VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Hi groupies! My experience with Genie+ was that it was worth paying for at MK, otherwise not as much. Take it for what it’s worth, but I’ll be paying for it on MK day and then just purchasing lightning lane for attractions at other parks as desired.

Question, has anyone ever had a scooter when staying at Bay Lake Tower? We had one when staying at SSR a few years back which was simple to leave outside the unit in the hallway to charge as everything is so open there. Just wondered how much hassle it would be at BLT as my wife’s knee is acting up and she isn’t eligible for another cortisone shot until after we return…
I think I will try it for MK and Studios, possibly Epcot. The fact that we haven’t been able to ride ToT in a very long time is unacceptable! Side note: a few years ago, I decided I was going to try ToT again, and just “go with it”, and discovered I really LOVE it! At that time, the wait time was always “13” minutes, and typically a walk on! As you all know, those days are over. :sad2:

Hi groupies! M…

Question, has anyone ever had a scooter when staying at Bay Lake Tower? We had one when staying at SSR a few years back which was simple to leave outside the unit in the hallway to charge as everything is so open there. Just wondered how much hassle it would be at BLT as my wife’s knee is acting up and she isn’t eligible for another cortisone shot until after we return…
We last stayed at BLT over NYE in a studio had two ECV’s and we got them both into the studio. Sometimes if you are at the end of the hallway it seems acceptable to leave the ECV out in the hallway. However, I am concerned with theft, so we bring the scooters in and deal with the space.

I think I will try it for MK and Studios, possibly Epcot. The fact that we haven’t been able to ride ToT in a very long time is unacceptable! Side note: a few years ago, I decided I was going to try ToT again, and just “go with it”, and discovered I really LOVE it! At that time, the wait time was always “13” minutes, and typically a walk on! As you all know, those days are over. :sad2:
Morning, Groupies! Spring is here, though I know that means little this early. Still, at least we know warmer weather is on the way some day.

Also, I just had to comment on the note above. Paying extra, sometimes a lot extra, to ride attractions that once were easily managed with a little planning. . .sigh. That is all.

Morning, Groupies! Spring is here, though I know that means little this early. Still, at least we know warmer weather is on the way some day.

Also, I just had to comment on the note above. Paying extra, sometimes a lot extra, to ride attractions that once were easily managed with a little planning. . .sigh. That is all.
Ditto…. honestly, I cannot believe I have joined the “if you can’t beat ‘em join ’em camp”, but after our visit last year when we virtually rode **nothing**, I made the decision to try this. Disheartened does not even begin to describe how I feel.

Sleepy and Corinne….I have to agree completely with your sentiments. Our last trip (last October) we rode so few attractions that I felt like I was cheating myself for paying admission. It made me want to bite the bullet for our upcoming trip and at least experiment with Genie+.

In a weird way, it also made me want to renew my annual pass. I just got to the point where I knew if I had day tickets, I’d feel compelled to use them and feel like I didn’t get my money’s worth out of them unless we visited several attractions. With AP’s, we never feel pressure for short park visits or those park visits where we mostly stroll around.

So I guess Disney’s reverse psychology is working on me. :(

Im in the camp too of not wanting to fork over the extra $$ just to ride something I have riden umpteen times before, but if you dont, you just find oneself meandering around the parks(dont get me wrong, I like doing that too). So we have bitten the money grabbing bullet ourselves referred to as GP and LL, so we can enjoy the parks beyond people watching all day. WDW knew they were hitting on a good thing, for them at least, by uncharging for attractions

Granny, dont give up those APs or you will be like me, stalking the WDW website daily, hoping for APs to go back on sale. We gave ours up after Feb 2021 when WDW was still making us mask up, even outdoors. It was hot, and with Asthma, breathing restrictions are already a thing for me, so we all agreed to drop APs until a later date when the restrictions weren't so strict. Alas, here I am, searching a lot, with a small glimmer of hope that eventually we can someday soon get them again. By the time our trip in Oct rolls around, we would have paid as much if not more for 10 day PHs as we would have APs with DVC discount.

Last edited:
I'm also one who has caved on the Genie+. No wonder revenue is up per person! :rolleyes: I wasn't going to but 1st trip with them family had bought tickets with it so either pay or watch them go and that wasn't going to happen. Since then I also realized I was just too used to FP's having used them since way way way back. Sigh.
My gripe - only one per ride. The last few trips I could have used more Dumbo and wasn't riding Space or Big Thunder or anything like that. I wouldn't be too surprised that it's fairly common to be mostly focused on one end or the other where it would even out.

For me, the cost is too steep to go to Disney AND have to then pay for rides one once rode for free. Everyone has his/her breaking point, and these fees are mine. Disney is literally holding people hostage for money, and I just can't do it. I understand if you go and want to ride/watch anything other than the ones that have always been easy to get into, e.g., Tiki Room, that the new reality involves fees. I just can't make myself do it. Thus, I have no trips on the horizon, am not planning to have any, in fact. I'll just have to live vicariously through each of you and your trips. pirate:

Has anyone stayed in the pool view 2 bedroom-the ones shaped like an “m” or “w” on touring plans?

are they larger?

we have a dedicated 2 br booked for May and I was going to request a location and saw that this room configuration was the only pool view for a dedicated 2 bedroom.

thanks in advance.

Has anyone stayed in the pool view 2 bedroom-the ones shaped like an “m” or “w” on touring plans?

are they larger?

we have a dedicated 2 br booked for May and I was going to request a location and saw that this room configuration was the only pool view for a dedicated 2 bedroom.

thanks in advance.
That location and shape is very much the minority of the 2BR's. Take a look at posts on the 1st page here to see what room types are where. I'd think the xx35 rooms also would view the pool though not as direct. There's a diagram showing every floor. Here's the link. Just scroll down to the room map. VWL Room maps

A few here have had them though. They'll have to post about it and about getting a pool/lakeside since I've never had it. :eeyore:

Last edited:
There are many other dedicated 2BR's that aren't those. That location and shape is very much the minority of the 2BR's. Take a look at posts on the 1st page here to see what room types are where. There's a diagram showing every floor. Here's the link. Just scroll down to the room map. VWL Room maps

A few here have had them though. They'll have to post about it and about getting a pool/lakeside since I've never had it. :eeyore:

are they larger?

thanks in advance.
My daughter did the first week of March and it was spectacular! With all the windows the living room certainly feels much larger. There is only one balcony however, and it’s off the living room. The kitchen configuration is a walk through and larger if you can tell from these photos.

Attachments

• 7C7BE0F8-A982-4B42-951F-4C457DE05C38.png
    7C7BE0F8-A982-4B42-951F-4C457DE05C38.png
    224.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 39E82CA9-7D74-4A45-B1D5-DCB2A5BFE4F5.png
    39E82CA9-7D74-4A45-B1D5-DCB2A5BFE4F5.png
    175 KB · Views: 27
  • 2853DAC5-EC3E-4998-A607-9167E6D02071.png
    2853DAC5-EC3E-4998-A607-9167E6D02071.png
    149.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
For me, the cost is too steep to go to Disney AND have to then pay for rides one once rode for free. Everyone has his/her breaking point, and these fees are mine. Disney is literally holding people hostage for money, and I just can't do it. I understand if you go and want to ride/watch anything other than the ones that have always been easy to get into, e.g., Tiki Room, that the new reality involves fees. I just can't make myself do it. Thus, I have no trips on the horizon, am not planning to have any, in fact. I'll just have to live vicariously through each of you and your trips. pirate:
Yeah I totally get that. I think it is to the point where maybe you go just for the ambience and just get on whatever rides you can. The cost of Genie+ is crazy. Last time we went to WDW we didn't even buy it every day. I don't think you need it for Epcot or Animal Kingdom.

Yeah I totally get that. I think it is to the point where maybe you go just for the ambience and just get on whatever rides you can. The cost of Genie+ is crazy. Last time we went to WDW we didn't even buy it every day. I don't think you need it for Epcot or Animal Kingdom.
I might debate you need it at Epcot to skip walking the normal queue for Nemo. :teeth:

are they larger?

thanks in advance.
We stayed in 2159 , the corner room on 2nd floor facing pool once, and our only time in a 2 bedroom at VWL. And we fell in love with it! Spoiled us from that point on to always stay in 2 bedrooms if points allow. We will be returning in Oct to stay once again in a 2 bed and really hope for that room. We didnt ask for anything specific other than higher floor(that's a waste of 1 request since all 2 beds are 2nd floor and higher)and lake view, though pool view might get you closer. One another thing to ask for might be close to elevator

I cant answer if this room is larger than other 2 beds, but it seemed large to me at the time

Dang I am going through some serious planning withdrawls right now. It is so hard for me to not have a trip to plan for. I need to find something to do that is Disney related that fills my time. Thinking about maybe making some little craft things to make that are Disney related to hand out on my next trip for little pixie dust items. Does anyone else do that?

That's interesting, back around the end of Feb. I had read 5,000, 1,000 of which were to come from open job reqs. (meaning hiring freeze.)

The thought is that jobs directly related to park and resort operation should be exempt from layoffs. These jobs are coming from ESPN, the film groups and other sources disney has scattered about. While possible that DVC itself may be targeted, that is doubtful in my mind as long as they are producing revenue.

Sleepy and Corinne….I have to agree completely with your sentiments. Our last trip (last October) we rode so few attractions that I felt like I was cheating myself for paying admission. It made me want to bite the bullet for our upcoming trip and at least experiment with Genie+.

In a weird way, it also made me want to renew my annual pass. I just got to the point where I knew if I had day tickets, I’d feel compelled to use them and feel like I didn’t get my money’s worth out of them unless we visited several attractions. With AP’s, we never feel pressure for short park visits or those park visits where we mostly stroll around.

So I guess Disney’s reverse psychology is working on me. :(
Granny - unfortunately, our experience last June caused me to NOT renew our AP’s and with things as they are, I now realize I should have renewed. I am so disappointed in Disney. I feel they have basically decided the “old” DVC members are not worthy, and that DVC members and pass holders do not spend as much as the once in a life timers. I don’t see it getting better either, they’re still turning a profit and people (like me grrrr) keep going back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter