Valentine's Day Traditions

I can't really think of any traditions. I do remember once when we kids, my sister and I made what we thought was a romantic, candlelit dinner for my parents. It was cheese sandwiches. And it ended abruptly with my Dad saying, "turn on the damn lights, I can't see my food." My parents were not exactly star-crossed lovers.

I always get the kids $1 box of chocolates. I started this tradition so they wouldn't feel left out at school. Otherwise Valentine's is just a normal day around here.

No traditions for us, nothing something we really celebrate to be honest.
When the kids were little they'd take in the boxed cards - one for each classmate. That's been about 15-20 years ago?

Another nothing. Used to give cards at the beginning but haven’t given each other cards in a long time. I still have the ones we gave each other that I can look at but don’t unless cleaning out that drawer...lol My husband always added something on them to make me laugh , drawings as well. Cards getting ridiculous, not paying $9.00 for a card. I know you can get a dollar store one but the nicer ones are not there.

Funny when your single or just dating this date was important, as is New Years Eve. Now it’s just another day.

When the kids were little did cards for school and heart cookies.

That’s more than many here seem to do. In a way it’s too bad.
We have a hard time buying each other things for Christmas or birthdays, I don’t need more chocolate got a lot of that left from Christmas.

We show each other love everyday with the small things like emptying the dishwasher, putting gas in my car etc. Buying a favourite food at the grocery store or make him a pie are things I do for him.

No real valentine traditions here other than the preschool/grade school parties, BUT many years ago I had a 1st grade student who was all excited because at his house they did a dress up fancy candlelight family dinner at his house for Valentine's Day. I thought that was a great idea. We ended up doing that tradition, but on our anniversary each year for a long time when we had kids. (Since our anniversary was a few days before Christmas we had agreed from the get-go that it would always be a family celebration and we'd go out alone after Christmas at least until they got older.) I'd say we kept the formal dinner at home on our anniversary, complete with wedding cake, up until they were in about 2nd/4th grade.

Since we aren't eating out right now, maybe I'll reinstitute the fancy candlelight dinner at home for just me and DH this year for Valentine's Day. Formal, dress for dinner, occasions aren't anything we would do at home usually and, since we haven't had company, my nice dishes haven't even seen the light of day in a year.

Last edited:
I love this! I wish I had the planning skills, energy, and creativity to pull this off.
It doesn't require much work/ We have to eat dinner anyway so I just buy food to cook a meal like I normally would and my DH and the kids help me make it. Our grocery store offers chocolate-covered strawberries. I already have all of the special dishes.

DH and I exchange cards. Last few years, we get a heart-shaped pizza from a local pizzeria.

As a kid, I always got the traditional box of chocolates and my mom made red jello in a heart-shaped mold. 🙂

We usually go to Disneyland for dinner and do a few favorite rides afterward. Disney's El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood now shows "Lady and the Tramp" (the original version) over Valentine's Day week/weekend; so now we also add on dinner at one of our favorite Italian restaurants and a favorite movie. We also do a fun dinner at home one night and a movie (a favorite romantic comedy). Valentine's Day is more like a several days long palooza at our house. But no flowers-and-chocolates (I like them, but don't have to have them only because of the holiday) -- sharing the experiences is more fun for us. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter