VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

I read an article on Epoch News just now
Sounds like Iger felt that he stepped down too soon, especially with Covid looming. He did say Paycheck had plenty of $$ within the company framework to do what he wanted to do in the future of the company. I don’t think Paycheck likes that Iger stepped back at the helm during Covid and has been a bit vocal about it. Iger has voiced some displeasure in how Paycheck has handled certain things, like his political stance in FL

I will say this…Only my opinion as a DVC owner, shareholder and fan of Disney, from what I read, see on what I feel are reliable news sources, Paycheck is a puppet, his strings being pulled by Susan Arnold, head Chair person of the Disney BOD. She has an agenda to push along with a couple other board members and is using Paycheck and the Disney Co. as her springboard.

I may be totally wrong and completely off base but studying business models through the years with a strong emphasis on how Disney has run its business since its inception, I like reading what other successful businesses do to stay that way, and apply to my own business if it makes sense for my small business

Disney has had its ups and downs through the years but it definitely has been run from the best place when Walt and Roy, Eisner and Wells, and Iger were the ones in charge. Eisner was not the same after Wells passed, and the reflection of that showed. Maybe Paycheck needs a Wells type person who can be his backbone.
Or maybe nothing or no one can fix the issues at hand.

I do feel the board needs to be changed to reflect the family values that the Disney Co originally intended and though it changed through the years to reflect the times, the best years were when Disney was a family based company and family came first
Maybe they need to re-watch Lilo and Stitch to see what I mean, Ohana means family and family comes first
Very interesting. I know I have heard some of the Disney family be outspoken on their frustration with how things are being run. Too bad none of the family has any say in the company. I really think that is needed. Sounds like Arnold needs to go.

Back from my mini trip to Bay Lake. It was fun to take someone who has never enjoyed Disney in the way that we do. I had two guests, one is a fellow DVC owner, and the other has taken a few trips to Disney, stayed in only value resorts, and goes to the park from sun up until it closes. I'm the oldest of the bunch, but we are church camp counselors together every summer, and just have a great time together. The short trip report was that I had a 1 bedroom standard reserved at BL. When we arrived at 6:15 in the evening, our room was not ready. I had gotten a text around 4:00 saying it wasn't ready. I went to the counter and a very kind woman at the counter seemed surprised the room wasn't ready and started making phone calls. She promptly said she was putting money on our account so we could enjoy dinner until it was ready. I didn't ask for anything, she just started offering. We already had a dinner reservation at 8:15 for Steakhouse 71, so we were just going to hang out for a few minutes until our 3rd party arrived. We flew into Sanford, and our 3rd person flew into MCO. Our 3rd person had landed, but it had started lightening in the area, and they would not send out the crews to get the luggage off the plane. In the end, she didn't make it to the resort until 9:15. Our room was deemed "ready" before we ever left the counter. She mentioned an upgrade, and that our room was on the 10th floor, so I knew it was no longer a standard view. We went up the elevator to find we had been "upgraded" to a theme park 1 bedroom. We loved the view and then I quickly realized it was a handicap accessible unit (8012). I was honestly not in the best of shape. The stainless steel refrigerator door was beat to death, as were most of the walls and trim. I know it must be difficult to keep these up when they are being run into by wheelchairs and scooters. We had a miniature island in the kitchen with no stools. The top cabinets were literally about 1 foot higher than the bottom counter. The paper towel dispenser was touching the faucet. I never complained because we didn't have any intention of cooking anything for the three days we were there. If I would have been there with my family of 5 for the week, I probably would have asked to be moved. We went to our 8:15 reservation just the two of us, and kept hoping that our friend would be able to make her way there. We had planned to eat quickly and then try to see the 9:20 fireworks from the observation deck. As 9:00 approached, the weather was looking pretty bad, and I knew there would be no fireworks. So we just opted to linger over our meal, and I ordered an additional plate for our friend who rolled in about 9:15. Her food was delivered to our table and we pulled her up a chair! We ended up leaving the restaurant about 10. We decided to walk around for a few minutes and go deliver the last of the luggage to the room. As we got to the Bay Lake elevator I asked if we could just go up to the observation deck to show our friend around. The CM said, "actually, it just opened back up and you all will be the first ones up there!" She also told us they had delayed the fireworks. We were so excited that we were going to get to see them after all! We waited for about 15 minutes on the deck and then they put on the show. There were some people in the lounge that had wandered out with their 3D glasses to watch them. We watched the show and then took a ride on the monorail so our friend could experience it.
Thursday we ate breakfast at Ohana (another monorail ride), stopped at the GF to shop and take some ridiculous photo pass pics with the glass slipper, which we are still laughing about. Monorail ride back to BL, then walked to the bus stop at MK, caught a bus to the Boardwalk. Shopped and ate snacks, boarded the Skyliner to Riviera (so our friend could have another Disney transportation experience), got off at Caribbean Beach, caught a bus to Disney Springs. More shopping, then back to Bay Lake. Our intention was to by at Hollywood Studios a few minutes before 7:00 for moonlight madness. Around 6:15 the bottom fell out! You could see nothing out of our 10th floor window. Lots of lightening and thunder. We waited until it just about passed and then headed to the bus stop to head to HS. Got there around 7:20 and got checked in. We walked straight back to ROTR. Waited about an hour then rode it. We were able to ride Smugglers Run, Slinkydog dash, Mickey and Minnie's runaway railway, Tower of Terror, and Rockin' Rollercoaster. We also got our snacks and popcorn buckets. They closed the park at 12:30. I do appreciate the special member events, they are so much fun! Got to bed around 1:45 a.m.
Friday, up at 7:00 and walking over to MK at 8:00 (yes I was so tired). We did buy genie plus for this day. This is my first experience with it. Since we were only going to be there for one day, we opted to pay the extra fee and give it a try. 7 Dwarves is not included in genie plus, so we headed there first. Posted wait time was already 55 minutes, but I think it was a little shorter than that. We used our first genie plus to ride Space Mountain. We ended up doing pretty much every ride in MK that day, most with genie plus. We did wait in some lines, but most we did not. Not sure I'd want to fork over the money for my family of 5 everyday that I'm there in the future, but for our purposes it worked. I did take 1 small break in the afternoon back at the room. My body decided Friday was a good day for a headache, but I pushed on and took my migraine meds and kept moving anyway. We had a great time! I'm exhausted, but I'd do it again tomorrow!

My son and dil will be in Disney next week. (Lucked into a couple of nights at VWL for them) She has a back issue (she had since young) making waits in lines difficult. I understand everyone has something, but do you think she qualifies for a DAS pass? They were going to try and get there early to hit their favorite rides, but I know the big ones always have long waits even first thing in the morning (Flight of Passage, they have never been on due to lines, and Rise of the Resistance and more that are so popular she's never considered going on)... I'm not even sure how that DAS pass works but it seems to put the person into a virtual queue as long as the reported wait time? I'd appreciate any info anyone can share as I try to figure this out before mentioning it to her. Also, she's very quiet and hates attention drawn to her, is this a thing where the user has to announce to the world that she has an issue, or is it kept discreet?

Last edited:
My son and dil will be in Disney next week. (Lucked into a couple of nights at VWL for them) She has a back issue (she had since young) making waits in lines difficult. I understand everyone has something, but do you think she qualifies for a DAS pass? They were going to try and get there early to hit their favorite rides, but I know the big ones always have long waits even first thing in the morning (Flight of Passage, they have never been on due to lines, and Rise of the Resistance and more that are so popular she's never considered going on)... I'm not even sure how that DAS pass works but it seems to put the person into a virtual queue as long as the reported wait time? I'd appreciate any info anyone can share as I try to figure this out before mentioning it to her. Also, she's very quiet and hates attention drawn to her, is this a thing where the user has to announce to the world that she has an issue, or is it kept discreet?
There’s a specific thread about the DAS pass on the disABILITIES forum that might be helpful to y’all. I can reassure you, though, that the process is discreet and confidential. She will need to go to Guest Relations at the first park she visits, tell them she needs a DAS pass, and then tell them what problems would be if she had to stand in line for a long time. FYI if riding in a wheelchair or using another mobility device would alleviate the problem, she’ll be advised to use one, since all lines are accessible to wheelchairs, and won’t be given a DAS pass.

There’s a specific thread about the DAS pass on the disABILITIES forum that might be helpful to y’all. I can reassure you, though, that the process is discreet and confidential. She will need to go to Guest Relations at the first park she visits, tell them she needs a DAS pass, and then tell them what problems would be if she had to stand in line for a long time. FYI if riding in a wheelchair or using another mobility device would alleviate the problem, she’ll be advised to use one, since all lines are accessible to wheelchairs, and won’t be given a DAS pass.
Thank you for the link, great info there.
I'll read up.

I've heard they have recently changed many things about the DAS pass. I have a friend (who is DVC) that was denied one with her child who had a broken foot. She had a knee scooter, and they said that all lines were accessible, so she was just expected to scoot around and endure the wait. Same friend a few months later (same kid), foot is healed but child now has mono, and they were given the DAS pass. I'm pretty sure she had a doctors note as well. I'd try to have medical documentation if possible.

I've heard they have recently changed many things about the DAS pass. I have a friend (who is DVC) that was denied one with her child who had a broken foot. She had a knee scooter, and they said that all lines were accessible, so she was just expected to scoot around and endure the wait. Same friend a few months later (same kid), foot is healed but child now has mono, and they were given the DAS pass. I'm pretty sure she had a doctors note as well. I'd try to have medical documentation if possible.
I'll have to defer to the folks on the disABILITIES forum, because my only experience with a DAS pass was with someone whose issue was not related to mobility. However, I've read repeatedly that the DAS pass is not issued if the guest's issue is mobility only, since that can be remediated by wheelchair or other device. Hopefully @twinklebug 's DIL will be enabled to enjoy their visit, in any case!

They will not and cannot look at any documentation for DAS. You are to explain why waiting outside a queue vs waiting inside the queue is necessary. Keep in mind, DAS puts you into the Lightning Lane, which is usually also a line, never just gets you right on. Some LL queues get long too, but should be shorter than the regular standby line. It is similar to using Genie+, it puts you on that same queue. Good luck and have fun. (my son uses DAS [not for mobilty] so I am quite familiar with it).

They will not and cannot look at any documentation for DAS. You are to explain why waiting outside a queue vs waiting inside the queue is necessary. Keep in mind, DAS puts you into the Lightning Lane, which is usually also a line, never just gets you right on. Some LL queues get long too, but should be shorter than the regular standby line. It is similar to using Genie+, it puts you on that same queue. Good luck and have fun. (my son uses DAS [not for mobilty] so I am quite familiar with it).

From my experience using Genie+ in the MK, yes, those lines can be long too, I think it all depends on if the ride went down at any point and for how long they allowed the queue to keep building up.

That's a good, and important point to note.

I'm not sure I'm buying what Iger is selling considering a lot of the unpopular things that have been taken away or added (Genie +) were developed under Iger. I think he's trying to save his legacy and potential career in politics.

From my experience using Genie+ in the MK, yes, those lines can be long too, I think it all depends on if the ride went down at any point and for how long they allowed the queue to keep building up.

That's a good, and important point to note.
Yes to what Pat said. That is how it worked for us in Disneyland. We had also heard that if they can sit in a wheelchair they won't get the DAS but was also told that with the wheelchair you can use the lightning lane. That is what happened with a friend of mine. I don't know if I'd count on that though. I was able to do everything online and did a video chat with a CM in order to get the DAS. One of my reasons for wanting one was because I have had melanoma and can't stand in the sun for long. I was told they don't do them for that reason because they can't control the weather. LOL. Well they can't control the other medical reasons either but ok. I did get it for my other reason though. When you call they let you set up 2 lightning lanes right away. Oh also if the ride didn't actually have a lightning lane they just had us go to the exit and they let us in there.

Hey folks
I want to apologize for ranting on about the whole Chapek Iger situation
I got carried away and I’m sorry
This thread always had a sort of unwritten rule to stay friendly and keep political jargon out of things, and I feel I overstepped with my post
Please accept my apologies

Hey folks
I want to apologize for ranting on about the whole Chapek Iger situation
I got carried away and I’m sorry
This thread always had a sort of unwritten rule to stay friendly and keep political jargon out of things, and I feel I overstepped with my post
Please accept my apologies
JT you are fine. I actually am the one who started it so if anything it is on me. I really appreciated your opinion and take on it. I think it is something we are all frustrated about.

Earlier this year I posted a Mickey Mouse painted barn
Well tonight as we were riding around, very near that barn we spotted this barn, albeit faded a bit, still cool to seeF5CA51A1-DC72-41B4-8693-61ED8280784A.jpeg

Attachments

• E970CE77-660E-4ADD-A4D0-6A9DE6D02EF2.jpeg
    E970CE77-660E-4ADD-A4D0-6A9DE6D02EF2.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 0

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter