Want to go solo...but nobody will let me!

GPC0321

DIS Veteran
I'm 43, soon to be 44 years old, and all I want is to go on a trip to WDW alone! I'm not married. No kids. This should not be a problem. Went in 2016 with the parents for our first trip there in 17 years. Just went for a quick trip in December to celebrate Mom's 75th birthday and see WDW at Christmastime. Both trips were very fun.

So after returning from the December trip, I decided on a whim to check what DVC points were available for rent for three nights this coming June for my own solo escape! Kidani was available, which was perfect! I've always wanted to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge/Kidani.

I'd just finalized the booking when my best friend calls and I tell her I'm going back to WDW solo! She said, "No you're not. I want to go with you!"

Well, I couldn't say no, and I AM happy to have her come along. But dang! There went my "solo escape".

My mother tells me a few days later that if my friend backs out or cannot go for some reason, she's waiting in the wings to fill her spot, LOL!

When I keep telling them and others, "I really want to go by myself some day," they all look at me like I'm nuts!

It's going to happen one day. The Solo Escape!

I'm 43, soon to be 44 years old, and all I want is to go on a trip to WDW alone! I'm not married. No kids. This should not be a problem. Went in 2016 with the parents for our first trip there in 17 years. Just went for a quick trip in December to celebrate Mom's 75th birthday and see WDW at Christmastime. Both trips were very fun.

So after returning from the December trip, I decided on a whim to check what DVC points were available for rent for three nights this coming June for my own solo escape! Kidani was available, which was perfect! I've always wanted to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge/Kidani.

I'd just finalized the booking when my best friend calls and I tell her I'm going back to WDW solo! She said, "No you're not. I want to go with you!"

Well, I couldn't say no, and I AM happy to have her come along. But dang! There went my "solo escape".

My mother tells me a few days later that if my friend backs out or cannot go for some reason, she's waiting in the wings to fill her spot, LOL!

When I keep telling them and others, "I really want to go by myself some day," they all look at me like I'm nuts!

It's going to happen one day. The Solo Escape!
I most often add a couple extra days to my Disney trips for some solo time before my friends arrive. In a week I will be heading to Disney World for my longest solo add on ever.....6 nights before my friends arrive. I am so excited! Maybe you can quietly add on a couple nights?

When I planned my solo trip, I asked around if anybody wanted to come. No one did. I had a wonderful time. Plan and book a trip and don't tell anyone if you really want a solo trip. I am trying to decide when the next one should be. In some ways I would love to have a companion, but I feel that way lots of days even at home. At WDW I was having too much fun doing what I wanted to do to feel sorry for myself that I was alone. I was much less lonely there than at home. Just Do It!

If you do indeed want a solo trip, don't tell anyone ahead as suggested above.

We have a friend who is single and does not like to travel alone so we often invite her to come with us. Perhaps your family and friends are worried you will be lonely on your own? Assure them that is not the case!

We have a friend who is single and does not like to travel alone so we often invite her to come with us. Perhaps your family and friends are worried you will be lonely on your own? Assure them that is not the case!

I wondered the same thing. It is hard for most people to understand why anyone would want to travel (or dine or go to a movie . . .) alone, so they assume that you really want someone with you. Another possibility could be that they are concerned about your safety if you go alone. I agree with previous posters that one option might be to add solo time to the beginning or end of your trip. I also agree that you could book a trip and not tell anyone until right before the trip or after you are there. If they are concerned that you will be lonely or unsafe, following through with a solo trip on the lowdown might convince them that this is something you really want to do.

I agree with the don't tell anyone you've booked or add a day or two before or after. Solo trips are a lot of fun.

I agree with others, either don't tell them you are going until just before the trip or just tell them you are going solo, period. I do at least one solo trip a year and love them. My honey hates to travel anywhere and my son can't always get off work/school to travel with me so if I want to go somewhere, it's solo.

Happened to me too. Booked my first solo trip, and as soon as I told the family about it my mom and aunt are joining me for a day. My sisters and their families are coming for different days. Thankfully it's a long trip so I'll still get plenty of solo time.

A lot of people just don't understand how a solo trip could be fun. Me, I've wanted to go solo since I was at Disney as a kid. I'm a social worker, but also a true introvert. So I treasure my time with just me.

I just booked my birthday trip solo and I couldn’t be more excited for it. I won’t let anyone go on trips with me except for family since I like to be up early and get to the parks for rope drop.

Next time don’t tell them until right before you leave. Would be too late for them to join you then.

THIS. I have a solo trip planned in April and I haven’t told anyone yet. 1. I’m not sure if I can afford it yet. 2. My husband won’t be thrilled. 3. My Mom will try to come.

You should just go. I had 2 evenings in Epcot and 1 in HS by myself and I loved it.

THIS. I have a solo trip planned in April and I haven’t told anyone yet. 1. I’m not sure if I can afford it yet. 2. My husband won’t be thrilled. 3. My Mom will try to come.

You should just go. I had 2 evenings in Epcot and 1 in HS by myself and I loved it.

Why is this deception even necessary? Just say NO!

Do what I do, book it and wait a while before telling anyone. When someone says they want to come with I just tell them next time! I have been going twice a year for that very reason. First one of the year is always a solo trip and the second one is usually with my mom.

Not deception. It's just some people won't take no for an answer. If you are a single adult, you do not owe anyone an explanation, so it is really about being free to do as you please and protecting your privacy. The OP clearly was having a problem with people inserting themselves into his plans repeatedly.

I’m sorry, what?

“Definition of deception
1a : the act of causing someone to accept as true or valid what is false or invalid”

How is not telling anyone about something a deception?

Definitely not deception. I plan on 1 solo trip per year... sometimes I have work trips to Orlando and I extend them a few days to
make use of my AP :) I agree, just don't tell people you are going til the last minute. After all, this is YOUR vacation.

Same phenomenon happened to me- I did a solo trip last year and didn't think anything of not asking someone to come because, well, 'solo' trip. Then, twice in separate conversations, the people I told about my trip were like "Oh do you want me to go with you?" Which...is a nice offer, but isn't the point. So I told them thanks but no thanks and went my merry way. It's just funny how some people interpret "I'd like to do this alone" as "I planned this alone but oh my god I can't actually do this by myself please someone come and keep me company."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter