Volcano Bay Soft Opening?

twocat

80 miles door-to-door to Disney.
I'll be at Universal from Tuesday 5/09 to Saturday (leaving early) 5/13. Just wondering if anyone has heard of a soft opening at Volcano Bay. I've stalked the Disney Rumors and New Topics but @rteetz hasn't mentioned much.

I'll be at Universal from Tuesday 5/09 to Saturday (leaving early) 5/13. Just wondering if anyone has heard of a soft opening at Volcano Bay. I've stalked the Disney Rumors and New Topics but @rteetz hasn't mentioned much.
There is still a good amount of work to be done. I don't think we will see soft openings that early.

There is still a good amount of work to be done. I don't think we will see soft openings that early.

Yeah, I was afraid of that.

BTW, you do FABULOUS job on the Rumors & New Topics. Kudos!

We will be at CBBR from the 17th to the 24th of May. I was bummed we were going to just miss the opening. It didn't even occur to me that there might be soft openings.:scratchin

I know we often have soft openings of rides themselves, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen a soft opening of an entire park, especially a ticketed and charged park. I think it will be a pretty hard date on the open. The best I think anyone can hope for is a passholder preview day for 3-park AP's or something along that line.

Whole park soft opens are VERY unlikely with VB. They may have special group previews to limited sections of the park, but it'll only be that same week and invite only.

Hi someone posted a review on trip advisor this week that they stayed at CBBR and construction was starting at 5 AM:scared:. The resort desk told them that they haven't been starting till about 8:00 am. This gentleman, who says he is in the construction business, said they are probably really behind to make the opening for May 25. It is possible there won't be much time for soft opening. However, I hope there is for anybody looking for it:)

Hi someone posted a review on trip advisor this week that they stayed at CBBR and construction was starting at 5 AM:scared:. The resort desk told them that they haven't been starting till about 8:00 am. This gentleman, who says he is in the construction business, said they are probably really behind to make the opening for May 25. It is possible there won't be much time for soft opening. However, I hope there is for anybody looking for it:)

As much as I love CBBR, I think it's crappy that they've been sticking people in those rooms close to the construction and waiting for them to complain rather than being proactive about it. You bet your boots they would be moving me. Vacation is our escape and construction is THEIR problem. Not mine.

We were there 4/28-4/30, and they still had scaffolding up around a lot of the attractions. I think they're going to be pressed to open on time by the look of things.

Hi I was looking at aerial pics of the park shot on May 4, and it looks like they still have quite a bit to be done. I hope they can do it without cutting corners. Themeparx Construction Board has these.

Whole park soft opens are VERY unlikely with VB. They may have special group previews to limited sections of the park, but it'll only be that same week and invite only.

Islands and of Adentue ad soft opens. I was at the park for the first Sinbad show ever.

But, I question if VB will be ready for opening day. Let alone earlier. It seems some sidewalks and stairs aren't done yet.

Saw a nice video clip yesterday of the Volcano with all the water flowing.......looked good!

Looking forward to seeing it in September!

Hi I was looking at aerial pics of the park shot on May 4, and it looks like they still have quite a bit to be done. I hope they can do it without cutting corners. Themeparx Construction Board has these.

Saw one this morning from May 8th and it looked a lot better. Blue water in the rivers, we know the wave pool works good, all the slides seem complete. Looks like some minor work left on theming, sidewalks, and landscaping. I've even seen them testing the aqua coaster and the drop slides in videos. It looks like all of the attractions are going to be a go on opening day with at worst some minor landscaping and such left.

Been watching videos left and right, both drone flyovers and shots from Cabana Bay. I'm thinking it is going to be a go.

I wouldn't doubt the landscaping not being finished. But wow, did they knock the landscaping out quickly at SF! Might get it all done at VB if they burn themidnight oil like they did for SF.

Last edited:
I would be extremely shocked if they have a soft opening that week. Actually, I'd be surprised if they have a soft opening even one week before the official opening date.

Hi I just saw a video shot yesterday on you tube. I can see a lot more is done in just a short time.:cool1::dancer: When I looked up at themeparx construction website the title of the new picture is "Construction going on 24 hours a day". I do feel bad for people staying there if it is disturbing them. The person who shot the video showed Honu still disassembled a bit. Hopefully they can get that fixed in time.:goodvibes

Our Universal rep was telling travel agents at the end of April that soft openings were highly unlikely, although they do want to have significant testing of the electronic systems before opening day. Based on the progress pics I've seen, that sounds right. I think they'll be lucky to have large test groups in for individual slides/rides, much less full off soft openings even for those. The whole park? No way, IMO.

Again, I'm advising my folks to hold off at least a couple of weeks. Aside from the cache of being there on opening day or opening weekend or whatever, I see no advantage to paying retail prices to go to ANY park that hasn't been through at least a couple of weeks of shakedown operation. For my money it's smarter to wait until they work the inevitable kinks out a bit.

Hi I just saw a video shot yesterday on you tube. I can see a lot more is done in just a short time.:cool1::dancer: When I looked up at themeparx construction website the title of the new picture is "Construction going on 24 hours a day". I do feel bad for people staying there if it is disturbing them. The person who shot the video showed Honu still disassembled a bit. Hopefully they can get that fixed in time.:goodvibes

Just saw a video dated 5/17/2017 (yesterday). They had Honu back together and were doing test runs with dummies again. Looked like a safer trip down with the new piece installed.

Our Universal rep was telling travel agents at the end of April that soft openings were highly unlikely, although they do want to have significant testing of the electronic systems before opening day. Based on the progress pics I've seen, that sounds right. I think they'll be lucky to have large test groups in for individual slides/rides, much less full off soft openings even for those. The whole park? No way, IMO.

Again, I'm advising my folks to hold off at least a couple of weeks. Aside from the cache of being there on opening day or opening weekend or whatever, I see no advantage to paying retail prices to go to ANY park that hasn't been through at least a couple of weeks of shakedown operation. For my money it's smarter to wait until they work the inevitable kinks out a bit.

I'll be driving down two weeks after it opens and might not actually make it into the park for a couple of days after that. I hope by then that any major problems could be identified and shaken out and that a reasonable level of expectation can be determined for dealing with any other issues on my part. Looking forward to it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter