VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Sleepy
Your comment about arcades not being cost effective, at least at DHHIR, reminds me of when Casey was a wee lad. All those stays at VWL many eons ago, Casey loved the arcade and spent a boatload of money in that place. We used to pick on him about always wanting to be in the arcade, yet we were in the Theme Park Capitol of the World. He loved that place and he alone probably kept it afloat for an entire year on just a 1 week stay😂😂😂

Sleepy
Your comment about arcades not being cost effective, at least at DHHIR, reminds me of when Casey was a wee lad. All those stays at VWL many eons ago, Casey loved the arcade and spent a boatload of money in that place. We used to pick on him about always wanting to be in the arcade, yet we were in the Theme Park Capitol of the World. He loved that place and he alone probably kept it afloat for an entire year on just a 1 week stay😂😂😂
Yes, I remember going to places like Six Flags over Texas and the long defunct Astroworld as a child, and one of my favorite things to do was to do the arcade. pirate:

A few pics from years back, Just because I don't think this room has been represented enough & it is one of the reasons VWL-BR feels like home. :)

y4mOTmihpqhm02WKW-HbZbPcPCPn7a-qHJbQvuWEA4Pww97wyK9qNJ1f0DIANGl-cisaEZhWnUNWNY4mqsmAz-ERDKp4E5i9700ermlpEvNTpxXtWsgEc5I0VEdQxBx-hoUV584nUu8--gUj1dTIN96B2Q9RuqII7QPIrAD05bmT76lcrncKgbE7uZArrBXwhsjchPADMcR7IwBMIg7gUQ3qLB7iM4ODxC49T_xwaeICd4

y4mTAVb2qv-QTgpejhti8cHOP_BOaos-eW9EYpNT6ResFQEblhszi1nsojsSP0cb4yGi4m6nsk44ineiKQVufQh6sc4-ksY_Gaa58FYQgEddSxrzQVhu4lda0p4h8saJkwCbfsnQ8OjUQR36zdvf3trTDT-jz1AEnibxXTRhq23wA82t4pR8MHUEruIJzEwZomi2ens4xmqP6vgtZtrXAsg4rAWXmGbGIFkuZNHmw1kL9M

y4mO3U8k_RpGTYqP9FhDby6MxFhqhCTvJwr4y9AjdrFyST04E68iGiOocVXwy0HBaiie1o48np8tzOMpVHqojpdAu998cRxnXDIL_kXIISHkT386qUN1KbWF1aj-1ncNUEFpOTETcouVSIX23VPtMDF3X1e5ylgDnHXHiLyC1JHdFr1VZZW5CyVDtL4dZrr1viSkB6DRb11WKQvq2vkGudLJazD6GFmpugHqBsi2oNNjKM

y4mwyReWRqXpk6pr5Zy8c6VWshfv31xb-e6P_-kM5rhxua1z5fliqKfJ9i6Hc7AF51uHgWVk9BD3bJj3ME7CRHbtLIG4vAkb9FTW8JXx6-B1szNlm5LxAalkKySlLRYczYxax7Hhyz5Kt_HLKUIMa-Z57Seslu9WE5NHuGu_qQiggnmGZPs0hvvASGzSUiUqaZzcDFKWgRZDWD4c2miD-HQn8Nx7BH5KEjidTdZGtjuTvU

Last edited:

Disappointed that they are closing Trails End and possibly turning it into a QS. So many people love that restaurant
Hadn't heard that, not that I have my ear to the ground anymore. lol I loved Trail's End, but once the walkway to FW closed, there was no easy way to get there. I suspect there was a fair amount of foot/bike traffic to TE from the Lodge, and that disappeared with the closure of the path.

Hadn't heard that, not that I have my ear to the ground anymore. lol I loved Trail's End, but once the walkway to FW closed, there was no easy way to get there. I suspect there was a fair amount of foot/bike traffic to TE from the Lodge, and that disappeared with the closure of the path.
Yeah closing that path was a big mistake. I think they underestimated how much we used it.

Dear Groupies~
January it is, and I know we don't much celebrate birthdays on here anymore not because we're lazy, just that it became just too difficult to keep up with them all; however, I do believe one of the OG Groupies has a birthday today, so here's a little birthday wish for him: :bday: :bday::bday::bday: :bday:

But, I'm not naming him for privacy's sake. . .pirate:

Last edited:
Disappointed that they are closing Trails End and possibly turning it into a QS. So many people love that restaurant
Me too! Loved the ambiance and also had some good meals there too. Way back when it was buffet all the time DH had his best meal ever - changed from breakfast to lunch. Will never forget that gleam in his eyes! lol

That plus not having the resort boats running. I'd have gone over there at least once, maybe twice during our last trip while staying at BLT if the boats were running. Did still take the boat once from MK but it was in the evening and Trails End not even open.
I really wish they'd get the walking path AND the boats back. Both still gone is ridiculous.

If they remove Trail's End, wouldn't Wilderness Lodge become the only deluxe hotel on WDW property without a lounge in the main building? While I like Geyser Point in good weather, it is not comfortable in cold/wet/windy weather. Tried it once and it made for a miserable evening.

If they remove Trail's End, wouldn't Wilderness Lodge become the only deluxe hotel on WDW property without a lounge in the main building? While I like Geyser Point in good weather, it is not comfortable in cold/wet/windy weather. Tried it once and it made for a miserable evening.
Trails End is the sit down restaurant at Fort Wilderness. I believe you're thinking of Territory Lounge?
They said they were going to be "transforming" Trails End into some sort of marketplace. Little info but pick up food or something???? Just not the same.

Trails End is the sit down restaurant at Fort Wilderness. I believe you're thinking of Territory Lounge?
They said they were going to be "transforming" Trails End into some sort of marketplace. Little info but pick up food or something???? Just not the same.
My mistake, I get the names confused :)

I hadn't heard that. We eat at Trails End at least once per trip. Is it already shut down?

I really am bummed that the footpath and boats are still not running. The cynical part of me thinks that since WL is now more than half DVC and with a strong DVC presence at Contemporary, they figure that there is no need to offer additional amenities to encourage resort bookings. Based on previous comments on this thread, CR management may not see much benefit in the boats. I was hoping these services would return whenever Reflections DVC resort started to sell but it seems that Reflections may be going the way of Eagle Pines. :guilty:

Me too! Loved the ambiance and also had some good meals there too. Way back when it was buffet all the time DH had his best meal ever - changed from breakfast to lunch. Will never forget that gleam in his eyes! lol

That plus not having the resort boats running. I'd have gone over there at least once, maybe twice during our last trip while staying at BLT if the boats were running. Did still take the boat once from MK but it was in the evening and Trails End not even open.
I really wish they'd get the walking path AND the boats back. Both still gone is ridiculous.
I hadn't heard that. We eat at Trails End at least once per trip. Is it already shut down?

I really am bummed that the footpath and boats are still not running. The cynical part of me thinks that since WL is now more than half DVC and with a strong DVC presence at Contemporary, they figure that there is no need to offer additional amenities to encourage resort bookings. Based on previous comments on this thread, CR management may not see much benefit in the boats. I was hoping these services would return whenever Reflections DVC resort started to sell but it seems that Reflections may be going the way of Eagle Pines. :guilty:
I, too, used to go to TE routinely when staying at the Lodge--walk over via the nature trail, or once that closed (grrrr), take the bike path. It wasn't a long walk, and after eating one of the better breakfast buffets on property, then the walk back helped work off some of the calories. They had a great pulled pork eggs benedict, and it was never crowded. And, yes, now that the boats aren't running, either, then it makes it way too difficult to get to TE anymore.

I believe the article said it would close during the spring of 2023, Granny.

As I've mentioned before (like a stuck record--HA! that's a reference most of us on here get but likely not many younger than 40), Disney's goal is to maximize profits. While they used to do that by offering the best, most immersive experience and letting that do the "talking," the past couple of decades has seen a shift to modern day mega-conglomerate thinking--offer just enough new experiences to keep people buying the product, but cut costs at every possible place: services, CMs, performers. . .anything that doesn't pay a direct dividend back to the company. That's why we've seen a huge increase in paid events--they fit the paradigm amazingly well: offer more so that it makes people feel special but charge you for it.

Oh, well. So, if you have a team playing in the conference championship games today, I have a few bourbons I can recommend to sit back with and enjoy the action! pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter