VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

We love taking the train but it isn't for everyone. This past trip was hard because I had a hard time having to use the top bunk this time. I think I'm just too old for it anymore. Getting up there and trying to move around in that small space was a lot harder this time. If we ever do it together again we will have to get 2 roomettes.
That was exactly the problem. Neither of us could get up, so we slept very poorly, both in the bottom bed which is smaller than a twin.

That was exactly the problem. Neither of us could get up, so we slept very poorly, both in the bottom bed which is smaller than a twin.
Oh yeah there is no way I would have been comfortable doing that either. The last train we took was even worse than the one you were on because it is 2 level so there is even less room on the top bunk.

Oh yeah there is no way I would have been comfortable doing that either. The last train we took was even worse than the one you were on because it is 2 level so there is even less room on the top bunk.

Just got notice that our train is two hours late! Leavings after 7 today.

We are and we’re on the second level.

We just changed our crossing ferry to the 7:30PM one to Lewes DE.

Its going to be an “experience “ tonight!

Just got notice that our train is two hours late! Leavings after 7 today.

We are and we’re on the second level.

We just changed our crossing ferry to the 7:30PM one to Lewes DE.

Its going to be an “experience “ tonight!
Oh I thought the east coast just had the one level trains. Good luck on your trip home. Ok just talked to my DH and he reminded me that since the auto train starts in VA they don't have to go through the tunnels and don't have to be single level like the ones farther north

Oh I thought the east coast just had the one level trains. Good luck on your trip home. Ok just talked to my DH and he reminded me that since the auto train starts in VA they don't have to go through the tunnels and don't have to be single level like the ones farther north
Oh. I really didn’t know about levels, or why, but yes,we have to climb to get to our compartment.

Fascinated by the train talk. I noticed Amtrak is refurbishing the interiors of their trains, the new coach class seats even have a kick out foot rest. Over plane travel it looks plush, granted it takes much longer to get anywhere.

I'm curious for when the day comes I decide to try rail over flying: is there a huge benefit to having a sleeping compartment on the train over a coach class seat if one is traveling with someone who will help watch your things? It sounds as though that bunk is only useful for children or acrobats.

@bobbiwoz - wishing you a comfortable journey!

Oh. I really didn’t know about levels, or why, but yes,we have to climb to get to our compartment.
Make sure you at least hum the theme song to The Jeffersons (“Oh we’re moving’ on up”) as you climb to your compartment 😜

Fascinated by the train talk. I noticed Amtrak is refurbishing the interiors of their trains, the new coach class seats even have a kick out foot rest. Over plane travel it looks plush, granted it takes much longer to get anywhere.

I'm curious for when the day comes I decide to try rail over flying: is there a huge benefit to having a sleeping compartment on the train over a coach class seat if one is traveling with someone who will help watch your things? It sounds as though that bunk is only useful for children or acrobats.

Thank you.. the people I know who have done a coach seat have said they enjoyed the experience more than we have.

Me personally I would never do coach. I could never sleep sitting in a chair like that and I have heard of people who said it was hard to sleep because of rude people. I like having the privacy of having my own room. If I was taking a train and my only choice was to do the top bunk, even though it would be hard, I would do that any day over coach. The bathrooms in coach are gross too. Plus coach doesn't have access to showers. Also in coach you don't get to eat in the dining car. The regular meals have not returned yet to the eastern corridor but when they do they are sooo good. It's one of the highlights. Having said all this though this is just my opinion. There are some people who love coach. My husband watches videos by a couple who travels by train all the time. Their channel is Grounded Life Channel. They give tours of the rooms so you can see what they are like.

Me personally I would never do coach. I could never sleep sitting in a chair like that and I have heard of people who said it was hard to sleep because of rude people. I like having the privacy of having my own room. If I was taking a train and my only choice was to do the top bunk, even though it would be hard, I would do that any day over coach. The bathrooms in coach are gross too. Plus coach doesn't have access to showers. Also in coach you don't get to eat in the dining car. The regular meals have not returned yet to the eastern corridor but when they do they are sooo good. It's one of the highlights. Having said all this though this is just my opinion. There are some people who love coach. My husband watches videos by a couple who travels by train all the time. Their channel is Grounded Life Channel. They give tours of the rooms so you can see what they are like.
Thank you for your insight. I've never been on Amtrak so it's all just hearsay for me. I would like to try it though and have played with the booking website to price out roomettes.

We did coach with 4 young kids, Newark NJ to Orlando one year. Kids (maybe ages 11-9-7-5) were free, so we decided on an adventure. Kids slept pretty well, we did not. But we slept better on way back. We met some interesting people, some from Europe with Rail passes. A large fun group heading to a family reunion. It was ok, but we didn't do it again. (afterwards we said, maybe we would but never go around to it). Kids are grown now but they all remember it!

I would not do it now, but we were younger then too!

Good morning! We are in VA, and due to arrive in Lorton at 2. We managed to share the bottom bunk, Tom probably slept more than I did, but I did.
In a late situation like this, the food is mediocre at best. We each got two cold slices of Marco pizza last night around 9. Breakfast was ok Continental. There had been a rumor that the chicken, pasta, flat iron steak or salmon would be served for lunch, but that’s apparently not going to happen.

We’re glad we did it, but we are getting older, Tom 78, I just turned 76. The car bounces around quite a bit, and I have mobility issues. Its not in the cards for me to walk around and find some folks to talk to, those days are behind me. IF we do it again, it will be in one of these compartments with the private bathroom, and we’ll make do. It was nice having our car in FL.

In 2019, we did take Princess train up to Denali, and that was a wonderful experience. I like train rides, I took a cross Canadian Rockies train tour with my mom in 1963, and we were in coach, and I have nothing but great memories!

We drove to Blue Springs SP yesterday in Orange City FL yesterday to see if manatees would be there and they were. It’s a side trip we try to take during every winter once when we’re at WDW. I STRONGLY recommend it. I’ve always been of the mindset that there’s more to FL than Disney!

E49CDA69-6A7F-456D-9326-37ECA28BF7F6.jpeg

Good morning! We are in VA, and due to arrive in Lorton at 2. We managed to share the bottom bunk, Tom probably slept more than I did, but I did.
In a late situation like this, the food is mediocre at best. We each got two cold slices of Marco pizza last night around 9. Breakfast was ok Continental. There had been a rumor that the chicken, pasta, flat iron steak or salmon would be served for lunch, but that’s apparently not going to happen.

We’re glad we did it, but we are getting older, Tom 78, I just turned 76. The car bounces around quite a bit, and I have mobility issues. Its not in the cards for me to walk around and find some folks to talk to, those days are behind me. IF we do it again, it will be in one of these compartments with the private bathroom, and we’ll make do. It was nice having our car in FL.

In 2019, we did take Princess train up to Denali, and that was a wonderful experience. I like train rides, I took a cross Canadian Rockies train tour with my mom in 1963, and we were in coach, and I have nothing but great memories!

We drove to Blue Springs SP yesterday in Orange City FL yesterday to see if manatees would be there and they were. It’s a side trip we try to take during every winter once when we’re at WDW. I STRONGLY recommend it. I’ve always been of the mindset that there’s more to FL than Disney!

View attachment 730331
My daughter would love to see the manatees! I would recommend you getting the handicap room if you go again. It would be much more comfortable.

My daughter would love to see the manatees! I would recommend you getting the handicap room if you go again. It would be much more comfortable.
Ok, we will consider that!
Blue Springs is off of Route 4, exit Orange City. The day before we went it was warm, and there were fewer than 10 manatees in the spring. So, it’s not a given that you will see many, it depends on the temperature outside. The water in the springs is always 71°.

Bobbi
My BIL and his family were in Crystal Springs, FL, near the Gulf Coast over Christmas week, to swim with the manatees. They had a great experience and said would definitely do again. Technically, they couldnt swim up to the manatees, but the manatees would come up to them. My BIL said some were the size of a refrigerator!

Bobbi
My BIL and his family were in Crystal Springs, FL, near the Gulf Coast over Christmas week, to swim with the manatees. They had a great experience and said would definitely do again. Technically, they couldnt swim up to the manatees, but the manatees would come up to them. My BIL said some were the size of a refrigerator!
I have done that! Yes, I was awed at their size!!

Is there a good place to see pictures of the renovations. We had a great gals trip in December 2019, and I want them to see what the villas will look like this December!

What’s the bedding in the living room with the renovation?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter