VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

JT: DDad and I did the Sunset Safari one year. It was really a nice thing to do. Concluded with a fabulous dinner at Jiko. We were introduced to Mary - a rather cantankerous ostrich with only one eye. I wonder if that's her in your photo?
DDaughter and I will be staying AKL in Oct. So I should request a lower floor room?

Thanks for your report and your photos!

Di
I would ask for lower floor now knowing what I know. The views of the Savannah are way better from that vantage point.
Our ostrich actually has 2 eyes but I still wouldn't want to tangle(or tango)with him! T says the way he is pacing the little fence line, its like he is looking to make a break:drive:

Sanaa is one of our favorite places to eat. The bread service alone is worth going! In fact, we usually just order the bread service and another small side of soup or salad. Perfect for lunch.

Have you ever ordered a meal from the lounge there? I see they have the bread service, and wondered if maybe we could get a bowl of soup as well. Reason I ask, we are meeting Corinne and her DH tonight at the lounge and may just order a small meal like you mentioned.

We went to AK yesterday. I don't believe I ever felt an intense sun as it was in my life. Wowzer, it was blazing!! We rode Primeval Whirl(Dino was broke so used our FP here)EE with a FP(CaptD and I were able to step right back in single rider and do it again immediately)and met up with Will n Liz to ride KS. The most animals I have ever seen on the Savanna section! As soon as we stepped off the ride, it started sprinkling. So a torrential downpour soon followed and we took shelter under the restrooms just across from Tusker House. Getting wet, not so bad, but the lightning, it was not to be messed with. We lost an hour as the storm didn't let up for awhile. So we missed our Via Napoli ADR. I called WDW Dining and they waived our no show fee understanding we were stuck in a lightning storm. So, we ate at Sanaa for dinner, sat at same table as lunch:D Hit bed at 10:30, man I am getting old:ssst:

This is my plan for our first time at Sanaa in a couple weeks!
Do the full on 5-bread service with all 9 sauces. They arrange them from spiciest to least spicy. Only the first three have any real heat, and honestly, only the first two make you take notice. The third is only minimally spicy hot. We love to combine a sauce or two, such as the raita (sp) and one of the spicy ones.

Here's a pic of the service ($13). The hottest sauces start at the top right and go down in a reverse "U" with the raita at the top left being the mildest:

The small bowl in front is called the Salad Sampler ($8) that comes with chickpeas w/cucumber & tomatoes; watermelon, cucumber, and fennel; and Nigerian root vegetables with citrus. Luv asked for only the chickpeas, cucumber, and tomatoes which they gladly did, and it was very tasty and quite chilled, so a lovely addition to the bread service. The wine is extra (and a great match). :teeth:

JT: DDad and I did the Sunset Safari one year. It was really a nice thing to do. Concluded with a fabulous dinner at Jiko. We were introduced to Mary - a rather cantankerous ostrich with only one eye. I wonder if that's her in your photo?
DDaughter and I will be staying AKL in Oct. So I should request a lower floor room?

Thanks for your report and your photos!

Adding on to DDad's post......if you're staying at Kidani the lowest floor with rooms is actually the 2nd floor so no patios for critters to walk right in. They have to climb up at least one floor. :laughing: The parking garage is on ground level. The trees can block some of the animal views so I'd agree that asking for a lower floor is the best. At Jambo you don't get a choice - DVC is only on the 5th floor for all rooms except concierge which are on the 6th floor.

Adding on to DDad's post......if you're staying at Kidani the lowest floor with rooms is actually the 2nd floor so no patios for critters to walk right in. They have to climb up at least one floor. :laughing: The parking garage is on ground level. The trees can block some of the animal views so I'd agree that asking for a lower floor is the best. At Jambo you don't get a choice - DVC is only on the 5th floor for all rooms except concierge which are on the 6th floor.

Except for the birds most of the animals will not cross the electric barrier that is in the plants on the other side of the road in front of the rooms. The keepers have moved animals that insist on crossing the electric barrier to the park. The keepers do not want direct contact with the guests and animals, safety first.

Do the full on 5-bread service with all 9 sauces. They arrange them from spiciest to least spicy. Only the first three have any real heat, and honestly, only the first two make you take notice. The third is only minimally spicy hot. We love to combine a sauce or two, such as the raita (sp) and one of the spicy ones.

Here's a pic of the service ($13). The hottest sauces start at the top right and go down in a reverse "U" with the raita at the top left being the mildest:

The small bowl in front is called the Salad Sampler ($8) that comes with chickpeas w/cucumber & tomatoes; watermelon, cucumber, and fennel; and Nigerian root vegetables with citrus. Luv asked for only the chickpeas, cucumber, and tomatoes which they gladly did, and it was very tasty and quite chilled, so a lovely addition to the bread service. The wine is extra (and a great match). :teeth:
Thank you so much. I will check for the photos later because for some reason they are not showing up on my work computer. I just had it re-imaged and I hate what all is changed/missing when I get it back. Ugh.

Except for the birds most of the animals will not cross the electric barrier that is in the plants on the other side of the road in front of the rooms. The keepers have moved animals that insist on crossing the electric barrier to the park. The keepers do not want direct contact with the guests and animals, safety first.

I had one of the reclassified standard view studios at Kidani a few years ago and was amused at night by a vulture I believe that insisted on sleeping outside the little fence deterrants. I had a very intricate path he followed to get out of those although he still stayed inside the chain link fence. At some point in the early morning I'd guess he went back into the enclosure and at dusk he was back like clockwork to hit his private sleeping pad. :)

Our ostrich actually has 2 eyes but I still wouldn't want to tangle(or tango)with him! T says the way he is pacing the little fence line, its like he is looking to make a break:drive:
We were told that all of the ostriches on the AKV savannas are female because the males are too aggressive. So if you think your ostrich is feisty, just be glad it's a "she" and not a "he".

What's a Wilderness Lodge? :rolleyes1 If you're looking for the main thread, go to DISNEY RESORTS off the main Forums page, and it's one of the more active threads there.

Hahaha! Perhaps I meant Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, but saying that might cause even more problems...

Hahaha! Perhaps I meant Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, but saying that might cause even more problems...
Well, "Leslie," you jokester you, you HAVE found the Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, aka V-W-L. That Boulder Granite Ridgeline Villages motel of which you speak doesn't sound familiar. pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter