VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 14 June 2024

I don't usually go during the summer either, but this trip was very last minute and very special.
I am meeting my son and daughter in law and my grandson who will then be joined by my granddaughter and her family which also includes my great grandson. I will be the last to arrive, but that will still leave me with 5 days to be with my new great grandson for his first trip to the world.
FANTASTIC!!

Happy Monday Groupies!

Working our way through the end of another summer. For our teachers, it is ending all too soon. For parents of school children, maybe not soon enough! :)

Looking at the month of August, it looks like we Groupies tend to avoid WDW this upcoming month. Groupie reported trips for August are:

twokats 6-12 SSR
Lakegirl 17-20 BLT / Lakegirl 21-25 BCV

So, not many spies to let us know what's going on in the World.

Kathy & Lakegirl....we hope you have great trips! :)
Thanks so much!!!! 16 days left. I can't wait!!!

Hi...Tom and I wanted one last Great Movie Ride, so we are going next week August 8-10, SSR, booked that just last week! then we are also at BLT for 2 nights before DVC Member Cruise.

I agree, that is something I will make sure and do on my Hollywood Studio day. Also on Epcot I will ride Ellen one more time.
Bobbi, if you think about it, let me know where you are. We are trying for the Grandstand area and I arrive on the 8th and leave on the 12th.

I just heard from my granddaughter and my great grandson is cutting his first two teeth. He is only five months old!!!

Tom, thank you. My daughter in law blessed us with 2 girls that are a little older than my other grandchildren, thus the reason.

Just came back to say hello :wave:, no lurking Granny! Hello to everyone! I'll let you know when we go Diane. I think it may not be until 2019. We were just trying to fit WDW into 2018, but no. We have 2 cruises for 2018 and vacation time, unfortunately, is not unlimited. But in the meantime, I look forward to it! And some day Granny, we'll meet!:)

I believe that as well, Muush. Maybe 2019 will be that time. :)

Once a Groupie, always a Groupie.:cloud9:

You've got that right, lady! :)

Sleepy
Nice changes to the front page! And I like that you kept Stan the Man in the mix of it all:cloud9:Speaking of Stan, our DD had a post on FB pop up this past Fri. the 26th, a picture of him kissing her on the cheek as they held the green WL flag as they were preparing to raise it. She had posted it previously on July 26 2011, the day he passed. What an impact he had on me and my family, and I know several others here too.

BTW, that one picture you posted with the returning Bison, just wondering, are monkeys native to the old west?? That extra character seems a bit out of place to me:D

Sleepy
Nice changes to the front page! And I like that you kept Stan the Man in the mix of it all:cloud9:Speaking of Stan, our DD had a post on FB pop up this past Fri. the 26th, a picture of him kissing her on the cheek as they held the green WL flag as they were preparing to raise it. She had posted it previously on July 26 2011, the day he passed. What an impact he had on me and my family, and I know several others here too.

BTW, that one picture you posted with the returning Bison, just wondering, are monkeys native to the old west?? That extra character seems a bit out of place to me:D
Thanks, JT! I sure wish I'd been able to meet and know Stan a little. His smile says it all.

As for the monkey, YES! I googled this article below. . .
"Indigenous to the wilds of the northwest, gooboons (Gooboonus idioticus) or goobs for short, stalk the paths among the wilderness expanses. Known for their generally calm demeanor, they're oft spotted napping, eating, listening to crickets, and watching lanterns flicker (these work especially to quieten the beast). Their habitat has been threatened in recent years by changes in the wilderness aspect of their haunts. With the reduction in natural habitat such as trees, nature trails, and grass, there have been reports of a heretofore unseen ferocity coming from goobs. One recent sighting had an old, graying gooboon ranting and wailing when his two of his favorite food items disappeared from his claimed territory. Do NOT approach them without first bringing something with which to offer as a gift. Experts in the field recommend a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand, specifically the region of Marlborough."

Sleepy - Thanks for keeping Stan's picture on page one. I know so many did not have the opportunity to know Stan, but I think if you are in the main lobby at The Lodge very late at night, you can catch a glimpse of him on the third or fourth floor balconies. I know he still visits from time to time; in those quiet times you can just feel him . . . . .

Sleepy - Thanks for keeping Stan's picture on page one. I know so many did not have the opportunity to know Stan, but I think if you are in the main lobby at The Lodge very late at night, you can catch a glimpse of him on the third or fourth floor balconies. I know he still visits from time to time; in those quiet times you can just feel him . . . . .
Well, that just inspired a change to Page 1. ;)

Thanks, JT! I sure wish I'd been able to meet and know Stan a little. His smile says it all.

"Indigenous to the wilds of the northwest, gooboons (Gooboonus idioticus) or goobs for short, stalk the paths among the wilderness expanses. Known for their generally calm demeanor, they're oft spotted napping, eating, listening to crickets, and watching lanterns flicker (these work especially to quieten the beast). Their habitat has been threatened in recent years by changes in the wilderness aspect of their haunts. With the reduction in natural habitat such as trees, nature trails, and grass, there have been reports of a heretofore unseen ferocity coming from goobs. One recent sighting had an old, graying gooboon ranting and wailing when his two of his favorite food items disappeared from his claimed territory. Do NOT approach them without first bringing something with which to offer as a gift. Experts in the field recommend a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand, specifically the region of Marlborough."

:lmao: Sleepy...Thanks for the tip on how to calm this fine spectacle of nature!

DDad...you are quite the poet this morning. Stan was a lovely man, and I think our emotional ties to WL also very much included him. I am lucky to have known him a bit.

Well, that just inspired a change to Page 1. ;)

Sleepy...your front page changes are very nice. And let me take a moment to thank you for your work on keeping the trips posted. As this 3 1/2 old version of this thread continues on, you have done a great job. I'll bet you didn't know you had signed on for so long! :thanks:

Now I'm not certain but I think the Bison is the one that photobombed the picture on the first page! :goodvibes

Kathy...I think you're right! The bison does seem to be smirking a bit! :smooth:

Let me add my thanks to Sleepy for maintaining this great thread. As someone who comes and goes from it, I love catching up with you all and the community here.
Today is my last day of summer. Tomorrow is our first day of teacher inservice. Trying to finish up some last minute things here at the house. It seems I never get done all the things I had planned to do in late May. Oh well, there is always next summer!
My DD21 got an email on Monday that she has a grad school interview this Friday in St. Augustine. So I'm missing my second day of teacher inservice to go with her to her interview. We are super excited to get the interview, and we are happy that she gets to interview before she leaves to go back to college in Arkansas. So we have 7 hour drive instead of plane flight from Little Rock to Jacksonville. She will graduate college in December, and if the interview goes well she could start Occupational Therapy school in January next year. She jokingly said the other day that if they ask in her interview why she would like to attend school in St. Augustine that her response would be, "I need to go to school close to Disney World!" She also thinks that the new annual pass discount was just made with her in mind. If she gets into grad school there, it just may be her Christmas present.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Well done my friend, well done!!
Thanks for allowing me to tease a bit, makes this all the more fun to be a part of this group:thumbsup2

He is definitely there in Spirit for many of us, and always will be. Well said Dad:goodvibes And Sleepy, thanks for adding Dads words to the front page! This gave me goosebumps

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Well done my friend, well done!!
Thanks for allowing me to tease a bit, makes this all the more fun to be a part of this group:thumbsup2
I've always been one to appreciate a good-natured ribbing. I've many flaws, but being thin-skinned isn't one of them. There is no way one could survive in the military without a healthy dose of humor and self-deprecation. In fact, I relish these small moments because, as you say, it makes being in this group all the more enjoyable. :thumbsup2

He is definitely there in Spirit for many of us, and always will be. Well said Dad:goodvibes And Sleepy, thanks for adding Dads words to the front page! This gave me goosebumps
Yep, I thought Dad's comments were particularly meaningful (even though I never met Stan) and that other Groupies and Groupies-to-be might appreciate a nod to part of the history behind our beloved Lodge.

Good Morning Groupies! Our September trip is just around the corner!!!

I've been so busy I'd forgotten I had a waitlist request for the night I added after I booked. So I'm happy we will be @ BCV for our entire stay.:yay:

In other news, I'm super excited because I think both of our sons will be joining us on our September 2018 trip! It's been several years since our oldest and his now wife have joined us. We're actually talking about trying BLT, but not sure what we'll decide.

Lastly, is it too early to discuss the BHGM (part 3???) perhaps we can call it BHGM December! There are many of us at the world in December! :santa:

Well, we are toying with the idea of going to DL next June. It would combine our 5th anniversary, my daughter's 18th BD, and her graduation. My daughter's never been, and Luv and I've been aching to get back since her surprise birthday trip there a few years ago. We'd like to either get into the GCV at 7 months (iffy) or trade with someone who has GCV points (perhaps iffier). So, keep your eyes and ears open for us, and we'd appreciate it. Meanwhile, let the planning begin!

Well, we are toying with the idea of going to DL next June. It would combine our 5th anniversary, my daughter's 18th BD, and her graduation. My daughter's never been, and Luv and I've been aching to get back since her surprise birthday trip there a few years ago. We'd like to either get into the GCV at 7 months (iffy) or trade with someone who has GCV points (perhaps iffier). So, keep your eyes and ears open for us, and we'd appreciate it. Meanwhile, let the planning begin!
I'm definitely semi planning a DLR trip. I've been twice, in 1981 and 2002. I need to take my boys there for Carsland! Just not sure when.

Happy planning!

Good Morning Groupies! Our September trip is just around the corner!!!

I've been so busy I'd forgotten I had a waitlist request for the night I added after I booked. So I'm happy we will be @ BCV for our entire stay.:yay:

In other news, I'm super excited because I think both of our sons will be joining us on our September 2018 trip! It's been several years since our oldest and his now wife have joined us. We're actually talking about trying BLT, but not sure what we'll decide.

Lastly, is it too early to discuss the BHGM (part 3???) perhaps we can call it BHGM December! There are many of us at the world in December! :santa:
We're DEFINITELY onboard for BHGM in Dec (Jerry and Tricia)...

Happy Sunday!

p1673698120-4.jpg

June is a great time to visit DL Sleepy! I was just thinking I should get my reservation booked. I might end up with some extra points but probably not enough to cover your visit. Ended up with an AP there this year (family got into the races!) and I've gotten quite a few nights at 7 months. Have a Nov stay that was all at 7 months as well as our late June stay. June is one of the more difficult times though but if you're looking at being there during some of the S. Cal blackout dates it gets easier and the larger villas are easier too. When it comes to studios though I find I'm usually using my VGC points. If your flexible I find there's also a fair amount of cancellations and it's possible to pick up villas along the way. Our June stay this year was just that - I checked periodically for cancellations and had a couple of different times I could have gotten in - again, mostly 1 and 2BR's - but that was wanting larger accommodations after some plans changed so a couple of months out. I wouldn't have been too surprised that it would have been available right at 7 months to book.

facebook twitter