Vittles A Go-Go: Hicks on Holiday - Update 2/14/09, pg 18 COMPLETE!

DisneyMom5

DIS Veteran
Welcome to my Food Report!

Here is my index, report follows:

The TS restaurants we will visit are:
Princess Storybook Breakfast at Norway's Askershus in Epcot click here and here
pg 2 updated 10/18

Le Cellier, dinner, Canada, Epcot Page 4, updated 10/30, posts #46 here and #50 and here

Liberty Tree Tavern Character dinner, Magic Kingdom Page 6, updated 1/22/08 LTT here

Hollywood and Vine Play and Dine Character lunch, MGM Page 9, post 125 upated 3/8/08 H&V here

Chef Mickey's Character Dinner Page 12, updated 7/10/08 dinner and more dinner
AND Breakfast Page 14, updated 8/24/08, post 199, breakfast linkContemporary Resort

Crystal Palace Breakfast Page 13, updated 7/25/08 breakfast
AND Dinner, updated 2/14/09, pg 18 click here MK

Biergarten, Germany, Epcot click here to read Page 14, post #206, Updated 8/27/08

Donald's Breakfastasauras, Animal Kingdom (now closed) Page 15, updated 11/20/08 click here

Rose and Crown, UK, Epcot Page 17, upated 12/4/08 click here

The Counter Service Restaurants we visited were:
Pop Century Food Court - pg. 2, updated 10/19/07 click here
Cosmic Ray's, MK - pg. 5, updated 11/27/07 click here and and here
Restaurantasauras (aka McDonald's), AK pg. 10, updated 5/30/08 click here and here
Sunshine Season's Food Court, EP - pg. 14, post 197 updated 8/24/08 click here
Pizza Planet click here Updated 11/08/08
Electric Umbrella page 17, updated 11/21/2008 click here

I'm Sarah and I'll be your Food Report hostess.

If you're not familiar with the Hicks on Holiday, please come read our trip report -- there's a handy link in my siggie.

Our trip was from 9/16-9/27, and we planned it around the Free Dining promotion.

Some would argue that Free Dining is not actually free, because you pay rack rates for your room.
Well, for us, it is a much better value than getting a room discount.
Why, you ask?

Because we happen to have SEVEN children!

And as anyone who has kids knows, it's all about the food. And in our case, it's about the food X 7.
Not to mention, we brought along some kin folk, all WDW first timers, and they believe us to be Disney Fairy Godmothers for hooking them up with all of that free food. :wizard:

So In this post I will list the cast of characters, as well as tell you what restaurants you can expect to hear about.
I have some pics, but not for everything, so I hope you will bear with me on that. :thumbsup2

[MAJOR DISCLAIMER: Our family has some food allergies/sensitivities. Although two members avoid wheat, we do not have celiac nor are we anaphalactic to wheat. So you may notice that the two who avoid wheat will eat some wheat products during this trip. Please do not use our dining choices to plan for someone who cannot eat wheat or gluten.

I will try to point out restaurants that were really helpful in providing wheat/gluten free foods, but always check with the chef yourself! :) ]

First up:
Me (Sarah) - Mom and trip planner.
I like to think I am adventurous about food, but really I like normal stuff.
I really hate to try something new and worry that I won't like it, even if it is free.
Therefore I tend to book buffets, because they are a good way to try new things relatively risk free.

DH (John) - hubby and trip payer. Meat, potatoes, and beer. And some dessert. With coffee. That's it. That's all he requires in the area of eats.

Disney Girl - My 13yo dd. Wants to try Prime Rib this time.
Likes steak, most meats, some veggies, and doesn't really like chocolate.
:eek: [I do not know where she got THAT from?!?]

The Chef - My 11yo ds. Yes, he wants to be a chef. Willing to try just about anything, doesn't like some things, likes a good chicken strip now and again.

Danger Boy - My ds, 8. Allergic to peanuts and sensitive to wheat. Otherwise, he is a really good eater and not as picky as the rest. Happy to hear that WDW has some GF foods available.

The Inquisitor- My 6yo ds. He eats just about everything, and is always curious when the next meal is coming. LOL

Princess K - 4yo dd. Another good eater. She is looking forward to eating with some Princesses.

Bitsy - DD, 3yo. Avoids wheat. She is also looking forward to the Princesses!

Babycakes - DD1, this is her first trip. Pretty much a picky eater, who hasn't quite accepted that all food is good.

Mom - My mom, who has never been to WDW. She is an excellent cook and likes pretty much everything.

Bionic SIL - She is looking forward to not having to pay for meals, and hoping to get some good food to boot.

Stitch Jr. - our Nephew - 9 yo. tomorrow. He only eats chicken legs, chicken nuggets, chicken strips, pizza, and pbj. Seriously.

And last but not least,
Pochohantas Jr., our Niece - 10.5 yo. She likes normal, everyday, kid's food, and is also looking forward to breakfast with the princesses.

So I'll try to keep my posting at a brisk pace. :rolleyes1
And here is a picture of the group to start us off:
IMG_0198.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Its sounds like an adventure with that fantastic group! I look forward to reading your dining report! :goodvibes

Lovely family, looking forward to your reviews.

Sounds like it's going to be a great report. You had alot of people to feed each day I can't imagine it.:eek:

Ok Sarah you had me hook on Hicks on holiday so now I am going to get hooked on Vittles A Go -Go... Just reading theses just makes me wish it was December already!!! I just can't wait to go 66 more days and counting down!!!:cool1:

When I began planning this trip, I decided to work out the best days for each park, and plan everything else accordingly, including dining.
So according to all sources, Epcot was the place to be that Monday.

We knew that at some point in our trip we wanted to return to Le Cellier.
So that was a for sure in Epcot.
But the little girls really wanted to see princesses, and I was NOT interested in using 2 credits at the castle, so PSB it was.

At slightly less than 180 days out, I had no trouble getting an 8:35 am ADR, which would put us in the park before opening.

When I originally made our ADRs I was planning on a group of 15.
In between then and the actual trip:
my mom decided to come = 16,
my BIL had to cancel due to work = 15,
and my ILs had to cancel due to illness = 13.
So that's three times I had to call and adjust this ADR. :sad2:

PSB has to be secured with a credit card.
So this is one that I made sure I changed the numbers.
The rest I just left at 16, and hoped for the best.

Thankfully, it is easier to go from 15 to 16 (two eight tops) OR to reduce your numbers, because I didn't have a problem adjusting this ADR without losing our time.

We hopped on the bus at Pop Century at around 7:30 am, and we were off. NO ONE was at Epcot at that hour, except for the bag checkers, some other employees and another couple looking for the breakfast.

IMG_0166.jpg

We approached some suit and tie type employees and inquired where we were to check in for Askershus.
Apparently, they have no idea what the name of the restaurant is, because they all looked at me blankly.

:idea:

Suddenly one man brightens up. "The Princess Breakfast?"

Yup, that's the one. Sorry to confuse you by using the restaurant's proper name! LOL
:confused3

The directed us to a handy sign, waaaaay over on the left end of the turnstyles.

IMG_0165.jpg

Where we got to wait. And wait.

IMG_0167.jpg

The reason why we left so early is because we knew it would be quite a hike to the restaurant.
But apparently, it doesn't matter, because you only get to get in when they are good and ready. LOL

IMG_0168.jpg

Finally, the ticket takers arrive, and we are let in.

We walk back towards Norway, suddenly joined by a small group of people who had better sense than us and slept in an extra 15 minutes. LOL

We got back to Norway, and checked in at the podium, just in time to wait some more.
:rolleyes1

Here are the boys:

IMG_0171.jpg

They are in no way interested in seeing princess. tee hee.

And here are the girls, minus the baby:

IMG_0172.jpg

What's that you ask? Did we actually schlep princess costumes all the way from Michigan just for this occasion?
Why yes, yes we did! LOL

The little girls had gotten some for Christmas, and they felt it was essential to be dressed appropriately when meeting royalty. LOL

IMG_0169-1.jpg

That would be Aurora on your left, and Belle on your right. ;)

I had thought it would be a great idea to just slip the dresses over their clothes.
Looking at the pics now, they look a little dorky.
Especially when compared to all the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique girls that came in.
But since they are only 3 and 4, I don't think they noticed or cared. LOL

Then finally, it was our turn: "Sarah, party of 13!"

Next up: Princesses and Ligonberry Cream cheese

subscribing :thumbsup2

Welcome!

What a great family! Looking forward to your reviews!

Thanks, we like them!

Its sounds like an adventure with that fantastic group! I look forward to reading your dining report! :goodvibes

It was quite an adventure! LOL

Look forward to reading your report!

Welcome!

I love your group picture! :love:

Looking forward to reading your reviews!

We are mostly looking at the camera! LOL It is hard to get everyone organized. Thanks!

Lovely family, looking forward to your reviews.

Thanks, welcome!

Ok, made it over here, now. Patiently waiting...:rolleyes1

I thought you would! :thumbsup2

Sounds like it's going to be a great report. You had alot of people to feed each day I can't imagine it.:eek:

I was watching a show where a mom has to feed a family of 18 everyday, and I was thinking, whew, that's nuts, and then I realize that it doesn't faze me to cook for 9 anymore. LOL I guess it's what you are used to.

Ok Sarah you had me hook on Hicks on holiday so now I am going to get hooked on Vittles A Go -Go... Just reading theses just makes me wish it was December already!!! I just can't wait to go 66 more days and counting down!!!:cool1:

That's not long at all! I am excited for you!
Welcome, and thanks for reading! :goodvibes

Wow, with seven children, the free dining is a great deal for you. If you paid for the dining plan or OOP for the meals it would be :scared1: .

Wow, with seven children, the free dining is a great deal for you. If you paid for the dining plan or OOP for the meals it would be :scared1: .

Tell me about it! LOL
I got great pleasure watching them wolf down all that free food.
Hey, it was cheaper to be eating at WDW than to be eating at home! LOL
[Anyway you can justify it works, right?]

your kids are adorable!!!

Signing on....what adorable kids!!!!!!!:goodvibes

Belle and Aurora are too cute for words! :goodvibes

Thank you all! The little girls just make me happy. We waited 9 years and 3 boys to get another girl after our first dd.
And she was growing up WAY too fast. :sad2:
So she and I are really enjoying dressing them up and doing their hair and all that. :goodvibes

Thanks for reading!

We were finally being seated at the Princess Storybook Breakfast at Castle Askershus in Norway/Epcot.
They let us through the door into a line that was organized by a very stern character wrangler. That was because we were going to meet Belle!

The boys decided they were too cool to get their pics w/ Belle, so here is the pic we got (pic coutesy of disneygirl):

IM000633.jpg

Pochontas Jr. got her pic alone first, then all of them. When it came time to come to our table and try to sell us the pics, (1 8X 10 and 2 3X5 for $32???), they had printed out her solo pic as the 8x10, and the group as the small ones. :confused3

Bionic SIL and I said we weren't interested in the big pic, did they have the group pic printed big? No, but they could. At that point we were more interested in eating, and decided to save our $$ for something else.

Sarah's Soapbox: They need to add these photo ops to the photopass, and make them a little more user friendly. If I am going to spend that much on a pic, it better be a pretty darn good one.

Because we were a big group, we were seated in second seating room next to the cold buffet. All the other groups were seated in the first seating room. This was not a problem until the princesses started making their rounds.

IMG_0173.jpg

[Notice my handsome dh at the other end of the table. Notice also how the boys who are too cool for princesses, can't keep their eyes off of them in the other room! :rotfl: ]

The cold buffet consisted of fresh fruit, pastries, cheeses, cold salmon, and this lovely little spread called ligonberry cream cheese. Mmmmm.
I highly recommend it on a croissant.

Our waitress was Hege (sp?). She supplied us with coffee and juice, and she made sure the chef came out right away to deal with our dietary needs.

IMG_0188.jpg

The chef was nice, and she asked if the kids would like some Vann's GF waffles to make up for not being able to have the pastries.
I should say they would!
:wizard:
The kitchen also filled the plate with their own servings of scrambled eggs and meats.

The hot food was served family style, and consisted of potato casserole, bacon, sausage, and scrambled eggs.

IMG_0174.jpg

The food was pretty good, and filling, but I was really glad it was free, because it certainly wasn't anything extraordinary.

The princesses visiting that day were Belle, in the lobby, Aurora, Jasmine, Mulan and Ariel, who was a nice surprise walking on her land legs and not always available at the breakfast. I usually hear that Snow White has been there.
The problem was, we were just about done eating by the time Aurora arrived, and waited around not eating for the rest.

IMG_0175.jpg

My dd's and niece really wanted to meet them, or I am not sure we would have taken the time. You can only drink so much coffee!

Here we are waiting for the princesses:
IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0178-1.jpg

And here they are in all their glory:

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

They were all SUPER nice and extremely attentive. Mulan made a big deal gushing over the boys and telling them they should like her because she was a warrior. She even invited them to come see her and meet Mushu at the China pavillion later that day.

And that was it for our Princess Storybook Breakfast!

This was not our best meal, but like I said, it was filling and good.

The interaction was great, AFTER we finally got to see the princesses. But like I said about that, we WERE a big group and not seated with the other first-comers.

I probably will not be back here, but we did enjoy it, and I do recommend it for someone who wants a Princess character meal experience without having the expense of the Castle in MK.

Happy to answer any and all questions about PSB!

Next up: The Counter Service I forgot about, and Le Cellier, "Love at first Bite"

You completely crack me up! Your writing style is entertaining.

We have four kids and everybody thinks we're nuts, in general and my desire to travel to the World with the kiddies. I am going to send them links to your thread, so they know I'm not the only crazy one.

Can't wait to read the rest.
:cheer2:

You completely crack me up! Your writing style is entertaining.

We have four kids and everybody thinks we're nuts, in general and my desire to travel to the World with the kiddies. I am going to send them links to your thread, so they know I'm not the only crazy one.

Can't wait to read the rest.
:cheer2:

Thanks! Glad you are enjoying it! You're welcome at my trip report if you haven't already checked it out. :goodvibes

Not sure if I want to be the poster child for crazy -- but I think I may be by default! LOL :rolleyes1

Welcome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter