Very odd interaction at lamplight as a solo

katyringo

DIS Veteran
I just had a very strange interaction at lamp light lounge. Im not upset, tho it was a bit odd.

I'm sober, so that's something to know.

I had a reservation for one for LL diner.

I check in and they send me down the stairs. The hostess downstairs says my name and says, can I have an ID please? It took me a second to figure out what she was asking and once she said it again, I said "oh im
not drinking.." I couldn't hear them every well either so I had asked them to repeat.

She looked at another hostess, looks back at me and goes "oh so you don't want to sit at the bar?"

I said- "oh no, I would prefer not to sit at the bar."

And it was like I made a huge inconvenience to say that. The host huffed off and was like "be right back.."

she comes back several minutes later and says follow me. She takes me to a wonderful seat out on the water. But no silverware, no menu. I said "I do still want to eat.."

And again- she acted like it was an inconvenience and said "I'll be back again...". And then she brought the menu and stuff.

I'm happily in a great spot with a great server, but the interaction was so odd I was like "what is happening?!!" The first question I'm asked is for ID? I've never done LL solo so maybe they assume most solo would want the bar, but as soon as I said no bar then another table shouldn't be a big deal I guess. Maybe they should add a button to restrictions that says no bar seating or something like that.

Oh gosh. I’m so sorry that happened to you! How awkward and the hostess was so rude. Interactions like this are why we stopped going to LL. The last straw was them seating another party where my husband and son were sitting (they were using the restroom) but I was still sitting there. Totally awkward and so rude. (We were at a “shared” fire table outside, so it wasn’t just our party sitting at the table)

Sorry you had to deal with that experience. Makes me wonder if every fine dining DL/DCA experience assumes that solo diners are sent to the bar.

Sorry you had to deal with that experience. Makes me wonder if every fine dining DL/DCA experience assumes that solo diners are sent to the bar.
This sounds so much like what happened to me at Disney World’s signature Citricos at the Grand Floridian. I was also solo and the bar was suggested to me as well. I told her no, I made a reservation, so why would she think I wanted to sit at the bar? Then she asked if I had any allergies… so I said yes… I’m alergic to sitting at the bar!

My last trip I was solo and both Lamplight and Carthay Circle Lounge placed me at the bar despite my reservations because I was solo. I didn't ask to be moved, but did ask why the bar both times and was given that as the reason.

My sister and I had a couple of uncomfortable meals at LLL, which is one reason why we avoid it when it's just the 2 of us. We weren't seated at the bar, but in spite of our reservation, they kept seating others who came in later (we think as walk-ins) or had later reservations. They just left us hanging with no explanation and when we tried to get someone's attention, we'd be told as they were walking off that someone would be with us shortly. When were finally seated, it was at a crowded little table against a wall, but ok, we got a table. However, the service was just terrible, and we were left with the distinct impression that they just wanted us to leave. We were almost completely ignored.

The second time we were seated quickly but no one came back to take our order. We wanted to order a fancy drink but we were never given menus or asked if we wanted to order. We finally asked a server passing by if he could find our server and eventually someone came by and said he'd be back shortly. He never came back and we gave up and left.

I've had other visits that were fine, but I was with a larger group. I generally avoid LLL unless I'm with a group that wants to go. I assume they don't like the looks of my sister :rotfl:

I think they sit singles at the bar so they aren't taking up a table that could seat 2 or 4. But I do think they should ask your preference, especially if you have an advanced dining reservation.

When I went LL they didn't ask if the bar was okay nor ask for an id (I am 52) and was seated at the bar. When I went to Trader Sam's they did ask me if the bar was okay, which I preferred because I feel awkward taking up a table when I am only having a drink. Oga's asked shared table/booth or standing at the "bar" and since I had been on feet for 12 hours I of course said shared booth/table.

Last edited:
Know that seating parties of one at the bar is SOP by default at almost any restaurant that has a bar...two reasons...one, many solo travelers actually prefer the opportunity to socialize with the bar tender and/or other guests so they think they are doing you a favor...and second, it does free up seats for other paying guests vs having an empty seat a two top with only one order per table vs two or more.

Now, host attitude aside...it is really no big deal to simply speak up and say "I prefer a table"...especially if you have reservation (as I know there are plenty of times that you don't wanna deal with other people!)...but the assumption is indeed that solo diners typically prefer bar seating.

Isn't there a different reservation for the bar and outside portion of LLL? I'm with you, I would have expected to be seated at the restaurant inside with a regular reservation.

I definitely think they should ask if one is okay sitting at the bar.

Neither my spouse nor I drink alcohol. We've been sat at the bar at both LLL and at Carthay Circle. We're looking for lunch, not drinks The bartenders always seem confused when all we want to drink is water.

Know that seating parties of one at the bar is SOP by default at almost any restaurant that has a bar...two reasons...one, many solo travelers actually prefer the opportunity to socialize with the bar tender and/or other guests so they think they are doing you a favor...and second, it does free up seats for other paying guests vs having an empty seat a two top with only one order per table vs two or more.

Now, host attitude aside...it is really no big deal to simply speak up and say "I prefer a table"...especially if you have reservation (as I know there are plenty of times that you don't wanna deal with other people!)...but the assumption is indeed that solo diners typically prefer bar seating.
i had planned to nicely ask for a table on the water... but I didn't even get a chance because the first thing the host asked was for an ID. I'm okay that bar seating for one is fairly standard..: but the interaction was just so odd

9/10 times my friend and I are seated at the bar. I do prefer the views outside but the view from the bar isn’t bad and I get better service there because the server is right there. We have a favorite we’ve had a few times over the years who had to take over last time because the guy we had ended up disappearing a lot. I do wish we could put preference but really I’m just happy to be there 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter