WDW Maid Caught in Sting

People put money in there? Mine is always full of camera lenses. :)

I budget by having separate envelopes for what I need during the trip. I have envelopes for taxis, housekeeping, another generic tip envelope, ADRs, and so on. I could charge all of that, but the cash keeps me from going crazy and buying everything I see.

Since it was a DVC resort, it's in a different category---- There is only maid service on the fourth day-- so she most likely shouldn't even be in the rooms...
And as far as a tip-- doesn't that get left when you check out? Do some of you tip in the middle of your stay?

Since it was a DVC resort, it's in a different category---- There is only maid service on the fourth day-- so she most likely shouldn't even be in the rooms...
And as far as a tip-- doesn't that get left when you check out? Do some of you tip in the middle of your stay?

I leave a tip for the house keeper everyday. There is usually a little card with the house keepers name on it. I place the tip on this card and leave in front of the sink.

We usually stay 10-14 nights and it's not always the same mouse keeper the entire stay so tipping at the end of the trip wouldn't work. Also if there is a touch better service for those who tip they wouldn't know you are going to tip until you're gone.

I leave a tip for the house keeper everyday. There is usually a little card with the house keepers name on it. I place the tip on this card and leave in front of the sink.

We usually stay 10-14 nights and it's not always the same mouse keeper the entire stay so tipping at the end of the trip wouldn't work. Also if there is a touch better service for those who tip they wouldn't know you are going to tip until you're gone.

Oh-- we never stay more than 5 nights-- most of the time 3. Since we are at DVC resorts, we never see a maid. So they should never be in our rooms unless we have checked out.

I had jewelry taken from my room at the Poly. Had the sheriff called in because it was over 1,000 with the bag it was in and it was on two separate occasions during a 13 night stay. What was even worse is the staff at the Poly was unapologetic and could have cared less. It was truly a horrifying manner. Not once did I get an "I'm sorry" or let us at least buy you lunch. I was mortified with the lack of understanding and compassion. With that i normally always use the safe for wallets, electronics and medications. I happened to leave the bag out one night as we were in a rush.

We always have drinks and snacks. I doubt I would notice if housekeeping took something!

As far as money and valuables - I've never had anything stolen from me at any hotel and I'm not particularly careful. It goes to show that it must be pretty rare.
Strangely it seems to be feminine hygiene products taken when I travel. I guess if they take a little from everyone they'll never need to buy their own.

I had jewelry taken from my room at the Poly. Had the sheriff called in because it was over 1,000 with the bag it was in and it was on two separate occasions during a 13 night stay. What was even worse is the staff at the Poly was unapologetic and could have cared less. It was truly a horrifying manner. Not once did I get an "I'm sorry" or let us at least buy you lunch. I was mortified with the lack of understanding and compassion. With that i normally always use the safe for wallets, electronics and medications. I happened to leave the bag out one night as we were in a rush.

Unfortunately saying Sorry or offering your anything could be construed as admitting guilt.

Does anyone actually use the safes in the rooms? Now I'm thinking maybe I should.

We try, but I've always found those safes to be a little small for the stuff we have.

Unfortunately saying Sorry or offering your anything could be construed as admitting guilt.

I'm not sure if that's a thing in every state though. Just from doing a quick search:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-apology_apology said:

You totally could be correct, not sure if Florida has the same kind of preventative laws as Massachusetts and California.

Edit: Just re-read your post. My brain thought you said "is" instead of "could be", big difference. Sorry about that! (There I go potentially setting myself up for litigation :p)

Does anyone actually use the safes in the rooms? Now I'm thinking maybe I should.
Absolutely. My husband is in law enforcement though, so he's more paranoid than most after seeing the horrible things people do on a regular basis.

Security is almost always about keeping honest people honest. It's a deterrence. As such, I use the safe for any small, temptation-inducing valuables.

The good news about this story is that it reminds people things can happen, especially where thousands of people are grouped together. Take appropriate precautions.

It also reminds staff to stay honest. People are people everywhere, and temptations can grab any of us in an instant.

I won't use a safe in the room. Surely there is a pass key or pass code and I don't want to take that chance. I have locks on my luggage and all valuables are locked inside the smallest one and then locked in a larger one.

I won't use a safe in the room. Surely there is a pass key or pass code and I don't want to take that chance. I have locks on my luggage and all valuables are locked inside the smallest one and then locked in a larger one.
Well, sure there's a passcode, but a 4 number code gives 10,000 possibilities, so it would take someone quite a while to figure it out. It would be a lot easier to break a suitcase lock....

Not to increase the paranoia level, but unless you have extra security luggage, there are pretty easy ways in there as well.

But you make a good point. Security is less about a sure thing and more about making it too inconvenient for a would-be thief. I considered the universal passkey thing for the safe, but I think it's more unlikely to get a random staff member to try that than say an envelope in a drawer.

Well, sure there's a passcode, but a 4 number code gives 10,000 possibilities, so it would take someone quite a while to figure it out. It would be a lot easier to break a suitcase lock....

I think they were talking about a universal code or key in case someone makes a code and forgets what they put in. I'm sure that's a pretty frequent issue.

Not sure how safes are unlocked when a guest leaves something behind accidentally; but back in 2010 my husband left $147.00 cash in our safe at the BWI cottage. He totally forgot about putting it in there because we never use a safe. We got home and still never missed it. Disney called us to tell us it was found and they were sending us a check for the amount. Good outcome; but now I'm more paranoid I'll put something in a safe and forget I've put it there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter