Value vs Moderates

Wonderdis

Mouseketeer
For a family of 4 with 2 boys (9 and 6) ... first trip to WDW.

Is it really worth paying the extra money to stay in a moderate (vs value) ?

If yes, which moderate do you recommend the best in terms of facility, convenient transportation to/from parks, food service etc ?

If no, which value do you recommend the best ?

Which value or moderate do you think would the boys enjoy the best ?

THANKS !

We have stayed (with a family, dds aged 9 and 6 on our last trip) at CBR once and Pop twice. We have decided that while we liked CBR it wasn't worth the additional cost and choose to stay at Pop.

The rooms are slightly smaller at a value and they don't have slides at the pools were the only things we really noticed. The food court at Pop is great, better than CBR. The beds are the same size at the two resorts. CBR was a more relaxing feel, but Pop is more fun. Personally I like the line for the buses at Pop. At CBR there isn't a line at the bus stops and more than once we were there waiting and when a bus pulled up people came from all over and crowded in front of us and we didn't make it on the bus. There are also multiple stops around the CBR resort and Pop there is only one.

Emily

Personally I don't think the mods are worth the extra money even if it is a couple hundred bucks more. JMO.

What I suggest is research the values (there is 4) then research the mods (not sure how many) and see what fits your budget, what looks fun and what interests the family has.

For instance if a value meets your budget well and the boys are sports fans, then All Star Sports might be what is best for you. And so on.

Resorts are just like restaurants, everyone likes and hates them all. So it really comes down to personal choice. ;)

Good luck and have a fun and safe trip.

It's a matter of personal opinion. We will skip a yearly visit if we can't stay at a moderate as we refuse to stay at a value -- did it once and never will again. Some people, however, love them.

It's a matter of personal opinion. We will skip a yearly visit if we can't stay at a moderate as we refuse to stay at a value -- did it once and never will again. Some people, however, love them.

I second this. Personal taste is clearly subjective. We did a value on our last trip and ended up at CBR for two nights. Even though it wasn't our first stay at either level that visit opened up our eyes to the fact that the values are just not for us anymore.

Like a PP said, look at the details of the few you are interested in and compare and contrast what they have to offer with what you are looking for in a hotel. Good luck with whatever you decide and have fun on your trip! :)

I haven't stayed at either yet, but we have booked POP this fall for our 3 night visit. We aren't opposed to ever staying at a moderate, but since this is a short trip and we only plan to sleep and shower in our room, we felt there was no reason to "waste" money.

The only on-site resort I've ever stayed at (excluding camping at Ft. Wilderness as a wee kid), has been Pop, and I can't say enough good things about it. The only advantage to the moderates is that: a) the rooms are slightly bigger, and b) the pools have waterslides.

However, I've never stayed at a moderate, so I can't speak from experience. Maybe some day I'll have the money and stay at a moderate, then I'll be a huge value-hater!

Something else to ponder is that, at least at CSR, you get 2 queen beds in the room instead of 2 doubles.

I think if you're considering a value resort you should check the schedules of any competitions taking place at Wide World of Sports. I think allears.com may have this info. If you see your trip will have you down there for any football, cheerleading, marching band, etc. championships STAY AWAY from the value resorts. Total nightmare. Teenagers running all over the place, up at all hours of the night, making a mess everywhere, taking over the pools, etc. And I have a child so it's not like I'm "opposed" to kids but it really can take much of the fun away from your stay. We were even getting random phone calls in the middle of the night from kids playing pranks. Not good.:mad: So again, see if you can find this info first.

Something else to ponder is that, at least at CSR, you get 2 queen beds in the room instead of 2 doubles.

I agree that the beds as CSR are very comfortable and larger. That being said even though CSR is beautiful, I feel that Pop is more DIsney. Pop has a newer feel. We've stayed at pop 2 times and CSR once. For transportation I would only stay at CSR if you had a car it's a big resort. Pop just seemed more convenient over all.

I don't like the value resorts and if at all possible, I avoid staying at them at all costs.

That being said and that I am biased in my opinion, I honestly think that a family of four would probably be more comfortable in a moderate resorts with the bigger room/beds.

We are a family of 6, so it is less expensive for us to get 2 rooms at a value, or a suite at All Star Music, than to stay anywhere else. We usually spend all day at the parks, and when we are done, we only use our room to shower and sleep in. The pools at the values are fun, and themed, though they have no pool slide. For us, a value resort is perfect.

However, my husband and I are planning a getaway for just the two of us, and we are going to CSR, a moderate. The reason: they have the largest Hot tub! There aren't any at the values. Also, CSR has many of the ammenities of a deluxe, for the price of a moderate. They also have newly remodeled rooms. Your kids will definitely enjoy the themed pools and slides at a moderate. There are lots of pictures of the resorts on the board, and Allearsnet.com has very good info and pictures too.

I have stayed at CBR 5x. POR 4x, PORFQ 1x, ASMo, 2x, ASSp 4x, ASMu 6x and Pop 2x.

If you plan to spend most of your time in the parks and just sleep, maybe eat, and do some fun swimming at your hotel a value should work FINE for you.

IMHO negatives for the values (many of which can be easily overcome) in no particular order:
1. No sit down restarant.
2. Limited food court choices. With kids, you won't have any problems. I am just not a "burger and fries" kind of person, so I mostly dine in the parks.
3. There can be noise outside your room. Two big hints are to always ask for a top floor room, facing AWAY from the pool. I've never had a problem getting this re

(Guess I hit the wrong key!)

4. The noise in the food court can be loud and the traffic in there can just be INSANE at peak times. (I think Pop is especially bad.) Remedy: eat early or dine in the parks.
5. The pools do not have a "real" deep end. I enjoy treading water and getting away from small screaming children. No such option.
6. Each value resort only has two pools.
7. Only one bus stop. This can be a plus or a minus.

As far as teen/school groups, as I am childless by choice, I cannot begin to be called Child Friend;y--yet I have stayed at ASSports TWICE during Pop Warner and expereinced no problems. If you are concerned, most competition events target (only) one value and one moderate. Find out which it is and avoid it.

My comments on moderates pros/cons:
1. With the exception of FQ, the moderate resorts are much larger and more spread out. On the positive side it can mean less room noise and just beautiful scenery. On the negative, long walks to food courts and numerous bus stops.
2. POR and PORFQ have very superior food courts with some unique offerings. CBR's food court is a glorifed version of the moderates.
3. If you like to take a nap during the day, the moderates will be more quiet.
4. The moderates have more of an "adult" feel to them. This can be a positive as well as a negative.

I have enjoyed every Disney resort at which I have stayed!!!

Aside from the All Stars being home to many groups, the basic differences between value and moderate are:

Room size, ceiling fan in the room, a small fridge, covered bus stop areas, a table service restaurant (except at POFQ), and a slide at the main pool.

Since it's geared more for conventions CSR is the only mod with two queen beds, and it has a small night club, and a fairly large hot tub and an outside bar/lounge area near the main building as well as the pool bar/food counter.

I've stayed in both. The rooms are a little bigger in a mod but not that noticable. When my children were smaller we stayed at a value. Much more fun for children. Last year when they were older we stayed at CBR. We loved it because it had waterslides and not as many children running around. The bus stops were tiring though at the mod. Now that we have a grandson- we are probably going to take him to POP. It's more kid friendly and everything is close. EVERYTHING is Disney at the values- more grown-up at the mods.

We have recently upgraded to mod and we'd do value again, but if we had our drothers- it's mod from now on. The bus stops at POR sold us- not standing in the sun in a cattle formation was enough for me to pay a little extra and the quiet!! :goodvibes

I have stayed at 2 mod. (FQ & CSR). Coronado Springs is very nice but this past Sept. I got a $99 rate at the Dolphin and I would stay there again if the rate was the same as the mods. (it is alot of the time). Dolphin was nicer to us and you get the option of the boat or walk to Epcot/DHS. Bus to MK/AK. (No Magical Express though). You get EMH too. The values are OK but I am like the PP about standing in the sun waiting AND I like my morning coffee in my room. Also, if you don't get preferred rooms it can be a LONG way back to the room after a long day at the parks.

Like others have said, it really just depends on your family.

Some things that the moderates have that the values don't:
1. A curtain between the bathroom area and the rest of the room. For a family not having the curtain may not be a big deal; but while going withr friends I wished we had had the curtain for more privacy while getting changed etc.
2. A small fridge is included. If you stay at a value, there's a $10 a day charge.
3. The bathroom has a double sink. This often comes in handy for obvious reasons.
4. The pool has slides. If you decided to stay at CBR they have a really great kid section...
5. The main pool provides towels for guests.
6. 2 queen size beds

VS.

VALUE...(Pop Century, personally I think it's the best of the value)
The value is perfect if you don't plan on spending too much time in your room. Also, the theming is awesome; your kids would enjoy it. Like others have said there's only one spot where the busses come to pick up which is convenient. I really like it here, it's just a really fun atmosphere.
The rooms are the smallest though which can become crazy.

Some tips if you decide to stay at Pop:
1. Bring a pop up hamper to bring to keep clothes in.
2. Bring an over the door shoe organizer for the bathroom area. Everything tends to get cluttered there; this provides some organization.
3. I believe most dollar stores carry these; there's toothbrush holders with sunction cups on to hang on the mirror.
I know there's a ton more space saver tips; just look around the boards!

Have fun!

Here is how I choose between a Value and a Moderate resort:

If I know I am going to be at the parks all day long and back to the resort to just sleep, I go for a Value resort. If I plan on spending a lot of time hanging around the resort, I choose a Moderate. Moderate resorts have more things to do than the Value resorts, plus they have nicer pool areas and a hot tub.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter