Visting the Big Apple and the Big Cheese, for the Holidays! December 2010

Loved the Macy bear decorations, agree it's really sad that the shop assistant has never had a xmas tree! especially working in a shop and area that is so christmassy!

I felt so cool when we got the little brown bags from Bloomingdales!!! all your meals sound and look really nice! I'd heard about the calorie count being included on the menu, my friend had to leave TGI Fridays in NY because of it, she's had problems with eating and it just upset her too much but I suppose that has to be balanced with people trying hard to eat a bit more healthily...:confused3

Looking forward to the Disney leg of the trip!:wizard:

thanks for all the info on the calorie counting in NY! .. apparently Macdonalds in the UK is going to start doing it this year.
In the Europa Cafe we went to for breakfast, there was a salad bar where you could make up your own.. and every single ingredient had the calories listed next to it (even 'balsamic vinegar.. 5') .. I imagined people would be in line with a pen & paper, adding up their calories before ordering! :laughing: But Swalphin, I think you're right.. we did do soo much walking in NYC (and Disney!) that there was no need to worry about calories! espeically as we were on vacation :goodvibes

My cold/flu seems to be clearing up today.. hoping to do another update later! Mickey... here we come! :yay:

Emma princess: x

Saturday 11th December

I set an alarm for 6.45am .. plenty of time for showers, getting ready & final packing!

We went down to the lobby just before 8am, there was no check out really at the hotel, just dropped our room keys in a box near the lifts.. then we met our driver & got in the town-car.. on our way to Newark airport.

IMG_0119-2.jpg

It was a beautiful morning, and (I guess as it was a Saturday) the roads were quite quiet.

IMG_0117-2.jpg

Very soon, we were at the airport! A Continental airlines member of staff greeted us & we did curb-side check in (we don’t have this in England and Steve was a bit confused why someone was taking away our luggage when we weren’t even in the airport!)
I also had a rather blonde moment.. the guy noticed we had UK passports, and said “Oh, you have a big wedding next year, don’t you?” … I was thinking “WOW .. how does he know we’re getting married, just by looking at our passports?!” …. Then realised, he was talking about Prince William & Kate Middleton … not our wedding …. Hehe!!! :rotfl:

Once in the terminal, it took no time at all to get through security – we found our gate, and then stopped for some breakfast: coffees, bagels & a fruit cup.

We bought some magazines at a shop, then sat at the gate… I loved how many other passengers were wearing Disney tshirts/sweaters.. and kids carrying Mickey plush toys!!

Pretty soon, we were boarding the plane … it was a much smaller plane than I’ve been on for a long time, and I found it to be a bit bumpy the whole way! At least it was only a 2.5 hour flight… and it obviously wasn’t turbulence as the captain didn’t put the seatbelt signs on once… just me being a nervy flyer I guess!

It was fun for us to get off a plane at Orlando and just walk straight out to baggage claim.. no long lines at Immigration this time, as we’d already done that at JFK a few days earlier!

IMG_0126-1.jpg

Pretty soon.. we were on our first ‘ride’ of the vacation..

IMG_0124-1.jpg

Monorail!

IMG_0127-1.jpg

We waited about 20 minutes for our bags, then we went down the stairs to the Magical Express check-in area… it was sooo busy! Luckily though, the long lines all seemed to be for other resorts… we only had to wait 5 minutes and we were heading outside to our bus

IMG_0128-1.jpg

We found it so nice to be in warm sunny weather again! (Although that would all change in 48 hours time!)

The bus ride seemed to fly by (think it’s because I was watching the video so intently!)

The gate!
IMG_0132-1.jpg

– our first stop was at Port Orleans Riverside
–
IMG_0134-1.jpg

Most people got off the bus here – and soon we were on our way ‘home’..

IMG_0135-1.jpg

Boardwalk!

We went in to the lobby & straight to the check-in desk… the CM gave us room 4029 .. and said “that’s a lovely room!” – then a moment later noticed the ‘Engagement’ celebration on our reservation… and she gave us the ‘Just Engaged’ buttons! She asked all about how Steve how proposed… seemed genuinely excited for us!

(I loved having the button to wear – I’ve never had more people say ‘Congratulations’ to me!)

IMG_0371.jpg

We headed to the lifts, up to the fourth floor… and along the corridor to our wonderful, Boardwalk-view studio!

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

The view…

IMG_03382.jpg
IMG_03412.jpg
IMG_03392.jpg
IMG_03402.jpg

:laughing: The wedding comment at the airport cracked me up!

Your view at the Boardwalk is so pretty! I can't wait to check out that area on the honeymoon - I've never been there before!

We unpacked as quick as we could – got changed, and headed straight out! :yay:

(looking back up at our room from the Boardwalk!)
IMG_0136-1.jpg

We’d not had any lunch (didn’t really fancy the snack packs on the plane), and it was about 3.30pm – so we just stopped for a slice of pizza on the Boardwalk.

IMG_0138-1.jpg

IMG_0139-1.jpg

While sat eating, we saw a seagull land on a lady’s head! :eek: Luckily she was ok about it and laughed …but I wish people wouldn’t feed the birds in WDW, some of them are far too tame & aren’t scared of humans anymore. :rolleyes:

IMG_0137-1.jpg

Soon we were strolling around Crescent Lake, on our way to the International Gateway.

IMG_0140-1.jpg

We stopped at the ticket booth to buy…. Two annual passes! Once the CM had taken our details, she said “ok .. your total is $1012” … and a guy behind us in the queue said “WOW!! I thought my tickets were expensive!” ;)
Then we went over to the Guest Relations window and bought a Tables in Wonderland card (just $75 for that one lol).

Then.. we headed in to Epcot!
The park felt busy, but it was a Saturday afternoon – we walked round to Futureworld, the ‘Divine’ singers were singing Christmas carols..

IMG_0141-1.jpg

IMG_0142-1.jpg

We checked out the times board.. apart from Soarin’ and Test Track, nothing had a very long wait – so we decided our first attraction would be…

IMG_0143-1.jpg

Spaceship Earth (a favourite!)

IMG_0145-1.jpg
IMG_0146-1.jpg

Next, we wandered over to Mission Space.. only a 5 minute wait!! We do the orange (‘more intense’) version of this.

IMG_0147-1.jpg

After a successful mission to Mars, we wandered over to World Showcase – to the Mexico Pavillion!

IMG_0152.jpg

We went inside the pavilion, there was no line at all for the Gran Fiesta Tour, so we went to see Donald and the Caballeros.

IMG_0148.jpg
IMG_0149-1.jpg
IMG_0150.jpg
IMG_0151.jpg

We headed outside, stopping to look at the menu at the new La Hacienda restaurant – I was thinking about it for one of our honeymoon meals, but Steve wasn’t sure if he liked the menu.

Decided it was time to celebrate being in Disney World! We went to the Margerita stand, I got a fiesta margarita & Steve got a beer.

IMG_0155.jpg
IMG_0158.jpg
IMG_0159.jpg

We found a nice bench & sat to enjoy our drinks, and the sunset!

IMG_0154.jpg
IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg
IMG_03492.jpg

We continued our stroll around the lagoon, stopping in a few pavilions to look in the shops –

(the new Via Napoli in Italy)
IMG_0161.jpg

and at Japan to have dinner, Yakitori House.. one of my favourites! I had chicken teriyaki & Steve had the shogun mixed platter.

IMG_0162.jpg

We sat outside in the gardens, it was such a nice evening.

IMG_0163.jpg

After eating, we looked in the Mitsukoshi store and at the ‘Spirited Beasts’ exhibit – found it quite interesting.

IMG_0166.jpg
IMG_0167.jpg

Carried on walking around, spent quite a bit of time exploring Morocco

IMG_0168.jpg
IMG_0169.jpg
IMG_0170.jpg
IMG_0171.jpg
IMG_0172.jpg

Then back to the American Adventure pavilion to see the gingerbread house – and buy a snack!

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

The candlelight processional was on & we could hear the singing & music, really nice atmosphere (Whoopi Goldberg was the narrator) – like last year, I’m amazed by the lines that form around the lagoon for these shows… so popular!

We did the ‘Impressions de France’ show in the French pavilion (really like this, despite it being quite dated now!),

IMG_0174.jpg
IMG_0175.jpg

then to the UK – we could hear the British Invasion band were playing, so we went around to the gardens to watch them perform their final song of the set… so lovely to see people singing & dancing along!

We walked right around the lagoon, back to Test Track – but there was a 60 minute wait still so we decided that was too long to wait, plus we’d be back here in a few days time.

The beautiful Christmas tree…
IMG_03552.jpg

IMG_03572.jpg

We stopped in Canada and sat on a bench for a while, taking in the atmosphere.. there was CM stood by the steps to ‘O Canada’, directing people to the other entrance.. they were just tidying up from an event, apparently… I wondered if it had been a wedding!

IMG_0178.jpg
IMG_0179.jpg

It was about 8.45pm by this time, time to start looking for an Illuminations spot!
We got a drink at the champagne cart (white wine for me, beer for steve)

We found a really good spot, right up against a wall..
IMG_0181.jpg

I liked this painter’s box next to me!

IMG_0180.jpg

And got ready for the fireworks!

IMG_0184.jpg
IMG_0185.jpg
IMG_0189.jpg
IMG_0191.jpg
IMG_0192.jpg
IMG_0193.jpg

(I tried the ‘fireworks’ setting on my camera this time – I wasn’t very keen on it though, actually got better pictures when I used ‘auto’ next time we saw Illuminations!)

I love this show so much… and couldn’t wait to see Steve’s reaction to the extra ‘holiday tag’ at the end!

After the amazing fireworks, we walked back to the Boardwalk.

IMG_0195.jpg

While we’d been out.. the Disney Florist had left a surprise in our room!

IMG_0196.jpg

I’d ordered Steve a ‘stocking of surprises’, they’d placed it on our bed, between the big cushions.. and he didn’t see it for ages! He was really pleased with it though.. I think he appreciates these little Disney surprises I think of. :cutie:

And then it was bed time… ready for our next day of Magic tomorrow!!! :wizard:

:laughing: The wedding comment at the airport cracked me up!

Your view at the Boardwalk is so pretty! I can't wait to check out that area on the honeymoon - I've never been there before!

hehe, I honestly thought he was talking about our wedding, not the royal one! :laughing:

I love the Boardwalk area.. I guess because it's where I've stayed the most, I forget that most people don't visit it! Hope you and Miguel like it when you go there :goodvibes

Lol on the wedding comment :rotfl:

Great view of boardwalk and hooray on getting through quite a few countries and watching illuminations on your first day/night at Disney World :yay:

TanzUnited99

It sounds like you ahd a great time in NYC! I would be thrilled if they started posting calories everywhere! It would make me think twice!

I REALLY want to stay at the Boardwalk sometime. I would love to be able to just walk over to Epcot. Seems like you guys got a lot done on your first evening!

Oh and they have those creepy characters in LA too. I took Jack to DLR when he was 4 weeks old and then we swung by Mann's Chinese Theater, and there was a Capt. Jack Sparrow there, so I got a picture of him holding Jack. The other ones were pretty bad though,

IMG_0117-2.jpg

Very soon, we were at the airport! A Continental airlines member of staff greeted us & we did curb-side check in (we don’t have this in England and Steve was a bit confused why someone was taking away our luggage when we weren’t even in the airport!)
I also had a rather blonde moment.. the guy noticed we had UK passports, and said “Oh, you have a big wedding next year, don’t you?” … I was thinking “WOW .. how does he know we’re getting married, just by looking at our passports?!” …. Then realised, he was talking about Prince William & Kate Middleton … not our wedding …. Hehe!!! :rotfl:

We headed to the lifts, up to the fourth floor… and along the corridor to our wonderful, Boardwalk-view studio!

The view…

IMG_03382.jpg
IMG_03412.jpg
IMG_03392.jpg
IMG_03402.jpg

I really like the shot you took of Manhattan on your way to the airport!

And I was :lmao: reading your story of the curbside check in! :rotfl:

And the CM at check-in at the Boardwalk wasn't kidding - you really DID have a nice view!

We found a nice bench & sat to enjoy our drinks, and the sunset!
IMG_03492.jpg

Carried on walking around, spent quite a bit of time exploring Morocco
IMG_0172.jpg

I really like these pictures too!

That was very sweet of you to surprise your fiancee with a gift from the Disney florist! What did the "stocking of surprises" include?

:rotfl2: You made me laugh out loud with the wedding comment I would have thought the exact same thing.
I bet we crossed each other's path this trip we were at the Dolphin when you were at The Boardwalk.
Luv the French film too, my dh is from France. When we watch the film we think how many of the sites we have now seen in person after viewing the movie years ago for the first time. We even have a dog that looks just like the hunting dogs in the film.
Thanks so much for posting and all the great pictures.

LOVED the blonde moment. Don't worry, I have tons of those and I'm brunette. In fact, this describes me perfectly..

50252_431132610556_3198820_n.jpg

That margarita looks amazing. I've yet to have a margarita in Epcot. I intend to do it in June.;)

Can't wait to read more!!

Loved all your amazing photos!

and LOL at the blonde moment with the wedding- that is too darn funny. I mean, the only wedding you have top of mind is yours, so it makes sense you would think of that. i have lots of those moments too!:lmao::rotfl:;)

you guys got so much done your first day. love, love, love your boardwalk view room. did it get noisy at all? could you see Illuminations from there?

We tried Hacienda this trip and enjoyed it. It wasn't fabulous, but not horrible either. We'll go back someday, but it isn't a favorite or top of the list for us. We did however enjoy the great fireworks view for Illuminations, especially since it was cold outside that night and we were nice and warm at our table!

That's quite a different wardrobe than in NYC! I bet it felt so nice to not have to be bundled up so much! :goodvibes

I love all of your WS pics! Epcot is so lovely at night. I wish I was there right now! :cloud9:

I really like the shot you took of Manhattan on your way to the airport!

And I was :lmao: reading your story of the curbside check in! :rotfl:

And the CM at check-in at the Boardwalk wasn't kidding - you really DID have a nice view!

I really like these pictures too!

That was very sweet of you to surprise your fiancee with a gift from the Disney florist! What did the "stocking of surprises" include?

Thank you! DF & I both got new cameras before this trip (he now has a DSLR one, I got a (pink) 14 megapixel Canon camera... both take really good pictures! :goodvibes

The Stocking of Surprises was a big red stocking, filled with: pretzels, cookies, lollipops, large gold coins, rice crispy treats & goofy candy.. oh and a light up pendant that said 'Merry Christmas' (shaped like mickey head).. it was worn at MVMCP later on in the trip! :santa:
I think it was about $50 - and you could have a name embroidered on to the stocking for $8 more.

LOVED the blonde moment. Don't worry, I have tons of those and I'm brunette. In fact, this describes me perfectly..

50252_431132610556_3198820_n.jpg

That margarita looks amazing. I've yet to have a margarita in Epcot. I intend to do it in June.;)

Can't wait to read more!!

:laughing: love that picture! .. usually I don't like tequila, but in a margerita from the Mexico pavilion it is fine! :thumbsup2

Loved all your amazing photos!

and LOL at the blonde moment with the wedding- that is too darn funny. I mean, the only wedding you have top of mind is yours, so it makes sense you would think of that. i have lots of those moments too!:lmao::rotfl:;)

you guys got so much done your first day. love, love, love your boardwalk view room. did it get noisy at all? could you see Illuminations from there?

We tried Hacienda this trip and enjoyed it. It wasn't fabulous, but not horrible either. We'll go back someday, but it isn't a favorite or top of the list for us. We did however enjoy the great fireworks view for Illuminations, especially since it was cold outside that night and we were nice and warm at our table!

Thanks for the info on La Hacienda.. I bet the views are fantastic from there for the fireworks!

Yes we could see Illuminations (and Wishes!) from our balcony.. I'll get to some photos in the next day's update! :goodvibes

That was the only slight problem with the BW view room... it was a bit noisy at night... it was only one night where we noticed it, but we both woke up just after 2am, when Jelly Rolls & Atlantic Dancehall close - and I guess a lot of people are walking around the Boardwalk back to the hotel lobby to go to their cars/get taxis. That's one problem with the Boardwalk, it's so well designed, I bet some people don't even realise there's hotel rooms up above the shops/restaurants.. with sleeping people in them! :rolleyes: lol
My favourite category room at the BW is probably water-view.. that way you are looking at the pools and/or canal that leads to the Studios, bit quieter on that side of the resort :thumbsup2

That's quite a different wardrobe than in NYC! I bet it felt so nice to not have to be bundled up so much! :goodvibes

I love all of your WS pics! Epcot is so lovely at night. I wish I was there right now! :cloud9:

Hehe .. I was so excited to put on cropped jeans & flipflops when we got to Disney! (although, you'll notice as the days go by, we're wearing more & more layers.. then back to shorts again by the last day!)
I love WS too, it's so relaxing to stroll around - don't even have to do any attractions, just take in the music & atmosphere! :cloud9:

I'm glad some of you agreed that the wedding comment at the airport was easy to misunderstand! I mean, William & Kate did kinda copy us by getting married in 2011 :rolleyes1 lol - one of my friends is actually getting married (in Windsor) on April 30th this year, so she is a bit annoyed that the royal wedding will be stealing her thunder a little that weekend! :bride:

Hope everyone's having a good Monday!

I loved your NYC TR, makes me feel like we defo have to go one day :goodvibes

Yay you've arrived at Disney :yay: and had a good first day. Glad Steve loved the surprises from Disney Florist :)

Glad you loved your stay in NYC!! And yes-- going through an airport is MUCH nicer when you don't have to go through customs! LOL-- at the wedding comment! I definitely would have thought the same thing you had! The energy in England must be crazy now because of the royal wedding! I love that the country gets a holiday day off from work/school.
The Boardwalk is the DVC resort I'm most interested in-- never really been in that area, always wanted to. Jellyrolls seems like a lot of fun! Your view was great!
Your picture of the Epcot Christmas tree is great-- so beautiful!

Loving the pictures so far. You guys are real troopers and got a lot done in NYC especially with how cold it was. What was your favorite thing in NY? Aren't those Mickey and Minnie's freaky? They stand by my job in the summer and I always get creeped out. There was a whole thing about them on the news a few weeks ago that they are not from an agency just immigrants trying to make money. :rotfl: How is Jenny? I have not head from her in a while. If you speak to her tell her hi and congrats on the baby!!! That is so exciting. That wedding comment was hilarious! I would had done the same thing. Looks like Disney was a lot of fun. I went to the Boardwalk for the first time this past trip and it is really nice. I never realized how close it is to Epcot. Looking forward to reading more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter