• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW Maid Caught in Sting

I have mixed feelings on this. The article says things came up missing from other rooms that she has cleaned, but I think this was entrapment. I mean, she took a $20 bill off the nightstand. I can completely understand why she would; she probably thought it was a tip. If they had left an ipad out and she took that, well then, you have a case imo

I have mixed feelings on this. The article says things came up missing from other rooms that she has cleaned, but I think this was entrapment. I mean, she took a $20 bill off the nightstand. I can completely understand why she would; she probably thought it was a tip. If they had left an ipad out and she took that, well then, you have a case imo

That's not what the article says.

Disney staff staged a room at the Old Key West Resort and put $200 in $20 bills in a nightstand, according Orange County deputies report. Disney security investigators watched with live cameras as Burgos entered the room and opened the nightstand drawer. She took a $20 bill and left, according to the report.

That's pretty clear cut to me.

Edit: If it was on the nightstand, then maybe, but usually tips are left in envelopes, or with a note.

That's not what the article says.

That's pretty clear cut to me.

Edit: If it was on the nightstand, then maybe, but usually tips are left in envelopes, or with a note.

My apologies, I read a different article where it said she took ONE $20 bill off of the nightstand; not went in and got it

My apologies, I read a different article where it said she took ONE $20 bill of the nightstand.

No need to apologies. I was just pointing it out :)

Edit: That's a pretty packed schedule to not even have enough time to put money in an envelope :p

But regardless, you're placing the money in such a way where it could be assumed as a tip. Since it's under the housekeeping card with their name on it. Pretty similar to leaving a note.

A "large number" of theft reports from rooms she had cleaned. I wonder how many that is, and what if anything Disney did for the victims.

A "large number" of theft reports from rooms she had cleaned. I wonder how many that is, and what if anything Disney did for the victims.

I stayed at AKL back in 2009 and I put all my spending money on gift cards. I either misplaced one of the gift cards or it was stolen. I went to the front desk and explained that it had been in my room and now it wasn't and if the housekeeper sees it if they could please let me know.

Without ANY questions asked, other than how much was on the gift card, they instantly issued a credit for the gift card amount plus a few bucks. I never found the gift card

My apologies, I read a different article where it said she took ONE $20 bill off of the nightstand; not went in and got it

I read that same one

Oh and I NEVER put my tips in an envelope. I don't have that kind of time. I usually place a tip under their card that has their name.
The whole time we were at POP - we never had a card that said who our mousekeeper was that day - espically since they change day to day - we just use regular envelopes and put mousekeeping on it and leave it proped up by the TC

I read that same one

The whole time we were at POP - we never had a card that said who our mousekeeper was that day - espically since they change day to day - we just use regular envelopes and put mousekeeping on it and leave it proped up by the TC

Usually, there is a card near the TV or on the table with a name on it. Every day I would put it under that card. It was always gone so I guess they got the hint.

Oh and I NEVER put my tips in an envelope. I don't have that kind of time. I usually place a tip under their card that has their name.

I agree, I have never placed a tip inside an envelope instead I place it on a pillow with a hand written "Thank You". What's up with all the envelopes? I thought that was more for cruise ships but now that's changed too it's all incorporated into your final cost.

That's too bad, she looks so scared.

I agree, I have never placed a tip inside an envelope instead I place it on a pillow with a hand written "Thank You". What's up with all the envelopes? I thought that was more for cruise ships but now that's changed too it's all incorporated into your final cost.

alot of people do mousekeeping envleopes - decorate with sitckers, download and print - sometimes its used as an actitivy with kids for the trip

Same, I just use a slip of notebook paper and wrap the cash in it. And yeah, her facial expression really stood out to me. Doesn't theft under a certain amount fall into a different category than something expensive like an iPad? I feel like if they were serious about catching a thief, put out something valuable but small, like a jewelry or a camera.

They would not have done the sting if they weren't pretty much 99.9% certain she was the thief. They only did it to make sure they had perfect evidence for a court case and an easy way to fire her for cause. This will also let the county not have to track down those stolen from to testify (which most people would pass on doing at the amounts stolen and the likely inconvenience to do so).

EDIT: I bet she also confessed to the Disney investigator after being caught, b/c most people caught red-handed just feel like they have to try to explain...and that digs their hole deeper.

Do you think OKW housekeepers feel slighted since there's less daily housekeeping at a DVC resort which means they probably get less tips?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter