Want to go solo...but nobody will let me!

I'm 43, soon to be 44 years old, and all I want is to go on a trip to WDW alone! I'm not married. No kids. This should not be a problem. Went in 2016 with the parents for our first trip there in 17 years. Just went for a quick trip in December to celebrate Mom's 75th birthday and see WDW at Christmastime. Both trips were very fun.

So after returning from the December trip, I decided on a whim to check what DVC points were available for rent for three nights this coming June for my own solo escape! Kidani was available, which was perfect! I've always wanted to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge/Kidani.

I'd just finalized the booking when my best friend calls and I tell her I'm going back to WDW solo! She said, "No you're not. I want to go with you!"

Well, I couldn't say no, and I AM happy to have her come along. But dang! There went my "solo escape".

My mother tells me a few days later that if my friend backs out or cannot go for some reason, she's waiting in the wings to fill her spot, LOL!

When I keep telling them and others, "I really want to go by myself some day," they all look at me like I'm nuts!

It's going to happen one day. The Solo Escape!

Hi sounds like you need to sit both your friend and your mom down and say" I want to go by my self this time but maybe we can plan a trip in the future"

Thanks for all of the replies, guys!

Well, the truth is that I could have said "No" to my friend, but honestly she's done so much for me over our 30 year friendship, that when she expressed interest I couldn't help but encourage her to come along. She honestly deserves a getaway herself, and it will be a lot of fun!

And at 75 years old, if my mama wants to go, I'm not going to deny her either. Just can't happen. She's my very favorite person in the world.

Both of these people are ideal travel companions for me. We like all of the same things, and I know we'll have a great time.

BUT, I do still want to go alone! I have told them this, as well as other people, and they look at me in silence and then change the subject, LOL!

I just kind of want to do the solo thing while I'm still young enough to feel confident about traveling alone. Disney, to me, is the easiest travel destination for a solo trip. I'd probably never go anywhere else alone, but WDW feels like home turf.

The buddy trip will be a blast, I'm sure though. Our theme is "Hakuna Matata!"

Next time don’t tell them until right before you leave. Would be too late for them to join you then.
I agree! i'd keep my mouth shut until just before im about to board my plane. :laughing:
Solo trips are THE BEST! Its a must-do at least once.

LOL........I planned a solo trip in 2015. First words out of my DD mouth was "Oh, I'll go with". I gave a big "Oh He**, NO"!!! Best "alone" trip ever!!!!!!

Going again in 19 days! This trip is a reschedule of a trip i was to take with my uncle for his 80th. He passed away 4 weeks before the trip. This time I asked DD to go so I won't be so sad remembering he didn't make it. :)

Each experience is different. You'll find a time to go solo and it will be awesome! Have fun with your friend!

I agree! i'd keep my mouth shut until just before im about to board my plane. :laughing:
Solo trips are THE BEST! Its a must-do at least once.

For me, it's usually a one to two week notice, but only because I have to arrange for a ride. Granted I have fewer family members that would want to go, but I still tend to remain private so I don't have to hear their complaints.

Thanks for all of the replies, guys!

Well, the truth is that I could have said "No" to my friend, but honestly she's done so much for me over our 30 year friendship, that when she expressed interest I couldn't help but encourage her to come along. She honestly deserves a getaway herself, and it will be a lot of fun!

And at 75 years old, if my mama wants to go, I'm not going to deny her either. Just can't happen. She's my very favorite person in the world.

Both of these people are ideal travel companions for me. We like all of the same things, and I know we'll have a great time.

BUT, I do still want to go alone! I have told them this, as well as other people, and they look at me in silence and then change the subject, LOL!

I just kind of want to do the solo thing while I'm still young enough to feel confident about traveling alone. Disney, to me, is the easiest travel destination for a solo trip. I'd probably never go anywhere else alone, but WDW feels like home turf.

The buddy trip will be a blast, I'm sure though. Our theme is "Hakuna Matata!"

My current travel companion isn't a 100% ideal match, but still within the realm of compromise. I do have two solo trips planned in addition, so there is a little give in my case.

It is hard for most people to understand why anyone would want to travel (or dine or go to a movie . . .) alone, so they assume that you really want someone with you. Another possibility could be that they are concerned about your safety if you go alone

Or to could be they enjoy traveling with you and enjoy WDW. Too bad all 3 of you can't go - you could go early and have some solo time and your friend can travel with your mom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter