WANTED: Pal Mickey

lesleyd75

Mouseketeer
Hi,
Does anyone know where I could get a Pal Mickey? I wanted to buy one last year but it was so expensive I passed, now I want one for my 3 year old but I heard they're not for sale anymore. We are going to Disney World in May for his 3rd birthday and I think he would love PM! Help!

Did you try e-bay? I have one from years ago, but I am not willing to part with mine. Maybe someone on these boards will be willing to give/sell you theirs.

All the talk of Pal Mickey the last few days prompted me to put up a wanted on my local freecycle........................
A very nice lady just happend to have a 3 year old, brand new, in the box, never opened Pal Mickey...... and she gave it to me this morning:banana:
So maybe you can join up on your local Yahoo freecycle, and maybe you will get lucky too!!:woohoo:

They don't sell Pal Mickey anymore? Why? Fortunately we bought one 2 years ago. My DD loves to play with him here at home. Do they still sell the outfits at Disney?

They don't sell Pal Mickey anymore? Why?

Mysterious are the ways of the Mouse.

I don't know why they discontinued PM, but I can make some guesses. 1) Money -- Sales may have not been high enough to justify the shelf space. 2) Technology issues -- as the parks change and evolve, PM starts becoming "out of date" in terms of it's in-park usefulness. 3) New Directions -- Disney seems to be interested in going with cell phone applications in the near future; most guests already have them, the unit cost is virtually zero, and requires little to no display and warehousing.

That said, I'd still like to see the idea resurrected (we love our PM) and even expanded. In addition to "Pal Mickey", the could have a whole line, featuring characters like Goofy, Jiminy Cricket, Ariel, and so on (in general, popular/classic characters who could fit into a "guide" role and still be able to pass off some really corny jokes) -- this would certainly be a good marketing opportunity to sell multiple units to the same family, with different kids having their own "Pal". (If they add in the ability for two "Pals" to "notice" each other and occasionally interact, that would be extra cool. And I know it's quite possible.)

As for the "out of date" issue, it shouldn't be hard to add a computer link (say, a mini-USB port) to the unit to allow its firmware to be updated -- this could even work away from the parks by allowing owners to download joke/trivia/song updates from their home PC/Mac. Imagine having your "Pal" give you some fun trivia facts about the movie being released next month... as long as it doesn't get too "pushy" in that regard, I think it works well for Disney and enhances value for the buyer.

Thanks to everyone who replied, I put an ad up on our local KIJIJI maybe I'll get lucky! The swap makes me a bit nervous - I checked on ebay and they want $130 for PPM! If my PM got lost during our swap I couldn't afford to replace him!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter