VGF direct or any future restricted resorts?

KalamityJane

DIS Veteran
Debating on just getting VGF direct even though we’d really like CFW or VDH. I think being able to sell it down the line will help vs restricted points.

OR buy just what we need resale at any restricted resort?

We do not currently have a blue card and we like to stay all over (DLR, WDW and HI)

I should probably add that we are 2 bedroom people (7 in the family, plus sometimes grandparents/aunts/uncles).

Debating on just getting VGF direct even though we’d really like CFW or VDH. I think being able to sell it down the line will help vs restricted points.

OR buy just what we need resale at any restricted resort?
Why on earth would you buy something that you didn't love just because you may sell it down the line!? No, vacations are about enjoyment. Buy where you want to stay or if you want to make money, invest in the stock market or real estate portfolio. If you are going frequently to DL then definitely buy VDH because there's no gaurantee Grand Flo will get you in there when it's sold out. If the new cabins interest you then wait for them. Where you own/stay makes a big difference to your trip.

If you buy something you don't love, you make grave error and it will forever be a regret (irony being, you may even want to sell it because it's not what you wanted).

I turned down CCV direct (unrestricted) because I didn't want to compete for studios in Fall. I bought Riviera which gives me more flexibility in booking. It's restricted. I love staying there. I'm happy, which was really the entire point. 😀 In fact, it really doesn't matter if my points are restricted/direct/resale because I bought where I'm going to stay each and every time.

Last edited:
The cabins will be a niche product like VDH - I think resale value will hold up even with restrictions as people will buy for that resort - but you would want 2 cabins so the point chart may get in your way.

I think not buying what you might want for some potential resale difference down the line might not make the best sense.

Look what has happened in the past 6 months. ROFR, stopped, economy is different, and resale prices have corrected from highs in 2022 and people who bought in the last year at pretty much every resort is losing money.

Now add the current incentives happening and the MB program and buying direct is a lot more attractive which could depress the resale market even more.

Point is there are just too many variables that impact value and restrictions is just one of them.

To be fair, I don’t think anyone should use resale value as part of the decision making process and that if one can sell later and get any purchase price back, it’s a bonus.

I’d buy where you would be happy.

I did break up my VDH into 2 contracts just in case I felt like selling later, but restrictions weren’t a big part of my decision making at all. I wanted home resort advantage at VDH so that’s where I bought. I honestly don’t think it’ll be too hard to sell small point contracts for VDH in the future anyway with just 2 DVC resorts at DLR. If I was in your position I think I would still rather buy direct at a resort I do want to stay often and that way I have access to what I wanted and also unrestricted access to all future resorts. I’m sure it can be done, but juggling multiple restricted single resort resale contracts sounds stressful.

Pop a look at the VDL chart for 2BRs. This is a 100,000 discussion (direct) vs 50,000 discussion (SSR resale) for the amount of points this is going to take. 2BRs are very, very spendy.

The question is whether being able to stay at RIV+ is worth 50K to you. Or, whether you think you can make it work with SSR points.

Especially if you plan to sell, buying this many points direct is a big commitment.

I would buy where you want to stay. I was so annoyed when DVC announced VDH’s resale restrictions, though I knew it was likely after Riviera. I have no plans to sell, but if I ever want to sell, I will probably lose quite a bit of money. I thought about buying direct Aulani or VGF, so I didn’t have resale restrictions, but ultimately decided to buy at VDH because that is where I want to stay and I need the 11 month booking window.

I would recommend splitting up your contracts if you decide to buy enough points for 2 bedroom stays. It will be easier to sell small contracts and the price point is always higher. I think it cost an additional $350 to split my contract.

I wanted to become a DVC member for a few years and VGF helped me make a decision to join now (as in a couple of weeks ago). I love the Grand Floridian, and although I do want to stay at all resorts, the potential resale value of VGF counted a lot for me to make the decision to join DVC.
I really like the Riviera too so when I'm ready to buy more points I will probably get Riviera

Buy enough points to stay where you want to stay every 2-3 years. Are you going to stay at VDH every year or only every other? We have decided our approach will be to buy smaller contracts at the resorts we are drawn to even if it means paying full price per point. The small amount of savings isn’t worth it for us when you have to spend a lot more to get those savings. Also means we will still want to add on at new resorts but not be able to afford the initial purchase and/or the maintenance fees.

We aren’t really drawn to VGF and stylistically aren’t drawn to RIV but ended up buying 100 pts at RIV and 50 at VDH. Ultimately love the skyliner and think we will enjoy the compact footprint of RIV and are interested in CFW. Felt like having an Epcot area resort would balance CFW especially since CFW will be where we stay during Halloween/Christmas party trips. Also buying at Poly 1 or 2 in the future isn’t out of the question for us. As for VDH we will probably only visit DL every other year for 2-3 nights or a couple nights on our way to AUL. 50 points to bank and borrow work for that.

Why on earth would you buy something that you didn't love just because you may sell it down the line!? No, vacations are about enjoyment. Buy where you want to stay or if you want to make money, invest in the stock market or real estate portfolio. If you are going frequently to DL then definitely buy VDH because there's no gaurantee Grand Flo will get you in there when it's sold out. If the new cabins interest you then wait for them. Where you own/stay makes a big difference to your trip.

If you buy something you don't love, you make grave error and it will forever be a regret (irony being, you may even want to sell it because it's not what you wanted).

I turned down CCV direct (unrestricted) because I didn't want to compete for studios in Fall. I bought Riviera which gives me more flexibility in booking. It's restricted. I love staying there. I'm happy, which was really the entire point. 😀 In fact, it really doesn't matter if my points are restricted/direct/resale because I bought where I'm going to stay each and every time.
Just to confirm about riviera- I know this is a rookie question- if you buy resale at another resort can you use those points at Riviera? I know riviera resale you can only use at riviera.

Just to confirm about riviera- I know this is a rookie question- if you buy resale at another resort can you use those points at Riviera? I know riviera resale you can only use at riviera.
If you buy resale now, you cannot use your points at Riviera or the Villas at Disneyland Hotel. If you buy resale Riviera, you can only use it at Riviera, and the same thing goes for Villas at Disneyland Hotel.

Basically, resale points bought since Jan 2019 are restricted from RIV, VDH and presumably all future resorts. Both VDH and RIV resale points are only good at their home resorts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter