WDW has went Cheapo for Xmas

1) We had a neighborhood Christmas party Sunday with lots of CM's.
2) Many of our development folks work at WDW.
3) We had quite a conversation on the lack of decorations.
4) And, the comments were from Maintenance folks and two managers. *
5) Some of the other things discussed were also disappointing to hear.
6) But, the lack of decorations was pitiful.
7) Especially considering the amount of guest who come for the sights.

* One of the maintenance guys has over 30-yrs with the Mouse. He said that he has never seen such few decorations.

one bite at a time.

This is sad. I remember back in '96 (when I was CP) how amazing and wonderful the decorations were!

Did anyone see the holiday special on HGTV hosted by David Bromstad about holiday decorating at WDW? It was on last night and I saw it repeated this morning. It is a behind the scenes look and it was pretty cool.

We were there 11/29 to 12/5 and noticed the same lack of decorations compared to previous years. Does anyone know how DL's decorations compared this year to previous? My DH and I keep talking about flying out there to see their Christmas decorations sometime.

We have seen some attrition over the past three Christmases. Some of it small stuff, like missing garlands at the GF, and some of it big, like the lights of winter this year. But, there are certain things that are added this year also. There was a new gingerbread tree at CR, and some new chocolate sculptures at the BC. These additions don't offset the losses, IMO, and the overall feel is less Christmassy.

ShantaClausSm.png

We have seen some attrition over the past three Christmases. Some of it small stuff, like missing garlands at the GF, and some of it big, like the lights of winter this year.

ShantaClausSm.png

Shan-man, what are the "lights of winter"? Is that the archway of lights down the main drag in Epcot?

As an aside, I saw on the Disney holiday decorating special that this year is the first year the Osbourne Family light display at DHS is comprised of all LED lights. That had to cost a pretty penny... maybe that is where the holiday decorating dollars have gone! :)

I drove my family around Disney property 2x this year looking at the lights. The first time was right around Thanksgiving, and I noticed that there was somethings missing.(Like Port Orleans had nothing outside the entrance)I chalked it up to not being done yet.Xmas eve, we did it again, and PO still had nothing and everything else seemed subdued.Tonight my son and I went to the DHS and noticed that the Osborne lights seemed more compressed than previous years,and there was not a lot in the park itself.

They were playing Xmas music and the snow was falling, it just seemed smaller than years past.My parents went a few weeks ago, to see the Osborne lights and they were saying that the night they went it was raining on and off and there was large sections of lights and rotary displays that were out or not functioning at all.They said the same thing that it seemed like the display was pushed into a smaller area.

In general though, I think Disney is getting really cheap.For the last several years,for example, the Country Bears have not had a Xmas show,(which is something that my son and my grandmother looked foward to.It was a tradition for them.)Come to think of it, I dont remember seeing any decorations around Grizzly Hall in the MK like years past.
Also, looking at things like the hitching posts on Main Street, they used to be perfectly clean painted.Now it looks like every time theres a chip missing, they just paint over the missing chip and let it go.The quality isnt there any more.Something else I just thought of is that the Emporium on Main Street is usually open until the last guest is pushed out of the park, for last minute gifts.Now, if the park closes at 10, and you have not made it in to the store for that last minute gift, your out of luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter