VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Morning, Groupies! Although, it's Thursday, for me it's actually the start of my "weekend" the way my work schedule is laid out as I'm generally a Sun-Tue CM but often work an extra day which is usually Wed. Thus, my weekend beginneth...

In my occasional educational PSA series about working for the Mouse, I've mentioned the emphasis on customer service, how we try to make the experience for the guests as marvelous as can be, and little things such as how remarkable the housekeeping changeover at the resort is every single day. To that end, be assured the Mousekeepers and supporting staff (who might include moi) toil quickly and thoroughly to have your room prepared as quickly as humanly possible. I thought I was knowledgeable about the behind the scenes activity to prep rooms, but I only realized a small fraction of what goes on. Things that impact a room being ready: wear and tear that engineering may have to repair; guests who leave the room in shambles; waiting for runners to bring necessary items needing to be replaced such as a scarred cutting board, tarnished utensils, a broken hanger, etc.; waiting until a room inspector signs off on the room (which depending on how many rooms pop up can take awhile); and late checkouts.

The latter is the bane of housekeeping--it's common for guests to not vacate the room until right at 11 or fudge it a little to 11:30 or even nearly noon. Of course, the enhanced cleaning methods that have been used the past 16 months also play a role since every major (and many minor) surface is disinfected, mopped, or washed. That takes time, and the actual cleaning staff are assigned multiple rooms each shift. For example, one person may start with a total cleaning and new linens for a checkout of a 2BR suite which typically takes 3-4 hours, and while that person is doing things that take time (allowing floor to dry or washing the dirty dishes in the dishwasher), he/she will start in on two other rooms, say a studio that needs a full cleaning and then another 2BR that is a linen change out and moderate cleaning. Truly, the whole room changeover is a ballet of sorts, with the Mousekeepers at various stages in any given room, the attendants (a role I play) delivering needed items as quickly as possible while also attending to guests' needs, engineering fine tuning equipment in the rooms, inspectors hopping from room to room and building to building as rooms come ready--it is very much an intricate dance of sorts.

Here's a real-life example for illustration. The Mousekeeper is almost finished with a room near the back of the resort property, but she needs a replacement pillow (someone spilled coffee on one of the 13 pillows in a 2BR suite), as well as a new medium pot with lid (the old one is badly scratched from use), AND two more queen blankets. She puts in the request through an app which gets routed to an attendant (we'll just use yours truly as the attendant pirate:). So, I'm actually near the building from where the request is coming; however, the pillows are kept in a small room halfway to the front of the resort, the blankets in the linen storage area near the front of the resort, and the medium pot in warehouse which is under the main building--yes, three separate stops a long way from the requestor. As I chug along in my 5-mph golf cart, I get a request from another Mousekeeper who needs a replacement spatula, a baking sheet, and a twin mattress pad. I try to coincide my visits to each of the places I need to go to fulfill all the requests so I'm not doubling back too much; however, now I have five items to two different locations. Meanwhile, those rooms can't be finished or inspected totally until the items are delivered. As I'm riding to collect my items, a guest stops me to ask for directions to the Beach House via bicycles, and guests take THE top priority, so I am more than happy to help them and answer their questions--it's the part of my job I love the most, the interacting with guests.

Some time later, after dropping off the items to the first request, I get another request for six different items for a Grand Villa which is nowhere near where I am. So, it's off to deliver the second requestor's items, and all the way back to the warehouse and/or linen storage area. It's not unusual to have requests from 3-4 different Mousekeepers going at one time. Then, out of the blue, I get a request for a coffee maker from a guest at yet another building, and we put a premium on fulfilling guest requests' first, so I have to postpone my other requests to go retrieve a new coffee maker from the warehouse. All of that, and in the meantime, used linens and garbage need to be picked up, as well. Whew! As you can likely tell, the complexities of "simply" cleaning and turning over rooms is quite the adventure...and I love it! So, when guests say something to me, as they often do, "I sure wish we could get (could have gotten) into the room earlier than, say, 3:30 p.m., I smile and tell them that the Mousekeepers make a tremendous effort to make sure the rooms are clean for them and their safety, and that simply takes time.

Well, that was long and likely boring, but it was enjoyable to talk about! Oh, and if you do have any questions about the process or anything else, I'll be glad to answer them, as always. pirate:

Morning, Groupies! Although, it's Thursday, for me it's actually the start of my "weekend" the way my work schedule is laid out as I'm generally a Sun-Tue CM but often work an extra day which is usually Wed. Thus, my weekend beginneth...

In my occasional educational PSA series about working for the Mouse, I've mentioned the emphasis on customer service, how we try to make the experience for the guests as marvelous as can be, and little things such as how remarkable the housekeeping changeover at the resort is every single day. To that end, be assured the Mousekeepers and supporting staff (who might include moi) toil quickly and thoroughly to have your room prepared as quickly as humanly possible. I thought I was knowledgeable about the behind the scenes activity to prep rooms, but I only realized a small fraction of what goes on. Things that impact a room being ready: wear and tear that engineering may have to repair; guests who leave the room in shambles; waiting for runners to bring necessary items needing to be replaced such as a scarred cutting board, tarnished utensils, a broken hanger, etc.; waiting until a room inspector signs off on the room (which depending on how many rooms pop up can take awhile); and late checkouts.

The latter is the bane of housekeeping--it's common for guests to not vacate the room until right at 11 or fudge it a little to 11:30 or even nearly noon. Of course, the enhanced cleaning methods that have been used the past 16 months also play a role since every major (and many minor) surface is disinfected, mopped, or washed. That takes time, and the actual cleaning staff are assigned multiple rooms each shift. For example, one person may start with a total cleaning and new linens for a checkout of a 2BR suite which typically takes 3-4 hours, and while that person is doing things that take time (allowing floor to dry or washing the dirty dishes in the dishwasher), he/she will start in on two other rooms, say a studio that needs a full cleaning and then another 2BR that is a linen change out and moderate cleaning. Truly, the whole room changeover is a ballet of sorts, with the Mousekeepers at various stages in any given room, the attendants (a role I play) delivering needed items as quickly as possible while also attending to guests' needs, engineering fine tuning equipment in the rooms, inspectors hopping from room to room and building to building as rooms come ready--it is very much an intricate dance of sorts.

Here's a real-life example for illustration. The Mousekeeper is almost finished with a room near the back of the resort property, but she needs a replacement pillow (someone spilled coffee on one of the 13 pillows in a 2BR suite), as well as a new medium pot with lid (the old one is badly scratched from use), AND two more queen blankets. She puts in the request through an app which gets routed to an attendant (we'll just use yours truly as the attendant pirate:). So, I'm actually near the building from where the request is coming; however, the pillows are kept in a small room halfway to the front of the resort, the blankets in the linen storage area near the front of the resort, and the medium pot in warehouse which is under the main building--yes, three separate stops a long way from the requestor. As I chug along in my 5-mph golf cart, I get a request from another Mousekeeper who needs a replacement spatula, a baking sheet, and a twin mattress pad. I try to coincide my visits to each of the places I need to go to fulfill all the requests so I'm not doubling back too much; however, now I have five items to two different locations. Meanwhile, those rooms can't be finished or inspected totally until the items are delivered. As I'm riding to collect my items, a guest stops me to ask for directions to the Beach House via bicycles, and guests take THE top priority, so I am more than happy to help them and answer their questions--it's the part of my job I love the most, the interacting with guests.

Some time later, after dropping off the items to the first request, I get another request for six different items for a Grand Villa which is nowhere near where I am. So, it's off to deliver the second requestor's items, and all the way back to the warehouse and/or linen storage area. It's not unusual to have requests from 3-4 different Mousekeepers going at one time. Then, out of the blue, I get a request for a coffee maker from a guest at yet another building, and we put a premium on fulfilling guest requests' first, so I have to postpone my other requests to go retrieve a new coffee maker from the warehouse. All of that, and in the meantime, used linens and garbage need to be picked up, as well. Whew! As you can likely tell, the complexities of "simply" cleaning and turning over rooms is quite the adventure...and I love it! So, when guests say something to me, as they often do, "I sure wish we could get (could have gotten) into the room earlier than, say, 3:30 p.m., I smile and tell them that the Mousekeepers make a tremendous effort to make sure the rooms are clean for them and their safety, and that simply takes time.

Well, that was long and likely boring, but it was enjoyable to talk about! Oh, and if you do have any questions about the process or anything else, I'll be glad to answer them, as always. pirate:
Actually this was quite interesting. Thank you for giving us some insight into what goes on. This is something that I wish more guests knew about so they would be more understanding of how things work.

Hi! Tom continues to improve. He was walking with a therapist yesterday. He still has the drain in his side, and if it gets removed today, he COULD come home tomorrow. It’s wonderful to realize the surgery is behind him, and was successful. He texted this morning that he had a good night.
This is FABULOUS news!

I wish more people would see this. Our last trip to DHHIR, our room was ready at noon. We were pleasantly surprised and all the effort were definitely appreciated!! We never expect our room before 4pm but consider it a blessing when it is.

On a trip to NYC a few years back, our room wasn't ready until 9pm. We just always think, 'it could be worse.'

Thank you for all you do! :teeth:
Every stay at DHHIR has been amazing and you are exactly what makes the Disney difference!

Hi! Tom continues to improve. He was walking with a therapist yesterday. He still has the drain in his side, and if it gets removed today, he COULD come home tomorrow. It’s wonderful to realize the surgery is behind him, and was successful. He texted this morning that he had a good night.
Great news! And so glad the pre-surgery anxiety is in the past. Prayers for his continued improvement!

Not boring at all! I remember when we checked in at 4 pm at the WL for a 2BR villa at VWL and it wasn’t ready. The CM told me that 2BRs take a long time to turn over. So we walked around, took some pictures, and then chilled in the VWL lobby. I went back over and checked around 5 pm and the CM who was walking around with an iPad, said she was just about to text me. We were very happy with our villa. It was so clean!
Do the mouse/lodge keepers still run the dishwasher every day? That really spoiled me. :)
Thanks for your informative and detailed report. They should print pamphlets of it and give them out at the front desk when people complain that there room isn’t ready early!

Not boring at all! I remember when we checked in at 4 pm at the WL for a 2BR villa at VWL and it wasn’t ready. The CM told me that 2BRs take a long time to turn over. So we walked around, took some pictures, and then chilled in the VWL lobby. I went back over and checked around 5 pm and the CM who was walking around with an iPad, said she was just about to text me. We were very happy with our villa. It was so clean!
Do the mouse/lodge keepers still run the dishwasher every day? That really spoiled me. :)
Thanks for your informative and detailed report. They should print pamphlets of it and give them out at the front desk when people complain that there room isn’t ready early!
Good question, and the answer is convoluted (and to be fair, I'm uncertain). Here, at least, DVC members can't get daily service, only cash-paying ones can. I don't know if the housekeepers run the dishwasher or not in that instance. When rooms are turned over, they absolutely do run the dishwasher, if needed, but they empty the dishwasher before the inspector comes.

I do think folks would be a bit less frantic if they knew the level of preparation it takes to clean a room for an arriving guest, not to mention the coordination of a half dozen people who may get involved in prepping that room. For example, sometimes the housekeeper will notice that an appliance isn't working correctly, so the engineers have to come to repair or replace it. There are so many factors that come into play. But, I do get guests' eagerness to get into a room and start vacation. At our recent stay at Riviera, even though they knew we were CMs, we still waited until 4:30 to get our room. That visit brings up another aspect. We were asked if we wanted a "ready" room, and we declined. Naturally, that means we likely could have gotten in earlier than we did only we wouldn't likely get the request we had submitted. By waiting, it increased our odds, but we had to wait over three hours longer. Again, that's just part of the process.

Sleepdog25, I enjoyed learning about your workday and shared it with friends who will be joining me there in March!
One area where Disney doesn't do a good job is communication. I believe if they explained their procedures better, it would help immensely. Same goes with room checks/trash collection. When I explain to guests why I have to come into their room--and with them outside said room--almost to a person they understand. Disney fails to do an adequate job of relating common concepts and procedures to the rank and file guests. Thanks for passing along the info!

Good question, and the answer is convoluted (and to be fair, I'm uncertain). Here, at least, DVC members can't get daily service, only cash-paying ones can. I don't know if the housekeepers run the dishwasher or not in that instance. When rooms are turned over, they absolutely do run the dishwasher, if needed, but they empty the dishwasher before the inspector comes.

I do think folks would be a bit less frantic if they knew the level of preparation it takes to clean a room for an arriving guest, not to mention the coordination of a half dozen people who may get involved in prepping that room. For example, sometimes the housekeeper will notice that an appliance isn't working correctly, so the engineers have to come to repair or replace it. There are so many factors that come into play. But, I do get guests' eagerness to get into a room and start vacation. At our recent stay at Riviera, even though they knew we were CMs, we still waited until 4:30 to get our room. That visit brings up another aspect. We were asked if we wanted a "ready" room, and we declined. Naturally, that means we likely could have gotten in earlier than we did only we wouldn't likely get the request we had submitted. By waiting, it increased our odds, but we had to wait over three hours longer. Again, that's just part of the process.

One area where Disney doesn't do a good job is communication. I believe if they explained their procedures better, it would help immensely. Same goes with room checks/trash collection. When I explain to guests why I have to come into their room--and with them outside said room--almost to a person they understand. Disney fails to do an adequate job of relating common concepts and procedures to the rank and file guests. Thanks for passing along the info!
Do you recommend getting the "ready" room if available first?

Hi and Thank You sleepydog25 …
I always strip the beds (and actually kinda fold the dirty ones to stack for housekeeping to quickly count they are all there including the pillowcases.) I do this for many reasons but started the habit with young children leaving behind Lego characters and then ear pods, etc… I also am usually the first person completely packed and ready to go and have to wait for the rest of the group…So I might as well keep busy rather than sit and stare at them… also figure maybe this will be a kindness in return for the hard working housekeeping . Maybe it helps with turnover too!
I can’t imagine walking into a room left in shambles. I respect you have a job but not a personal maid ! I suspect many rooms are left with trash now because people have been eating in their rooms… etc.
I hope you never lose your positive Disney heart and worry it is a daily challenge for all castmembers. My thanks to all castmembers today and everyday.

Do you recommend getting the "ready" room if available first?
Depends. If room location isn't a must for you, then absolutely, as "ready" rooms are those that have been cleaned (some guests do leave early) but may not meet your particular request for location. For example, if you had asked for a studio overlooking the lake at VWL but were asked if you wanted a ready room and said, "yes," then if a ready room does appear, it may not actually have a lake view. As a general rule, though not always, ready rooms will get you in a room more quickly as most people prefer to wait for a room that hopefully matches their request. As always, naturally, requests are just that. Here, for instance, most of our 1BRs and studios are in two buildings, so if you request a 1BR close to the pool, chances are very good you'll wind up in one of those two buildings, neither of which is close to the pool. The assignment process, with which I'm not terribly familiar, is also complicated.

I always strip the beds (and actually kinda fold the dirty ones to stack for housekeeping to quickly count they are all there including the pillowcases.) I do this for many reasons but started the habit with young children leaving behind Lego characters and then ear pods, etc… I also am usually the first person completely packed and ready to go and have to wait for the rest of the group…So I might as well keep busy rather than sit and stare at them… also figure maybe this will be a kindness in return for the hard working housekeeping . Maybe it helps with turnover too!
I can’t imagine walking into a room left in shambles. I respect you have a job but not a personal maid ! I suspect many rooms are left with trash now because people have been eating in their rooms… etc.
I hope you never lose your positive Disney heart and worry it is a daily challenge for all castmembers. My thanks to all castmembers today and everyday.
Thank you for such a kind post! Most guests, I do believe, are conscientious and aware of all the work that CMs go through to make their experience a happy one. Now, most do NOT strip the linens off the beds, but yes it does speed up the process since that's one step the Mousekeepers don't have to do. As for the trash, yes many people eat in their rooms here as most of our room inventory has a full kitchen and there are several nearby places to get fresh seafood; plus, we have a combined 13-14 grills split almost equally between propane and charcoal, so guests frequently grill on them then take the food inside (though all the grilling areas have picnic tables, for the record). Though not part of the turnover process, one of our custodians is tasked each day to clean all the propane grills on the resort. I truly love my job--I get to meet guests who are happy to be on vacation at a beautiful resort; I'm mostly outside; and the challenges--while physically demanding and occasionally hectic--are part of what I enjoy. Rarely a dull moment and I like that! Again, thanks to you and all the Groupies for being understanding of the role CMs play to make your stay special.

We do the same. Strip beds and put towels in a pile. Never thought of folding them for counting.

We take out the trash and start the dishwasher - leaving the empty dish soap bottle on counter above so they know we've run it. We leave the room as straightened as we found it and notify front desk of anything that needs attention.

This was the recommended process from our 'other' timeshare there on HHI. Just always did it for DVC too.

Sleepy, is there anything else we might be missing that would help?

I stayed at a Hilton timeshare in Las Vegas and they have a 10 a.m. checkout!
So let’s appreciate and keep DVC better! Altogether is better

2020 & 2021 DVC and Other Vacations
If you'd like to be included on this list - please just PM me!

2020 Trips
VIRUS PANDEMIC HITS HARD IN MARCH.

There are a few trips made once the resorts open, but the protocols to stay at the resorts and go to the parks changed drastically. They eased a bit by summer of 2021.

2021 Trips
February
jimmytammy 27-6 March BLT Headin' to the World!

March

jimmytammy 6-13 HHI A mini-Groupie meet!! Woohoo!
Sleepydog & Luv 17-20 Polynesian

April
Sleepydog & Luv 21-23 Polynesian Birthday trip for Luv!
DisneylovingIowan 24-27 BWV
DisneylovingIowan 28-3 May VWL
bobbiwoz 30-6 May BCV

May
DiznyDi/Dad 2-6 AKL - CL
DiznyDi/Dad 6-14 SSR (hoping to switch to VWL)
bobbiwoz 6-19 HHI Back to the best kept Disney resort secret! More sleepy and luv!
twokats 5-13 VWL First "homecoming" in 4 years!
TCraig 9-15 VGF/BC Wedding anniversary!
TCraig 28-31 HHI Possible mini-meet w/Luv and Sleepy!

June
DVC Jen 29 Jun-9 Jul VWL

July
TCraig 10-17 BWV/VWL

August
suse66 8-11 BWV
suse66 11-15 VWL

September
Lakegirl 12-17 VWL
Corinne 17-24 BCV
sleepydog/luvvwl 22-23 Riviera Gotta love perks!
wildernessDad 30 - 2 Oct VWL WDW's 50th!!

October
TCraig 7-13 BLT/BCV

November
wildernessDad 24-26 VWL

December
Lakegirl 3-4 BLT
Lakegirl 4-10 VWL
wildernessDad 5-10 VWL
TCraig 5-11 VWL
Granny 9-14 VWL
rkstocke5609 18-25 VWL
Sleepydog & luvvwl 22-26 VWL

2022 Trips

February
Disney loving Iowan 1-10 BLT/BWV Hoping for waitlist to come through on BLT or BWV
jimmytammy 25 Feb-5 Mar HHI Back to the Low Country!

April

Corinne 1-4 HHI Low Country time!

2020 & 2021 Cruising Groupies

Coronavirus Pandemic hits in February stopping cruises.

September
twokats Magic NY to Bermuda

Again - to be included on any of the above lists - PLEASE - just PM me! Thanks!
Just saw that we will be at VWL the same time as yall!
We are staying one night on 12/21.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter