• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL question

nem75

Mouseketeer
I have secured a reservation at the VWL next Jan. I am so excited, It will be our fisrt time there. Tell me your favorite thing about the resort to help get us pumped up even more (like that's possible) :rotfl2: And help reassure my husband that he will love it even though he wanted access to Epcot at BWV. We have 5 small children, so I got the proximity to MK. PLus it was my first choice. Don't you love how that works out ;) .

Also, do I check in at the lodge check in area, or is there a seperate check in over at the villas?

Christy princess:

Too many favorites to pick just one!

Eating some popcorn while watching the EWP from the beach, watching the geyser, taking the boat to MK, seeing someone ask for ketchup for the first time at Whispering Canyon, walking into the lobby, the music, the crickets...yeah, we love it there...

Mike

dizneeluvr said:
Too many favorites to pick just one!.......the music

I agree but if I had to pick one, that's it. Nothing like the theme music played at the VWL. We stayed there for Christmas 2003 and they were playing Christmas Music (which we usually love). That's when I realized how much the music means to the whole atmosphere.

HBC

You said you have little ones, so don't forget the duck races in Silver Springs Creek during the afternoon!

Also, if you ask at Guest Services they will give you a piece of paper with clues to finding many "hidden Mickey's" around WL and VWL. Great fun for the kids who are old enough to enjoy it.

The boat ride to MK is an attraction in itself to children (and many adults ;) ).

If you rent a surrey bicycle, or regular bicycles, there is a very nice path all the way down to Fort Wilderness through the woods. You may see a deer along the path (we have). It's also a great walking/jogging path if you have a hankering in that direction. At Fort Wilderness, there is an animal petting area that the kids will love, and I think an opportunity for a horse ride.

Don't worry...your husband will love it! :)

Since you will be close to Fort Wilderness, don't forget the nightly campfire program at Fort Wilderness.

For details on the Campfire program click here.

Anyone staying at a WDW resort can enjoy visiting with Chip and Dale while watching movies and other campfire activities.

Enjoy!

:wave2:

VWL is wonderful. Serene. Almost majestic. And a lot of fun at the same time. You'll probably enjoy eating at Whispering Canyon restaurant. The bus stop is pretty convenient. It's just got a great, relaxing atmosphere.

Granny said:
You said you have little ones, so don't forget the duck races in Silver Springs Creek during the afternoon!

Duck race? I thought I knew almost everything about the WL but I did not know about this duck race. My 5 yr old DD would love it. Where and when does it start and where can you sign up?

Thanks

yes Granny, more info on the duck races. Sounds so cute.

Thank you all for the added inspiration! I can't wait to see the geyser and experience the music. I think that music in the parks is one of my favorite things and adds that extra magic. I look forward to experiencing the music at the lodge.

So should I make a PS at Whispering Canyon? will the kids like it? they are scared of characters, so do you think it will be too exciting for them? and if you do recommend it, which meal luch or dinner?

Christy princess:

We always have breakfast at WC. We have eaten lunch once and dinner once there. All the meals were great. They don't have caracters there, the interaction is with the servers. They are really great and the kids will have a great time. The VWL is a good place to stay with kids. They have a lot of things for the kids to do and it's close to MK. We will be there in Dec. and we can't wait. Have a great vacation.

tamu91 said:
Duck race? I thought I knew almost everything about the WL but I did not know about this duck race. My 5 yr old DD would love it. Where and when does it start and where can you sign up?

Thanks
Okay, here's the scoop on the duck races at WL!

Pretty much every day at 2:00 (at least during the summer when we go), some Cast Members from WL stand outside by the bridge over Silver Springs Creek behind WL. They have a bunch of those little plastic ducks like you see in the "duck pond" game at carnivals, each with a number on the bottom.

They assign the little kids a number as they "sign up". Then, when they're ready, they take all the ducks up to the top of the creek near the lobby. The ducks float down the creek, and the first one to a certain point by the bridge is the winner. They find the kids with the winning numbers (maybe the first 3 places?) and give out some prizes. I've seen prizes such as a half-hour free surrey rental, little knick knacks like keychains and even some t-shirts.

It's lots of fun, the kids go crazy rooting for "their duck" even though they can't tell them apart.

It only takes about 20 minutes and the kids love it.

nem75 said:
So should I make a PS at Whispering Canyon? will the kids like it? they are scared of characters, so do you think it will be too exciting for them? and if you do recommend it, which meal luch or dinner?
WC is a pretty large restaurant, and we have eaten there a few times without any PS. It is bar-b-que, and they have an option that includes a family style "all you can eat" kind of thing.

It is a pretty rollicking place, with "horse races" on those little broomstick horses and singing and such. No characters, other than the CM's themselves. They are very entertaining, especially if you happen to hit on one of their favorite topics such as asking for ketchup! :earseek:

If I were you, I'd hold off on PS and stroll by some evening to check out the atmosphere (it's a totally open restaurant entirely visible from the lobby). You can make the call if it is "too much" for your kids.

My daughter, on the other hand, totally enjoyed standing on her chair and leading the restaurant in the Hokey Pokey! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter