• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Valet Parking for Parks?

alvernon90

Two Decade Veteran
Having done my research on past threads, I'm almost afraid of opening up a very controversial and emotional issue, but my first trip ever is coming up in September and I'd appreciate clarification from experienced members.

From what I can tell, valet parking is open to offsite guests, has no time limit, and (except for a tip) costs the same as parking in the main lots.

To me, that sounds like I could valet my rental car at the Beach Club in the morning, park hop all day, end the day at Jellyrolls, and pick up the car at the hotel to drive home. Similarly, I could valet park at the Contemporary and walk to the MK, and then pick it up at the end of the day.

I know that "can" and "should" are two different issues on this board, so I'll ask it as both:

1. Can I really do this without getting my car towed?

2. Is this a violation of the spirit of the valet parking rules? Does it make a difference if I plan to eat at the hotel where I park (either breakfast before opening or dinner after closing)?

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Well since they charge you 6.00 to valet park at the resorts now, it is up to you. The parks cost 6.00 to park also. Personally, I have always felt that the resort lots are for people paying to stay at the resort or having business there, valet included. what you do is up to you, personally, I would not do it.

Interesting question!
We never have a car when we stay at WDW, but I'll toss in my two cents on what I would be comfortable doing. I would park at a hotel if I was going to eat a meal there. We love to eat at many of the resort restaurants anyway, so personally I wouldn't feel that I was "cheating" if I had breakfast or dinner there and spent the rest of my time at the parks. Others may not agree, but that's what I would personally feel okay about doing...park there as long as I spent some money there!
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

I have to admit that we have visited WDW for the past twelve years mostly in January and twice in September. Because these months are so slow, in the past we have on occasion self-parked at resorts and walked to the Parks. (usually it's either Yacht and Beach Club or Boardwalk, and we walk into Epcot, but once we parked at Grand Floridian and walked to Magic Kingdom). We used to get in without any problems, but we don't do that anymore because since 9/11 Disney has stepped up security and they now stop you, ask for photo id and take your plate number down if you are visiting a resort (not a resort guest) We have since cut back on doing that unless we are having dinner at the resort.

VERY interesting spin on the Valet Parking ;) In a way it is the collective creative thinking like this that makes these boards so GREAT!

Anyway, we always park at our DVC resort where we are staying so I cannot give you any specific info EXCEPT that we are always asked our room number when we Valet Park (since Sept 11). I am not sure why - perhaps because we usually call down to have our car brought around before we leave our room, perhaps because they ask everyone - dunno.

Anyway, just so you know it is possible that they may ask you room number so you are prepared for that possibility.

Deb

alvernon90

I assume that you know that if you are staying at a Disney Resort and drive to the parks or the TTC - there is no charge to park....

I am aware of free parking for resort guests, but we will be staying offsite. We will also have hopper passes, so we are entitled to use the Disney transportation.

This is exactly why the valet parking for offsite guests seems too good to be true (or if it's true, it's very unfair). The $6 fee is a disincentive to resort guests who can park for free, but it is no disincentive to offsite guests who have to pay $6 anyway. Put another way, assuming a $2 tip, resort guests pay four times as much as offsite guests to take advantage of this terrific perk. ($2 extra for offsite guests, $8 total for resort guests)

From what I can tell, limited parking at the resorts isn't really much of an issue in September (though I've never been, so I don't know). Because the parks are closing *so* early in September, we plan to eat dinner at the resorts after park closing. Using valet parking at the resort where we will end the evening, as opposed to adding to closing traffic by moving the car, seems reasonable to me and definitely within the letter of the law.

Of course, I'm still open to alternative viewpoints or any evidence that Disney frowns on this.

Alvernon90 -many of the years that I went and self parked on resort property I was NOT staying on property. We usually spent two weeks in the area, so we would take a day or two, and just check out the resort properties, and NOBODY ever frowned on us visiting or just parking there even though we weren't registered guests. That's how we figured out we could park at Yacht and Beach Club or Boardwalk and use the World Showcase entrance to EPCOT.

Even on our last trip we went to Animal Kingdom Lodge just to check it out and the security guard asked if we were registered or just visiting. We said just visiting, so he looked at our photo ID took our license plate number and pleasantly wished us a good evening. We have never felt unwelcome or like somebody was going to ask us to leave. We have, however, never used the valet, so I'm not sure how the valets would feel, but basically I think the attitude is that if they let you on their property, your bound to pull out your wallet sooner or later, and that's alright with them!

With the opening of the BC Villas, parking may be at a premium at the BC/YC. At the BW, you may have to self-park across the road from the BW instead of the resort guest parking lot.

Why is it nobody from offsite parks at the Dolphin or Swan, just the BC/YC or BW?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter