VIP tour at Universal?

Wilcojoe

Mouseketeer
Looking to visit for our first time on Thurs 3/10 and was wondering if anyone has any insight on this?

No idea what it's like in COVID but we went in early 2019 and it was super fun! Totally worth the cost for the morning tour, front of line passes for the day and a great lunch. Universal isn't very big so the vip tour gave us one really long, fantastic day.

Done 3 of these, we weren’t as happy with the last one in early Jan 2020. We were with a smaller group (2 of us and a family of 5) and started around 30 mins after park opening. They merged us with another large group for the tram tour (close to 20 people) so the tram was packed and they seemed to take their time. The tram tour took over 2 hours with getting the large group around, we didn’t visit any of the studios, didn’t get to walk around the Bates motel and they took us to the furniture dept in the props area which is pretty dull. Getting out at the Clock Tower is great but we didn’t need to be there for 40 mins. Additionally, VIP guests used to get the opportunity to be in the the sfx/foley show but that’s gone now. Been selected to be in those “demonstrations” was the highlight of my previous 2 tours and sadly no longer an option. Can’t remember what they do have in place of that show (if anything) but whatever it was, it wasn’t that memorable
So that put us way behind.
We then split back off into our smaller group and did the usual line skipping but about 60-70 mins before park close, we still had Mummy, animal actors and Simpsons to do. As we were just sitting around waiting for one of our party (there was a lot of that), we thanked the guide and left the tour. So the front of line pass wasn’t much use for us.
So it took too long for our taste (close to 7 hours) and we still hadn’t done everything. Previous tours had been done in about 6 hours, we saw more and still had a couple of hours for browsing, RE-rides and shopping at the end of the day.
For a first time visitor, it may still be worth it as I think we were a little unlucky with a slow group, the merging of the tram tour, only seeing the most boring floor in the prop warehouse (probably due to the extra large group) and a relatively inexperienced guide. We wouldn’t do it again though as Universal is easy enough to do on your own and the “extra” backstage stuff wasn’t worth it to us last trip.

Good info. Apparently there is also a private tour now for an additional charge that we’re waiting to get pricing info on from our Disney travel person that is planning our trip. Sounds like they may have “watered down” the standard VIP tour.
The crows maps don’t show it as being that busy the day were there (ghost town in fact) but that’s not always a true indicator. But being this will be our first visit, it would be nice to have a guide versus going about it by ourselves.

I’d say they‘ve definitely watered down the group VIP tour based on past experiences. Pricing seemed comparable to previous tours in the last few years. It was still a nice way to visit, just not as special or as good a value as previously. For up to 5 people it’s $3100 at Universal Orlando for the private VIP tour plus park tickets (so near enough $4K) which seems a bit exxy to me. USH would have to be half that price for it to be worth it to me. Express Passes would be my preferred upcharge at USH in the future.

I know @sjmac42 did not get to all of the rides on their last tour; however, do you usually do all of the rides? What about the shows? Which are included? This will be our first visit to Hollywood. It will be in June, probably a weekend day. Based on the pricing of tickets, EP, and the VIP tour, it looks to be a moderately busy day. Thanks

on my last tour in december 2021, we didn't do all the attractions, but the ones we missed (The panda movie, the bird show, and Minions) were all not important (except for minions). after the tour ended, we did the minions using the vip pass. We also did Mummy ride twice, and we did Ollivander's Wand fitting show as well (which we asked for last minute).

Typically, you do one of the shows with the group, unless your group for some reason wants to do more, they are flexible. I recommend you do Waterworld, it is the best show.

In theory, almost everything the VIP tour guide can get you in faster except the following:

1) Restaurants
2) Shopping
3) Character meet and greets
4) Special events (like the stuff at Grinchville, which are mainly character meets)

on my last tour in december 2021, we didn't do all the attractions, but the ones we missed (The panda movie, the bird show, and Minions) were all not important (except for minions). after the tour ended, we did the minions using the vip pass. We also did Mummy ride twice, and we did Ollivander's Wand fitting show as well (which we asked for last minute).

Typically, you do one of the shows with the group, unless your group for some reason wants to do more, they are flexible. I recommend you do Waterworld, it is the best show.

In theory, almost everything the VIP tour guide can get you in faster except the following:

1) Restaurants
2) Shopping
3) Character meet and greets
4) Special events (like the stuff at Grinchville, which are mainly character meets)

Awesome! Thanks! It sounds like you can still access front of the line for attractions even after tour. Is that correct?

Also, how long does it last? I saw different start times. Is it a specified amount of time or just until the park closes? Universal's site doesn't say. Thanks

Sorry for any confusion.

Once you leave the tour, you can use the vip pass you get, but it functions as a normal Universal Express Unlimited pass when you are not with your guide (so you can ride anything as much as you want, but you have to wait in the Universal Express queue. I.e. it's not front of the line.

The tour itself (when you are with your guide) lasts about 6-7 hours, including lunch. The guide will leave you, and you can continue to use the park and the universal express lines.

Sorry for any confusion.

Once you leave the tour, you can use the vip pass you get, but it functions as a normal Universal Express Unlimited pass when you are not with your guide (so you can ride anything as much as you want, but you have to wait in the Universal Express queue. I.e. it's not front of the line.

The tour itself (when you are with your guide) lasts about 6-7 hours, including lunch. The guide will leave you, and you can continue to use the park and the universal express lines.
Thank you so much!

We are scheduled to do the VIP tour on 3/10 so I will report back on it when we return.
I will watch for that with interest as I really hope our last one was an aberration. If they try to merge your group with another large group for the tram tour, say no. That was what put us behind, there were too many people on the “private” tram. 10-12 people is fine, approx 25 (our group plus the nearly 20 people in the other group) isn’t.

I will watch for that with interest as I really hope our last one was an aberration. If they try to merge your group with another large group for the tram tour, say no. That was what put us behind, there were too many people on the “private” tram. 10-12 people is fine, approx 25 (our group plus the nearly 20 people in the other group) isn’t.
Great to know! I will definitely push back on that if it occurs. Thanks!

Ive done the vip tour about 3 or 4 times at universal Hollywood, and each time they joined two groups together on the tram portion. I think that is standard. I am not sure if you can stop that from happening. The last time we were there in December 2021, we didn’t do anything extra special, so I agree with you there. The first time I did a vip tour must have been at least 5 years ago, and we definitely saw more stuff than the last time. We also spent a good amount of time at the clock tower.

My first VIP Tour was nearly 20 years ago and I was on the clock tower been electrocuted, ripped apart by a Yeti and had my arm cut off as part of the SFX show. Next one (8-10 years ago) I was in the DeLorean been chased. Both those we also saw the hand props and costume warehouses, much more interesting than the furniture level and visited a sound stage. Last one got none of that and certainly the first time they merged 2 groups on the tram tour. If that’s standard practice now it’s a shame. Just make sure they don’t waste too much time around the prop warehouse and clock tower, 30-45 mins there is plenty of time there.

Since this is our first VIP tour, what would you guys think is reasonable tip for the guide?
For private RIP tours in Orlando (Halloween Horror Nights VIP tour), I tip about 20% minimum for the cost of the tour, pre-discount if there is one. Some people have just done $50/person on the public RIP tours, which is comparable to the VIP tour in Hollywood.

We just did the VIP tour today and felt it was definitely worth it for a first time visit, even though overall we were underwhelmed by the rides at Universal. To us the highlight was the exceptional food and the fact that we were first timers so it was really nice having a guide to show you around. It really wasn’t that busy so I think most people would be ok just doing the express pass. I just don’t see this as a park that we would return to as we really only felt there were 3 memorable rides (HP Forbidden Journey, The Mummy and Jurassic World). The tram tour was great, we didn’t do see the clock tower or visit any sets so that was disappointing but we didn’t really know any better. If they would have given us a to go box for the amazing desserts, it would have taken it to another level. In the end the food stole the show, which for some might be reason to want to skip the VIP tour if that’s not important to you.

glad you enjoyed your tour. The food and the tram tour are the main reasons to do the VIP tour, I agree.

What did you see on the tram tour, if you didn't see any sets?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter