• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Video Chat

Maybe I've misunderstood...

The 2 Advanced Planning rides that you can schedule with DAS come from the Genie+ list. These rides are scheduled -- it seems like they offer 10am, 12noon or 5pm time slots. The Individual $LL rides are not included in the Advanced Planning.

You can use DAS as usual once in the park. You do not need to use the rides scheduled with Advanced Planning first, or at all (you can allow those to expire).

You can use DAS for the Individual $LL attractions. It will be a return-time comparable to the standby wait.

I'm not sure what you mean about have to do Pan and Pooh first. It is encouraged to purchase Genie+ to use with DAS, similar to how one could use FP+ with DAS. You are also welcome to pay for the Individual $LL attractions if you prefer a set time to ride, rather than tie up the DAS with a long standby wait. The only $LL ride that is not currently available standby is Remy - all guests must obtain a Boarding Group first; DAS can then be used once your group is called.
Let me explain what I meant:
Having made those two selections, you are told you can’t schedule another return time once you have redeemed those two. In my example, out hypothetical family picked Peter Pan and Pooh at the Magic Kingdom. Sure, you can cancel them, but that’s sort of defeating their purpose. So, in our hypothetical family, the DAS holder also really wants to ride Space Mountain. The options available are:
A)Standby
B)Waiting after completing their pre selected rides
C)Asking for a return time at Space Mountain, foregoing your previous selections completely
D)Purchasing a $LL return time
Option A is a no go, B is doable as is C, but what if this person reeeally wants to go on Space Mountain first? In some cases ( and I’m drawing from personal experience here) the DAS holder won’t be able to grasp that they need to go on Pan and Pooh first, and/or can’t wait. So that only leaves option D for our hypothetical family.

That’s what I meant by saying Disney is gently nudging some people towards an ILL purchase. Specially if you get on MDE and the time slots available for purchase are sooner than what the return time might get you with DAS? You still have the other options, but in many cases, such as with children on the autism spectrum, waiting isn’t always one of them. And it’s absolutely the same case if one of the rides the DAS holders wants is on Genie+, it just might be easier to get it for the day, just to get on the ride faster, or just so that it “feels” faster, and complement it with the return times issued with the DAS, but you are still paying money you weren’t before. All this to say that some of us seasoned DAS families might say, “I won’t ever use the new service, no need to worry, DAS is enough” but we might be caught by surprise!

What a mess. I go next week so need to get through in the next few days. I cannot wait hours right now so I’m waiting till later after work. Hopefully they won’t close the chat early like last night.

Having made those two selections, you are told you can’t schedule another return time once you have redeemed those two.
This isn't true. Your day-of DAS return times are not impacted by the Advanced selections you can book when you pre-register.

However, there absolutely may be occasions that one would purchase an I$LL -- if the standby is 3 hours and you want to be doing something else later, you may be able to get a ride scheduled sooner by paying for it. That would depend on demand that day.

In the first announcements, it looked like only 2.
It was later clarified to 2 per day

It‘s been confirmed that guests using DAS Advance Selections DON‘T need to use those before making or using DAS Return Times.
The DAS Advance Selections have a start time and a 1 hour window to use them. If not used during that time, they expire and are ‘lost’.
DAS Return Times have a start time, but can be used any time after that until the park closes.
lanejudy already answered the question about Individual Lightning Lane attractions (ILLA).They are NOT part of the choices for DAS Advance Selections. DISNEY has indicated the ILLA will have either a Standby Line OR a virtual queue/Boarding Group.
If the attraction has a Standby Line, DAS guests could get a Return Time based on the current posted wait time.
If the attraction is using virtual queue/Boarding group, DAS guests would need to get a virtual queue/Boarding Group spot, the same as other guests. Once that group is called for boarding, they would use DAS to enter the attraction.
The DAS Advance Selections have a start time, which guests choose when completing their video DAS Registration call/video.
They have a 1 hour window to use.
The attraction and time choices are » subject to availability« so your first choice may not be available.
Genie has a lot of historical data regarding which attractions are busiest when for every date. My guess is that the « subject to availability » might be

This is a GUESS -
if you have been in the system before OR put in a reservation number, the system MAY be pulling some/most of the information from the form from your existing record.

You’ve never “had” to use your return times, you could just go to the next attraction and cancel the pending ones. It’s interesting to see that your pre selected ones now can expire, like the old FP+ return windows. I guess it makes sense since now you have two instead of just one? Makes me feel somewhat uneasy though, to be that tied to the schedule

This isn't true. Your day-of DAS return times are not impacted by the Advanced selections you can book when you pre-register.

However, there absolutely may be occasions that one would purchase an I$LL -- if the standby is 3 hours and you want to be doing something else later, you may be able to get a ride scheduled sooner by paying for it. That would depend on demand that day.
So, if I have those two pre selected rides, I can go to the park and ask for another without cancelling those? If you can’t, then your day-of return times are absolutely being impacted by your pre selected times, albeit indirectly.
My overarching point, that builds up on your last comment, is to not be surprised if DAS families end up purchasing more Genie+ and I$LL than we had imagined, out of sheer dynamics at the parks from now forward.

Let me explain what I meant:
Having made those two selections, you are told you can’t schedule another return time once you have redeemed those two. In my example, out hypothetical family picked Peter Pan and Pooh at the Magic Kingdom. Sure, you can cancel them, but that’s sort of defeating their purpose. So, in our hypothetical family, the DAS holder also really wants to ride Space Mountain. The options available are:
A)Standby
B)Waiting after completing their pre selected rides
C)Asking for a return time at Space Mountain, foregoing your previous selections completely
D)Purchasing a $LL return time
Option A is a no go, B is doable as is C, but what if this person reeeally wants to go on Space Mountain first? In some cases ( and I’m drawing from personal experience here) the DAS holder won’t be able to grasp that they need to go on Pan and Pooh first, and/or can’t wait. So that only leaves option D for our hypothetical family.

That’s what I meant by saying Disney is gently nudging some people towards an ILL purchase. Specially if you get on MDE and the time slots available for purchase are sooner than what the return time might get you with DAS? You still have the other options, but in many cases, such as with children on the autism spectrum, waiting isn’t always one of them. And it’s absolutely the same case if one of the rides the DAS holders wants is on Genie+, it just might be easier to get it for the day, just to get on the ride faster, or just so that it “feels” faster, and complement it with the return times issued with the DAS, but you are still paying money you weren’t before. All this to say that some of us seasoned DAS families might say, “I won’t ever use the new service, no need to worry, DAS is enough” but we might be caught by surprise!
Why do you keep saying that you can't get a return time until you use the two pre-selections? That is incorrect, as the two are unrelated.

So, if I have those two pre selected rides, I can go to the park and ask for another without cancelling those? If you can’t, then your day-of return times are absolutely being impacted by your pre selected times, albeit indirectly.
My overarching point, that builds up on your last comment, is to not be surprised if DAS families end up purchasing more Genie+ and I$LL than we had imagined, out of sheer dynamics at the parks from now forward.
Yes, you can go to the park and get a DAS return time without any effect on your two pre-selections.

I agree that DAS families will end up purchasing Genie+ much of the time, because they're used to using FP+ in conjunction with the DAS, which will only be possible now if you pay for it.

@TioAdis78 - I just wanted to point out that the “how-to” video Disney posted for the new DAS system clearly shows making a “DAS Return” time (BTMR) well before that of their selected “DAS Advance” time (Peter Pan) scheduled for later that day. It should work exactly like our old FP’s + DAS did- they are totally separate and do not impact one another. What you cannot do is have more than one active “DAS Return” time… which we couldn’t do before. Happy planning!!

99C9664F-8520-4D1E-9BFA-A0C9069F1234.jpeg

Yes, I
Why do you keep saying that you can't get a return time until you use the two pre-selections? That is incorrect, as the two are unrelated.
Yes, I stand corrected on that one. I guess it sounded like too much of a good thing, asking for a return time while holding your two pre selected ones? Even typing it now, seems unbelievable to me!

@TioAdis78 - I just wanted to point out that the “how-to” video Disney posted for the new DAS system clearly shows making a “DAS Return” time (BTMR) well before that of their selected “DAS Advance” time (Peter Pan) scheduled for later that day. It should work exactly like our old FP’s + DAS did- they are totally separate and do not impact one another. What you cannot do is have more than one active “DAS Return” time… which we couldn’t do before. Happy planning!!

View attachment 612809

I am actually quite pleased with this part of it and wasn’t expecting it at all!

I am actually quite pleased with this part of it and wasn’t expecting it at all!
I agree- I was concerned the way things were worded when they first introduced it. Thankfully, it looks like all positive changes!! ☺️ I mean, would I like our “advance selections” to have more than a 1-hr window before expiring?? Sure!! But it’s the same as FP’s were… so I can’t complain 😉

Finally talking to Rick, at 1:39pm ... was waiting since 7:03am!
At least you finally got a human!! Yay! 🎉

I’m not wanting to wait in that queue one bit… :badpc: and I definitely want to give those traveling soonest (like @StaciMay) a better chance at the chat, but my trip is only in 3 weeks… so, I’ll be in the same boat soon enough (and probably the longer I wait- the more people will realize it’s open- and the waits will get even worse!!) :faint:
Best of luck to everyone!!! pixiedust:

At least you finally got a human!! Yay! 🎉

I’m not wanting to wait in that queue one bit… :badpc: and I definitely want to give those traveling soonest (like @StaciMay) a better chance at the chat, but my trip is only in 3 weeks… so, I’ll be in the same boat soon enough (and probably the longer I wait- the more people will realize it’s open- and the waits will get even worse!!) :faint:
Best of luck to everyone!!! pixiedust:
I'm in the same boat. I'm traveling Thanksgiving week. Part of me wants to call right at my 30-day mark so that I can get it taken care of and hopefully get the attractions I want at the times I want, but the other part of me is dreading that wait! Is it too much to hope that it'll be better by then? LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter