Walt Disney World bans sex offenders from theme parks

Every state in the country has a public online site that anyone or organization can to check.

Very easy to do! ACTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO DO.

AKK

T

DID YOU READ THE POST YOU QUOTED? Did you understand what Traveliz posted?

It's impossible to check an online site if you don't know the person's name or address.

T

DID YOU READ THE POST YOU QUOTED? Did you understand what Traveliz posted?

It's impossible to check an online site if you don't know the person's name or address.

If you read my posts you would have found that nothing is 100%............in this case they have the names and addresses of every annual pass holder and guest at all Disney resorts........some 27,000 plus beds.

There are other facial systems and they can ask for your ID any time.

As I said, it is better to try and do something that right , then sit back and mock other peoples efforts.

AKK

AKK

I kinda wish they'd at least separate it by the different levels of sexual offense. Someone who is a level 1 for having an SO a year younger than them is clearly different from a level 3 repeat offender.

I agree 100%, and Disney and any company can check the state sites to see what the offense was and decide if that person should be kept out of the part.

That 1 teen that had sex with his girlfriend a year younger, has seen had his name removed..it was in the papers a year or so ago.

AKK

+1 Sexual predators can buy their tickets at the gate, from their local AAA office or from mail order vendors.

This policy gives the appearance of keeping sexual predators out of the parks without really doing it.

People are on the list for misdemeanors committed before the list existed.

1. WRONG.....they have already stated they have kept 75 out already. Please don't put your own over lay on ?Disney policy.....nowhere have they said its 100%. You kept trying to say that.....not Disney.

2. Whether they were convicted predators before the list was started is not a issue and doesn't matter...........their sick sex offenders!

Please bring up something that is pertinent to the discussion and facts.

AKK

I think she's referring to the Bloom County character and "AKK"

tumblr_mhglu19xGk1qzwnozo1_500.jpg

Not a sense of overall security... But there are 75 less sexual offenders that could potentially be in line with my family. :)

I kinda wish they'd at least separate it by the different levels of sexual offense. Someone who is a level 1 for having an SO a year younger than them is clearly different from a level 3 repeat offender.

This. Think about it. In some areas, a person who gets drunk and decides to pee in an alleyway could find themselves on the registry. (yes, it's happened).

Also, as mentioned, its only relevant for those people who provide their names to Disney. Anyone purchasing a day ticket, they'll get in. There's no ID requirement for anyone staying at a resort, save for the person checking in; someone could easily provide a fake name to Disney as a guest of another.

There's plenty of loopholes; the net-net is this is as much a PR and/or security theater move as it is a real protective measure.

This. Think about it. In some areas, a person who gets drunk and decides to pee in an alleyway could find themselves on the registry. (yes, it's happened).

Also, as mentioned, its only relevant for those people who provide their names to Disney. Anyone purchasing a day ticket, they'll get in. There's no ID requirement for anyone staying at a resort, save for the person checking in; someone could easily provide a fake name to Disney as a guest of another.

There's plenty of loopholes; the net-net is this is as much a PR and/or security theater move as it is a real protective measure.

I agree.....mostly.... and Disney and any company can check the state sites to see what the offense was and decide if that person should be kept out of the park.

That 1 teen that had sex with his girlfriend a year younger, has seen had his name removed..it was in the papers a year or so ago.

Those extremes in the laws have been slowly changing........not all yet but changing. As I pointed out the degree of the crime is listed as well and Disney can decide if who can still enter the parks.

However

1.all resort guests must provide ID by state law in Florida and most states.

2. Disney can request ID at anytime in the parks or on property and remove you if they decide to.

3. There is a lot fewer loop hopes then you think. I would also expect Disney security it be focused more on prevention of guests being attacked then trying to ID each person coming into a park.

It not 100%....but is a good start and the techno will improve in time.

AKK

doesn't sound like a bad policy but not anywhere near perfect, for instance "the father that was caught urinating outside after being out at the bar in his early 20's and by law required to register as a sex offender?"

should he really not be allowed to go to Disney with his family?

so much cynicism from some folks: just because it's not 100% doesn't mean it's not worth doing?! Just because there's oddities with how it can be enforced Why not try SOMETHING? It's not costing you a dime! Disney's not saying "Hey! we've made our parks pervert-free!" They're saying "hey, we're trying this, and we've seen some encouraging positive results." Are you afraid that ticket prices will go up at the expense of "pretending" pedophiles can't get into the parks? That parents will think "well, since Disney is preventing sex-offenders from getting in, I can let my children run free, knowing that they will be free from sexual assault!" then WHAMMO?! I mean seriously, how can people have a problem with this? This isn't about the validity or loopholes regarding sex-offender laws in various states... this is about what WDW is doing to attempt to make things that much safer/more comfortable for families in attendance.

So what's the problem if it doesn't work 100% of the time?

So when you're in a pool with your child you rely 100% on Lifeguards to babysit your kids and keep them from dying? Cool! Don't need them anymore! They clearly don't work because people die in the resort pools sometimes...

What about stop-signs: people roll them all day long, especially on property - might as well remove 'em! No point in having them then right?

Might as well start letting guests smoke everywhere in the parks, since they don't succeed in 100% enforcement on the smoking areas.

Oh, and lets not forget ride safety! No point in them reminding people to buckle up! We've all seen those ToT pictures where people weren't buckled in... if it can happen once, I guess there's no point in trying to do better!

I find it crazy how many people are dumping on what is clearly a step in the right direction.

Also, this wasn't a press-release from Disney: It was an investigative report done by local news. And there's been no mention of "a guy who peed on a dumpster when he was 20 but now has a family of 5" being denied entry...

Also, this wasn't a press-release from Disney: It was an investigative report done by local news. And there's been no mention of "a guy who peed on a dumpster when he was 20 but now has a family of 5" being denied entry...

The problem is that person is in the database as being guilty of indecent exposure. Most of us see a big difference between a teenager peeing near a dumpster behind a bar and a pedophile flashing a little girl. Both are cases of indecent exposure.

Another example. You think you can tell the difference between someone who is a violent offender and someone who was a 19-year-old who had consensual sex with his girlfriend who happened to be three years younger? If so, you must possess some special powers. Both offenses can be listed as 'Aggravated Sexual Assault with Force

The lists need to be pruned, JMO. Restrict it to people who were found guilty of what we think of as being a sexual predator.

The problem is that person is in the database as being guilty of indecent exposure. Most of us see a big difference between a teenager peeing near a dumpster behind a bar and a pedophile flashing a little girl. Both are cases of indecent exposure.

Another example. You think you can tell the difference between someone who is a violent offender and someone who was a 19-year-old who had consensual sex with his girlfriend who happened to be three years younger? If so, you must possess some special powers. Both offenses can be listed as 'Aggravated Sexual Assault with Force

The lists need to be pruned, JMO. Restrict it to people who were found guilty of what we think of as being a sexual predator.

If you looked at the lists you would see that the degree of the crimes are set up at degree and what they did.

Please google and you will find what I have been saying that the laws have been changing and eliminating the silly teen stuff.

However the bottom line is simple. I would rather Disney be stricter to protect my family.

AKK

Ya, thats exactly what I was trying to convey. If Disney can find a way to decipher these things then I am all for this. Maybe they will only deny access to level 3's, or 2's. Who knows but just cross examining peoples id information with a national sex offender registry is not going to work.

and really, even if this was enforced I would still be as vigilant with my kids while in any theme park, same as I am in the mall, grocery store, ect. That means always having them within arms reach, never taking my eyes off them, going into multiple stall bathrooms with them, standing by the door of single bathrooms ect.

If you looked at the lists you would see that the degree of the crimes are set up at degree and what they did.

Please google and you will find what I have been saying that the laws have been changing and eliminating the silly teen stuff.

However the bottom line is simple. I would rather Disney be stricter to protect my family.

AKK

I used google and what you've been saying isn't true.

I'm waiting for the link regarding FL law requiring photo ID from all guests checking in.

In fairness......that was not at Disney...............there was a state sex predator site that had a old law, part of which public peeing was considered a sexual act.............it was in 1 or a few states and I know most if not all has been removed.

AKK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter