY as the departure port on the Disney cruise website you'll see all the NYC cruises.

Seasickness--we did our first cruise last summer, to Alaska. I felt a little queasy the first day once the ship started moving, lasted until dinner time. I was fine after dinner (some food in my stomach and ginger ale settled my stomach), and fine for the rest of the cruise. DD16 felt queasy any day the ship was actually rocking--so parts of both sea days. We had the Dramamine Naturals--which is pure ginger in capsule form--we ended up adding the ginger powder to a bottle of water for her the first day (she can't swallow pills) and sipping it made her feel better. I went down the health services the next day--and there is a bin there with samples of meclizine (generic Bonine). You can take 1 pack/person...there are 4 of us in the room, so I took 4. Gave them to DD16 whenever she felt bad during the trip, and it worked well for her. I'm planning to buy some chewable Bonine to take with us next cruise, so she'll be all set, and maybe I'll take 1 the first day.

I think the Magic also goes to the Bahamas out of New York. But again, it's in the fall.

As for snacks, most things are included in your fare, including pop from the soda fountain, counter service burgers, pizzas, etc and most things on the room service menu. Movie snacks, such as popcorn and canned pop cost, but then the movies are free, too.

Food/Drink:

Main Dining Rooms: You either have main dining (5:45PM) or second seating (8:15PM)...and you can go to the theater show during the other seating. You rotate between 3 dining rooms with your servers over the course of your trip. You will never repeat the same menu twice. The restaurant Animator's Palate has a 'show' in it. You can order as much food as you want--soup, salad, appetizers, entrée, desserts, etc. The only extra charge is for smoothies and alcoholic drinks. Also, the servers might do magic tricks or origami for the kids. Our server cut DD12's salad for her. We saw him cut the steak for a girl at a table next to us.

Room Service: most items are free, you just need to tip the delivery person. Not listed on the room service menu is Mickey Ice Cream bars that you can get for free! Room service for breakfast is a paper sheet you fill out and hang on your door before you go to sleep the night before. We used this as a wake up call and to eat breakfast while getting ready on an early port day. We had all kinds of pastries, fruit salad, coffee, milk, juice, cereal.

Cove Café (age 18+): you have to pay for coffee there...but the snacks are FREE. DH and I only went to get the free snacks and brought plates back to our room to share with the kids.

Beverage station: free fountain drinks (soda, lemonade, iced tea, water), coffee, cocoa, milk, tea bags/hot water, etc. All Free, up on the pool deck. Free beverages in Cabanas Buffet area during mealtimes--in addition to the above items it includes juices like OJ, apple, cranberry.

FREE soft serve ice cream up on the pool deck! DD12 LOVED this. On a longer cruises, some days they'll change out the flavors of 1 set of machines so that it will be 'fruity' flavors--banana, blueberry, strawberry, pineapple coconut--and then your standard vanilla/chocolate.

For breakfast and lunch, there is usually one 'table service' restaurant open, Cabanas buffet, and all the pool area counter service restaurants--all free. Times that they're open are listed on the personal navigator.

You have gotten some great responses already. Please remember everyone on these boards were in your shoes the first time. We have all been 1st Time Cruisers! I found just reading the threads and searching the boards is extremely helpful. I think a 7 night is the way to go the first time, if you can swing it. Then you can do shorter cruises. A week long cruise gives you time to chill, and that is what it's all about!

Good luck with your planning. Cruising is a very relaxing vacation or as busy as you would like it. We enjoy the floating resort feel. There is not anything that is very far away. Waking up to the ocean is an unbelieveable experience.

You have gotten some great responses already. Please remember everyone on these boards were in your shoes the first time. We have all been 1st Time Cruisers! I found just reading the threads and searching the boards is extremely helpful. I think a 7 night is the way to go the first time, if you can swing it. Then you can do shorter cruises. A week long cruise gives you time to chill, and that is what it's all about!

Good luck with your planning. Cruising is a very relaxing vacation or as busy as you would like it. We enjoy the floating resort feel. There is not anything that is very far away. Waking up to the ocean is an unbelieveable experience.
I agree, this thread is a great read! Keep the tips coming!!
I am a frequent WDW vacationer, but have never been on a cruise. I have booked my first one for summer 2018. It will be August, but the ship is going to Iceland, so the temps won't be high. So, thank you all for the tips about cooler temps. I was also looking at the NYC departures. It would be fun to combine that with a New York visit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter