Wal-Mart (or any store, really) pricing errors - how hard would you argue?

jaybirdsmommy

DIS Veteran
So, our wal-mart has a bulk clearance aisle - it's divided into $1, $3, $5, $10, etc sections. Some items are priced, others aren't.

Say you find several of an item - in this case around 30 - in the $1 section. They are hung up, not thrown on a shelf, and given the number of them that are there it's probably not a situation where someone picked it up somewhere else then sat it down in the wrong place.

You know this wal-mart has a LOT of issues with correctly pricing things so you always scan clearance items to make sure they ring up at the clearance price - when you scan this particular item it scans at $11, not $1. You bring this to an employees attention, and they just shrug and walk off. How hard do you argue trying to get the item for $1? I didn't argue, but I did tell the employee that someone needed to move the items since they were not $1. For the record, $1 was a REALLY good price for this item, they are normally around $20. $11 is good, too, but not as good as $1.

I have a friend that would have shouted to the ends of the earth to get the sale price. I didn't figure it was worth the trouble. What would you have done?

So, our wal-mart has a bulk clearance aisle - it's divided into $1, $3, $5, $10, etc sections. Some items are priced, others aren't.

Say you find several of an item - in this case around 30 - in the $1 section. They are hung up, not thrown on a shelf, and given the number of them that are there it's probably not a situation where someone picked it up somewhere else then sat it down in the wrong place.

You know this wal-mart has a LOT of issues with correctly pricing things so you always scan clearance items to make sure they ring up at the clearance price - when you scan this particular item it scans at $11, not $1. You bring this to an employees attention, and they just shrug and walk off. How hard do you argue trying to get the item for $1? I didn't argue, but I did tell the employee that someone needed to move the items since they were not $1. For the record, $1 was a REALLY good price for this item, they are normally around $20. $11 is good, too, but not as good as $1.

I have a friend that would have shouted to the ends of the earth to get the sale price. I didn't figure it was worth the trouble. What would you have done?

If it scanned $11, and there was no price tag with the item name that literally said $1, I let it go.

I fight prices when the scan says one thing, but I can pull the tag off the shelf (if it's a sticky) or take a pic of it (if it's set in) and the tag says another - but I make sure it's same product, same size, same sale date (aka not expired), etc...a "random $1 bin" would not cut it, b/c customers can leave anything anywhere...as can store employees...and that's what they'd usually say - a restocker left it there and will be getting back to it...

Depends how badly I needed/wanted it (I once argued sales tax with a company for about three weeks.) If its just something I'm buying because its a dollar, not much but more than you did - assuming I had the time. I would have maybe brought one to the service desk and asked for verification. If I need it, I would try harder.

I'd probably have to see how the clearance section was laid out and just where it was.

Pricing error to me is it's marked with a certain price but doesn't come up that price. Also where they have the signs with the barcode and description of the item and the price rang up doesn't match that.

I will say depending on what the item is Wal-Marts around me aren't the best at separating out clearly. It's more the seasonal merchandise that they tend to give up on making it very nicely laid out. Those times I double check with a price checker device somewhere in the store before I get my heart set on it.

This sounds like it was either already there and clearance merchandise was added to the area or it was incorrectly put out there by the employee.

I doubt I'd fight it very hard in this particular case though I understand either way wanting to.

Unless it's a jurisdiction that has laws requiring the store honor pricing mistakes, and I'm not convinced this scenario would fall under those laws, I'd ask politely and maybe push a little. Otherwise, they may have no legal obligation to honor it.

Unless it's a jurisdiction that has laws requiring the store honor pricing mistakes, and I'm not convinced this scenario would fall under those laws, I'd ask politely and maybe push a little. Otherwise, they may have no legal obligation to honor it.

That's pretty much what I did. Asked to see how they'd respond. The item was clearly in the $1 section. There is a $15 and under section on the other end of the aisle. There were about 30 of them all neatly hung up so I don't think it was a case of someone dropping them there. If they'd have had a $1 sticker on them I would have pushed a lot harder. Since they didn't and the manager didn't seem inclined to do anything about it, it wasn't worth the effort.

I've had some run in's with this particular store's management in the past about mis-priced sale items. Ever since a manager all but accused me of switching signs (in a busy store, on a Saturday afternoon) on a sales bin to save $6 on a toothbrush, then left the supposedly incorrect sign on the same bin for over a week after it was brought to her attention. I have no problem telling them that something's priced incorrectly and they need to fix it.

My friend that I mentioned in the original post, goes to the store very early in the morning on her way to work. She catches all kinds of errors. They've gotten to the point they know she's not backing down, they just ask how many she wants. The last time it was $30 bags of dog food on an endcap with a $10 sign. The humane society got a windfall that day.

At Walmart I wouldn't argue it at all. Our local Walmart customer service reps have hearts of stone, and the managers hide from customers.

Just yesterday at a store I bought two of an item that was marked $20 at the shelf, but rang up as $25 at the register. I told the clerk and he adjusted the price on both items, no questions asked. That's customer service.

As to how far I'd push if they were nonresponsive, it depends on the price difference, whether or not it's worth my time. For a significant price gap or if I was buying multiples, or both, as you reported, I would go back to the aisle and call a salesperson over to discuss the price discrepency, politely escalating it to a manager if needed. It's fraudulent if they knowingly mark items with one price, yet ring them up as another.

I would have either taken down the $1 sign/ the rack of items, or put an $11 sticky on top of the $1. It’s forward, but I feel better walking out.

They’re scuzy sales tactics are their business, you just need to protect yourself when you chose to engage with them. Waste time in a Walmart arguing over it in order to get that item at the listed sale price? Only you can determine the value of your time/stress. Waste time demanding they fix their signage? Absolutely not. You can tell a business how you want them to run their business sure but at the end of the day you don’t run it so it’s simply not your call. If what they are doing is illegal in your state/city turn them in, but because these are sale items odds of that applying are not in your favor.

I don't see it as a real price mistake if the item isn't specifically labeled $1 with a tag or signage.
This is just a case of an employee sticking it in the wrong section and only worth mentioning if there was an employee right there next to me. And that isn't to argue to get the item for $1, it would be just to let them know it is in the wrong place.

i haven't had too many problems w/walmart but SAFEWAY:mad::mad::mad: they have lost the majority of my business b/c of pricing errors (always in their favor). when i go to point it out to the clerk at the register they will always blame it on it being a 'personalized just for u' discount that they have 'no way of looking up' and referring me to customer service (before they are done ringing up the rest of my purchases). i find SO MANY errors on their receipts that when i have to use them (last choice anymore) i print up a copy of my list from the safeway website w/all the prices and just for u discounts then i exit the checkout and immediately go stand in the customer service line while i review the receipt (VERY RARE that i exit the line having found no errors).

I wouldn't argue too much, mainly because I would check it on their price scanners before going to the register

Here in California, the law used to require each item to be individually priced. Now, if the shelf sign identifies a specific product and a specific price, sure, I'd question it. Given that an item could be easily moved into the wrong bin in a bulk situation, something that is beyond a stores control. no I would not question it.

I would probably bring it to their attention, and drop it. But if I was in the store again in a week or so I would check and see if the problem was fixed.

That's a huge price difference, and $11 was probably it's true price. I'd just walk away, as it sounds like the merchandise was in the wrong area.

I was at Target and there were signs all over saying lunch boxes and backpacks t a certain % Off. At the register it was higher. The Manager and I walked to the back where the signs were. On they way we passed other clearance signs that were wrong. Looked like an associate was mad and put them everywhere. The Manager gave me all that I wanted at that price. Lots of school backpack donations that year I gave.

Here in Ontario Canada we have what is called a "Scanning Code of Practice" . The retailers don't have to honour it but most choose to. If they choose to honour the code, there is a sticker on the door of the store and another at the cash register stating this. If a price scans wrong, the retailer honours the code this way. If the price is less than $10.00 the item is free If it costs more than $10.00, $10.00 will be taken off at the cash register, when paying. All the customer has to do is state "Scanning Code of practice" If there is any argument, a toll free number is on the sticker on the store's door, and the cash register too. Only once have I had to go back, take the price sticker back to the cashier to get it honoured. This only applies to the first article. I couldn't take a dozen $1.00 items and expect to get them all for free. Just the first and the following items will be charged at the corrected price. Walmart is a member, Home Depot, all the major grocery chains too Actually the only store that isn't a member that I'm aware of is Home hardware but I've never had a problem with them regarding prices. It will not apply to a bag of hand picked oranges for example, because they are not scanned. It really is a stress free way of honouring the correct price. I love looking for those blue stickers when I walk into a store.

I use the Walmart app to scan things while in store, so I never would have made it to the check out with them. It's specific to location and knows which store you are in, so it's very accurate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter