• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Waitlist for New Year's. Do I stand a chance?

ncmvp

Mouseketeer
We just decided to spend Dec 31- Jan2 in WDW. We have been put on the waitlist for a studio at any DVC resort. What do you think my chances are of actually getting this?

Sorry to say not good. Being only3 1/2 months out, there are all those others who waitlisted ahead of you, so even though there may be cancels, you may not be far up enough on the wait list. 12/31 is the HARDEST night to get. There are more one dbedrooms than studios, you might try wl for that size room.

Sadly, I think that kem330 is right and it may be pretty tough to get at this point. Do you have a backup plan, like an on-site hotel or somewhere offsite?

I got through at 9:20 AM right at the 11-month window for NYE at BWV. I'm still on the waiting list for that night. Granted, I'm looking for a standard 2BR which is a more restricted choice. But NYE will still probably be the hardest night to get.

Sending an extra big shower of pixie dust your way! Let's hope that something comes through for you at one of the DVC resorts. Good luck! :sunny:

Just rent a studio off the rent/trade board. There is an OKW one bedroom and a BWV studio on there available right now.

Originally posted by nuthut
Just rent a studio off the rent/trade board. There is an OKW one bedroom and a BWV studio on there available right now.

I wonder who's it is??:rolleyes:

The waitlist does come through sometimes, but that is a very popular time.:(

That's insane.:rolleyes: I agree, it's a popular time, but it's way too early to think the waitlist might not come through. Besides, if nobody buys this one off the board, it may get cancelled and there's your room!

Good luck to you. I hope you get a call real soon saying you've got the ressie you want!

If you really do want to be there this NYE, I agree that a back-up plan is in order. You may eventually get some or all of the days off the waitlist but 12/31 may not come through at all. Many Floridians will book NYE....I know I would if I lived in driving distance. ;) I wouldn't say it's impossible but it is far from a sure thing. I've been waitlisted for studios and 1 bedrooms at BWV and BCV since the 7 month mark. Some nights have come through and I'm piecing things together but I have only had 1 studio night come through to date.

:rolleyes:

I would pay rack rate at a deluxe hotel before I would encourage the systematic hoarding of rooms at premium times for the purpose of gouging fellow members.

Lisa

We were on the waitlist for Dec 28-Jan 3. We got a studio at OKW for that time, but are waitlisted for BWV (only need Dec 31 & Jan 1)
If we get BWV, we will cancel our OKW. I am still hoping we will get BWV!

Don't lose hope! But I do agree that a back up plan can't hurt!
Good luck!

Originally posted by Lisa F
I would pay rack rate at a deluxe hotel before I would encourage the systematic hoarding of rooms at premium times for the purpose of gouging fellow members.

Lisa

The two reservations are listed a $10 a point. How can that be gouging? If you what to be gourged by Disney and pay rack rate, go ahead. It's just that why not rent one of those NYE ressies and get what you need and then rent your points to someone else for another time. Don't you come out even?

I would pay rack rate at a deluxe hotel before I would encourage the systematic hoarding of rooms at premium times for the purpose of gouging fellow members. Lisa

I agree 100% with your post above Lisa.
biggthumpup.gif

Most members don't buy into DVC with the purpose of gouging fellow members during peak times on the rent/trade boards.

Lisa
Feisty. I like that!
I also agree... :cool:

It's just that why not rent one of those NYE ressies and get what you need and then rent your points to someone else for another time. Don't you come out even?

Well, you might, except if your points must be used by a certain time, coupled with discounts that may be available through Disney directly that you would have to compete with, you are probably less likely to get $10 per point in a less optimal season than you are on New Years Eve.

But I suspect the person who booked the ressie only to turn around and sell it on the rent and trade board is already well aware of that.

Cancelled a studio & 2 br at OKW for NYE when waitlist for GV came through. Then when two family members backed out cancelled a 2 BR at BCV for NYE last Friday. Just seemed the right thing to do especially after someone so kindly cancelled their GV instead of trying to rent it. When I went on the waitlist for that night the CM said I was number 2 or 3 on the list so am certain that helped. That was the 11th month window for NYE and the waitlist came through May 2nd. Good luck to all of you who are waiting but a backup plan wouldn't hurt at this date.

The two reservations are listed a $10 a point. How can that be gouging? If you what to be gourged by Disney and pay rack rate, go ahead. It's just that why not rent one of those NYE ressies and get what you need and then rent your points to someone else for another time. Don't you come out even?

Oh, I see you've had to lower the price. Weren't those for sale for $12.50/point just a while ago?

Sometimes it's not about the money, it's about principles. We had a NYE reservation at BWV and decided to cruise instead. I'm sure if we sold that reservation we could've made enough to pay for our cruise. We didn't, we decided to release it back into the pool so another DVCer could use it. I guess my principles are worth more than a few $$. What goes around, comes around.

Lisa
(PS, I am not against renting one bit but as I said, the repeated hoarding of prime reservations just seems a bit against the disney spirit to me)

(PS, I am not against renting one bit but as I said, the repeated hoarding of prime reservations just seems a bit against the disney spirit to me)

Most of us DVC'ers are not against renting when certain things come up(sickness,death,accidents,pay for cruise, lost job,etc). But when someone puchases 2000 pts strictly for personal financial gain, and rents out prime weeks..............thats crossing the line IMO.:mad:

I just didn't want someone who occasionally rents to feel like they were being picked on and this to turn into a whole debate about renting. Suffice it to say that some people persist in crossing the line no matter where you draw that line.

Lisa

Oh, I see you've had to lower the price. Weren't those for sale for $12.50/point just a while ago?

Sometimes it's not about the money, it's about principles. We had a NYE reservation at BWV and decided to cruise instead. I'm sure if we sold that reservation we could've made enough to pay for our cruise. We didn't, we decided to release it back into the pool so another DVCer could use it. I guess my principles are worth more than a few $$. What goes around, comes around.

Lisa

Disney Spirit? What is Disney spirit? Disney spririt is renting the BWV studio for $449 a night! I glad you like Disney's spirit. At that rate, I guess Disney does not have any principles . You should sell your DVC membership rather than be involved in such a low class outfit with no principles. So just where is that line to cross? Is it any one who rents more than one time each year? Or two, or three or ten? Is it $8 a point or is it $10 or $12 or $15. For your info, the available NYE times I was talking about are not mine. No I did not and will not lower my price of $12.50 a point. If others want to give away their vacation time, I say go for it as it makes no difference to me.

I have to agree that there "seem" to be "some" members/people who book prime times and try to "make money" off them by renting them out. I have rented points out before, but I did so in off season and did not book the ressie up front hoping to rent it out.

I don't feel that members should book a ressie with the intention of renting it out....but we cannot control what others do....all we can hope for is some member comraderie.....I have met MANY members and have always enjoyed talking about DVC, Disney and more with them. It is a nice "group" to belong to.

I am waiting and hoping for a studio Dec 31 and Jan 1 at BWV....but I would not rent it out for cash. JMHO.

I am sorry that some people are offended here....but I don't feel like we should be attacking each other in anyway. I hope my post has not done that. We are all entitled to use our membership the way we see fit and we can charge what we want for renting.....we can also hope that one day a member will help us out and that we will be the kind of member that would do the same....

as Lisa said, "what goes around, comes around"...

:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter