Very odd interaction at lamplight as a solo

My sister and I had a couple of uncomfortable meals at LLL, which is one reason why we avoid it when it's just the 2 of us. We weren't seated at the bar, but in spite of our reservation, they kept seating others who came in later (we think as walk-ins) or had later reservations. They just left us hanging with no explanation and when we tried to get someone's attention, we'd be told as they were walking off that someone would be with us shortly. When were finally seated, it was at a crowded little table against a wall, but ok, we got a table. However, the service was just terrible, and we were left with the distinct impression that they just wanted us to leave. We were almost completely ignored.

The second time we were seated quickly but no one came back to take our order. We wanted to order a fancy drink but we were never given menus or asked if we wanted to order. We finally asked a server passing by if he could find our server and eventually someone came by and said he'd be back shortly. He never came back and we gave up and left.

I've had other visits that were fine, but I was with a larger group. I generally avoid LLL unless I'm with a group that wants to go. I assume they don't like the looks of my sister :rotfl:
I’m curious as to your general age. As a 60-something woman I sometimes feel invisible. The upside—they don’t see us coming!

I definitely think they should ask if one is okay sitting at the bar.

Neither my spouse nor I drink alcohol. We've been sat at the bar at both LLL and at Carthay Circle. We're looking for lunch, not drinks The bartenders always seem confused when all we want to drink is water.

Yeah, I don't drink and I usually hate sitting at the bar. The fact is, and I don't know how or why, but I am invisible to bartenders. They simply cannot see me! In any situation where I need to order at a bar, interact with a bartender, etc. I can never get their attention - even when sitting there. The entire system of ordering at a bar is so chaotic to me.

I would not expect to sit at the bar if I had a reservation. If I was a walk-up, sure, I get that, but a reservation to me means they have a table for me.

Does CA law require that people sitting at a bar have to be over 21, even if they are not drinking alcoholic beverages?

Hmmmm. . .
First time visitor to DLR is in a month for a mother/daughter trip. This makes me wonder if I should cancel my ADR for the two of us. I was looking forward to the famous nachos - but maybe not.

It is analogous to minors not being allowed on the gambling floors in Las Vegas.
Presumably that law is because minors could easily play a slot machine (illegally) on the gambling floor if allowed to wander around there. But a minor can no more easily order an alcoholic drink while sitting at a bar than while sitting at a table.

Does CA law require that people sitting at a bar have to be over 21, even if they are not drinking alcoholic beverages?
It depends on what type of license they have. I ran a brewery ale house for 15 years and I was told by the California ABC that our license allowed minors to sit at the bar. Most bars would not allow minors to be in the premises at all.

FYI - pink licenses minors are okay at the bar. Green licenses no one under 21 allowed at the bar.

Hmmmm. . .
First time visitor to DLR is in a month for a mother/daughter trip. This makes me wonder if I should cancel my ADR for the two of us. I was looking forward to the famous nachos - but maybe not.
I also say don't cancel! I honestly was okay being at the bar as a solo, and had only asked them out of curiosity if that was why I was placed there. I love their food and drinks, and just booked a reservation there for my husband and myself for our July trip.

I found this6 thread interesting. I thought I had remembered the reservations are just for downstairs, and upstairs was walk-in only. Perhaps that was only for a certain upstairs areas?

The only time I've gone to LLL, I was solo. They sat me downstairs, asking if I wanted the actual bar, shared "fire pit" seating, or "bar" seating facing the water, with the caveat. I chose the water-facing, on purpose; WOC was re-opening, and I heard if you chose the last reservations of the night, they would let you stay there for the show. Indeed, they did!

While it may be customary (mostly due to a restaurant trying to maximize revenue, not because there's a bunch of solo diners just dying to interact with an overworked bartender or other solo diners), I also find this annoying.

I usually travel with my family, but there are certain places I'm just over—Chef Mickey's is one of them. I frequently leave the fam and let them enjoy the loud, busy character meals with mediocre food and head down to Steakhouse 71 or somewhere, anywhere, else. 🤣

So, I feel you. I rarely drink anymore and I don't particularly like sitting on stools, so I'm pretty upfront I want a table. I factor their accommodation into my tip and 90% of time it's never been a problem.

You just gotta be assertive. It's your vacation. Who cares what anyone else thinks!

Last time we were here they seemed very put out that we did not want to sit in direct sunlight facing the water...they marched us back to the podium and had us stand around a bit before marching us back out to sit by the fire pit. I honestly think it has so many eclectic spots to sit at they deal with a lot of this back and forth every day. I know some people don't like the lounge style chairs either as they are deep and so the table is a weird height if you're eating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter