Valentine's Day Traditions

Frozen Canuck

DIS Veteran
For as long as I can remember, I have always given our kids one book, one treat (chocolate), and one small trinket (a Lego set, doll outfit, etc.), which is placed at their breakfast spot on Valentine's Day. Even now, my fully-grown and independent daughter is sending me messages with possible book suggestions, "just in case I want to get her a book for Valentine's Day." I will occasionally make a handmade card, but that is rare. Sometimes I will plan a special meal, like making a heart-shaped pizza, but again, that is hit or miss depending upon our schedule.

The one tradition we have never really gotten into much is the whole "hand out Valentine's to everyone you know" one, though we have been known to bake, decorate, and package sugar cookies to hand out in lieu of cards.

Any family Valentine's traditions at your house?

For as long as I can remember, I have always given our kids one book, one treat (chocolate), and one small trinket (a Lego set, doll outfit, etc.), which is placed at their breakfast spot on Valentine's Day. Even now, my fully-grown and independent daughter is sending me messages with possible book suggestions, "just in case I want to get her a book for Valentine's Day." I will occasionally make a handmade card, but that is rare. Sometimes I will plan a special meal, like making a heart-shaped pizza, but again, that is hit or miss depending upon our schedule.

The one tradition we have never really gotten into much is the whole "hand out Valentine's to everyone you know" one, though we have been known to bake, decorate, and package sugar cookies to hand out in lieu of cards.

Any family Valentine's traditions at your house?
Valentine's Day is not a day we ever focused on our DS. It's a romantic thing between DH and I and can include any gesture from cards to gifts to a fancy dinner or a weekend away. Unless the Covid restrictions change it will likely be just cards and flowers this year.

We go out to eat and give cards. I found my card left in a drawer. She had business to attend to and I won’t see her until after that time. I’ll open it that day.

Not really. I used to help DS do cards for school back when that was a thing, but we never had any consistent family traditions. I think I may have made heart-shaped food a couple of times, and I did send a college care package for Valentine's Day last year.

Now St. Patrick's Day was another story - when he was younger, we started a "Lucky Charms breakfast Sundae" tradition - ice cream for breakfast, with Lucky Charms and whipped cream on it!

Not really. I used to help DS do cards for school back when that was a thing, but we never had any consistent family traditions. I think I may have made heart-shaped food a couple of times, and I did send a college care package for Valentine's Day last year.

Now St. Patrick's Day was another story - when he was younger, we started a "Lucky Charms breakfast Sundae" tradition - ice cream for breakfast, with Lucky Charms and whipped cream on it!
:goodvibes Yes, that was kind of a big deal in elementary school and they always had an afternoon party when the cards were opened. Everybody gave to everybody so there was no issue with hurt feelings. As the years went on and it wasn't a formal thing at school, DS would still give cards to various people. He and his guy friends would goof each other with the pinkest, frilliest, little-girlish cards they could find.

Our tradition is to do a big family breakfast for dinner complete with special dishes and a tablecloth I got on sale one year at Target along with acrylic wine glasses. I make a big pink puffed oven pancake served with homemade strawberry sauce and we have all sorts of delicious things such as a cheese plate, pink smoothies, bacon, potatoes, etc. For dessert, we have chocolate-covered strawberries. It's a lot of fun and the kids really look forward to it. My DH and my first date was on Valentine's Day and we got engaged on that day as well. We only celebrate though when it's a milestone anniversary. This year will be the 25th anniversary of our first date. We want to celebrate but haven't figured out how because of COVID.

Our tradition is to do a big family breakfast for dinner complete with special dishes and a tablecloth I got on sale one year at Target along with acrylic wine glasses. I make a big pink puffed oven pancake served with homemade strawberry sauce and we have all sorts of delicious things such as a cheese plate, pink smoothies, bacon, potatoes, etc. For dessert, we have chocolate-covered strawberries. It's a lot of fun and the kids really look forward to it.

I love this! I wish I had the planning skills, energy, and creativity to pull this off.

My husband and I had our first date on February 12th, so we actually decided years ago to celebrate Valentines Day then. Depending on the day of the week we would go the movies, out to eat, etc. Some years we ordered takeout.

For our daughter, we usually make a card or a clue to where she can find her valentine.

No traditions. DH and I exchange cards, that’s about it. We don’t go out for dinner and I told him to stop bringing me flowers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter