Walking A Reservation

Borrowing is just final in that they are now moved to that UY, not that it is the only reservation that can be done with those points. I'd guess you would have to walk to get all of those.
Yes, I agree with Jetsdad. The “Final Transaction” rules only become a problem if you start your walk in one use year, and your final trip dates are in the following use year (or if your trip straddles two Use years.)

I have gone on walks that crossed a use year boundary, but I did not have to borrow points to do so.

Well, I would certainly like to get standard studio and (2) 2BR and Boardwalk for that time. Yes- I own at BWV and have 410 points available from banking and borrowing. That is all I have available with 110 points available in 2019, 2020 the rest of the points. So... Looking at the point charts, I would NOT be able to get 5 nights with the BW/pool view. I could only do 4 nights. I REALLY need standard at BWV for 14 people. IS there another way to get 14 people in at BWV for December of 2019? ALSO, how does "walking" work IF you have to borrow points? Thought that was a "final transaction" and you can't call and change everyday if borrowing? So... Guess I am asking, how WOULD YOU DO THIS?

HELP!!!!!!!!
How would I do it? I would try to find an owner with BWV points who can transfer points to me (for a reasonable fee) so that I could comfortably book the P/G View if necessary. I definitely would not count on being able to grab 3 Std. View BWV villas for what is considered to be one of THE BUSIEST DVC week of the year. There are only 37 Std. View 2BR villas and you want 2 of them! Plus a Std. View studio, as well! You're asking for a miracle.

TBH, if I wanted what you're looking for, I would have already begun walking the reservations (assuming that I could even secure all of them in order to be able to start the walk).

Well, I would certainly like to get standard studio and (2) 2BR and Boardwalk for that time. Yes- I own at BWV and have 410 points available from banking and borrowing. That is all I have available with 110 points available in 2019, 2020 the rest of the points. So... Looking at the point charts, I would NOT be able to get 5 nights with the BW/pool view. I could only do 4 nights. I REALLY need standard at BWV for 14 people. IS there another way to get 14 people in at BWV for December of 2019? ALSO, how does "walking" work IF you have to borrow points? Thought that was a "final transaction" and you can't call and change everyday if borrowing? So... Guess I am asking, how WOULD YOU DO THIS?

HELP!!!!!!!!
I wouldn't even try because the chances of getting 3 standard view villas for that time frame are so small. I'd look for a transfer as a previous poster suggests and plan on Pool/Garden view.

Good luck!

How would I do it? I would try to find an owner with BWV points who can transfer points to me (for a reasonable fee) so that I could comfortably book the P/G View if necessary. I definitely would not count on being able to grab 3 Std. View BWV villas for what is considered to be one of THE BUSIEST DVC week of the year. There are only 37 Std. View 2BR villas and you want 2 of them! Plus a Std. View studio, as well! You're asking for a miracle.

TBH, if I wanted what you're looking for, I would have already begun walking the reservations (assuming that I could even secure all of them in order to be able to start the walk).

Well, I just figured out that I have JUST enough points for 5 nights in the December 2019 timeframe. I would have EXACTLY enough for 1 2BR, a studio and a 1BR and ALL... Preferred pool/BW view......

Would THAT help my situation? Sorry to ask so many for help/opinion, just want to be able to book and get at least a CHANCE to book during this time..
ALSO.. My dates ARE flexible... We can go December 9-13... Or Dec 8-12... Dec 1-5... Just want 5 nights.. Also as indicated earlier, I have never "walked" a reservation and trying to get my "ducks in a row" so to speak...

Thanks to all who can help...

Well, I just figured out that I have JUST enough points for 5 nights in the December 2019 timeframe. I would have EXACTLY enough for 1 2BR, a studio and a 1BR and ALL... Preferred pool/BW view......

Would THAT help my situation? Sorry to ask so many for help/opinion, just want to be able to book and get at least a CHANCE to book during this time..
ALSO.. My dates ARE flexible... We can go December 9-13... Or Dec 8-12... Dec 1-5... Just want 5 nights.. Also as indicated earlier, I have never "walked" a reservation and trying to get my "ducks in a row" so to speak...

Two 2BR villas would take fewer points than a 2BR + a 1BR + a studio. Keep in mind that all 2BRs are lockoffs, so you could treat one of the 2 BR villas as 2 separate villas (studio + 1BR) just by keeping the connecting doors shut and locked if the occupants of each villa wish to be separated.

The first two weeks of December are very popular. Flexing your dates might help a little but not a lot. Going for the P/G View will improve your chances but not the Boardwalk View, because there are too few of them (only 21 2BRs).

Another challenge you’re going to face is that while you may have JUST enough points for 5 days during the weeks you’re looking at (low cost, first two weeks of December) your walk is going to lead you through a high cost weekend (namely Thanksgiving) which will decrease the number of days you’ll be able to effectively walk for a period.

While once in a walk, you should technically be able to block out other owners with as little as two days, your particular walk through Thanksgiving should factor into your calculus for the effective length (read frequency of modifications) for your walk.

Ready to sell your membership yet? This is the new reality.

Another challenge you’re going to face is that while you may have JUST enough points for 5 days during the weeks you’re looking at (low cost, first two weeks of December) your walk is going to lead you through a high cost weekend (namely Thanksgiving) which will decrease the number of days you’ll be able to effectively walk for a period.

While once in a walk, you should technically be able to block out other owners with as little as two days, your particular walk through Thanksgiving should factor into your calculus for the effective length (read frequency of modifications) for your walk.

Ready to sell your membership yet? This is the new reality.

Bing...

I will figure it out-hopefully.. It is not "life-threating" if I do NOT get my resort for our Christmas Family Disney Trip.. LOL--- I don't believe I will be selling my DVC b/c of this. I have had it 19 years now. Probably one of the longest DVC owners on here...I think I read where the avg DVC owner keeps it 10-15 years..

As for my Trip.. I am going to try to get 2-2BR's at BWV, garden/pool view for any time frame from Dec 1-15.. IF I don't get it, will book CCV which we own. OR... reduce my trip by 1 day, and get 4 nights and everyone would stay at Swan/Dolphin/Carr. Beach/etc.. Not the end of the world..

Wish me luck!!!:rainbow:

Wish me luck!!!:rainbow:
You have a healthy attitude about it all (and a contingency) so I trust you'll be fine without any need for luck.
I don't believe I will be selling my DVC b/c of this. I have had it 19 years now.
I was just alluding to your incredulous response to ziravan about people not being able to book at exactly 11 months and how "a LOT of people will be selling their DVC and quickly...." if that were the case. Unfortunately, I think he nailed it. WDW 50th will be on the heels of SWGE, so for at least a couple of years, I suspect booking is going to be more challenging across the board even at 11 months for a lot of places.

Times of year that don't require walking are being walked because, well, why not? It's so bloody easy to now. Reservations are being walked for as long as several weeks/months. You've never walked before and here you are having to at your home resort. I don't imagine you're the only first-time walker after the introduction of online modification tool.

Throw SWGE into the mix and you have the perfect storm. I only see booking getting harder and harder over the next couple of years.

So this happened to me last week. I log on 7:58 ready to book AKL studio value and the 1st day was gone. I was livid because I figured this is what people were doing but luckily after 2 days my waitlist came through so I decided with my 480 points I have enough points to do it myself so Im joining the team of *******s who do this

So this happened to me last week. I log on 7:58 ready to book AKL studio value and the 1st day was gone. I was livid because I figured this is what people were doing but luckily after 2 days my waitlist came through so I decided with my 480 points I have enough points to do it myself so Im joining the team of *******s who do this
You cannot fault people for doing something that is within the existing rules. I'm not crazy about it either but I decided a while ago that I can either stand on principle and be left without a reservation or join the walkers when getting a specific villa or week at my home resort is important. I own at BWV. I like going for F&W. I would probably be among the walkers if I planned to stay there next fall. So, you can count me among the *******s.

As the NFL refs say... "Upon further review", here is my plan of action. I will try for the following weeks (5 nights)

Nov 17-22, 2019
Dec 1-6, 2019
Dec 8-13, 2019
Dec 15-20, 2019

Will try to book 2 (2BR Villas). I HOPE to get standard view, if NOT, I have enough points for Pool/Garden/BW view.
Some questions:
1. What are my chances of getting one of the above dates and 2 (2BR Villas) at BWV during that time
2. Will I need to "walk" this reservation?
3. WHEN should I start "walking" to get the dates?
4.HOW does walking work when the date falls on a holiday? For example, IF I book the Dec 1-6 date, even IF "walking" would I be able to change it
on Jan 1??

I know BWV has 147? or so Villas of that size-BW view,Pool view,Garden view, Standard view...

Any hope for me??

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

As the NFL refs say... "Upon further review", here is my plan of action. I will try for the following weeks (5 nights)

Nov 17-22, 2019
Dec 1-6, 2019
Dec 8-13, 2019
Dec 15-20, 2019

Will try to book 2 (2BR Villas). I HOPE to get standard view, if NOT, I have enough points for Pool/Garden/BW view.
Some questions:
1. What are my chances of getting one of the above dates and 2 (2BR Villas) at BWV during that time
4.HOW does walking work when the date falls on a holiday? For example, IF I book the Dec 1-6 date, even IF "walking" would I be able to change it
on Jan 1??

I know BWV has 147? or so Villas of that size-BW view,Pool view,Garden view, Standard view...

Any hope for me??

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!
There's always HOPE.

1. Your chances are the same as anyone else's to get one. Slightly smaller when trying to book two because you must do them one at a time. Best chances are for the P/G view just because of numbers.
  2. Probably.
  3. Now. But TBH, if you only have just enough for 5 nights in Dec., you're going to have to figure out how to do it over Oct. and Nov. plus the Thanksgiving holiday. They require more points/night than early Dec. so you will not be able to reserve 5 nights at a time.
  4. MS is generally closed on holidays but the website should be functional.

Nov 17-22, 2019
Dec 1-6, 2019
Dec 8-13, 2019
Dec 15-20, 2019

Some questions:
on Jan 1??

Any hope for me??

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

If it helps for a little comfort, here is what happened at 11 months out for your start dates this year:

Dec 17 for Nov 17-22: everything at BWV was open at 10 a.m. eastern, standard studios and 2BRs disappeared at about 10:30, boardwalk view studios and 2BRs about 12, at which time pool/garden view was still open.

Jan 1 for Dec 1-6: standard studios and 2BRs disappeared moments after 8 a.m., boardwalk view about two minutes later, pool/garden view still open at 9 a.m.

Jan 8 for Dec 8-13: both standard and boardwalk view studios and 2BRs were open until about 8:05 a.m., pool/garden still open at 9.

Jan 15 for Dec 15-20: all three views were still open at 9:30.

Last edited:
use to be easy, now not so easy. I checked over 3 weeks ago to see what was open at BWV and could not start a ressie for any standards or boardwalk rooms for mid Oct 2019 because of lots of walking. I walk sometimes but never more than 8 to 10 days out when needed

use to be easy, now not so easy. I checked over 3 weeks ago to see what was open at BWV and could not start a ressie for any standards or boardwalk rooms for mid Oct 2019 because of lots of walking. I walk sometimes but never more than 8 to 10 days out when needed
Those who used to walk a week, will walk a month. Those who used to walk a month, will walk a few months, those who have never walked will figure out where in a that range they'll need to land, but this is sadly the new normal.

When it comes down to it, waking isn't always going to work, but Marshawn Lynch nailed it when he commented on the new online modifications and all the walking that's happening.

"I know I'm gon' get got. But I'm gon' get mine more than I get got, doe."
so Im joining the team of *******s who do this
Don't hate the player. Hate the game... or hate both, but you have to hate the game a little too... it's in the Public Offering Statement.

So you got your reservation but your livid and now going to do the same thing and increase walking?

If it helps for a little comfort, here is what happened at 11 months out for your start dates this year:

Dec 17 for Nov 17-22: everything at BWV was open at 10 a.m. eastern, standard studios and 2BRs disappeared at about 10:30, boardwalk view studios and 2BRs about 12, at which time pool/garden view was still open.

Jan 1 for Dec 1-6: standard studios and 2BRs disappeared moments after 8 a.m., boardwalk view about two minutes later, pool/garden view still open at 9 a.m.

Jan 8 for Dec 8-13: both standard and boardwalk view studios and 2BRs were open until about 8:05 a.m., pool/garden still open at 9.

Jan 15 for Dec 15-20: all three views were still open at 9:30.

Drusba,
Thanks! That is very helpful. I will try for one of those dates and see what happens. Thanks for the helpful insight to that. I still find it hard to believe that almost all 2BR's are that tight in Mid-Late November and into early December. On the OTHER HAND, we have never tried to get reservations during this time. We DID get reservations in December 2012 at Animal Kingdom (a 2BR) with no problem... Go Figure!!!

If enough people get shut out of their home resort right at the 11 month window and call Disney to complain Disney will remove walking IMO. But how many people are currently being shut out as of now? Not sure.

If enough people get shut out of their home resort right at the 11 month window and call Disney to complain Disney will remove walking IMO. But how many people are currently being shut out as of now? Not sure.
If people are getting shut out of some categories at the 11 month window, it’s because demand outstrips supply.

Ending walking won’t change that.

If there are 50 rooms and 100 people want them and all 50 rooms are being walked, then 50 people are going to be shut out at 11 months. End walking and all 50 rooms are open at 8 am on the 11 month window... and 50 of those 100 people who want the room aren’t going to pull the trigger fast enough to get a room. Ending walking might change the process but it won’t change the outcome.

The bottom line though is that it’s impossible to be shut out of your home resorts at 11 months. There aren’t more points than rooms. Walking or not, this is always a limited category problem. The real exacerbation here is point cost inflation twisting demand towards studios. DVC has no real desire to fix that because building large point sucks like the cabins and bungalows benefits their business model.

To bring the point home, let’s take BWV as an example. An increased demand for studios generally makes booking studios at 7 months at BWV, especially during peak seasons like Fall Frenzy, impossible. So. More people buy points at BWV with the express purpose of booking at the 11 month window. Over time, more owners at legacy resorts with limited categories are turning into owners who are purposing to use those points at exactly 11 months in exactly those limited categories (and in the highest demand times of year).

I’m walking an AKV room because I have AKV points. As an owner of Poly and BCV already, we’ve stayed plenty of times at Kidani and we love it there! That’s not why we bought AKV points, though, because we don’t need AKV points to find Kidani rooms from time to time. We bought AKV points to take a shot at value and concierge rooms. Because we only bought 100 AKV points (due to price inflation), that means mostly studios (maybe 1 br values in the cheapest seasons as well).

In those rooms, in studios, most times of the year, that means walking. We knew when we bought the points that so long as walking was within the rules as currently implemented, that walking was going to be, by necessity, part of the plan of ownership for those points. If I didn’t know about walking (or more specifically that nailing down these rooms was always going to be a crapshoot), then I’d be pretty danged disappointed to find that I was getting shut out. Again, the problem is that demand outstrips supply. The existence of walking, if anything, at least gave me confidence to know that I have a decent shot. And. If they end walking tomorrow, at this point, I know enough about how the 8 am booking window works that I’d STILL have a decidedly competitive advantage over your average owner. If all 50 rooms opened at 8am, and I was one of the 100 owners trying to book, my odds of success would still be much greater than 50/50. You can’t take knowledge as a competitive advantage out of the equation, even if you try. The owners that learn the system to their advantage will always have an advantage.

Last edited:

No necessarily. DVC does not guarantee that an owner can get a room for any dates that they want - they are very explicit about that in the paperwork. It's a flexible system and all it takes is a time frame with higher demand to prevent 11 month bookings for all that want those particular high demand times. The correcting factor is supposed to be the point charts hopefully pushing people towards lower demand times - but what were low demand times are now high demand. If anything, what complaints should precipitate is a change to point charts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter