VERY disappointed in DVC and their member cruise!

Interesting discussion.....

Going forward, I think you will see more and more limitations on resale contracts.

Eventually they will beat down resale owners to a point where they will be true "2nd class" owners. After they strip away all the perks, then they will come out with a program like for a fee of $20pp you can upgrade to full membership.

As usual, I agree with you, Tom 100%.

Disney has basically put that in writing.

INCIDENTAL BENEFITS MAY NOT BE HYPOTHECATED, BOUGHT, SOLD, EXCHANGED, RENTED OR OTHERWISE TRANSFERRED, EXCEPT UPON WRITTEN APPROVAL OF DVD, AND ARE SOLELY FOR YOUR BENEFIT AND NOT FOR THE BENEFIT OF YOUR ASSIGNS OR SUCCESSORS-IN-INTEREST. IF YOU SELL YOUR OWNERSHIP INTEREST, INCIDENTAL BENEFITS DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY TRANSFER TO YOUR BUYER. THE AVAILABILITY OF INCIDENTAL BENEFITS MAY OR MAY NOT BE RENEWED OR EXTENDED TO SUCH ASSIGNS OR SUCCESSORS-IN INTEREST. DVD RESERVES THE RIGHT, IN ITS SOLE, ABSOLUTE AND UNFETTERED DISCRETION, TO ELECT TO PERMIT TRANSFER OF ANY ONE OR MORE INCIDENTAL BENEFITS, AND, IF IT DOES SO, MAY REQUIRE PAYMENT OF FEES AND/OR CHARGES AS A CONDITION TO TRANSFER.

As usual, I agree with you, Tom 100%.

Disney has basically put that in writing.

INCIDENTAL BENEFITS MAY NOT BE HYPOTHECATED, BOUGHT, SOLD, EXCHANGED, RENTED OR OTHERWISE TRANSFERRED, EXCEPT UPON WRITTEN APPROVAL OF DVD, AND ARE SOLELY FOR YOUR BENEFIT AND NOT FOR THE BENEFIT OF YOUR ASSIGNS OR SUCCESSORS-IN-INTEREST. IF YOU SELL YOUR OWNERSHIP INTEREST, INCIDENTAL BENEFITS DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY TRANSFER TO YOUR BUYER. THE AVAILABILITY OF INCIDENTAL BENEFITS MAY OR MAY NOT BE RENEWED OR EXTENDED TO SUCH ASSIGNS OR SUCCESSORS-IN INTEREST. DVD RESERVES THE RIGHT, IN ITS SOLE, ABSOLUTE AND UNFETTERED DISCRETION, TO ELECT TO PERMIT TRANSFER OF ANY ONE OR MORE INCIDENTAL BENEFITS, AND, IF IT DOES SO, MAY REQUIRE PAYMENT OF FEES AND/OR CHARGES AS A CONDITION TO TRANSFER.

For the longest time, Disney freely mixed DVC "rights as owners" and DVC "perks to owners" and extended them to all. We are so conditioned that Disney is not a timeshare that we are in shock now, cause they are starting to treat us like any other timeshare.

I agree to a point. IF they require that the member cruise have the primary traveler booked on points, then the rest payable in cash...it would exclude the resale purchasers. But, IF direct purchasers are allowed to pay all cash, then I personally see no reason why resale people should not be able to book all cash.

But it is DVC/Disney's playground, they can set the rules.

I honestly don't know what the booking rules are, as I really don't have an interest in cruising. Maybe at some point in the future, but right now, sailing on a cruise ship just doesn't hold any interest for me.

I totally agree. If required to book with points then I could understand not allowing the scabs (tongue firmly planted in cheek while saying "scabs") that purchased resale after that certain day on the cruise.

We are taking our first cruise this June with the Dis Unplugged crew and am really looking forward to it. I hope it lives up to expectations.

I completely agree, and I think I'll join you popcorn::, as this thread is definitely panning out to be the social experiment I thought it would.

(NOTE: all quoted posts are included to represent a battery of ideas and are not directed specifically at the poster unless specifically stated)

For instance, the segregation of the DVC membership by DVD has elicited a discussion of the boundaries of entitlement. Some in the "included population" agree with the limitations and have suggested firming up the boundaries...

we met dvc owners after our member cruise.
original owners, that were blocked out after last year. if you
were a owner that brought dvc , wouldn't you feel cheated that
resales were able to booked over you? exactly who should be more
entitled? even if i had purchased resales...i would vote those
buying direct deserved it more.

I like your wish list. I agree. If I bought direct (which I did), I should get more perks than those who paid less for their points.

For those in the excluded population (at the moment, resale purchasers after the March cutoff date), the conversation changes from the desire of inclusion to the need to make another segment of the population "lesser" than themselves...

If it's for immediate family, then like APs, that's fine. But, if I get a room for me and DH and then get a room for my neighbor across the street, it's not. If you are a Member paying Member's dues, then you should get to pay cash to cruise with the other members. If you're my neighbor who's been to WDW twice and you're just along for a trip with friends, you should be waaay back in the line behind the person paying dues.

I actually met someone on the Member's Cruise in 2011 who wasn't a member and wasn't even WITH a Member. Their friend ( the member ) had booked a couple rooms and had to cancel his. But this guy still got to cruise on the Member's cruise.

To any dues paying person, that's a slap in the face at this point.

I do not care so much that you are able to bring friends except for the fact that I pay MF every year and they are restricting an actual member from going.

If you step back and watch the theater, it is interesting to watch human behavior in action. The need for inclusion is so strong that regardless of previous warnings, the reason/purpose of exclusionary act, or the definition of what it means to be part of the desired group, people latch onto the semantics of a word even if the proclamation is taken out of context of its purpose.

The question is, whether this act by Disney will serve as a "wake-up call" for resale purchasers or if they will simply argue an injustice until the next one comes along? What is a DVC member's breaking point, where they will decide to leave a WDW/DLR vacation behind due to the segregation of the club?

Will it get more entrenched; quite possibly. If it does, will those members with some direct purchase and some resale points, who are ok with the current policy, remain ok should the policy shift to only 100% direct purchase members being included? I guess we may see...

On a direct note, Tammy, I think you are too focused on the name of the event ("Member Cruise") to allow yourself to understand the true target demographic and reason for the event...

I'm saying if the person is not entitled to purchasing an AP with your DVC discount, should stay in your cabin with you or stay home.

Do you really think that your friend is more deserving of being onboard a Member's Cruise than someone who is paying dues? Really??

Just for clarification, I do not believe this is a Member only cruise. As stated by the good Professor to me, this a sales cruise. By many accounts, it seems the purpose for the event is to sell points to those who have purchased direct from Disney and for those whom the direct purchase members are attempting to recommend the program.

In its core, it seems to have nothing to do with general membership or monthly dues, rather the target audience are those who purchased from Disney in the past.

If a member purchased direct, they are likely to steer their friends, families, and acquaintances in that direction as well. If a member purchased on the resale market, they are likely to steer prospective buyers in that direction. Who would DVD rather have on these sales cruises?

It seems to me the problem is that the general perception is that a Member Cruise should be for the general DVC membership, which is an error. It is not for the general membership, rather it is for those open to purchasing more points directly through DVD. Regardless of how it is/was spun, spoken of, or viewed, this is the reality.

A similar example of exclusion would be the use the TotWL by only members staying on points at BLT (I anticipate this analogy will be refuted with length of notice, which is irrelevant, as the example is directed toward the exclusionary policy instead of the length of time to get our hopes up). Another policy is pool hopping; DVC members may use the GF pool, while cash guests staying at the GF concierge suites may not use any other resort pool.

The part that concerns me the most is that Chuck, and others, have attempted to explain this, and he even provided a specific example to gain clarification (see below). Instead of absorbing the scenario and looking at it for what it was presented, we have isolated and attacked the specifics.

Again, the bottom line is this. DVD has/is using the tactic of excluding a certain portion of the DVC population to set apart the value of its product (like pool hopping is used in the sales pitch) from the resale market, and it is very VERY possible they will do it again. Consider this event regarding the Member's Cruise a warning; it will likely happen again, but possibly to a larger segment of the DVC membership.

Consider how far you, personally, are willing to accept these sort of changes and establish a strategy (letter writing, sales of your points, etc) should policies shift to reach those thresholds, or don't. However, if we don't think ahead and gain an understanding of what is happening, we really have no basis for complaint.

I think who I would chose to travel with is every bit as "deserving" to travel with me as booking any other family member into a separate cabin. I mean, if a member travels with their elderly parents in a separate cabin, I guess those parents also are not as deserving as someone who is paying dues? Such blanket rules rarely work well.

As far as "deserving", no one "deserves" to be on a members cruise over any other person. It is, in reality, simply a charter booked by DVC Marketing. It is not booked by the DVC Association Management as any sort of exclusive "Members Only" event using DVC funds. Under law, it is doubtful DVC funds/dues could be committed to such. Dues are legally tied to resort operations and maintenance, not chartering cruise ships.

So, should the same be applied to WDW DVC resorts? No DVC booked rooms at DVC resorts for friends/family? After all, booking a room for them could prevent a dues paying member from getting that reservation. What about renters? By the same logic, those "dues paying members" would be more deserving of the room than any non-Member, no?

P.S. As a side note, I am enjoying the thread for the reasons mentioned initially. Much like before the recession in 2008, the warning flags are flying, and although I was a bit taken aback by the abruptness of this Member Cruise decision, I am not surprised. I feel these is likely more to come, and I am happy to sit back and watch the events unfold.

Thanks to our more knowledgeable members (Dean, Tim, Jim, Sammie, Dianne, Deb, Chuck, Bill, MaistreGracey, and others), I have drunk the cool-aid and fully embrace the reality that perks come and go, and what we bought was a prepaid room in good condition (nothing more and nothing less). Even though I still believe in the Magic of DVC (owning property at WDW), I take it with the same view as in Tomorrowland. I let myself get immersed in the fantasy, but keep reality close at hand.

The best advice I can give anyone came from my daughter, when she was but three years old.

The scene: my son, at one, was banging his spoon on his high chair. We told him to stop, or we would take the spoon away. He did not stop. We took away the spoon. He cried. A LOT.

In a way that only a three year old can, she looked up, and completely earnestly, said: "Don't cry. When Mommy and Daddy take something away from me, I just don't want it anymore."

And it's true. She doesn't. This makes parenting hard, but will serve her in good stead if she can make it to 18... ;)

Let me say this for the absolute last time, if it's a *Member's* anything and it's available to book for cash, then I believe all member's should have access to it paying cash.

Until resale buyers are no longer member's, then they fit the demographic of the advertising.

Quite frankly, I don't buy that DVC is going after their best sales options, either. I bought a resale, and another resale and then direct points. There are MANY on here who have done the same.

This is simply Disney spanking their naughty resale buyers and shaming them that they aren't good enough to cruise.
Many of us initially purchased a resale and then added on directly but those who purchased resale since March 2011 are in a different group. They knowingly purchased a restricted contract in favor of a significant discount. Others in the same situation opted to pay more to buy direct so they wouldn't lose any options. If you had to pick someone to approach to purchase an add-on directly, which group do you think would be more receptive? If, as previous cruisers have stated, this cruise is becoming a big sales pitch, who does Disney want on the ship?

The Members' Cruise is always popular and they have no problem filling the ship so Disney can opt to be selective about who they want to include. In the process they can also reinforce their message about the advantages of buying direct which is potentially good for business even if it's not good for some members.

I prefer the old DVC where all DVC members were one big happy family and I could resell a contract and pass on all the same perks to the buyer. Unfortunately Disney is a business and they make decisions that are in their best interests, even if they conflict with ours.

As I sit here and see DVC jacking around with members (or scabs if you bought resale) it makes me content that I will be sitting on my current 170 points and not even considering any new or resale DVC points in the future.

BTW, I'm a scab, but not a bloody scab like those people who bought after the date that will live on in DVC history. :rotfl:

Save yourself some cash and pick a different date or buy the smallest direct contract at the cheapest resort possible if your heart is set on that cruise. Good luck either way!

As I sit here and see DVC jacking around with members (or scabs if you bought resale) it makes me content that I will be sitting on my current 170 points and not even considering any new or resale DVC points in the future.

BTW, I'm a scab, but not a bloody scab like those people who bought after the date that will live on in DVC history. :rotfl:

Ditto!

Bought loaded resale in 2000. I"m not buying anymore points resale or direct. I bought never intending to sell, my maint. is very affordable and I plan to stick it out till the end, mine or 2042!

I personally could care less about a Members Only Sales Pitch Cruise, but I feel a bit sorry for the OP, but truthfully not that much, as I don't see this as the loss of a perk or much of a benefit! As much as I enjoy being a DVC member I didn't buy into it to hang out with other DVCr's, I bought into it for the enjoyment of my family and friends, and it still paying off!

Nice post Lisa. I think the "rub" is in saying only members that have purchased direct can participate in the cruise. Not that many members would have gone on the cruise anyway. It's all about the "label". Personally, that cruise is overpriced, doesn't sail to any place except CC, AND its a big sales pitch. Why do people want to go on such a cruise?

Hmmm, has me thinking, didn't someone post on here a few months ago about direct vs. resales changes were a'comin......;)

Me, I said all along when the first limitations to resale were announced that this would not be the end of them.

I also stated earlier in this thread that I was not sure about the future for the limitations because while I knew about the plans Jim Lewis had I do not know if the new admin will continue in that line.

just my opinion, it isn't a timeshare company but the dvc.
I couldn't disagree with you more. It is just a timeshare company. Holding Disney to a higher standard is simply not reasonable or appropriate.

Disney is getting desperate.

It's called greed.

DVD has made Disney some pretty good money over the last few years and Disney executives expect the trend to continue. They will tweak and modify rules and perks to get the most profit that they can even at our expense.

If some existing members get upset it doesn't matter because there is nothing that we can do. We can sell our contracts and not vacation at Disney but the people that we sell to take our place and Disney is not affected in the least.

Disney is such a strong brand that people will buy no matter what.

The member cruises make Disney money or they wouldn't offer them and members will wait for hours on the phone just to book. That's how powerful their marketing and brand is.

I expect that the March restrictions including the cruise is more of a tool for the Guides then an attempt to force members to buy direct or to punish us.

I can hear them now when asked about resale from a prospect, "buying from Disney allows you access to several hundred vacation destinations including Disney Cruise Line. In fact we are having two specialty cruises just for DVC Members".

:earsboy: Bill

I can hear them now when asked about resale from a prospect, "buying from Disney allows you access to several hundred vacation destinations including Disney Cruise Line. In fact we are having two specialty cruises just for DVC Members".

:earsboy: Bill

"In fact we are having two specialty cruises just for REAL DVC Members who buy direct".

In a way that only a three year old can, she looked up, and completely earnestly, said: "Don't cry. When Mommy and Daddy take something away from me, I just don't want it anymore."

...but those who purchased resale since March 2011 are in a different group. They knowingly purchased a restricted contract in favor of a significant discount.
These two statements made me think. If a part of the argument against this Member Cruise issue is that people who bought resale after March were never told, what would have been the reaction if they were told?

That is, if DVD made a statement, not unlike the recent letter to cast members, that implicitly stated that resale owners will loose an undetermined amount of benefits as an offset to the discounted pricing available on the resale market, would the community be as upset?

Of course, it would say due to the discounted pricing Disney allowed to flourish (due to not exercising RoFR ;)).

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't DVC on a Members Cruise several years ago restrict booking for members who had already been on a Member Cruise? They gave first chance to those members who had not been on a previous member cruise.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't DVC on a Members Cruise several years ago restrict booking for members who had already been on a Member Cruise? They gave first chance to those members who had not been on a previous member cruise.

Yes, they did.

They also used to have a Holiday lottery type thing for the Christmas/New year holiday where Home Resort priority did not come into play...that was way back when OKW, and possibly BWV were new. It only lasted a couple of years.

You had to sign up way in advance, and hope you got called...OKW owners did not get first dibs on rooms during that time frame.

OP, I understand how you feel. I wish I had bought my points resale, but I didn't and they cost me a fortune. When I bought, I didn't know about resale, my loss. I have been on 4 Disney cruises. I was on the member cruise, and it wasn't what I had hoped it would be. I love little things, and so the gifts were special to me. But those in our Dis group who have gone on the member cruises several times said that the member cruises have gone downhill. They said that the food is not what it once was for the MC, the gifts are just repeats, the special guests were not so special except for Ducky Williams who has been on several cruises. I really wanted to meet Marty Sklar or one of the original Disney icons, but there were none on our MC. For the price, it really wasn't worth it. I have used points for 3 cruises, and cash for one. I don't think I will do another MC unless I know who is going to be on that cruise. Many of us felt that DVC was not really appreciating the members on the MC I was on. I didn't have anything to compare as far as MC's, but it just wasn't so "special". I know that the D23 was being held the same time as the MC I was on, and everyone who was anyone for DIsney was in CA.
My opinion which is not worth much, is that if you are paying cash for the MC, why would they want to exclude you? Maybe the MC's won't sell out and they would let you get a chance at booking. Who knows.
Wishing you the best, and enjoy the bargain you got on your resale. My 700 points cost about $70,000. UGH. But I do love my DVC!

Let me say this for the absolute last time, if it's a *Member's* anything and it's available to book for cash, then I believe all member's should have access to it paying cash.

Until resale buyers are no longer member's, then they fit the demographic of the advertising.

Quite frankly, I don't buy that DVC is going after their best sales options, either. I bought a resale, and another resale and then direct points. There are MANY on here who have done the same.

This is simply Disney spanking their naughty resale buyers and shaming them that they aren't good enough to cruise.

But at the end of the day, you are talking about something that is a perk or enhancement to the DVC membership and none of that is guaranteed for any DVC member.

If they want to offer two cruises to certain members, who meet whatever criteria they choose, then that is within their right. Does it dishearten some? Absolutely. Does it frustrate some? Yep. Will it cause some to rethink the value of their membership and opinion of DVC? Certainly.

IMO, though, those that bought resale should have absolutely expected that at any point in time, DVC might change the rules and put in more restrictions. And, if they didn't, then they may not have understood exactly what goes in to being a DVC owner. Even those of us who own direct points--I have restricted ones as well--understand that at anytime, the rules for perks can and will change.

We just have to realize that at this point, they have decided that a "perk" of being a member who owns directly purchased or pre-March 2011 points, you get access to a special cruise opportunities in 2012/13. I do think, though, that owners who are excluded from using cash should send an email sharing their disappointment with DVC.

Oops, sorry! Let me clarify...it actually is costing only couple points less to do the 7-night. We are sailing in a 5a cabin:

DVC 3 & 4 night: 217 points/adult, $846 cash for 1 child
7-night Fantasy: 216 points/adulst, $823 cash for 1 child

So I'd rather take the longer cruise if I'm using that many points!

Where do you get this point and pricing info?
Do you call Member Services? Is it posted somewhere?

Sorry, I found it on the dvcmember website.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter