WBC vs Vistana for Non-Park spring break

Derry Wade

Disney dreaming :-)
Which would you choose? We have 2 kids (8,12). Prices are comparable for 2 bedroom villas over spring break. Both sound very nice. Pools are most important factor. We will have our car. No parks this trip, except maybe a day at Legoland. Any thoughts appreciated as we live 1,000 miles away and have not seen either resort. TIA :-)

I haven't stayed at WBC, but I have stayed at Sheraton Vistana Resort Villas twice. There are two Vistanas: Sheraton Vistana Resort Villas and Sheraton Vistana Villages. They are two different resorts in two different areas.
There is a whole thread on Vistana Resort under Hotel Accommodations and Reviews: https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-sheraton-vistana-resort-thread.3148502/
I'm not sure why WBC has a whole thread on this main board but the Sheraton Vistana thread is in an entirely (not easy to locate, IMO) area. ???? Anyway, you can get some great information on SVR on that page.
That said, we really like SVR and it's one of our choices for this May again. We haven't made a final decision because it will depend on what type of getaway deals we can get.

I haven't stayed at WBC, but I have stayed at Sheraton Vistana Resort Villas twice. There are two Vistanas: Sheraton Vistana Resort Villas and Sheraton Vistana Villages. They are two different resorts in two different areas.
There is a whole thread on Vistana Resort under Hotel Accommodations and Reviews: https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-sheraton-vistana-resort-thread.3148502/
I'm not sure why WBC has a whole thread on this main board but the Sheraton Vistana thread is in an entirely (not easy to locate, IMO) area. ???? Anyway, you can get some great information on SVR on that page.
That said, we really like SVR and it's one of our choices for this May again. We haven't made a final decision because it will depend on what type of getaway deals we can get.

Thanks! Yes, I should have said the Vistana Resort Villas - not the Villages. I have read quite a bit about each which has been helpful but thought I'd just see if anyone could compare and contrast WBC with the Sheraton Resort Villas through the lens of a non-park stay. I'm sure they are both great!

We have stayed at both several times and done a non-Disney parks trip at both.

First off, you can have a great vacation at either resort. Both have lots of amenities and fun things to do.

That said, given the choice, my family would pick WBC every time.

WBC is more compact, easier to hop from pool to pool and just seems more lively. The resort has large towers, which means you can get some great views you won't find at Vistana.

WBC is surrounded by Disney property, so you feel more "in the action"

WBC also feels more contemporary and resort-like, while Vistana feels more like a giant apartment complex. Vistana is older, so has some of that 1970s vibe in the pool area.

Overall, I like the room layout at Vistana and the ability to park outside your unit. The rooms were updated.

Vistana is closer to offsite restaurants and shopping as well.

In the end, you can have a fun time at each, so there is no "wrong" decision to be made.

Take a look at photos and videos out there and see how you feel.

Thank you much! This is exactly the type of observations I was hoping to hear. Much appreciated!!

We have stayed at both several times and done a non-Disney parks trip at both.

First off, you can have a great vacation at either resort. Both have lots of amenities and fun things to do.

That said, given the choice, my family would pick WBC every time.

WBC is more compact, easier to hop from pool to pool and just seems more lively. The resort has large towers, which means you can get some great views you won't find at Vistana.

WBC is surrounded by Disney property, so you feel more "in the action"

WBC also feels more contemporary and resort-like, while Vistana feels more like a giant apartment complex. Vistana is older, so has some of that 1970s vibe in the pool area.

Overall, I like the room layout at Vistana and the ability to park outside your unit. The rooms were updated.

Vistana is closer to offsite restaurants and shopping as well.

In the end, you can have a fun time at each, so there is no "wrong" decision to be made.

Take a look at photos and videos out there and see how you feel.

We stayed at the Vistana in 2016, and enjoyed it. We were in a 2BR unit, and it was HUGE. King master with a big jacuzzi, and second bedroom with two beds (can't remember if they were queens or doubles). Kitchen, living room (with pull out sofa bed), and nice little washer/dryer. With a car, it was nice being able to park right outside our door, which made it easy to go out for shopping, parks, etc. It is a very spread-out resort with multiple pool areas, so depending on where you stay, you may want to drive to your desired pool (there are pools near each area, but you might want features available at a different pool). I did not use them, but there are tennis and basketball courts, if your kids are interested in non-pool activities. The mini golf course was pretty basic, but fun for us. I also think the condo-like feel of the units makes for a quieter experience than hotel-like units where people are walking up and down the halls.

I have not been to WBC, but from what I understand, their pool areas are much more extensive and elaborate. I don't know if your 12-year-old has aged-out of the pirate ship in the main pool, but it's a feature you won't find at Vistana, and WBC has a lazy river, which is great for "kids" of any age. If you plan to spend a lot of time in the water, WBC has the edge.

That said, WBC's proximity to Disney might be a drawback for you on this trip. As @Upatnoon says, it is basically "on" Disney property (surrounded on 3 sides and right next to CBR). Will your kids feel like it's a tease to be that close to Disney, drive under the Disney welcome sign, and not go to the parks? There are Disney things to do that aren't in the parks (like resort hopping, Disney Springs, etc.), so it doesn't have to be strictly no Disney, but you're the best judge of whether or not your kids would be satisfied with a near-Disney or Disney-lite experience.

If prices were equal, I'd probably pick WBC for a trip that includes Disney and Vistana for a trip that does not.

Thank you so very much! This is incredibly helpful.

We stayed at the Vistana in 2016, and enjoyed it. We were in a 2BR unit, and it was HUGE. King master with a big jacuzzi, and second bedroom with two beds (can't remember if they were queens or doubles). Kitchen, living room (with pull out sofa bed), and nice little washer/dryer. With a car, it was nice being able to park right outside our door, which made it easy to go out for shopping, parks, etc. It is a very spread-out resort with multiple pool areas, so depending on where you stay, you may want to drive to your desired pool (there are pools near each area, but you might want features available at a different pool). I did not use them, but there are tennis and basketball courts, if your kids are interested in non-pool activities. The mini golf course was pretty basic, but fun for us. I also think the condo-like feel of the units makes for a quieter experience than hotel-like units where people are walking up and down the halls.

I have not been to WBC, but from what I understand, their pool areas are much more extensive and elaborate. I don't know if your 12-year-old has aged-out of the pirate ship in the main pool, but it's a feature you won't find at Vistana, and WBC has a lazy river, which is great for "kids" of any age. If you plan to spend a lot of time in the water, WBC has the edge.

That said, WBC's proximity to Disney might be a drawback for you on this trip. As @Upatnoon says, it is basically "on" Disney property (surrounded on 3 sides and right next to CBR). Will your kids feel like it's a tease to be that close to Disney, drive under the Disney welcome sign, and not go to the parks? There are Disney things to do that aren't in the parks (like resort hopping, Disney Springs, etc.), so it doesn't have to be strictly no Disney, but you're the best judge of whether or not your kids would be satisfied with a near-Disney or Disney-lite experience.

If prices were equal, I'd probably pick WBC for a trip that includes Disney and Vistana for a trip that does not.

Excellent point about being on property and not going to the parks.

I’ve stayed at both and love them both, since your not going to the parks I’d say SVR simply for the affordable dining options near by but I’d request a building with an elevator or ground floor.

WBC! Newer, great pools and lazy rivers, free mini golf, activities. Kids and adults will love it!

SVR.. nice resort but much older and has a different vibe. WBC feels like a true vacation resort to me. SVR feels more like an upscale community.

I've stayed at both resorts and they are both nice. However, I'd pick WBC first hands down! The amenities are fabulous there! I saw that you said you'd be preparing meals there. Thought I'd mention that WBC has fabulous gas grills that you can use for free all around the resort.

I've stayed at both and even though you are not going to the parks, I think i'd pick WBC. If you think it might bother you to be so close to the parks but doing a resort stay, then you should also look into Orange Lake. It has multiple pools and one called River Island has a lazy river. We also like the rooms there as well.

Both resorts are wonderful. WBC is more compact as stated above which is very convenient. The only thing I find inconvenient at WBC is the drive to a Walgreens or non-Disney restaurant or grocery store. Vistana has a Walgreens & Chic Fil A next door, a grocery store a short drive away and a lot of reasonably priced (in other words non-Disney) restaurants nearby.

Either resort will be a nice vacation and our family is happy at either. If access to convenient reasonably-priced food is a priority, I’d choose Vistana. If it’s an afterthought, I’d choose WBC. Have fun whatever you choose!

I have 8, 12 year old boys , vistana villiages was awesome. They had a gameroom that the kids really liked We are going back in march. Last time is was under my older sons name. This time ours I think it was 299 for 4 days then upgraded free by going to the presentation.
Also go park less. I'm glad I'm not alone.
We decided to do a go orlando pass. We might do legoland for it's on the pass but we will see.

Good thing about WBC is that even with a non park trip you can very easily get to Disney resorts for meals or entertainment at resorts or to visit the Boardwalk area at night. Disney Springs.

We have rented points at WBC 12-15 times since 2008. Stayed in 1, 2, and 3 bedroom units. Access to pools is very easy. I particularly like the lazy rivers. But we have never tried to do a non park stay. We go to parks and get in the lazy rivers in afternoon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter