Vegetarian at Disney?

Disneydreamsdancer

Mouseketeer
Hi! My mom and I are off to Disney in a couple of months and I was wondering what the food is like for those of us that dont eat eat? I'm meat intolerant (boy do I miss bacon :sad1: ) and have trouble in most restaurants finding an alternative that isnt salad, there's only so much lettuce I can take! :rotfl: I usually end up with kids meals as they tend to include sandwiches without meat & snack foods. Is there much choice at Disneyland? Also can I order a kids meal from a counter service place being an adult? I am happy to pay adult price, I just usually find the options & serving size preferable. Im not really picky...honest! Any suggestions? :)

Hi! My mom and I are off to Disney in a couple of months and I was wondering what the food is like for those of us that dont eat eat? I'm meat intolerant (boy do I miss bacon :sad1: ) and have trouble in most restaurants finding an alternative that isnt salad, there's only so much lettuce I can take! :rotfl: I usually end up with kids meals as they tend to include sandwiches without meat & snack foods. Is there much choice at Disneyland? Also can I order a kids meal from a counter service place being an adult? I am happy to pay adult price, I just usually find the options & serving size preferable. Im not really picky...honest! Any suggestions? :)

I am a vegetarian and I feast at the Park. :D I have called ahead to make sure that things listed as vegetarian really are (and not like some places that think chicken stock does not count). Sometimes I get the bacon on the side for my DH at Carnation Cafe, and they bring it on a separate plate for him. :D But there is tasty things at the mexican place in Frontierland (can't remember the name), the veggie gumbo at Royal Veranda is tasty. In fact, most places have veggie options that is pretty good. Veggie Po Boy at River Belle, Fried Green tomato sandwhich at Hungry Bear (will be trying this trip), and the list goes on. :) We have more issues eating in DTD than in the Parks. Though I did find the veggie options at Ariel's to be sad (over cooked pasta).
If you make any PS's tell them then you are vegetarian, and tell your server. I have never had a problem with finding tasty stuff to eat.

In fact, I have only resorted to "salad" at Cafe Orleans so I did not feel so guilty about my pomme frittes. :lmao:

I think that Disney is one of the most accommodating places ever for those with special diets. I'm no longer a vegetarian, but I'm totally gluten intolerant, and so can't have even the tiniest amount of flour or many other grains (which is pretty much in everything).

The first stop of every visit is at City Hall, where they have a huge printed out list of all of the gluten-free food in the park that I can eat. I'm almost positive that they have the same thing for vegetarians.

I was vegetarian years ago when we went to WDW, and I had no problems at all with eating well. Definitely check with City Hall, because it's so nice to have a definitive list of the entire park, and be able to plan your meals ahead of time.

I am a vegetarian and go to Disneyland about 4 times a year and have never had to eat a salad. The sauce on The Fried Green Tomato sandwich at Hungry Bear has anchovies in it so ask for no sauce if ordering this. the Mexican Restaurant in frontier land has vegetarian tacos and buritos and the retried beans are even vegetarian. There are veggie burgers at the restaurant next to Soarin'. There are many many tasty options!

You owe it to yourself to go to either Blue Bayou or Cafe Orleans to get the meatless Monte Cristo!

The Bengal BBQ (Just outside of Indiana Jones/Jungle Cruise) has veggie skewers :confused3

I'm not a vegetarian, however the Vegetable Gumbo in New Orleans Square is AMAZING.

Kristan in NorCal

I am not vegetarian, but sometimes order a vegetarian dish. However, I want to warn you that the Veggie Burger I had at DL was the most NASTY thing i have ever eaten. It just tasted foul, and the big corn kernels were gross. I actually threw it away.

I am not a vegetarian but last week we were in DL and it was so hot and so crowded, DH and I decided to have lunch at StoryTeller's Cafe inside the GC.

I ordered their "Fire-Roasted Vegetable Soup" and it was absolutely delicious. I told the waiter when he came by with our sandwiches and he said to me, "would you believe its vegetarian" … YUMMMY. It was so good. :goodvibes

OP, you may want to check out StoryTeller's Cafe to see if they have other vegetarian options! :thumbsup2

I am not vegetarian, but sometimes order a vegetarian dish. However, I want to warn you that the Veggie Burger I had at DL was the most NASTY thing i have ever eaten. It just tasted foul, and the big corn kernels were gross. I actually threw it away.

People either love them or hate them. I'm on the LOVE side. It's the Malibu gardenburger, and has chunks of vegetables, which makes me swoon happily (but caused a MASSIVE, super-fun:rolleyes1, food-based tantrum in my then 5 year old son...he loves broccoli, but not in his veggie burgers!)

Now what was bad, IMO, was when they were selling the Black Bean Burgers, but not calling them that. So you expect a normal veggie burger, and get a mouthful of beans and cumin....NOT what I was expecting. (but other people loved those!)

I am vegetarin and eat like a king at DL and CA. Here is a list I made. It also has where they service chicken nuggets because my son loves nuggets.

Restaurants: Disneyland * Ask for things not as a combo for lower prices
• Hungry Bear-Veggie Burgers ??, Fried Green Tomato Sandwich and Chicken Nuggets
• Tomorrowland Terrace-Veggie Burgers and Chicken Nuggets (Breakfast)
• Village Haus Restaurant- Cheese Pizza
• Daisy’s Diner – Cheese Pizza
• Rancho del Zocalo- Tostado Salad, Red Chili Enchilada Platter, Soft Taco Monterery
• Café Orleans – 3 Cheese Monte Cristo, N’awlins Vegetable Ragout, Mickey Beignets, Chicken Breast w/ Pasta, Cheesy Mac
• Bangal Barbecue – Vegetable Skewers
• Harbour Galley – Broccoli & cheese soup (chicken broth), Vegi Chili
• Redd Rocket Pizza-Pizza and Pasta
• Royal Street Veranda-Vegetarian Gumbo in bread bowl
• Stage Door Café-Chicken nuggets, Fish & Chips
• Troubadour Tavern- Baked Potato with Broccoli & cheese, corn on the cob
• River Belle Terrace – Vegi Po’ Boy Sandwich, Breakfast

Restaurants: California Adventure
• Pacific Wharf Café-Vallejo Vegetarian chili
• Taste Pilots Grill-Vegi Burger, chicken nuggets
• Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta
• Luckey Fortune Cookery
• Paradise Garden Grill

I tried the pasta at Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta a few weeks ago and it was really good. I asked them to make me a spaghetti with only red sauce and leave off the meatball which they did. The flatbread pizza was very good.

Lots of options. You won't find time to eat it all.

Thank you all for your help!!! :goodvibes I'm really looking forward to eating at Dinsye now...is that sad? So glad to find out that I wont have to eat salad everywhere, yay for good vegetarian food! :thumbsup2

I tried the pasta at Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta a few weeks ago and it was really good. I asked them to make me a spaghetti with only red sauce and leave off the meatball which they did. The flatbread pizza was very good.

Lots of options. You won't find time to eat it all.

I've heard many good things about this place, can't wait to try it out, italian food is my favourite and pasta is so great to keep the energy up during a long day in the park! Thanks for the list :goodvibes

I am not a vegetarian but last week we were in DL and it was so hot and so crowded, DH and I decided to have lunch at StoryTeller's Cafe inside the GC.

I ordered their "Fire-Roasted Vegetable Soup" and it was absolutely delicious. I told the waiter when he came by with our sandwiches and he said to me, "would you believe its vegetarian" … YUMMMY. It was so good. :goodvibes

OP, you may want to check out StoryTeller's Cafe to see if they have other vegetarian options! :thumbsup2

Storytellers sounds great! Think I might try here for my birthday dinner :thumbsup2

The sauce on The Fried Green Tomato sandwich at Hungry Bear has anchovies in it so ask for no sauce if ordering this.

Thank you for this tidbit. I had no idea (of course, I have not called on this sandwhich yet either).

The veggie option at Big Thunder Randy BBQ is pretty tasty. It takes a little longer to come out than the pot-o-meat, but it was yummy. It is skewers with potatoes, tofu, and veggies with BBQ sauce on it. I really liked it last year and I will be having it again a week from Sunday!!

And it it totally okay to be excited about eating at Disneyland. I am every year!!:rotfl:

I happen to love the veggie burger at DL, but I have been a vegetarian for 17 years so it might not be so tasty to someone that eats meat.

The veggie option at Big Thunder Randy BBQ is pretty tasty. It takes a little longer to come out than the pot-o-meat, but it was yummy. It is skewers with potatoes, tofu, and veggies with BBQ sauce on it. I really liked it last year and I will be having it again a week from Sunday!!

And it it totally okay to be excited about eating at Disneyland. I am every year!!:rotfl:

That sounds yummy! I love BBQ sauce :goodvibes Glad to know i'm not the only one who gets so excited, i've got a countdown on my phone, makes my friends roll their eyes! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter