VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Agree with your assessment, DLI. I actually think the carpet is a nice touch (though it sure seems as if it would show dirt and grime more easily); however, the walls are bland and the light fixture overhead just as blah. Not a fan of either. I remember when they first refurbished the VWL rooms years ago and was so unimpressed by them. Cleaner lines? I suppose. Lacking theming of the original? Definitely. I feel quite certain we'll get another wave of bland and boring in the next round of updates, as well.

Thanks for the link to the video!
Yeah I'm just not a fan of the bland and boring. I always loved all the character and it just seems they are taking away some of the charm and turning the rooms into just another room from any resort. I don't think cleaner lines goes with a lodge theme. It's disappointing.

His video is here, posted 24 Jan 2021 :

(btw nice walking tour of the resort... wow so empty !!)

At about 6:19 he explains he just ran into one of his old coworkers who explained what is happening and then goes on to explain about WL hotel side opening June 6. Then, at 6:30 he explains, 'speaking of Boulder Ridge" and explains that before Disney does a refurbishment they like to test out their rooms and so there is somewhere in BR where the have installed a new test of what the rooms are going to look like and the walkway.

12:55 is where he starts showing BR and talking more about the refurbishment.

14:09 is where the carpet transition takes place from the existing to the possible new [if it is approved].

Carpet, walls, doors, lights are changed. Hall lighting is brighter.

He did a comparative screenshot of the two halls at 14:49.

Thank you for the link.

Here we go, his now vs. coming:

I didn't realize how orange the hallways currently are. It's great at the end of a long day not to be hit by bright light, but in the morning or mid-day, I think I'll welcome the brighter environment.

What I don't like are the brightly painted doors. It feels like a cheap way out to break up the monotony of the now white walls. I'm glad to see they're keeping the wood paneling and decorative bracing the same. It's important.

Overall, I think I like the changes. What do you all think?

Thank you for the link.

View attachment 552404

I didn't realize how orange the hallways currently are. It's great at the end of a long day not to be hit by bright light, but in the morning or mid-day, I think I'll welcome the brighter environment.

What I don't like are the brightly painted doors. It feels like a cheap way out to break up the monotony of the now white walls. I'm glad to see they're keeping the wood paneling and decorative bracing the same. It's important.

I like the rug and actually like the doors. Really don't like the bland white walls. Boring. But I'm a big fan of wood. Don't like the new light fixture either because it lacks personality.

I think the hallway carpet is a dramatic improvement. And reflects the theming found in the floor of the main lobby. I'm fine with the color of the doors too. The ceiling lights are okay, nothing fancy but nothing offensive.

It seems that the trend for Disney is to get all the theming elements into the common areas (hallways, lobbies, etc) and let the rooms themselves be "modern" and "fresh looking". What Disney calls modern, we call bland.

And I know that many WDW fans and DVC owners think that VWL is "too dark" and "too woodsy" to start with so I guess this is part of the change thought process as well.

I think the new carpet is a big improvement, so I'll take that "win". :)

Last edited:
Finally watched the video and before I even had a chance to react to the changes, I found myself trying not to laugh at his mixed metaphor, "eye-dropping"!
Anyhow, the carpet looks good, don't like the light fixtures because they don't match the ones everywhere else and I am very partial to the light fixtures there. I hope there will be some hidden Mickeys in the carpet. I will reserve judgment on the red doors. The color red doesn't always photograph true, so I am hoping they are not as garish as they look.
Hopefully the wood paneling and iron borders will remain.
I like earth tones or pastels in the resorts. When there is so much stimuli in the parks, I love coming back to a calming resort.

This music duo is a husband and wife team from our local area, The Chatham Rabbits. We know Sarah from our homeschool group as she and our kids are very close in age. Their music has some folksy/bluegrass/soulful mix about it. They are one of my favorite groups to listen too this days. They have 2 albums out and working on a 3rd now. The below song is a Flatt and Scruggs tune, The Good Things Outweigh The Bad, and its so appropriate for the times we are living in. I hope you enjoy!

I promise not to bombard you folks beyond the next 2 songs, please "Bear" with me(get the WL nod)as I share more Chatham Rabbits
This song is titled Blue Ridge Mountain Home. For anyone who has visited the Appalachian Mountains of NC, VA and East TN can maybe relate to this song. These young folks have some very insightful lyrics IMO, and seem to write beyond their years

One more
This is my favorite song by The Chatham Rabbits. It tells a true story of a young Civil War soldier, but from the perspective of his wife as she dealt with his horrors of war. It doesn't glorify war but rather speaks of the strife of what is carried for many years after, and how it affects the loved ones too. Its titled Bugle Boy

Granny, I know you are like me, a history buff. So I especially think of you as I share this, but I hope everyone who gives it a listen will enjoy!

Thanks for the music jimmytammy! I’m from NJ, but I love the music of Appalachia, Blue Ridge, Smoky Mountain area. I do have a bit of trouble understanding some of the lyrics, but I agree they are a group worth listening to!

Thank you for the link.

View attachment 552404

it's "ok" The carpet is certainly bright. Not as bad as it could have been but it feels more southwestern to me than lodgey (completely made up word). I do NOT like the light fixtures. I really would love to know who these people are who think that is rustic. Do they even know what rustic is????

it's "ok" The carpet is certainly bright. Not as bad as it could have been but it feels more southwestern to me than lodgey (completely made up word). I do NOT like the light fixtures. I really would love to know who these people are who think that is rustic. Do they even know what rustic is????
Yeah it sure doesn't say rustic to me either.

It sounds like we're all agreed that the hallways needed updating. I'm undecided on the lighting until I see the hallway as a whole and not just one little part.

The interesting thing about the carpeting is it is in contrast to how they updated the rooms. Inside the rooms they removed all the textures and colors on that last refurb. In the design phase for the wilderness lodge and villas Peter Dominick took pains to determine exactly what furniture style and fabrics he wanted used. The rooms were to reflect the log cabin out feel where the owner would bring a bit of this and that home to put together the place.

Now we're looking at that feel on the rugs. While pretty, I'm curious if the bold pattern wasn't done to answer to some of our complaints here.

One more
This is my favorite song by The Chatham Rabbits. It tells a true story of a young Civil War soldier, but from the perspective of his wife as she dealt with his horrors of war. It doesn't glorify war but rather speaks of the strife of what is carried for many years after, and how it affects the loved ones too. Its titled Bugle Boy

Granny, I know you are like me, a history buff. So I especially think of you as I share this, but I hope everyone who gives it a listen will enjoy!

Jimmy...well, you're absolutely right. I am enjoying the videos/music of this bluegrass couple. For some reason, it makes me think you probably enjoyed the movie "Brother, Where Art Thou". :)

As we know, the Civil War was the bloodiest and most savage war in this nation's history. Lines of soldiers less than 50 feet apart blasting at each other...bayonet runs...and a death and casualty toll that was unbelievably tragic. It is certainly a history that needs to be remembered...after all it was only 160 years ago which in world history is very recent.

Thanks for the links. :thumbsup2

Jimmy...well, you're absolutely right. I am enjoying the videos/music of this bluegrass couple. For some reason, it makes me think you probably enjoyed the movie "Brother, Where Art Thou". :)

As we know, the Civil War was the bloodiest and most savage war in this nation's history. Lines of soldiers less than 50 feet apart blasting at each other...bayonet runs...and a death and casualty toll that was unbelievably tragic. It is certainly a history that needs to be remembered...after all it was only 160 years ago which in world history is very recent.

You would be right Granny! I have seen it once in its entirety and felt George Clooney would be enough appeal for Tammy to enjoy, but alas, even he didn't get her liking the movie. I, on the other hand, really do enjoy it and will stop to watch a few scenes with Casey as Tammy snoozes away in her easy chair.

And dare I say, as has been said before, if we dont watch out, history can repeat itself. I sure hope and pray not. That was a tragic time in America and left a lot of families torn apart.

Speaking of, 2 weekends ago, we visited with my cousin and his DW who live in Spotsylvania Co. VA, just on the edge of the Chancellorsville battlefield, and a mile from The Wilderness. He was a ranger for 35 plus years there in the 4 battlefields surrounding that area. He took Casey and I too some remote places, that only the diehard history buffs would get out of their car to to go and view. Trenches head high, and cannon emplacements stacked 5 deep on a hill at Spotsylvania, the only place in the war you can see this.

Thanks for the links. :thumbsup2

12:55 is where he starts showing BR and talking more about the refurbishment.

14:09 is where the carpet transition takes place from the existing to the possible new [if it is approved].

Carpet, walls, doors, lights are changed. Hall lighting is brighter.

He did a comparative screenshot of the two halls at 14:49.
I really like the new carpet and don't mind the red doors either. They work well together. The light fixtures are ok......nothing really stands out about them. I am so curious to see what they will do with the rooms.

Finally watched the video and before I even had a chance to react to the changes, I found myself trying not to laugh at his mixed metaphor, "eye-dropping"!

Oh my gosh me toooooo! I enjoyed to video, cannot believe how empty the resort is. Like Granny, I think the new rug is a huge improvement. I am :duck:here, but as many of you know, I was never a huge fan of the dark interiors of the rooms at the lodge. I have no issue with brighter walls, but like cozy furnishings with warm tones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter