vent about WDW bus passengers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been caught several times getting on a full bus holding a sleeping toddler while my dh has the stroller and all the bags and finding plenty of young well bodied men that would not offer me a seat!:eek: But, have found that plenty of women will either hold one of her children on her lap, or get up and offer me her seat!:flower3: My dh will always give up a seat for a woman or child and I am proud of him for that!:cheer2:

I disagree. Standing on busses is common for public transportation the world over--including many places in the USA. If you are not happy with standard public transportation practices then do not use the public transportation at WDW.

Gee, pardon me for daring to voice my own opinion in an effort to help someone be proactive! I was always taught that instead of complaining, to try to find a way to make a situation better. In the future, I will be sure to keep my thoughts to myself. :confused3. I've taken public transport in several major cities, so I am well aware of the fact that people stand all the time and I still think it's a potential hazard in those situations (whoops, there I go again, me and my opining!)
Honestly, I really don't care about the transport one way or the other, standing or sitting I'm just happy to be at WDW -- and I have no problem giving my seat to anyone who looks as though they might need it more than I :;)
Peace, RPF

I have one even better, last year when we were there my son fell asleep and I had to take him out of the stroller to hold him on the bus, and only one person offered me there seat. This was an elderly woman who I felt bad taking her seat because she also looked like she needed to sit. My husband was going to hold my son, but I was afraid he would wake up if I moved him. I stood until almost half way back when finally a man asked his son to stand so that I could sit. I guess he saw how tired my arms were getting. How about that for manners, the man would not even stand he wanted his son around 10 or 11 to stand.

You're kidding right??? Someone gave you a seat and you still aren't happy because the "right" person didn't stand.:sad2::sad2:

So your dh didn't offer to take your sleeping child out of the stroller and hold him so that you didn't have to, and you have a problem with strangers not offering you a seat, and a father making his ds get up for you? Okay.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I usually hate it when people pull the "I haven't read the whole thread, BUT card...", but I was getting a bit annoyed at the assumptions (and its late and I want to post before I pass out)

Sometimes a person isn't able-bodied though they may look it. To most individuals I look like an able bodied, average sized young (22 year old) woman, BUT I have A LOT of foot/ankle/leg problems that aren't obvious to the eye (especially when I wear pants, which is most of the time). I've been accused of being lazy and inconsiderate by parents with small children when I didn't offer up my seat (though DH always does), because they just assume that since they can't *see* anything wrong, I have nothing wrong. It really sucks and makes me feel very guilty, but by the end of a day at Disney I have a hard time standing/walking. I deal with the pain, but using every leg muscle to balance well for the bus ride makes my life a million times more difficult. I'm also very naturally clumsy. These two things together are no fun! :confused3

I disagree. Standing on busses is common for public transportation the world over--including many places in the USA. If you are not happy with standard public transportation practices then do not use the public transportation at WDW.

Gee, pardon me for daring to voice my own opinion in an effort to help someone be proactive! I was always taught that instead of complaining, to try to find a way to make a situation better. In the future, I will be sure to keep my thoughts to myself. :confused3. I've taken public transport in several major cities, so I am well aware of the fact that people stand all the time and I still think it's a potential hazard in those situations (whoops, there I go again, me and my opining!)
Honestly, I really don't care about the transport one way or the other, standing or sitting I'm just happy to be at WDW -- and I have no problem giving my seat to anyone who looks as though they might need it more than I :;)
Peace, RPF

Why keep your thoughts to yourself? I simply said "I disagree" and stated MY thoughts. I do not think the bussing system at WDW is "ridiculous" or unsafe. It is much like it is ANYwhere that public busses are regularly used (ie it is very much the norm), therefore I do no think getting mad at Disney for offering a service in a rather standard fashion makes sense. If you (general) do not like the acceptable norms that are used the world over for something, i think it is better to not use the service than demand that the norms of the service be changed (at an area you use it maybe a few weeks a year) to suit your preference. That is all I was saying--you stating your opinion and me stating mine:flower3:

You know, I ride a lot of busses and trams and see kids, parents holding babies, elderly and pregnant women standing on them nearly every day. I cannot recall one time I saw someone sustain an injury in so doing. I dot think it is quiet as dangerous as it feels to people who are not used to seeing it.

I'm pretty sure the majority of the people who posted don't really have a problem being considerate and giving up a seat to a person in need. It's the self-entitlement that people are having problems with. "I have a sleeping kid, I'm pregnant, I have a small child but I'm going to get on this standing room only bus anyways and somebody better offer me a seat!!! Otherwise they are rude and they weren't raised right."

I agree! It's the self-entitlement of so many people down there that irritates. One night after Fantasmic the buses were totally packed. We chose to wait for the next bus, so we'd have a seat. My GD looks healthy but was premature and still had some balance issues. No way, was I going to allow her to stand on a moving bus. Anyway, we got seats on the second bus, but eventually it too was packed. Because we had waited for the second bus, we had seats up close to the front. There was a young couple that insisited on getting on that bus, even though the driver said he thought it was full. The man asked, "can't you sqeeze just two more people on". The driver did, but told the couple they had to be able to stand behind the line. Other people that were already squeezed together had to squeeze back some more. As soon as they managed to squeeze behind the line, the man yelled out, "my wife is pregnant, who is going to give her their seat". People were already frustrated because they had insisted on everyone moving back a little, squeezing even tighter together in order to get that couple on. Anyway, someone from further back in the bus yelled out, "We didn't get her pregnant. You should have waited for the next bus." The man then insisted that the driver make someone get up so his wife could sit. You could tell the driver was already frustrated with the couple and was also trying not to laugh at the other man's comment. He told him there was nothing he could do and that the man had a point. They should have waited for the next bus. Finally a man across the aisle from me got up, but made an angry comment that he agreed they should have waited for the next bus and that the woman didn't even look pregnant. (She was about 18 y/o, was wearing a very tight short tank top and low hip hugger shorts). Anyway to add insult to injury, when he got up, the husband sat down. Everyone around yelped at him. But then he reached out and sat his wife on his lap so they could both sit.:rolleyes1

On a bus I would not expect anyone to get up to let me/kids sit, nor would I expect to HAVE to get up for someone else - since for my safety and that of my children, I would have waited for a bus I could sit on - as others have said - taking responsibility for myself and my kids.

So please think before criticising those of us who do sit - some of us have made our own choices - based on our and our children's safety, and may have waited longer at the bus stop to make it happen.

I may choose to get up for another parent with babe in arms or whatever, but I always feel aggrieved (I know I shouldn't - I should feel the warm glow of altruism or whatever....:angel:) as I wonder what stopped them making the same choices I did.

Tessa

Excellent post! See my post above. When my GD is with me, we will not stand on buses. It is not safe for her and it is my responsibilty to make the right choice for her. If a bus even looks like it is going to be standing room, then we wait for the next one. There are always people behind you that are willing to stand, so would love to take your place on that standing room only bus. I'd rather take a few extra minutes and have her sit on the concrete at the bus stop, than take a chance of her having to attempt to stand on a moving bus. My 4 y/o GS is a normal healthy kid, but when I get the opportunity to take him down there in another year or so, he too will not be standing on a bus. He may be sitting in my lap, but he will not be standing. We will be waiting for the next bus if we need to. It is my responsibilty to see that he has a seat, not anyone elses.

Now I also go to WDW several times a year solo. On those trips sometimes I stand, sometimes I wait for a seat. Sometimes even after waiting for another bus, I'll still offer my seat to someone who needs it more. I have seen elderly people (usually with their grown children who should know better) that obviously need a seat getting on full buses. They obviously think someone will automatically offer their seat up to an elderly person. I still think they should have waited for the next bus like I did, but will offer those people seats. I will also offer a lady who is obviously in her last trimester a seat, (while still thinking she should have waited for the next bus). Someone holding a baby I will also offer a seat, (again still thinking that they should have waited for the next bus). A child old enough to hold on, sorry no, that child will not be getting the seat I waited for.

You know, I ride a lot of busses and trams and see kids, parents holding babies, elderly and pregnant women standing on them nearly every day. I cannot recall one time I saw someone sustain an injury in so doing. I dot think it is quiet as dangerous as it feels to people who are not used to seeing it.

You know I think alot of the problem may be that some people are not used to public transportation. I know around here, we are not. My 13 y/o GD has never been on a bus, except at WDW. She has never even ridden a school bus, because she has always lived close enough to her school to either walk or her mom drives her. My 4 y/o GS lives in a different town and is in Pre K, but he too has never ridden on any kind of bus. His other GM drives him to Pre K and picks him up every day. Kids who use public transportation everyday would probably have no problem with WDW transportation, because they are used to it.

I still remember a few years ago when I took my GD to WDW for her first ever trip. She freaked out, when she noticed the buses didn't have seat belts. She also wasn't too happy when she noticed the boats didn't require everyone to wear life jackets.:rotfl: When I assured her in both instances that it was OK, her response was, "We'd better not tell my mom. She's not going to like this".:rotfl: When I told her that school buses didn't have seat belts, she argued that they did, that the law would require it. I hadn't really realized it until that time that she had never been inside of a school bus.

You know I think alot of the problem may be that some people are not used to public transportation.
Oh, I completly agree:thumbsup2 Actually the first public transit my kids ever rode was at WDW. Luckily they just assumed that whatever was obviously "normal" on those busses must be normal for busses and we had no issue there (we have only lived in the land of great public transit for a year). I guess my point is that not being familiar with how public transportation normally works does not mean that Disney should change there system--it just means those who do not normally use public transit need to accept that this IS normal (and reasonably safe) and either go with the flow (as you and your DGD did:goodvibes) or else choose to use an alternate means of transit if they are uncomfortable with it (rental car, taxi, etc) rather than writing Disney to demand change.

. I looked around and realized that almost everyone in the seats appeared to be a couple - almost all young people dressed for a night out at Pleasure Island. Not one offered a seat for my daughter. I wanted to scream out to all the girls and say, "Do you really want to date someone who would not give up their seat to a 2 year old?!!!!!":headache:
;))

:rotfl2::thumbsup2:rotfl: tag fairy.... this is great!!!

ok, chiming in, probably repetitive. hubby has had 5 foot surgeries. even so, the one foot will always be bigger than the other, and is always aching. after a day in the parks, screaming.
that being said, he almost always gives up a seat. not just to the elderly, kids etc. etc. but... to.... ladies.(I say almost, cause if I know he is just dying with the pain, I will shove him into the window seat, (for his own good) so he won't jump up. I swear, he almost NEVER sits on a bus.
and I, also get up for the elderly and little kids . (once you're 10 or so, you're no longer "little").
it does irk me, however, to see people letting their little ones take up a whole seat instead of putting them on their lap. or, what about the person who takes up a seat with their backpack or packages?(I always say,"excuse me, can you move your bag so I can sit? when that occurs, I ususally give up my seat afterwords on purpose, just to prove a point to the original "extra seat hogger":rolleyes:
a slightly dif. scenario:... at park end, many want to get back to the resort as soon as possible,(even if we have to stand). the bus driver says "go as far back as possible!!)
there always seems to be the dad with the huge stroller who won't move back, insists on standing next to his family. so now 10 people who could have fit, can't. really, you're going to the same resort.

all this aside, I think it is just common courtesy for able bodied people (including older kids and teens)to give up seats to pregnant women, elderly, and littlechildren. but I go by the situation. If someone looks like they are having a hard time, so what if they don't fit a "category"? if I see someone struggling, of course they can have my seat. (or if they are having trouble holding on with their package, maybe they can't have my seat, but I'll put their package on my lap.) judge by the situation.

but, again, as a PP stated, you never know. maybe someone DID purposely give up their turn on a bus and wait for the next bus, JUST so they could have a seat. try not to judge too harshly. you never know.

Oh, I completly agree:thumbsup2 Actually the first public transit my kids ever rode was at WDW. Luckily they just assumed that whatever was obviously "normal" on those busses must be normal for busses and we had no issue there (we have only lived in the land of great public transit for a year). I guess my point is that not being familiar with how public transportation normally works does not mean that Disney should change there system--it just means those who do not normally use public transit need to accept that this IS normal (and reasonably safe) and either go with the flow (as you and your DGD did:goodvibes) or else choose to use an alternate means of transit if they are uncomfortable with it (rental car, taxi, etc) rather than writing Disney to demand change.

It rather silly to write off someone that believes in common courtesy and kindness toward their fellow man as someone who is just not used to being with the masses on public transportation. I've witnessed plenty of politeness on the T in Boston..as well as many forms of public transportation in the USA as well as overseas..Germany included. So I don't buy your argument. Common courtesy makes it pleasant for all involved. Where ever you may be. Self-reliance is great too...they don't need to be mutually exclusive.

It rather silly to write off someone that believes in common courtesy and kindness toward their fellow man as someone who is just not used to being with the masses on public transportation. I've witnessed plenty of politeness on the T in Boston..as well as many forms of public transportation in the USA as well as overseas..Germany included. So I don't buy your argument. Common courtesy makes it pleasant for all involved. Where ever you may be. Self-reliance is great too...they don't need to be mutually exclusive.

Her post isn't about common courtesy or kindness.
She's responding to the posters who are saying people should not be allowed to stand on the buses.

When I told her that school buses didn't have seat belts, she argued that they did, that the law would require it. I hadn't really realized it until that time that she had never been inside of a school bus.

Our school buses do have seat belts.

When helping a Pre-K student board the bus, we were required to get on the bus and buckle them in. For students in K-12, it is left to them to buckle or not.

I'll turn this thread to where it is eventually going to go.

Having a child is not a disability. Leave the park earlier (before the big crowds); wait for the next bus (so you are the first ones on); drive your own car; or deal with standing.

Is it nice of others to stand for you? Sure (and I probably would). Should you expect it? Nope.

I agree to a point, but when you did leave early, then wait almost 40 mins for a bus, have 3 ecvs and their parties board first( despite the fact that you were near the front of the line BEFORE they pulled up), then have no seat..Sorry.Not acceptable, not going to wait another 40 mins with a small child.I had no issue standing holding my kid, but I don't need the stink eye or the lip when all 5 ft of me trying to hold onto a 40lb child loses their grip because the bus driver turns fast and my kid falls.I felt bad enough I lost my grip and she fell, and that is what it took to get a 20 something let her sit.

Her post isn't about common courtesy or kindness.
She's responding to the posters who are saying people should not be allowed to stand on the buses.

As Disneyjunkie pointed out, I was indeed responding to the point that had been made that standing on busses should not be allowed (I believe it was called both unsafe and ridiculous and a couple of times in the thread it has been insinuated that Dosney is the only place that allows this). It is a bit if a tangent that this thread has gone off on.

As to your comment on what you thought I meant: I have seen lots and lots of people be polite and nice on public transit the world over (including Boston--we rode the T often when we lived in NH, and here in Germany). I never said otherwise. I think it is very nice when people offer their seats who others who made need them more. Again, my family usually makes such offers as well. I just don't think anyone should get on expecting to have seats offered to them, OTHER than those in wheelchairs/scooters which have seats designated as FOR them. I rarely see those who are used to riding on public transit EXPECT such offers (though they make them often), but I often see those for whom it is a novelty expect it. So maybe there is a bit of a connection there:confused3 but I was certainly not trying to draw such a parrellel.

Excellent post! See my post above. When my GD is with me, we will not stand on buses. It is not safe for her and it is my responsibilty to make the right choice for her. If a bus even looks like it is going to be standing room, then we wait for the next one. There are always people behind you that are willing to stand, so would love to take your place on that standing room only bus. I'd rather take a few extra minutes and have her sit on the concrete at the bus stop, than take a chance of her having to attempt to stand on a moving bus. My 4 y/o GS is a normal healthy kid, but when I get the opportunity to take him down there in another year or so, he too will not be standing on a bus. He may be sitting in my lap, but he will not be standing. We will be waiting for the next bus if we need to. It is my responsibilty to see that he has a seat, not anyone elses.

Now I also go to WDW several times a year solo. On those trips sometimes I stand, sometimes I wait for a seat. Sometimes even after waiting for another bus, I'll still offer my seat to someone who needs it more. I have seen elderly people (usually with their grown children who should know better) that obviously need a seat getting on full buses. They obviously think someone will automatically offer their seat up to an elderly person. I still think they should have waited for the next bus like I did, but will offer those people seats. I will also offer a lady who is obviously in her last trimester a seat, (while still thinking she should have waited for the next bus). Someone holding a baby I will also offer a seat, (again still thinking that they should have waited for the next bus). A child old enough to hold on, sorry no, that child will not be getting the seat I waited for.

ITA! 2 thumbs up :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 and I cant agree with you more. This is how we use the busses also. :)

I agree to a point, but when you did leave early, then wait almost 40 mins for a bus, have 3 ecvs and their parties board first( despite the fact that you were near the front of the line BEFORE they pulled up), then have no seat..Sorry.Not acceptable, not going to wait another 40 mins with a small child.I had no issue standing holding my kid, but I don't need the stink eye or the lip when all 5 ft of me trying to hold onto a 40lb child loses their grip because the bus driver turns fast and my kid falls.I felt bad enough I lost my grip and she fell, and that is what it took to get a 20 something let her sit.

How old is your child? I only ask because I have a 6 year old is just about 40lbs, and when we went in 2008, he was still too big to be held especially on a moving bus.

I just don't get the thats what it took comment, because it really makes it sounds like you expected someone to give your a child a seat even before the incident.

How old is your child? I only ask because I have a 6 year old is just about 40lbs, and when we went in 2008, he was still too big to be held especially on a moving bus.

I just don't get the thats what it took comment, because it really makes it sounds like you expected someone to give your a child a seat even before the incident.

She at the time was 4 and only 37" tall, I could barely reach the strap being only 5ft myself,there was nowhere for her to hold on really, and I didn't sound like I expected anyone to give up their seat, but I guess maybe I did since I do in that case.But in any event I was struggling to hold her and hold on,and people were LAUGHING at me, including the person that eventually gave up his seat.Sorry if I sound rude, but I did wait and was at the front of the line for the bus that took 40 mins to arrive at the MK depot to go back to BW/BC/YC. I think disney needs to come up with a better method.I don't deny that ecv users have rights, but 3 rolled up after we were in line waiting and got to board first with their parties, and there was at least 20 people with them combined.Didn't leave much room for anyone else.

She at the time was 4 and only 37" tall, I could barely reach the strap being only 5ft myself,there was nowhere for her to hold on really, and I didn't sound like I expected anyone to give up their seat, but I guess maybe I did since I do in that case.But in any event I was struggling to hold her and hold on,and people were LAUGHING at me, including the person that eventually gave up his seat.Sorry if I sound rude, but I did wait and was at the front of the line for the bus that took 40 mins to arrive at the MK depot to go back to BW/BC/YC. I think disney needs to come up with a better method.I don't deny that ecv users have rights, but 3 rolled up after we were in line waiting and got to board first with their parties, and there was at least 20 people with them combined.Didn't leave much room for anyone else.

I was just trying to get a mental picture of how big your child was because 40lbs is alot to be holding while trying to stand on a moving bus. I don't think people needed to be laughing at you, and giving you dirty looks etc,thats very rude and i can understand the frustration with the huge party getting to board without having to wait the 40 minutes like you did. However, it was still your choice to get on the bus with your child when it had standing room only, and I find it odd that you would "expect" someone to give your a child a seat when you made that choice yourself.
My ds was just under 5 when we went and just about the same size, when we stood I made sure we had a place for him to hold onto, and he stayed next to my body so I could keep him from falling, and my hand was over his so he didn't lose his grip. I could have never carried that much weight and maintained stability, and wouldn't even try. I guess I just don't get that you risked it, and it failed (she fell off) and somehow that becomes a reason to chastize people who don't give up their seats :confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter