VERY disappointed in DVC and their member cruise!

•Due to the unique nature of these special events, Members are permitted to pay cash for all passengers if they so choose.

So, people don't have to use points at all.

You really can't 'cherry pick' words from a contract. The original agreement was for "Memberships not purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. on or after March 21, 2011 will not have access to 2012/2013 S.S. Member Cruises."

It's a restricted sale and that's why the resale market is markedly less than if you purchased it direct.

You really did get what you paid for, including 'No access to Member Cruises'.

But at the end of the day, you are talking about something that is a perk or enhancement to the DVC membership and none of that is guaranteed for any DVC member.

If they want to offer two cruises to certain members, who meet whatever criteria they choose, then that is within their right. Does it dishearten some? Absolutely. Does it frustrate some? Yep. Will it cause some to rethink the value of their membership and opinion of DVC? Certainly.

IMO, though, those that bought resale should have absolutely expected that at any point in time, DVC might change the rules and put in more restrictions. And, if they didn't, then they may not have understood exactly what goes in to being a DVC owner. Even those of us who own direct points--I have restricted ones as well--understand that at anytime, the rules for perks can and will change.

We just have to realize that at this point, they have decided that a "perk" of being a member who owns directly purchased or pre-March 2011 points, you get access to a special cruise opportunities in 2012/13. I do think, though, that owners who are excluded from using cash should send an email sharing their disappointment with DVC.

I do not believe that I should have expected to be kept out of the "member cruise". I am a member and I pay my MF's every year (or will). I understand perks will come and go but this is one perk that we are being left out of that I do not understand.

A few have said that they would be upset or can see that people would be upset if people who have purchased resale are able to book the cruise and people who purchased direct were not. My problem with this argument is that there has always been the resale market, so to me it is irrelevant.

No matter the outcome I am still loving DVC just very disappointed if this decision holds up.

I do not believe that I should have expected to be kept out of the "member cruise". I am a member and I pay my MF's every year (or will). I understand perks will come and go but this is one perk that we are being left out of that I do not understand.

A few have said that they would be upset or can see that people would be upset if people who have purchased resale are able to book the cruise and people who purchased direct were not. My problem with this argument is that there has always been the resale market, so to me it is irrelevant.

No matter the outcome I am still loving DVC just very disappointed if this decision holds up.

I don't understand the reasoning behind it either, other than to speculate that they made the decision for the same or similar reason they made the decision last year to put a restriction on resale points.

To me, it appears they want there to be a difference between direct and resale buyers. It's just one more thing they can say "We offer a special members cruise for those that own direct points."

While this may not have been a perk you anticipated would be removed, and its disappointing that they didn't at least give people a heads up, it simply reminds all of us that nothing but what is in the contract can or should be counted on. For all we know, next year, the cruise may be for members who have at least X amount of direct points.

The best we can do is share our disappointment with DVC and hope that they take all that into account when making decisions on what enhancements they want to offer to members.

Well here is what they told me. The disney cruise is considered an exchange and so resale members who purchased after 3/11 are not allowed to book the member cruise because it is still considered an exchange.

I told him that I did not want, nor could I use any points, so there would be no points to exchange. He said it did not matter that it was still an exchange. I asked what they were exchanging and he could not give me an answer, just that this is the policy for new resales.

I informed him that I was very disappointed in DVC's decision to handle a member cruise in this fashion and recommended that they change the name if they are indeed not going to let all members go on the cruise.

He said he would give my concerns to his supervisor and to have anyone else with concerns to send it by email through the website.

So, any resales purchased after the march 2011 deadline is not able to attend member cruises with your membership. Pretty lame in my opinion. Oh well, life goes on.

Thanks again for all your comments.
Kyle

first some generalizations...,

...yes tammy, we do not buy puppies @ any pet store. and yes, mr.
"grey", human dynamics are very telling if one has listening skills.
fyi- just a health plug--our society has it share of problems &
human tragedies however, the solutions to make improvements
are found in knowledge that were already discovered. back when
extended families took an active role in child rearing, these
"secrets" toward finding happiness were repeated & repeated,
over & over. old wise tales...has the wisdom for anyone wanting
success in life. fyi, i discovered this when i had to "covered"
mental health, liked 2o years ago & it lead to a new career,
better life. furthermore, i knew i was on the right tract when a
client returned after 7years, just to say, "it changed my life."

well tammy? i don't know..but from our experiences, most dvc
members have friends that are owners? what's the old adage ?
"while in dvc do as disney sez"? .....why not have them get
you on the ship as a friend? does it matter being official invited?

...maybe i am wrong?...does any other timeshares have a member
cruise? nor have i seen any caps or merchandise when vacationing.
dvc is directly connected to wdw & the best parks in the world.
i don't know any other timeshare with such crossover draw. there
are hundreds of gifts we have received since being members.
of course, they stamp diseny all over them but none of them
been return since sharing them our community. in reality, we
get requests from family, friends, co-workers, & the families
we sponsering. if they say rci , i don't think there would be the same
reaction/s. we had some really special memories made last christmas.
not @ the parks, or blt....but @ the merry mixer. do the other timeshares
have special christmas parties? { my friends 2 work didn't know of any?]

i know , been reading how "poor" this past member cruise was. it was
our second. we thought this year lil'suitcase was more functioning
than last year. last year gym bag, i really liked & using. the pins we
collected are lil'tokens that we have been using to "mark" our trips
since 1992.

this year cruise....they gave a ton of gingerbread cookies out free.
is one worth it? in 2006 we first learn about ducky williams. him
alone, i think make a cruise very ,very special. there are 5 of
us, & we have been lucky to won 11 of his drawings....for the
kids' room. the thing that impressed me most, was his banker
years. in less than 10 years & vice president- tells of a quality
person with great people skills, but also trust. :thumbsup2

basically, i am nothing special, no stardom , talents, or anything
worth noticing. i run an unit . but coworkers seek my input because
they also see my work. really, to do my job, being a nobody is a
positive....because all the merits are redirected back to the values
from what i call "human dynamics. dvc gives me the chance
encounters with those i would seldom be able. funny how things
can go. on the cruise, another person took my seat @ the table.
so i ended up with another family...that took me awhile to realized
it was mr. joey fartone singer. he was gracious to take pictures
with my wife/daughter. that gave me "brownie points" :yay:

my lots in life has not been easy, but more rewarding than i could
ever dream. we had a daughter after 10 years we decided no more.
without her, we would never done dvc. beyond normal genetics,
she has my mother red hair. the ariel kind. i was never a disney
fan..did not want to go & fight the crowds. bleak! that all changed
by not a cast member or any extra thing or knicker blocker. on the
lil'boats back to wl , i noticed this lil'girl, who kept tugging @ her
mother...insisting/begging for something. a toy? a doll? she must
have been around 3 or less years. finally the mother said excused
me, can our daughter sit besides your daughter..she believes
that she is the "real ariel". of course. our daughter was only 5,
and did not understand. but that's ok, because this lil'girl
was jsut thrilled, watching her with awe. what a wonderful
gift she gave us . i will never forget her.

we can go anytime and/or stay anywhere we desire. that is not
what we know to be anything special. all our trips are building
the dream we started ..from a time long ago. our first apartment
was not as big as our current living. no matter, we stayed
in cheap hotels, & skimped on anything we can except our
kids. those memories are just as important as the ones
we are making today. they have all their stuff, even that old
musket that i had to dragged all over the parks.

so when many get into ratings, i just don't think they are as
important as being there & the encounters. as for resales vs.
direct, i feel each family have the need to decide "what" their
dvc should be- in~deeds...for them to be happy. costs should
be by their budget not their egos. if it is below 50% per
resales then go direct or don't go @ all.

WOW..this got long fast.
I agree that if it is called a MEMBERS Cruise by Disney, and if rooms are able to be booked by cash and not points then any MEMBER should be able to book. If they want to change the name to "Directies Cruise" then "Resalies" can't book. Really, to me, the easiest, quickest and most pointed thing to do is simply to give direct purchasers ( who have purchased direct a certian amount of points..not just 25 to be counted direct..like I did when I wanted to buy small VGC chunks ;)) bigger perks in the booking window area. Simple to explain:
You may use your direct purchase points to book your home resort at 11 months, non home resort at 7 months. You may use your resale points to book your home resort at 10 months, non home resort at 6 months. You may book a MEMBERS cruise first day of sales if you own 150 direct buy points, you may book a MEMBERS cruise on cash 10 days after sales begin. So much better that people really know what they give up buying resale or get buying direct. It is always better to KISS

You may use your direct purchase points to book your home resort at 11 months, non home resort at 7 months. You may use your resale points to book your home resort at 10 months, non home resort at 6 months.

Not sure this particular change for a home resort would be legally possible, as there is a legal real estate interest, and timeshare laws, to deal with. Then again, it maybe possible, given the documents guarantee only a 1 month home resort priority. Now for non-home resorts such a change is likely legal. But both of these suggestions may cause more headaches than they are worth, given the Disney computer system, CM training, and reservation CM interaction with members.

I have no problems giving direct purchasers, or even direct purchaser with a lot of points, better discounts on tickets, shopping or dining...as those are "just perks"...but home resort usage, IMO, should remain equal.

Well here is what they told me. The disney cruise is considered an exchange and so resale members who purchased after 3/11 are not allowed to book the member cruise because it is still considered an exchange.

I told him that I did not want, nor could I use any points, so there would be no points to exchange. He said it did not matter that it was still an exchange. I asked what they were exchanging and he could not give me an answer, just that this is the policy for new resales.

I informed him that I was very disappointed in DVC's decision to handle a member cruise in this fashion and recommended that they change the name if they are indeed not going to let all members go on the cruise.

He said he would give my concerns to his supervisor and to have anyone else with concerns to send it by email through the website.

So, any resales purchased after the march 2011 deadline is not able to attend member cruises with your membership. Pretty lame in my opinion. Oh well, life goes on.

Thanks again for all your comments.
Kyle

I agree with you - if a member is going to pay all cash, there is no need for them to exchange anything.

I think the real reason has to do with sales. IMO, the main purpose for offering member cruises is sales. Consider who you would rather have in your "captive audience" - a member who previously bought direct or a member who bought resale and already knows about the bargains that may be found there?

What a fantastic opportunity for Disney/DVD! An audience favorably disposed to buy your product, one that even pays for the privilege of listening to repeated sales pitches, and fills up a ship(s) for your fellow department's (DCL) harder to fill departures! In return you spring for some gifts (and raise the price of the cruise to at least partially compensate).

And apparently, these cruises are a lot of fun since so many want to go. Genius! ;) :teeth:

Not sure this particular change for a home resort would be legally possible, as there is a legal real estate interest, and timeshare laws, to deal with. Then again, it maybe possible, given the documents guarantee only a 1 month home resort priority. Now for non-home resorts such a change is likely legal. But both of these suggestions may cause more headaches than they are worth, given the Disney computer system, CM training, and reservation CM interaction with members.

I have no problems giving direct purchasers, or even direct purchaser with a lot of points, better discounts on tickets, shopping or dining...as those are "just perks"...but home resort usage, IMO, should remain equal.
Since DVCMC has complete control over reservations without member input AND other at least 2 other FL based timeshares have already converted to such a system after the fact, a VIP system that effectively did just this would be possible IMO. Of course we're talking DVD vs DVCMC and this is an important distinction in this situation.

I think it should ALL remain equal..I'm just throwing stuff out there about changes that are under DVC control that they could implement for a tier system since that seems to be the way they're going. As we discussed, perks have to be negotiated with other divisions, but restrictions are easier for them to put in place. I really don't know what Disney could do on the carrot side to entice people to pay what can be double for the same product.

I spoke with 2 different people at DVC, one was a supervisor, who confirmed the above. I expressed my concern and displeasure over this rule and could not figure it out. Am I not a DVC member? than why am I not allowed to go on a DVC member cruise.

I informed them I knew of the restrictions when I purchased resale including not being able to use points for disney cruises, but not being able to go on a member cruise was not one of them if I wanted to pay cash.

I spoke with 2 different people at DVC, one was a supervisor, who confirmed the above. I expressed my concern and displeasure over this rule and could not figure it out. Am I not a DVC member? than why am I not allowed to go on a DVC member cruise.

I informed them I knew of the restrictions when I purchased resale including not being able to use points for disney cruises, but not being able to go on a member cruise was not one of them if I wanted to pay cash.

Hopefully more people are doing the same.

Hopefully more people are doing the same.

Um, Kyle....he quoted from your first post, word for word.

Let me get this right...

We are disappointed we can't spend MORE for a cruise then the general public.

We are disappointed we can't be trapped on a ship for a 24/7 non stop "sales pitch"

Maybe it's just me but I don't get the issue. Paying more to be pressured to buy really is not a "perk" IMHO.

Years ago I was jealous of these cruisers.. Now I read the reveiws and go :confused3 I have no idea why I would pay what they want for what they deliver expect to feel "special" And... I don't need that extrenal validation :)

The one and only reason they don't want resales on these cruises is!

Don't buy now on the ship. I paid half price and so can you.

Wait till you get home and go to this site or that site and look how much you will save.

This is a private event and DVC can invite who the like. :confused3

The one and only reason they don't want resales on these cruises is!

Don't buy now on the ship. I paid half price and so can you.

Wait till you get home and go to this site or that site and look how much you will save.

This is a private event and DVC can invite who the like. :confused3

Don't they still have that internet thing available on the ship? Or do they just block TTS and the like?

Don't they still have that internet thing available on the ship? Or do they just block TTS and the like?
They do, but very few people use it, because it is pretty pricey and doesn't work all that well. What's more, these are not people "new to the game", they are already Members. They either already know about the resale market, or they will never bother to find out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter